PDA

View Full Version : What is Going On With Gonzalez?

RockRocks787
02-04-2009, 08:02 PM
NM Just found some answers

Chiefster
02-04-2009, 09:06 PM
FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Gonzalez: I'm willing to stick with Chiefs (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9180456/Gonzalez:-I%27m-willing-to-stick-with-Chiefs)

slc chief
02-04-2009, 09:28 PM
he is making ultimadems for the chiefs now do not get me wrong i love gonzo as a chief.but nobody is bigger than the game. he signed a contract extension he should have to honor that. i know i have to honor all of my contracts when it comes to work. but instead of releasing all of his frustrations in house. he is telling the reporters . i am not saying he should not be frustrated because i am frustrated with this past season.but i am saying he could be a little more professional and humble about it. not tell the chiefs he does not want to play for them if they hire a college coach. you have no say in the next coach gonzo leave it alone. you still are the best player to ever wear the uniform but you and larry popping off at the same time give me a break

Chiefster
02-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Agreed, but at least Gonzo has earned the right to "pop off." IMHO

slc chief
02-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Agreed, but at least Gonzo has earned the right to "pop off." IMHO

i agree it did not even feel right after writing it but i think hearing lj"s comments then hearing what gonzo had to say seams like they are bashing the very team i love

Chiefster
02-04-2009, 09:57 PM
i agree it did not even feel right after writing it but i think hearing lj"s comments then hearing what gonzo had to say seams like they are bashing the very team i love

I read ya. I just think that Gonzo wants to get what he has not yet attained but feels like he deserves, and LJ just needs to go away.

DT14PRIEST
02-05-2009, 06:00 AM
They're free to speak their mind regardless of fan opinion. We could boo them and be mad at their disparaging remarks but at the end of the day we don't sign his pay check, Clark does.

Regardless...

They can hoot and hollar all they want for I care, as long as they produce results on the feild (like Tony) and if they don't (like LJ) just kick him to the curb and get what you can for him (send LJ to Detroit and let him sulk over there).

I think the main thing to take away from both of their gripes with the current affair of things is that they both want to win yet one is willing to prove it (Gonzo) and the other isn't (LJ). I dont think Tony is a cancer but I do think that LJ's ego is a little misplaced considering is lack of productivity the past few years and his lack of professionalism off the field I fear for some of the impressionable people in the locker room and the general appeal KC can have to the public eye when a bad egg like him is stinking up the place.

Also remember they're both under contract so really its more of a temper tantrum imo...

KCraised
02-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I disagree....don't sign contracts if you don't feel like fulfilling them. Not time to whine about it and repay the organization by showing your displeasure. The Chiefs have made him a VERY wealthy man and he is the toast of the town. Not a bad existence, if you ask me. He is nothing more than a tool in a mechanics toolbox and he is bought and paid for to do just that...to keep your mouth shut and perform to your ability. As much as I love T.G., I really don't care to hear his sad sob story in the media

KCraised
02-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Nice post, Chris....
The hypocrisy I chuckle at is when a player will hold out on his contract and miss training camp or even longer, while his "beloved" teammates try to run plays without thier superstar and the player states, "Its just business". Then, when they become disenchanted with a team, they want out because of wanting a playoff win or they aren't getting thier carries or whatnot, then it's not good enough when a GM says you are staying and HE states, "Its just business". Then they publicly roll around on the floor, whining and pouting that it's wrong....remind me why I still love this game? Lol

jmlamerson
02-05-2009, 03:35 PM
I disagree....don't sign contracts if you don't feel like fulfilling them. Not time to whine about it and repay the organization by showing your displeasure. The Chiefs have made him a VERY wealthy man and he is the toast of the town. Not a bad existence, if you ask me. He is nothing more than a tool in a mechanics toolbox and he is bought and paid for to do just that...to keep your mouth shut and perform to your ability. As much as I love T.G., I really don't care to hear his sad sob story in the media

That would make more sense if both sides had to abide by the contract. Management doesn't have to abide by anything - I don't blame players for doing what they have to do.

KCraised
02-05-2009, 04:50 PM
That would make more sense if both sides had to abide by the contract. Management doesn't have to abide by anything - I don't blame players for doing what they have to do.

So then you are saying players obviously would know that management doesn't have to abide by a contract, before they sign on the dotted line? If that's the case, they REALLY wouldn't have a reason to complain. I hope I'm reading that right.
So what's the use of a contract if management doesn't have to abide by it??? I'm sure I am missing something here;)

Canada
02-05-2009, 05:00 PM

So then why do we still have to pay LJ if he gets cut?

jmlamerson
02-05-2009, 05:06 PM
So then why do we still have to pay LJ if he gets cut?

