PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh, Salary Cap Room

okikcfan
02-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Go ahead and assemble that free-agent wish list, Chiefs fans. Dream big, because salary-cap room won’t be a problem.
And with new coach Todd Haley finally in the fold, he and general manager Scott Pioli can go to town.
A quarterback like New England’s Matt Cassel? Pioli knows about him firsthand.
A linebacker like Arizona’s Karlos Dansby? Haley watched him in practice every day of the season.
The Chiefs would be able to sign both those players and then some like Carolina’s pass-rusher Julius Peppers. Research by The Kansas City Star shows the Chiefs have salary-cap commitments of about $85.6 million, or about $37 million less than the projected NFL limit of $123 million.
The Chiefs could clear plenty more cap room without much pain. Patrick Surtain, the fourth cornerback, has the team’s highest salary-cap figure at almost $9.8 million. A player’s cost against the salary cap includes a player’s base salary plus various bonuses.
Releasing Surtain, who is due a $7 million salary, would save the Chiefs an additional $3.8 million against their cap.
Two other aging veterans who also may not figure in to Kansas City’s plans, linebacker Donnie Edwards and quarterback Damon Huard, are also among the Chiefs’ highest-paid players.
The Chiefs don’t have many prospective free agents of their own. Nine of their players don’t have a 2009 contract, and the only one the Chiefs would probably view as urgent to retain is safety Jarrad Page.
Page would be a restricted free agent, giving the Chiefs the right to match any offer he would receive as long as they offer him a one-year contract.
The Chiefs might also view backup safety Jon McGraw, a potential unrestricted free agent, as a valuable player because of his special-teams skills. McGraw in 2008 concluded a two-year contract that paid him $645,000 last season.

jmlamerson
02-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Go ahead and assemble that free-agent wish list, Chiefs fans. Dream big, because salary-cap room won’t be a problem.
And with new coach Todd Haley finally in the fold, he and general manager Scott Pioli can go to town.
A quarterback like New England’s Matt Cassel? Pioli knows about him firsthand.
A linebacker like Arizona’s Karlos Dansby? Haley watched him in practice every day of the season.
The Chiefs would be able to sign both those players and then some like Carolina’s pass-rusher Julius Peppers. Research by The Kansas City Star shows the Chiefs have salary-cap commitments of about $85.6 million, or about $37 million less than the projected NFL limit of $123 million.
The Chiefs could clear plenty more cap room without much pain. Patrick Surtain, the fourth cornerback, has the team’s highest salary-cap figure at almost $9.8 million. A player’s cost against the salary cap includes a player’s base salary plus various bonuses.
Releasing Surtain, who is due a $7 million salary, would save the Chiefs an additional $3.8 million against their cap.
Two other aging veterans who also may not figure in to Kansas City’s plans, linebacker Donnie Edwards and quarterback Damon Huard, are also among the Chiefs’ highest-paid players.
The Chiefs don’t have many prospective free agents of their own. Nine of their players don’t have a 2009 contract, and the only one the Chiefs would probably view as urgent to retain is safety Jarrad Page.
Page would be a restricted free agent, giving the Chiefs the right to match any offer he would receive as long as they offer him a one-year contract.
The Chiefs might also view backup safety Jon McGraw, a potential unrestricted free agent, as a valuable player because of his special-teams skills. McGraw in 2008 concluded a two-year contract that paid him $645,000 last season.

Top 3 Free Agents I Want:

1. Nnamdi Asomugha (CB)
2. Karlos Dansby (ROLB)
3. TJ Houshmenzadah (WR)

Top 3 Players I Want Cut:

1. LJ (RB)
2. Patrick Surtain (CB)
3. Donnie Edwards (ROLB)

Keep McGraw. Keep Page, but try to upgrade the position if possible.

balto
02-06-2009, 10:09 AM
TOP FA's I Want:

1) Suggs or Peppers (Need to fix our DE need first)
2) Dansby OLB or VIlma MLB
3) Gross RT

What we should do:

1) Huad OUT
2) Rework LJ's contract then trade him
3) Surtain OUT

LJ has said he would rework his contract IF it gets him out of KC. I see a couple of options

