PDA

View Full Version : **Official Thread : Haley offered KC HC job

texaschief
02-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Well, it finally comes to a close.
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/9187366/Sources:-Chiefs-offer-job-to-Cards%27-offensive-boss

texaschief
02-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm hoping Haley brings Bill Davis in as the DC.

texaschief
02-05-2009, 11:30 PM
At least this locks Ferentz out and will probably keep Gonzo at home.

texaschief
02-05-2009, 11:32 PM
How would that be his decision and why would you want to do that to The Gunn? He has been a decent coordinator over his many years here , the front office has managed to get less then great defensive players for him to cooridinate but he hasn't done too bad IMO.

Seriously? Gunther signed with the Lions a few weeks ago. Keep up bud.

texaschief
02-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Also, I hope this doesn't mean the Chiefs will go after Warner. I'd much rather see us try to bring back a young guy like Leinart for a draft pick or two in 2010.

texaschief
02-05-2009, 11:56 PM
I think Kurt will retire in the next year if he doesn't after this one. Leinart is Arizona future, they won't let him go.

I'm not so sure. The Cardinals' window is now and I doubt they'll go to a "rookie" QB for another couple years if they think they can win a Super Bowl. I think the Cards will do what they can to bring back this same team for the next couple years. This talk about Warner retiring is bogus. He's coming off another Super Bowl. There's no way he retires for another couple years. I'd be willing to bet almost anything that Warner will sign a two year extension with the Cardinals. Leinart would be a good trade piece for them if he's not perceived to be the starter for another couple years. The Cards could take the pick they get from the Chiefs next year and draft another QBOTF.

hermhater
02-05-2009, 11:57 PM
This kicks ***!!!!

Thanks for the post TC!!!

hometeam
02-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Fitz is staying in AZ.. Boldin on the other hand..

Vandelay
02-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Why would anyone want Leinart over Thigpen. Lienarts all about hollywood partys and having his face on entertainment tonight. I'll take Thigstyle's all out play anyday.

Unsterblich856
02-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Cardinals fan here. You guys got a live one here. He was a good coordinator and motivator. He'll also work wonders with Dwane Bowe, expect him to have a breakout season. Good luck to the future, I'll keep tabs on the Chiefs throughout the Haley saga.

josh1971
02-06-2009, 12:18 AM
I think this is pretty good news to have secured Haley. My main worry is still the defense.

jb

tornadospotter
02-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Cardinals fan here. You guys got a live one here. He was a good coordinator and motivator. He'll also work wonders with Dwane Bowe, expect him to have a breakout season. Good luck to the future, I'll keep tabs on the Chiefs throughout the Haley saga.
I do not know if this official yet, but if so thanks for your insight to Haley. We hope he will coach great things here in Chief Nation. Sorry for your loss.:11:

hometeam
02-06-2009, 12:32 AM
If he can develop Bowe, and get a good D coordinater in there (that he is not getting in the middle of his D, ala Herm) I think we are bound for playoff contention and WINs!

N TX Dave
02-06-2009, 12:49 AM
It is now on the Star's web page. Second link-

Haley accepts offer to be Chiefs coach - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/669/story/1020143.html)

Chiefster
02-06-2009, 01:01 AM
This comes as no surprise, and I personally am not disappointed that we have offered the position to an offensive minded coach, and that he has accepted it.

Sn@keIze
02-06-2009, 01:31 AM
I cant help but be skeptical bout Haley..

How is he going to help the worse D in the NFL last year?

How is he going to fix the worst pass rush in NFL history?

I hope we get a good D coord.

theaxeeffect4311
02-06-2009, 01:34 AM

I agree with you, but I have to think that if Pioli thinks that this is the right guy as the head coach, he must see something in him. And I think a lot of the problems on defense were based scheme and personnel. With a few off-season moves, the Chiefs could fix their defense.

texaschief
02-06-2009, 01:35 AM

All three of those things are the GM's responsibilities.