We don't. The pro-rated portion of his signing bonus (which has already been paid to him) counts against or cap, but not one more dollar would go from One Arrowhead to LJ.

Those prorated portions are usually called "dead cap" money, because they count against the cap but aren't going towards active salary.

jmlamerson
02-05-2009, 05:11 PM
So then you are saying players obviously would know that management doesn't have to abide by a contract, before they sign on the dotted line? If that's the case, they REALLY wouldn't have a reason to complain. I hope I'm reading that right.
So what's the use of a contract if management doesn't have to abide by it??? I'm sure I am missing something here;)

One of us isn't making sense. A NFL contract, unlike a MLB or NBA one, isn't a guarenteed contract. Both players and owners enter into gamesmanship because of such. Players want as much money as they can get now, because ownership can cut them for injury (or any other reason). This is the same reason owners try to backload contracts, so that they can cut a player without compensation in case of injury or a drop in production.

Because of non-guarenteed contracts, every year has turned into a struggle. Especially as injuries continue to rise.

There's no such thing as a long-term contract in football. Both players and owners know it. It's only the fans who seem to think that they're binding any more.

KCraised
02-05-2009, 05:18 PM
One of us isn't making sense. A NFL contract, unlike a MLB or NBA one, isn't a guarenteed contract. Both players and owners enter into gamesmanship because of such. Players want as much money as they can get now, because ownership can cut them for injury (or any other reason). This is the same reason owners try to backload contracts, so that they can cut a player without compensation in case of injury or a drop in production.

Because of non-guarenteed contracts, every year has turned into a struggle. Especially as injuries continue to rise.

There's no such thing as a long-term contract in football. Both players and owners know it. It's only the fans who seem to think that they're binding any more.

Guilty, as charged.....very interesting information. How did you become enlightened? You have front office potential:)

jmlamerson
02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Guilty, as charged.....very interesting information. How did you become enlightened? You have front office potential:)

I agree, but shockingly Clark Hunt turned down my application. I'll have to keep building winning chiefs teams on Madden.

dbolan
02-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Nice post, Chris....
The hypocrisy I chuckle at is when a player will hold out on his contract and miss training camp or even longer, while his "beloved" teammates try to run plays without thier superstar and the player states, "Its just business". Then, when they become disenchanted with a team, they want out because of wanting a playoff win or they aren't getting thier carries or whatnot, then it's not good enough when a GM says you are staying and HE states, "Its just business". Then they publicly roll around on the floor, whining and pouting that it's wrong....remind me why I still love this game? Lol

That's why ALL contracts should be predominantly laced with incentives based on production. Then, the "do nothings" are weeded out real quick.

Too much of these 20+ million dollar signing bonuses for 4 year contracts, then the "yahoo" lays an egg or decides he wants out after he pockets the big cash or sprains and ankle and does not play for an entire season.

I am in total favor of a salary restructure and it could be as simple as saying there is "pool money" at each position. Whoever produces gets the bigger chunk. However, there is a max that anyone can get within ther pool...And this applies to EVERY team.

Incentive bonuses for leaders in their prospective field but that is also pooled and capped.

Let me ask this: When a player signs a contract with Nike, Gatorade, Campbell's, etc...Does their team get a cut of that money?? If not, why? That is what these over paid players ask for!!

honda522
02-06-2009, 02:38 PM
FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Gonzalez: I'm willing to stick with Chiefs (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9180456/Gonzalez:-I%27m-willing-to-stick-with-Chiefs)
UGH! I hate the media, just tell them to shut up. Hell half of them don't favor the Chiefs.

tornadospotter
02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
That's why ALL contracts should be predominantly laced with incentives based on production. Then, the "do nothings" are weeded out real quick.

Too much of these 20+ million dollar signing bonuses for 4 year contracts, then the "yahoo" lays an egg or decides he wants out after he pockets the big cash or sprains and ankle and does not play for an entire season.

I am in total favor of a salary restructure and it could be as simple as saying there is "pool money" at each position. Whoever produces gets the bigger chunk. However, there is a max that anyone can get within ther pool...And this applies to EVERY team.

Incentive bonuses for leaders in their prospective field but that is also pooled and capped.

Let me ask this: When a player signs a contract with Nike, Gatorade, Campbell's, etc...Does their team get a cut of that money?? If not, why? That is what these over paid players ask for!!
:sign0098: I agree.

jmlamerson
02-06-2009, 03:52 PM

A team that tried to make all contracts incentive based under the current labor agreement would end up in so much salary cap trouble that it would cripple the team.