1) Just rework his contract so we don't get hurt and CUT him
2) Trade him straight up for Plax (Giants will need another RB and they are done dealing with Plax. This would also stop us from drafting Crabtree like we all know Haley will do)
3) Sign Brandon Jacobs in FA then trade LJ to the Giants for say a 6th or 5th round? I'm sure we can sign Jacobs cheaper then the contract we gave LJ so we would honestly be trading LJ for Jacobs and a 5th round pick.
4) See if the Packers will trade us Brohm for him hehehe
5) Just keep him

jmlamerson
02-06-2009, 10:27 AM
1) Just rework his contract so we don't get hurt and CUT him
2) Trade him straight up for Plax (Giants will need another RB and they are done dealing with Plax. This would also stop us from drafting Crabtree like we all know Haley will do)
3) Sign Brandon Jacobs in FA then trade LJ to the Giants for say a 6th or 5th round? I'm sure we can sign Jacobs cheaper then the contract we gave LJ so we would honestly be trading LJ for Jacobs and a 5th round pick.
4) See if the Packers will trade us Brohm for him hehehe
5) Just keep him

1) That doesn't make sense. We're only hurt by the prorated portion signing bonus we already gave him as it is. Reworking his contract won't make him any easier to cut.

2) The Giants aren't doing that trade.

3) The Giants aren't doing that trade.

4) The Packers aren't doing that trade.

5) No thanks.

N TX Dave
02-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I am not sure who the players I want in free agency but I do know most of them are on the defensive side of the ball start with a couple of LB and a passrush lineman any position we have to get better in the front 7 and be able to get pressure on the QB and not let him stand there and pick apart the DB's.

The next place I woul look at is the OL until they get solid the offense will not be able to do anything. We have to be able to run the ball if for no other reason than to keep the other teams defense from pining back their ears and coming after the QB everyplay.

chiefnut
02-06-2009, 10:32 AM
i'd like to see us rwork his contract and trade him for a third rounder, he is still a top 5 running back, even if all of you hate him and want him gone cause he is a bonehead. if we cannot get any value then just keep him. he'll complain but he'll perform if he thinks he can still be traded. i wouldn't trade or sign a FA back, Jamal can handle it w/maybe a rookie backup.

yashi
02-06-2009, 10:34 AM
1) Suggs or Peppers (Need to fix our DE need first)
3) Gross RT

Gross wants to stay with Carolina and will probably sign a huge contract while Peppers is franchised and traded. Basically, I don't think we'll be able to get Gross and Peppers will come at a high cost (draft picks).

chiefnut
02-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I am not sure who the players I want in free agency but I do know most of them are on the defensive side of the ball start with a couple of LB and a passrush lineman any position we have to get better in the front 7 and be able to get pressure on the QB and not let him stand there and pick apart the DB's.

The next place I woul look at is the OL until they get solid the offense will not be able to do anything. We have to be able to run the ball if for no other reason than to keep the other teams defense from pining back their ears and coming after the QB everyplay.

:yahoo: :bananen_smilies046: Dave you are a kindred spirit, thats exactly what i have been saying. BTW do you remember them as the Dallas Texans?:11:

yashi
02-06-2009, 10:40 AM
i'd like to see us rwork his contract and trade him for a third rounder, he is still a top 5 running back, even if all of you hate him and want him gone cause he is a bonehead. if we cannot get any value then just keep him. he'll complain but he'll perform if he thinks he can still be traded. i wouldn't trade or sign a FA back, Jamal can handle it w/maybe a rookie backup.
Top 5? Peterson, DeAngelo Williams, Portis, Turner, LT, Chris Johnson, Westbrook, Forte, Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, Brandon Jacobs, Thomas Jones. All overall better RBs than LJ. Let's not kid ourselves here, he's no longer running behind Shields, Roaf, and Wiegmann.

jap1
02-06-2009, 10:40 AM
My Dream List:
Free Agents-
1. Suggs (will take Peppers if Suggs wants to stay home)
2. Karlos Dansby or Vilma
3. Jordan Gross
4. Jahri Evans (offensive guard)

Draft-
1. Maualuga or Curry (hopefully we can trade down for them)
2. Best Center available in round two (hopefully Mack, but probably not)
3. Offensive guard (to eventually replace Waters)
4. RB to replace LJ if we get rid of him.
5. Young DE to develop
6. A speedster WR/KR

That would be an awesome offseason!