Sn@keIze
02-06-2009, 01:40 AM
All three of those things are the GM's responsibilities.Then CP shouldve told Herm to butt out and let Gunn do what he wants to do.

What Im saying is..Im excited from an offensive standpoint. Ill be happy if we get an awesome D coord. where the HC doesnt dictate the D coords. job.

Lazeye
02-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Good Times ! ! !

warcrychief
02-06-2009, 01:49 AM
its all coming together. Pioli and Haley are both from Bill Parcells tree. So im sure that they have enough knowledge to bring that side of the ball together.

brish
02-06-2009, 02:09 AM
I think we could have done alot worse (Ferentz) so, lets see how things shape up in the comming months. :)

Nel Toille
02-06-2009, 02:23 AM
This is exciting because it means we are going to target Crabtree. Even if you're against taking him at #3, you can at least be happy that some teams will be willing to trade a lot to get him. The two that come to mind are Seattle and Oakland, which have high first round picks, so we could trade, get a crapload of other good picks and still have high first round pick. That or we get Crabtree, who could easily be the best player to come out of this draft. This is a huge win/win situation for us. I'm really excited.

Big Daddy Tek
02-06-2009, 02:37 AM
If Pioli says it will work, than it will work. Congrats Haley and welcome aboard!

Cant believe you beat me to this one Tex! you basterd!

CJ25
02-06-2009, 04:40 AM
Very pleased it's Todd! :)
Needa good DC now

Any chance Scott may take Mark Sanchez??

chiefsfreak4life
02-06-2009, 08:07 AM
This is exciting because it means we are going to target Crabtree. Even if you're against taking him at #3, you can at least be happy that some teams will be willing to trade a lot to get him. The two that come to mind are Seattle and Oakland, which have high first round picks, so we could trade, get a crapload of other good picks and still have high first round pick. That or we get Crabtree, who could easily be the best player to come out of this draft. This is a huge win/win situation for us. I'm really excited.

This is my thinking as well, that we go after Crabtree, and make it known that we are. That way we could trade down or if noone wants to, we just take Crabtree!!

dbolan
02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
I told you so!

chiefnut
02-06-2009, 09:56 AM
i think our receiving corps is fine, not the best but ok for now. yes it would be great to get a 5 star receiver like crabtree, but not at the cost of passing on a starting O=lineman or pass rusher. the best scenario is to trade down so as to maybe get both. Bowe will get 100 rec /over 1,000yds if the QB [Thyggy?] gets some time to throw. even L J or Charles will run for 1500yds w/blocking. don't forget how well the cards o line protected & picked up the blitz against the eagles. this too i hope is the focus of our new coach, not just get a speedy receiver.

N TX Dave
02-06-2009, 10:08 AM

:drunkhb:
So we are going to go back to being an arena league team.

The key is who we bring in a DC and if he is given free hand on running it his way and not having to bend to the HC wants like the recent past.

It is a new begining for team a new GM, HC and DC don't be such a pessimast give them a chance before the bad vibes start flowing. We do not have any idea what the team will be like next year or two heck the new GM and HC have no idea right now so just chil out and give it a chance to unfold before us.
:11:
Look we wanted CP and HE gone well they are so be happy for now.

OTR Chiefs fan
02-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I think Haley is a good choice for us. He ran a spread offense in Arizona that I think will compliment the players we have now, especially Thigpen. Plus, I think LJ won't be around next season and if that's the case Charles and Smith fit that type of offense. I know some of you would like to pick Crabtree at #3 and I think he would be a good choice. But, I think that pick would be better spent on a O-lineman or pass rusher or trade down and get more picks. :D

hermhater
02-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Has he accepted yet?

jmlamerson
02-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Has he accepted yet?

Yes.

Thank goodness.

The Chiefs are back on track.

A real GM, a real HC, and soon to be real players.

This is what real teams do.

Coach
02-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Todd Haley will receive $12 million over four seasons as Chiefs head coach, a source told The Kansas City Star. A news conference is scheduled for 1 p.m., and KansasCity.com will have live audio when it starts.

