PDA

View Full Version : oh no (Lions)

texaschief
02-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Per PFT:
LIONS LEANING TOWARD CULPEPPER

As the Detroit Lions prepare to improve on the worst single season in the history of the NFL (if not all pro sports), they’ll apparently do so with Daunte Culpepper taking the snaps.

Former Lions receiver Mike Furrey told Alex Marvez and Ross Tucker of Sirius NFL Radio on Sunday morning that other quarterbacks on the roster have been told that Culpepper will be the starter.

This could mean that the Lions will target in the first round of the draft a quarterback, despite any lingering urges to take a wideout.

Then again, it’s not as if the franchise has mastered the art of snagging signal-callers in round one. Over the past 40 years, they’ve taken three: Joey Harrington, Andre Ware, Chuck Long.

Well, maybe they’re due.

Culpepper is due to receive a $2.5 million roster bonus later this month, so if he’s not cut before then it’s a pretty safe bet that, indeed, he’ll be the No. 1 guy in 2009.

If the Lions were dead set on taking a QB #1, I highly doubt they'd be signing Culpepper. With Bulger in St. Louis and no one to protect him, it's pretty easy to see that they'll be taking a LT. That could leave the Chiefs looking at the 3rd best LT, the best QB, Curry and Crabtree at #3. This is a nightmare scenario for the Chiefs. Not only would this group ensure that they wouldn't be able to trade down, but it could entice the franchise to pull the trigger on Stafford.

I'm scared.

chiefsfreak4life
02-15-2009, 03:31 PM
So, they are still planning on taking Stafford or Sanchez, but have handed the starting job to Culpepper? That seems a bit strange. I have a weird feeling, that after all the debate on who the top QB is, both Stafford and Sanchez are going do a Brady Quinn, and slide down..............

Chiefster
02-15-2009, 03:39 PM
So, they are still planning on taking Stafford or Sanchez, but have handed the starting job to Culpepper? That seems a bit strange. I have a weird feeling, that after all the debate on who the top QB is, both Stafford and Sanchez are going do a Brady Quinn, and slide down..............

That's Detroit for ya. :D

The only team in the NFL worse then the Chiefs.

Coach
02-15-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't think you can read to much into this. He could be cut during summer camp. I think what they are trying to infer is that the younger QB's they have drafted still aren't developing.

jmlamerson
02-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I don't think you can read to much into this. He could be cut during summer camp. I think what they are trying to infer is that the younger QB's they have drafted still aren't developing.

Yep. They're basically telling their fans that they're drafting a QB this year to groom, starting Daunte, and cutting everyone else.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that they draft LT at #1 and either hope Josh Freeman drops to #20, or they draft Nate Davis in the 2nd round.

Some team's going to get the best backup QB in the league in Jon Kitna, and Drew Stanton/Dan Orlovsky go play in Canada for a year or two.

Nel Toille
02-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Detroit's new logo for '09:
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/02/19.jpg

jmlamerson
02-15-2009, 04:36 PM
You know, the Lions are in better shape than everyone thinks they are.

They have great players in Calvin Johnson and Ernie Sims. They have decent players in Backus, Lenon, McDonald, Bullocks, and Kevin Smith. They have a real HC finally, and are probably the forerunner to get Haynesworth if he leaves Tennessee. They have 5 picks in the first 82 in this draft, and will have about $40M in cap room.

I'm not suggesting that they're going to win the NFC or anything in 2009, but they're not going to be the worst in the NFL either. A Dolphins style turnaround isn't exactly out of the question.

balto
02-15-2009, 05:36 PM
After thinking about the Lions and the chance of them NOT taking a QB first and how funny people think it would be to draft Crabtree (Another WR hehe)

You know what, IF the Lions DID take Crabtree it honestly would not be a bad pick. I mean look

The Lions just traded Roy Williams, which a lot of people think Crabtree will be just as good if not better then Williams.

Williams Trade:
Lions got the Cowboys 2009 (1st, 3rd, 6th) 2010 (7th) for Roy Williams.

IF the Lions took Crabtree to replace Williams they would still have a good shot at one of the Top QB/LT's with there 2nd 1st round pick. PLUS still have ALL of those other picks they got from Dallas.

I think they will take a QB, BUT Crabtree would actually make sense this year lol.

YZILLA
02-15-2009, 05:57 PM
all I know is Im pretty damn excited to be a chiefs fan ! Look at all of the stuff that has already happened and still will happen. No matter who we draft, Im really , really pumped to see what happens to us ! But if Culpepper was due to recieve a roster bonus of 2.5 million in the next month< why would they wait until summer camps to let him go?

jmlamerson
02-15-2009, 06:06 PM
After thinking about the Lions and the chance of them NOT taking a QB first and how funny people think it would be to draft Crabtree (Another WR hehe)

You know what, IF the Lions DID take Crabtree it honestly would not be a bad pick. I mean look

The Lions just traded Roy Williams, which a lot of people think Crabtree will be just as good if not better then Williams.