OL: Gross/Waters/Mack/Evans/Albert

DL: Suggs/Dorsey/Tyler/Hali

LBs: Dansby/Maualuga/DJ

I think with some good coaching and this offseason, we will be a force to deal with in the AFC west this season and for many seasons to come. And I think that FA dream list is not super far-fetched except Gross probably wont want to come here. And Im not sure Evans would want to leave the Saints.

chiefnut
02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Top 5? Peterson, DeAngelo Williams, Portis, Turner, LT, Chris Johnson, Westbrook, Forte, Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, Brandon Jacobs, Thomas Jones. All overall better RBs than LJ. Let's not kid ourselves here, he's no longer running behind Shields, Roaf, and Wiegmann.

and none of those backs are stuck behind our line, few would fare much better with no running lanes or having to break three tackles just to get back to the line of scrimmage. willie parker was totaly ineffective in the super bowl cause he had nowhere to run. i won't argue that we should get rid of him or that he is a bonehead for his offield crap or when he opens his mouth, but don't sell him short as still a viable runner. this is the guy herm tried to permantly send to rehab w/record setting #of carries against defenses w/9man fronts, yet he endured. he led both teams in rushing in 7 of 16 games this year, impressive when you look at our O line and consider our defense couldn't stop granpappy amos mccoy from gaining 100yds. i think its easy when we dislike a player so much to let it overshadow our perception of their ability.

jmlamerson
02-06-2009, 11:03 AM

You forgot Marion Barber and Marshawn Lynch as well.

Nobody's trading anything for LJ. Please, everyone, stop saying we can get anything for him. No one is trading for this guy.

Chief Tyler
02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
You forgot Marion Barber and Marshawn Lynch as well.

Nobody's trading anything for LJ. Please, everyone, stop saying we can get anything for him. No one is trading for this guy.

Frank Gore too yep.

yashi
02-06-2009, 11:47 AM
and none of those backs are stuck behind our line, few would fare much better with no running lanes or having to break three tackles just to get back to the line of scrimmage. willie parker was totaly ineffective in the super bowl cause he had nowhere to run. i won't argue that we should get rid of him or that he is a bonehead for his offield crap or when he opens his mouth, but don't sell him short as still a viable runner. this is the guy herm tried to permantly send to rehab w/record setting #of carries against defenses w/9man fronts, yet he endured. he led both teams in rushing in 7 of 16 games this year, impressive when you look at our O line and consider our defense couldn't stop granpappy amos mccoy from gaining 100yds. i think its easy when we dislike a player so much to let it overshadow our perception of their ability.
LJ is not the RB he was pre-416 carry season, history tells us that. So we can't take into account what LJ used to be for assessing his current ability.

The 7 of 16 games stat is misleading for me. How many of those teams employ a committee at RB? If LJ gets 25 carries, and the other RBs get 10-15, I would hope he leads both teams.

LJ's rushing stats don't look bad at first glance, but here's the thing. He tied a career high in fumbles, despite only playing 12 games. He caught a career low 12 catches. He was as bad as ever in pass protection. He got himself suspended, and may be suspended to start next season as well. He's a poor teammate and he's immature.

If we cut LJ, a team will sign him, no question. But that would be our gain and their loss. He's going to turn the magical RB age of 30 next season and has a 416 carry season behind him.

The Rams OL is no worse than ours and S-Jax had a 1000 yard season in 12 games with 40 catches, while also missing most of training camp and pre-season holding out. The OL is most of the equation in the running game, but a great RB will find ways to perform regardless.

chiefnut
02-06-2009, 11:51 AM
so let me get this straight , you're saying no matter how bad an offensive line is a "good: running back will still get 1,000 plus yards?

N TX Dave
02-06-2009, 12:00 PM
:yahoo: :bananen_smilies046: Dave you are a kindred spirit, thats exactly what i have been saying. BTW do you remember them as the Dallas Texans?:11:

No not really before they moved to KC I did not know or rather care anything about the NFL. I was in born and raised in KC until I got drafted in '68 then Uncle Sam took me away for a few years but I went back to KC until my job brought me here to Dallas area.

:wheelchair: :bananen_smilies046:

yashi
02-06-2009, 12:01 PM
so let me get this straight , you're saying no matter how bad an offensive line is a "good: running back will still get 1,000 plus yards?
1000 yards is an arbitrary number for me. But yes, a great RB can scrap together a good game on the stat sheet, protect his QB, and catch the ball. A great RB is capable of doing everything, not just grabbing the ball and running.