More... (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1020945.html)

6xchamps
02-06-2009, 02:16 PM
press conference is on espnnews right now

josh1971
02-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Now then- GM in place, head coach in place...

I want to see a couple of things- who the DC will be, and what we're going to do during the Free Agency period.

I'll check the press conference out later.

jb

KU4LIFE
02-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Was very impressed with Haley in his press conference. Seemed down to earth and very much a football guy. Hard nosed, no nonsense, get the job done kind of guy. After seeing all the flash and no substance with Herm, I'm happy to see more of a old school kind of guy.

hermhater
02-06-2009, 03:18 PM
I heard on the way to work a press conference that Haley has been hired?

josh1971
02-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Yep- I was just watching some of the press conference. Can someone link to the whole thing? I can only find about 2 minutes of it.

Coach
02-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Kansas City Chiefs Chairman Clark Hunt announced on Friday that Todd Haley has been named head coach. Haley joins the team after spending the past two seasons as the offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals. At 41 years old, Haley becomes the

More... (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/02/06/todd_haley_named_kansas_city_chiefs_head_coach/)

Cardinalmaniac
02-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Congrats guys. I hope he can do for Dwayne Bowe what he helped do with Fitz & Boldin. Get ready for a fun offense....however kiss your running game goodbye :)

I'll miss Haley.

Bike
02-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Just because we got Haley doesn't mean Pioli ignores the defense. I think just the opposite. Pioli and Haley will bring somebody in here that can stuff the run.
You watch. Our D will be that much better without the HC dictating to the DC...

Bike
02-06-2009, 08:13 PM
He's young.
He's a motivater.
He gets in players faces.
He's a game planner.
He's hungry.
Watch out AFC!!

greg3564
02-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Congrats guys. I hope he can do for Dwayne Bowe what he helped do with Fitz & Boldin. Get ready for a fun offense....however kiss your running game goodbye :)

I'll miss Haley.

I don't think that's a fair statement. Yes your running game was the worst in the NFL. But, James was hurt and then a rookie RB was expected to carry the load. But in light of that Haley coached that offense to the Superbowl. I'm good with that. It shows an ability to adapt and that is something Herm Edwards couldn't do.

Coach
02-07-2009, 12:23 AM

Our best chance of trading down is with another team that also has a high draft pick. Trading #3 to Oakland so they can take Crabtree. Chiefs would swap 1st rd picks and get additional 2nd or 3rd round pick.

That would be ideal. Then the Chiefs could get good value with the #7 pick by taking the best DE or MLB on the board. They could get some OL help in the 2nd and 3rd with those picks.

BigRedRage
02-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Cards fan here, just wanted to say good luck with Haley. I don't know how much of our offense's success can be attributed to Todd (with players like Warner, Fitz, and Boldin I could probably put points on the board) but I know that Fitzgerald thanked Todd for always pressuring him to get better, maybe he will have a similar relationship with Bowe and maybe Bowe and Gonzalez can team up to be a deadly receiving tandem. A lot of that has to do with who's throwing the ball though, I see you going quarterback in the draft especially if Stafford is available (even though from what I saw of Thigpen in the preseason I wouldn't write him off just yet) and a lot of the burden will fall on the offensive line to keep him clean, even Peyton can't shine when he's on his back.

The thing I liked most about Haley though was the way he dealt with players who could become distractions (like in the now infamous Boldin NFC Championship "don't call me that" incident) He's not a players coach, he expects players to get up and do their jobs. That's why I'm interested to see how he deals with the Larry Johnson situation, and how he'll deal with Tony Gonzalez. Todd is a fiery guy who can lead a team and he isn't afraid to make the calls that when they work will make you stand up and proclaim him as the next Lombardi and when they don't work... well I'm sure you'll have some pretty choice words for that as well (Herm is a four letter word right?) I know I did.