Williams Trade:

IF the Lions took Crabtree to replace Williams they would still have a good shot at one of the Top QB/LT's with there 2nd 1st round pick. PLUS still have ALL of those other picks they got from Dallas.

I think they will take a QB, BUT Crabtree would actually make sense this year lol.

Crabtree makes a lot of sense for them this draft, as they could get their QBOTF in Nate Davis with their 2nd round pick. The 20th overall pick could go to Alex Mack, Duke Robinson, or another OL. They could use their second day picks on defense.

Especially since Backus isn't a terrible LT, and they just drafted a RT in Gosder Cherlius in the 1st round last year.

They could then fill in their other issues on the 2nd day.

I don't see this happening, necessarily, simply because the fanbase would revolt if Crabtree goes number 1. But objectively, it isn't a terrible idea.

hometeam
02-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Maybe they are trade baiting the first pick, by letting it no maybe just maybe they arent set on taking a #1 Qb, so someone else can have a shot at it, whether it be one of the QBs or an LT

kcmostwanted
02-15-2009, 11:51 PM

Williams Trade:

Even kids riding the short buss knows that picking Crabtree w/ the #1 pick would be the a dumb move (anyway you look at it)..

Nate Davis is solid but picking him to be your QBOTF would be the same mistake as taking Drew Staton to be your QBOTF...

Trading Roy so you can grab crabtree...after you just drafted Calvin??? ... Makes no sense and the new GM and coach will never do it... If it were the old Lions I think they would, but I say they make a pretty big turnaround (sooner than later) by not taking a WR and grabbing Stafford w/ their #1 pick.

DT14PRIEST
02-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Rumors are rumors, still have to wait till draft day or something official out of the Lions to get the truth of the matter resolved

Source: Daunte Culpepper has not been named the Lions starter -
Detroit Lions: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/02/source_daunte_culpepper_has_no.html)

balto
02-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Even kids riding the short buss knows that picking Crabtree w/ the #1 pick would be the a dumb move (anyway you look at it)..

Nate Davis is solid but picking him to be your QBOTF would be the same mistake as taking Drew Staton to be your QBOTF...

Trading Roy so you can grab crabtree...after you just drafted Calvin??? ... Makes no sense and the new GM and coach will never do it... If it were the old Lions I think they would, but I say they make a pretty big turnaround (sooner than later) by not taking a WR and grabbing Stafford w/ their #1 pick.

I agree that it would be VERY stupid for the Lions to take Crabtree (I think they should take the best LT then trade up with other picks to get Sanchez), BUT they had a 1-2 punch with Calvin and Roy.... They traded a guy away and got multi picks.

Why not replace him with your first pick THEN get your QB with your other 1st round? Either Stafford/Sanchez/Freeman will still be there. OR just like we did last year the Lions could move UP from 20th. I mean use all those extra picks they got from Dallas (1st, 3rd, 6th, 7th) and move up a few spots to get Sanchez!!

Now they have a WR that a lot of people say will be a Pro Bowler and probably better then Williams anyways, AND you get your QOTF in Sanchez that would be Good value in the Teens.

Your Pick:
1)1st: Stafford
1) 20th: Top LT on board (The main 4 are gone by this pick)
Extra 3rd
Extra 6th
Extra 7th

OR

1)1st: Crabtree
1)16th: Sanchez/Stafford (Got to get in front of the Jets and Bucs, plus Chargers(16th) would have no problem moving down since more then likely they can get there RB at 20 just as they could at 16th)

With there 2nd round pick they should be able to get a LT just as good as who they could get at 20.

I honestly think they should take the Best LT then trade up to get Sanchez or Stafford, but Crabtree should be there second choice. It's actually funny how much sense it makes this year.

KottkeKU
02-16-2009, 01:37 PM
anybody who drafts josh freeman as their future qb is making a huge mistake...this guy is such a *****, and he is one of the dumbest qb's ive ever seen....yay he has the ability to move around, and has a strong arm....but thats it....anyone who takes him will find out that when you put him on the field, he just doesnt have the intagibles to be a legitimate QB

Coach
02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't see this happening, necessarily, simply because the fanbase would revolt if Crabtree goes number 1. But objectively, it isn't a terrible idea.

I agree. It would be political suicide in this town for the Lions to draft a WR #1. They have already publicly stated that they plan to build the lines up through the draft. It doesn't mean they'll use the first pick on a OL or DL, but it won't be a WR. I'd be willing to lay a wager on that one.

HokieChief 09
02-16-2009, 03:16 PM
They aren't going to go with Crabtree #1, no way in hell do they make the decision to draft yet another WR..I don't see it. I think they go Stafford, but if not then they will probably take Monroe or Andre Smith. They are in the situation where they can draft anyone at practially any position and have it be an upgrade, just like us! ;)