Great RBs don't get arrested 4 times for assaulting women and cause their team to constantly worry if they'll have their RB on the field Sunday. They also don't seemingly fall down at the line of scrimmage if there's no hole, or look like they're giving a half-assed effort all the time.

From a pure running the ball perspective, LJ is pretty good. But in every other category, he's terrible.

m0ef0e
02-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Look how many times Barry Sanders had 1,000 yard seasons with almost no support whatsoever. Curtis Martin probably wouldn't be considered by most to be one of the greatest backs ever but he's the only person to rush for more consecutive 1,000 yard seasons than Sanders. Martin didn't always have great support around him, either (he did play for Herm, after all).

chiefnut
02-06-2009, 12:11 PM
both of those lines were better than ours, barry is in a class with the greatest runners of all time. he could lose yards on 5 plays then break a 60yd run., and curtis had games w/o blocking when he was ineffective

m0ef0e
02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Dude. The Lions line... Hell, that whole TEAM was atrocious while Barry was there. I wouldn't label them better than anybody. And yes, Curtis did have some unproductive games but those were isolated incidents as his 11 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons says. I would much rather have a guy who has 1 bad game here or there behind an o-line that is bad or sub-par than an over-paid whiner who may have 2-4 good games out of the entire season.

chiefnut
02-06-2009, 12:55 PM
the lions went ; 7-9, 12-4, 5-11, 9-7, 10-6, 9-7, 5-11
including a division championship, and a conference title game, a 32td passing season out of mitchell

yeah they were much worse than the 2-14 CHIEFS

jmlamerson
02-06-2009, 01:07 PM
including a division championship, and a conference title game, a 32td passing season out of mitchell

But you keep forgetting that RB is a young man's game. It's almost never worth it to sign a RB past 30 to a lucrative deal. Matt Forte has more value than LJ, not because of his accomplishments, but because his legs are fresh. LJ has two to three years, maybe, before he breaks down entirely, no matter how good his line is.

He just isn't worth it.

dbolan
02-06-2009, 01:16 PM
LJ is not the RB he was pre-416 carry season, history tells us that.....The OL is most of the equation in the running game, but a great RB will find ways to perform regardless.

Remember Walter Payton and Barry Sanders. Their lines were hooooorible (insert Bill Walton emphasis).

10-4 on your "great RB" assessment. :bananen_smilies046:

dbolan
02-06-2009, 01:25 PM

Nut...Don't forget that they had Barry Sanders and a couple of pretty damn good recievers in Herman Moore and Johnny Morton and a return guy by the name of Mel Gray.

But, their line did suck and they admitted it. I rememebr them saying that all they try to do is "try to stay with a block" long enough to "LET" Barry make it happen.

Again..I also have to mention Walter Payton. He was durable and ran like a mad man with a sorry team until the mid 80's.

chiefnut
02-06-2009, 01:36 PM
you can't mention L J in the same sentence with Barry Sanders and Walter Peyton. come on thats like including Trent Green with John Unitas and LENNY DAWSON.

texaschief
02-06-2009, 02:09 PM
My list:

DE- Terrell Suggs
OT- Stacey Andrews
OG- Jari Evans
OLB- Leroy Hill (Dansby is going to a New York team)
MLB- Jonathan Vilma
S- Oshiomogho Atogwe
CB- Nnamdi Asomugha

There's no way they all fit under the cap... but that's my list.

KristofLaw
02-06-2009, 02:34 PM
If there were a way to bring in McNabb... forget the ca$h $pent, the combined leadership of McNabb and T.G. would be great for our offense. On D. I firmly believe all we need is again leadership combined with alot more depth.... guys I think we are alot closer than we realize. Otherwise I would still go with D.Carr or B.Leftwich... not to take over the position but for depth and if they outright win the position... then it's their's.

jap1
02-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Im not saying LJ is a great person, or whether or not we should keep him (thats for others to decide). You can call him an a-hole for disrespecting women (at least he isnt drinking and driving on a regular basis like other people that people on this board cant get over).

But when it comes down to facts, LJ averaged 4.5 ypc. He was tied with 3 other backs for 9th in the league in ypc. To me, YPC is a much more telling stat than total yards. Yeah, S.Jax had 200 more yards on the season. He also had 60 more carries than LJ.

