PDA

View Full Version : Pioli and Big names

jap1
02-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I have been thinking of Piloi and his track record with NE. What I realized is that he isnt about the big names in Free Agency. Other than Randy Moss (who was more of a gamble after his stint in Oakland) he never spent big money on FA. I have no idea what that means for us as far as all the big name FAs being passed around (Peppers, Haynesworth, Suggs, Lewis, etc). He does have a good track record of putting together strong defenses, but with no FA superstars. The few big names they do sign are usually on the ugly side of their careers (Junior Seau) but tend to get the job done.

I have a feeling we may not be getting the big name guys, but instead a few guys who arent names you hear on ESPN all the time (i.e. Dansby, Vilma) who will get the job done.

Pioli did say in his press conference that he wanted to put together a strong successful team, not a team of all-stars.

Cant wait to see what this offseason will bring. At least with all the coaching and player drama we have something to talk about. haha:bananen_smilies046:

jmlamerson
02-05-2009, 03:02 PM
I have been thinking of Piloi and his track record with NE. What I realized is that he isnt about the big names in Free Agency. Other than Randy Moss (who was more of a gamble after his stint in Oakland) he never spent big money on FA. I have no idea what that means for us as far as all the big name FAs being passed around (Peppers, Haynesworth, Suggs, Lewis, etc). He does have a good track record of putting together strong defenses, but with no FA superstars. The few big names they do sign are usually on the ugly side of their careers (Junior Seau) but tend to get the job done.

I have a feeling we may not be getting the big name guys, but instead a few guys who arent names you hear on ESPN all the time (i.e. Dansby, Vilma) who will get the job done.

Pioli did say in his press conference that he wanted to put together a strong successful team, not a team of all-stars.

Cant wait to see what this offseason will bring. At least with all the coaching and player drama we have something to talk about. haha:bananen_smilies046:
He spent pretty decent money on LBs like Adalius Thomas and Roosevelt Colvin, a WR in Dante Stallworth, and a RB in Corey Dillon. But you're right for the most part. He hasn't gone after the big money guys - he's built through cheaper FAs and good drafts.

I still want Nnamdi Asomugha though - no matter the cost.

hermhater
02-05-2009, 03:52 PM

:sign0098:

Big Daddy Tek
02-05-2009, 03:54 PM
He spent pretty decent money on LBs like Adalius Thomas and Roosevelt Colvin, a WR in Dante Stallworth, and a RB in Corey Dillon. But you're right for the most part. He hasn't gone after the big money guys - he's built through cheaper FAs and good drafts.

Cornerback is the last position this team will go after, JM. No way they spend all that money on Nnamdi with all of the needs that must be filled.

jmlamerson
02-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Cornerback is the last position this team will go after, JM. No way they spend all that money on Nnamdi with all of the needs that must be filled.

I know you're right. But I can dream, can't I?

Just the thought of lining Asomugha and Flowers on opposite sides, with Carr as the best nickel back in the league makes me happy.

hometeam
02-05-2009, 04:37 PM
I would hope that whether a person is a big name or not does not factor into piolis decision making, only what the player is capable of and its effects on theam (play/leadership/salary cap/etc). I am fairly confident that Pioli is a mature decision maker when it comes to players, and cant be razzle dazzled by big names, PR, or flashystuff like say.. Al Davis~

chiefsfreak4life
02-05-2009, 08:32 PM
There are some good LB's that aren't the big names, that I would like to see:

Channing Crowder, Bart Scott, Eric Barton, Leroy Hill, Michael Boley. Other than Peppers and Suggs at DE, pickings are slim, but Chris Canty from Dallas might be a pretty good pick up.

Big Daddy Tek
02-05-2009, 09:20 PM

Just the thought of lining Asomugha and Flowers on opposite sides, with Carr as the best nickel back in the league makes me happy.

Im salivating.

PS- Dont forget my boy "Touchdown Leggett"

Coach
02-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Adalius Thomas was a pretty pricey free agent aquisition.

Adalius Thomas Contract: $22 Million in First Two Years - NFL FanHouse (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2007/03/05/adalius-thomas-contract-22-million-in-first-two-years/)

prough91
02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Here's a big name:

Jim

Chiefster
02-05-2009, 11:47 PM

No, dreaming is disallowed! :11: :D

theaxeeffect4311
02-06-2009, 02:49 AM
I have to wonder what Pioli is thinking for the offense. What linemen and WR he may grab from FA. Not to mention how the draft goes. This year is going to be interesting.

NWA Chief
02-06-2009, 11:09 PM
I see that Pioli did spend money on some big names but not that many players that just stood out. I think that this offseason will not be a big name market for us, rather than just an upgrade in talent. There are some no name guys that are better than lineman we got right now. I think the only big name players we should get need to be out of the draft.

Coach
02-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Here's a big name:

Jim
Big Jim is a beast.