(word of warning though, beware of the 'Haley Special' RB lines up next to the QB in shotgun formation with four receivers spread wide, QB hikes the ball running a draw play and gives the ball to the RB 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage with no running start and the RB usually dances in the backfield as the play is blown up and stopped for a loss. On the 3.7648% of plays when it works though you are left shaking your head convinced that you just witnessed the greatest 2 yard run in history.)

Well there's my two cents and I just wanted to say good luck again. You guys are my new AFC team to root for (nice colors by the way) so I'll be rooting for you unless you're playing the Cardinals of course. I'd stay and chat but the Cardinals boards are probably blowing up right now because we just fired our DC and Boldin wants out. So were in the same boat right now in terms of not knowing who are coordinators are going to be I don't know if any of our other coaches are going to follow Haley since they are all under contract but I thought I'd stop by and give my bit of analysis. Wow that turned out way longer than I originally planned.

BigRedRage
02-07-2009, 02:09 AM
Cards fan here, just wanted to say good luck with Haley. I don't know how much of our offense's success can be attributed to Todd (with players like Warner, Fitz, and Boldin I could probably put points on the board) but I know that Fitzgerald thanked Todd for always pressuring him to get better, maybe he will have a similar relationship with Bowe and maybe Bowe and Gonzalez can team up to be a deadly receiving tandem. A lot of that has to do with who's throwing the ball though, I see you going quarterback in the draft especially if Stafford is available (even though from what I saw of Thigpen in the preseason I wouldn't write him off just yet) and a lot of the burden will fall on the offensive line to keep him clean, even Peyton can't shine when he's on his back.

The thing I liked most about Haley though was the way he dealt with players who could become distractions (like in the now infamous Boldin NFC Championship "don't call me that" incident) He's not a players coach, he expects players to get up and do their jobs. That's why I'm interested to see how he deals with the Larry Johnson situation, and how he'll deal with Tony Gonzalez. Todd is a fiery guy who can lead a team and he isn't afraid to make the calls that when they work will make you stand up and proclaim him as the next Lombardi and when they don't work... well I'm sure you'll have some pretty choice words for that as well (Herm is a four letter word right?) I know I did.

(word of warning though, beware of the 'Haley Special' RB lines up next to the QB in shotgun formation with four receivers spread wide, QB hikes the ball running a draw play and gives the ball to the RB 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage with no running start and the RB usually dances in the backfield as the play is blown up and stopped for a loss. On the 3.7648% of plays when it works though you are left shaking your head convinced that you just witnessed the greatest 2 yard run in history.)

Well there's my two cents and I just wanted to say good luck again. You guys are my new AFC team to root for (nice colors by the way) so I'll be rooting for you unless you're playing the Cardinals of course. This is a big get considering the uncontrollable rage I felt towards my chemistry teacher, a Chiefs fan, but why let one person ruin it for me? I'd stay and chat but the Cardinals boards are probably blowing up right now because we just fired our DC and Boldin wants out. So were in the same boat right now in terms of not knowing who are coordinators are going to be I don't know if any of our other coaches are going to follow Haley since they are all under contract but I thought I'd stop by and give my bit of analysis.

texaschief
02-07-2009, 03:50 AM
If Pioli says it will work, than it will work. Congrats Haley and welcome aboard!

Cant believe you beat me to this one Tex! you basterd!

Yeah, well, some people SAY the Chiefs are their life, while others prove it... that's all I'm sayin. :D

Don't get all pissy with me. You know I'm great. :sign0102:

Canada
02-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah, well, some people SAY the Chiefs are their life, while others prove it... that's all I'm sayin. :D

Don't get all pissy with me. You know I'm great. :sign0102:

You were saying...

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/08/5.jpg

chief31
02-07-2009, 03:23 PM
First off, I wanna say...Thank God! I don't know what I would have done, had we brought Shanahan Here.

This is my thinking as well, that we go after Crabtree, and make it known that we are. That way we could trade down or if noone wants to, we just take Crabtree!!

I agree with this, except for the last word. WHere I would insert this... "An OT".

I'll miss Haley.