I still think he has value. On our team? Probably not because he has burned too many bridges. I just hope we dont play against him next year because he will likely get over 100 yards with a decent line in front of him unless our D becomes a top 5 D next year.

prough91
02-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Im not saying LJ is a great person, or whether or not we should keep him (thats for others to decide). You can call him an a-hole for disrespecting women (at least he isnt drinking and driving on a regular basis like other people that people on this board cant get over).

But when it comes down to facts, LJ averaged 4.5 ypc. He was tied with 3 other backs for 9th in the league in ypc. To me, YPC is a much more telling stat than total yards. Yeah, S.Jax had 200 more yards on the season. He also had 60 more carries than LJ.

I still think he has value. On our team? Probably not because he has burned too many bridges. I just hope we dont play against him next year because he will likely get over 100 yards with a decent line in front of him unless our D becomes a top 5 D next year.

I was thinkin' about that the other day. How bad would it be if he went to the Raiders or Broncos and came in and rolled up 250 yards on us?

Pro_Angler
02-06-2009, 06:27 PM
LOl Cassell?? They can either match his offer or we have to pay him huge and give them 2 1st rd. picks.. I dont think so.

Bike
02-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I was thinkin' about that the other day. How bad would it be if he went to the Raiders or Broncos and came in and rolled up 250 yards on us?
I don't think its physically possible to turn the human body back 5 years.
LJ is cooked. :armee_smilies132: :wheelchair:

prough91
02-06-2009, 07:02 PM
He ran 200 against the Broncos last year. I don't think one year will make that big a difference.

Bike
02-06-2009, 07:14 PM
He ran 200 against the Broncos last year. I don't think one year will make that big a difference.
I do. Sorry I must disagree with you on this one...
The body slows as it ages. Just the way it is. LJ is now 30 years old. Couple that with a sh!t attitude and a rap sheet and you got nothing but a flaming bag-o-sh!t.:firedevil:

prough91
02-06-2009, 07:36 PM
I do. Sorry I must disagree with you on this one...
The body slows as it ages. Just the way it is. LJ is now 30 years old. Couple that with a sh!t attitude and a rap sheet and you got nothing but a flaming bag-o-sh!t.:firedevil:

I still think LJ has a little left in the tank; he just don't want to use it for the Chiefs. Plus, he runs very well when he's pissed off and coming back to play the Chiefs would give him every reason to run like the LJ of old.

Bike
02-06-2009, 07:49 PM
I still think LJ has a little left in the tank; he just don't want to use it for the Chiefs. Plus, he runs very well when he's pissed off and coming back to play the Chiefs would give him every reason to run like the LJ of old.
OK dude. We shall see.:bananen_smilies046:

prough91
02-06-2009, 07:59 PM
To me, it would just be one of the most embarrassing thing ever.

Bike
02-06-2009, 08:10 PM
To me, it would just be one of the most embarrassing thing ever.
I don't think so. He burned his bridges here. If he can go somewhere else and do well, so be it.
And if he runs well against us, it wouldn't be surprising against our current D...
That being said, I really don't wish him well.
LJ hates the Chiefs and he hates KC. Good riddance.
JMHO.:bananen_smilies046:

prough91
02-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't think so. He burned his bridges here. If he can go somewhere else and do well, so be it.
And if he runs well against us, it wouldn't be surprising against our current D...
That being said, I really don't wish him well.
LJ hates the Chiefs and he hates KC. Good riddance.
JMHO.:bananen_smilies046:

I think you misunderstood me a little. I want him gone. I've wanted him gone every since he held out. It's just that, damn, it'd make me so sick to my stomach for him to come back to Arrowhead with a division rival and just tear us apart.

Bike
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
I think you misunderstood me a little. I want him gone. I've wanted him gone every since he held out. It's just that, damn, it'd make me so sick to my stomach for him to come back to Arrowhead with a division rival and just tear us apart.
I understand. I've consumed a couple adult beverages this evening. Please pardon my boneheadedness...:drunkhb:

prough91
02-06-2009, 10:21 PM
I understand. I've consumed a couple adult beverages this evening. Please pardon my boneheadedness...:drunkhb:

Been there. All is forgiven. I hate when any ex-Chief comes back and burns us.

:bananen_smilies046:

chiefsfreak4life
02-06-2009, 10:28 PM
I want him gone, period. Whatever it takes. Whatever we can get for him, take it. I'm am sick of him and know the team will be better without him.

Coach
02-06-2009, 11:34 PM
you can't mention L J in the same sentence with Barry Sanders and Walter Peyton. come on thats like including Trent Green with John Unitas and LENNY DAWSON.

Exactly what I was thinking.

MY FA wish list:

QB - Byron Leftwich
WR - TJ Houshmandzadeh
RB - Correll Buckhalter
FB - Tony Richardson
DT - Tank Johnson
DT - Albert Haynesworth
DE - Julius Peppers
DE - Terrell Suggs
LB - Karlos Dansby
LB - Jonathan Vilma
OL - Jordan Gross
C- Jason Brown
K- Rob Bironas

If we got 3 of those players, I'd be very happy.
Scout.com: 2009 NFL Free Agency Rankings (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2009&nid=83&lnid=83&rc=16)

jap1
02-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Does anyone know and is willing to explain the rules of Free agency as far as franchised, restricted etc.

I keep hearing that the franchise tag means whoever signs this person has to give up two draft picks their first born and a testicle.

I would love it if someone with knowledge on the topic could explain it for us lay-persons. Especially since a lot of us are looking toward free agency to answer some of the Chiefs problems. Thanks.
:bananen_smilies046:

hometeam
02-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Straight from Wiki~

Every year each National Football League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League) team is allowed to designate a player who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_agent) as a franchise player (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_player). This designation is applied to a player through the use of the franchise tag. Each team has access each year to only one franchise tag (of either the exclusive or non-exclusive forms) or one transition tag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition_tag). As a result, each team may only designate one player each year as that team's franchise player.
Usually designated for players of great skill or of high importance to the team, a franchise tag allows a team's manager the privilege of strategically retaining valuable free-agent players while seeking talent through the NFL draft or other acquisitions without exceeding the League's salary cap.
If the designated franchise player elects to play for the team that designated him with the franchise tag, and does not negotiate a contract with another team his one year salary is guaranteed.
If a club withdraws their offered contract the player immediately reverts to an unrestricted free agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_agent).

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.It is the team's choice whether it uses an exclusive or a non-exclusive franchise tag. While it may seem that a team would always choose the exclusive option, there are two reasons a team might prefer the non-exclusive option instead. The first is that the salary is based on the top 5 salaries of the previous year instead of the current year, which could be a significant difference. The second reason is that a team may want the opportunity for the two first-round draft picks they would receive if they lost their player

jap1
02-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Straight from Wiki~

Every year each National Football League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League) team is allowed to designate a player who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_agent) as a franchise player (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_player). This designation is applied to a player through the use of the franchise tag. Each team has access each year to only one franchise tag (of either the exclusive or non-exclusive forms) or one transition tag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition_tag). As a result, each team may only designate one player each year as that team's franchise player.
Usually designated for players of great skill or of high importance to the team, a franchise tag allows a team's manager the privilege of strategically retaining valuable free-agent players while seeking talent through the NFL draft or other acquisitions without exceeding the League's salary cap.
If the designated franchise player elects to play for the team that designated him with the franchise tag, and does not negotiate a contract with another team his one year salary is guaranteed.
If a club withdraws their offered contract the player immediately reverts to an unrestricted free agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_agent).

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.It is the team's choice whether it uses an exclusive or a non-exclusive franchise tag. While it may seem that a team would always choose the exclusive option, there are two reasons a team might prefer the non-exclusive option instead. The first is that the salary is based on the top 5 salaries of the previous year instead of the current year, which could be a significant difference. The second reason is that a team may want the opportunity for the two first-round draft picks they would receive if they lost their player

Awesome, thanks.

Now with that out of the way, I hope Peppers isnt franchised. I think he and Suggs are the only top tier 4-3 DEs available this year. And I dont think Suggs wants to leave Baltimore (unless he only wanted to stay if Ray lewis and Scott stayed). If we go 3-4 Chris Canty may be available from Dallas.

hometeam
02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
They wont franchise peppers, itll cost them too much and they need to resign gross, and dont have a ton of cap space.

KCraised
02-08-2009, 01:38 AM

Wouldn't be surprised at all. It really disturbs me how he looks like he is giving a crappy effort, when he runs. Like he is running in cement shoes. I bet he would run like a madman against us, just to shove our faces in it. You would think that the millions the Hunts gave him wouldve been motivation enough....guess not.
I personally think he was purposely laying down on us....just my opinion.