I said goodbye to our running game two seasons ago.

texaschief
02-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Canada, I'm still in aww. :sign0098:

Canada
02-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Canada, I'm still in aww. :sign0098:

:lol::bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
02-07-2009, 08:28 PM
welcome to the "Crowd" BigRedRage. Thanks for your insight on Haley! :)

chiefsfreak4life
02-10-2009, 10:24 PM
You were saying...

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/08/5.jpg

That's a sweet tat!

Canada
02-10-2009, 10:56 PM
:bananen_smilies046: Thanks man!!:bananen_smilies046:

warcrychief
02-11-2009, 05:38 PM
i think we need to draft a QB. We have the Cap money to and time to groom one. Let Thigpen start and the first round draft pick hold the clipboard.

AussieChiefsFan
02-17-2009, 04:09 AM
yeah we do need a QB, but we also need some DT's.

prough91
02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Here's what will suck. Let's say we draft a qb with the 3rd pick and plan to sit him for a year. Now, TyThig goes out and performs phenomenal. I mean t!ts out awesome. What do we do then?

Chief Tyler
02-17-2009, 10:59 AM
i think we need to draft a QB. We have the Cap money to and time to groom one. Let Thigpen start and the first round draft pick hold the clipboard.

For all the holes that need to be filled that cap money is going to be gone in a flash, why waste it when you've got Gray and probably Croyle on the sidelines? After all these months I'm still not sure how people can justify taking a QB. Imo they aren't the best players avaliable, if we weren't at #3 Sanchez would fall to 10 or lower. I'd rather use cap space on a proven free agent rather than giving one of the biggest contracts on the team to a potential bust who won't even start.

Chief Tyler
02-17-2009, 11:01 AM
yeah we do need a QB, but we also need some DT's.

We need a DT at most and a lot more, but not enough to draft BJ Raji at 3 imo (still have to wait for FA). I would much rather see us taking an OL, LB, even Crabtree over a QB.

chiefsfreak4life
02-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Here's what will suck. Let's say we draft a qb with the 3rd pick and plan to sit him for a year. Now, TyThig goes out and performs phenomenal. I mean t!ts out awesome. What do we do then?

Then we are in the same boat as Cleveland with the Derrick Anderson/Brady Quinn issue!

warcrychief
02-18-2009, 08:32 AM
For all the holes that need to be filled that cap money is going to be gone in a flash, why waste it when you've got Gray and probably Croyle on the sidelines? After all these months I'm still not sure how people can justify taking a QB. Imo they aren't the best players avaliable, if we weren't at #3 Sanchez would fall to 10 or lower. I'd rather use cap space on a proven free agent rather than giving one of the biggest contracts on the team to a potential bust who won't even start.

We havent had a QB since Green went down in 2006. How can you say that we dont need a QB? Thigpen had some nice highlights, but has proven he breaks under pressure. The QB is the most imortant postion on the team and you want Gray "never done anything in the NFL" and Croyle "A dirty look at me, i break" to back up Thigpen. NO Thanks. You think The Steelers got where they are bye standing by there man Charlie Batch and Tommy Maddox. We need a Franchise QB.

warcrychief
02-18-2009, 08:39 AM

Gee what a problem to have.

Ok so we dont draft Stafford or Sanchez? They go on to have good to great carreers. We are still looking for a QB that can get us over the top of better teams with good and great QB's. Just foolish.

chief31
02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
We havent had a QB since Green went down in 2006. How can you say that we dont need a QB? Thigpen had some nice highlights, but has proven he breaks under pressure. The QB is the most imortant postion on the team and you want Gray "never done anything in the NFL" and Croyle "A dirty look at me, i break" to back up Thigpen. NO Thanks. You think The Steelers got where they are bye standing by there man Charlie Batch and Tommy Maddox. We need a Franchise QB.

The Steelers also went to The Super Bowl with Neil Odonnell.

I don't think that the QB position is all that important. Not only do I think we can do without drafting one, you can have the bunch that we have now.

Give me a bunch of Pro-Bowl blockers, and a couple of undrafted FA QBs, and we'll be near the top of every offensive statistic.

Hell, give me a broken-down fumble-machine like Kurt Warner, and watch great pass-protection (And a spread offense) turn him into an MVP candidate.

warcrychief
02-18-2009, 09:58 AM
The Steelers also went to The Super Bowl with Neil Odonnell.

I don't think that the QB position is all that important. Not only do I think we can do without drafting one, you can have the bunch that we have now.

Give me a bunch of Pro-Bowl blockers, and a couple of undrafted FA QBs, and we'll be near the top of every offensive statistic.

Hell, give me a broken-down fumble-machine like Kurt Warner, and watch great pass-protection (And a spread offense) turn him into an MVP candidate.

But with Neil O'Donnell that was one year. And lost to a better QB 1st rounder Troy Aikman (been to the SB 3x). And Kurt lost to 1st rounder Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.nfl.com/players/benroethlisberger/profile?id=ROE750381) (been to the SB 2x). Give me a QB that can beat the best defenses. And be consistantley in the big games. And not be a stop gap. And bring us to the big game more times than once.

chief31
02-18-2009, 10:15 AM
But with Neil O'Donnell that was one year. And lost to a better QB 1st rounder Troy Aikman (been to the SB 3x). And Kurt lost to 1st rounder Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.nfl.com/players/benroethlisberger/profile?id=ROE750381) (been to the SB 2x). Give me a QB that can beat the best defenses. And be consistantley in the big games. And not be a stop gap. And bring us to the big game more times than once.

Odonnell and those Steelers were a top-notch team every year. And he may have gotten them back, had he been allowed to stay after that season.

And, Warner has been to two SBs too. Having beaten a first round pick the first time around.

Ever heard of Tom Brady? Trent Green? Rich Gannon? Kurt Warner, (Again)? Steve Young?
Hell, Brett Favre wasn't a first round pick. (2nd)

The best are usually either those top picks, many of whom get chance, after chance, after chance...after chance to succeed, or some nobody who finally gets a chance after some top pick was finally given up on.

The success rate for the guy who gets several chances isn't a whole lot better than tha of the nobody who gets one chance.

prough91
02-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Gee what a problem to have.

Ok so we dont draft Stafford or Sanchez? They go on to have good to great carreers. We are still looking for a QB that can get us over the top of better teams with good and great QB's. Just foolish.

There's no way anyone can judge TyThig accurately until he gets a decent line. He way exceeded everyone's expectations last year and it was his first year starting. And it would be a problem if he were to be a stand out qb next year. He's paid little and the guy holding the clipboard is eating up a lot of cap space.

warcrychief
02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Odonnell and those Steelers were a top-notch team every year. And he may have gotten them back, had he been allowed to stay after that season.

And, Warner has been to two SBs too. Having beaten a first round pick the first time around.

Ever heard of Tom Brady? Trent Green? Rich Gannon? Kurt Warner, (Again)? Steve Young?
Hell, Brett Favre wasn't a first round pick. (2nd)

The best are usually either those top picks, many of whom get chance, after chance, after chance...after chance to succeed, or some nobody who finally gets a chance after some top pick was finally given up on.

The success rate for the guy who gets several chances isn't a whole lot better than tha of the nobody who gets one chance.

Dude where have we been because we havent gone after a franchise QB?

warcrychief
02-18-2009, 11:10 AM
There's no way anyone can judge TyThig accurately until he gets a decent line. He way exceeded everyone's expectations last year and it was his first year starting. And it would be a problem if he were to be a stand out qb next year. He's paid little and the guy holding the clipboard is eating up a lot of cap space.

Thats a big if. And from what i saw he is decent. but crumbles under pressure. Id rather have more than one option at QB.

prough91
02-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Thats a big if. And from what i saw he is decent. but crumbles under pressure. Id rather have more than one option at QB.

What did you saw? One game?

chief31
02-18-2009, 12:13 PM

Dude where have we been because we havent gone after a franchise QB?

Blind speculation. Saying that that is the reason we haven't been to the Super Bowl.

The Patriots have been four times recently. But they didn't draft that guy.

The Cardinals just went with some washed-out has-been.

What jerk-off was QBing for The Bears? Oh, he was a "QBOTF" LMAO!

The Rams took a grocery bagger to two Super Bowls.

I kinda grant ya Big Ben. Eventhough that defense is clearly the reason that they are so good.

But suggesting that the fact hat we haven't drafted a QB is the reason we haven't been to the show, is rather short-sighted, or just neglectful of reality.

jmlamerson
02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Blind speculation. Saying that that is the reason we haven't been to the Super Bowl.

I kinda grant ya Big Ben. Eventhough that defense is clearly the reason that they are so good.

But suggesting that the fact hat we haven't drafted a QB is the reason we haven't been to the show, is rather short-sighted, or just neglectful of reality.

I dunno. I think the reason we haven't been to a SB is a mixture of bad luck (see Elliott, Lynn and Bono, Steve) and because CP never figured out how to build a winner in the salary cap era.

chief31
02-18-2009, 12:25 PM
I dunno. I think the reason we haven't been to a SB is a mixture of bad luck (see Elliott, Lynn and Bono, Steve) and because CP never figured out how to build a winner in the salary cap era.

Agreed. Along with a slew of other things.Not getting in at 10-6 in '05 could have cost us too. That was a much better team than most realize.

Roafs injury really hurt us in the standings.

chief31
02-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Willie missed six games that season, and we went 3-3 in his absence,

With him, we were 7-3.

warcrychief
02-18-2009, 09:03 PM

Dude you dont get it. Which teams go to the dance more?

every team in the AFC Playoffs had a 1st round QB.

Indianapolis, San Diego, Baltimore, Miami, Tennessee,
Pittsburgh.

Coach
02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Then we are in the same boat as Cleveland with the Derrick Anderson/Brady Quinn issue!

I think even us homers would agree that our situation isn't nearly as good as that one.

jmlamerson
02-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Dude you dont get it. Which teams go to the dance more?

every team in the AFC Playoffs had a 1st round QB.

Indianapolis, San Diego, Baltimore, Miami, Tennessee,
Pittsburgh.

Three in the NFC were as well (Manning, McNabb, and Ryan).

One was a second rounder (Tavaris Jackson).

Two were undrafted former SB entrants (Warner and Delhomme).

Or to put it another way, you'd either better have a first day QB or a former SB QB in the NFL today.

Sn@keIze
02-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Remember Rich Gannon?! A scramblin QB [in his youth]much like Thig. He played his butt off for us then we (or I should say CP) spit in his face. We all know what he did from there with the Gayders.

Now Im not saying not to draft QB, Im just saying not in the early rounds.

Let Thig continue to start. Hes earned it. Id rather see us playing against JaMarcus Russell than Thig. thats for sure. And there are plenty of teams out there who would love to have them on their squad. They recognize how good he is.

And on a more obvious note. Our D is unbelivably piss poor and a higher priority.

Canada
02-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I think even us homers would agree that our situation isn't nearly as good as that one.

It is now!! :bananen_smilies046:

warcrychief
02-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Now that we have Cassell I think Thiggy is our number 2 guy but I feel confident in saying if we need him he can perform. Croyle is our only loser in the QB stable. He needs to get just 1 win and he will get that lifted as far as I am concerned. I agree we need to get some D help like maybe a DE first then another LB unless Curry is available at #3overall which he may very well be. Kitna was sent to the Cowboys today so Detroit may take Stafford and I fully expect to see the Rams take a LT to replace Pace down the road. If Curry is there we have to take him, he is too good to not take.

Im with you on taking Curry (NOW that we have cassell) So no first round QB. A good leader in Verabel, it has to be Curry. Or we trade out for more picks. Now that sounds a bit better. Not as good as Curry, but that sounds good.