PDA

View Full Version : What would you guys like to see done.

fairladyZ
02-17-2009, 05:27 PM
So it looks like we will be right around $35 million under the cap.

Was wondering what you guys would like to see done with our current roster and what moves to make with money in draft and FA.

current list of our roster and their pays.
FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Kansas City Chiefs Team Salary (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/kansas-city-chiefs/salary)
here is a list of our FA's this year.
KFFL - 2009 NFL Free Agents (http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2009)

I'm still new on how cutting and what not affects our cap. So bare with me but off our roster first i would like to see gone would be:
1. Pat Surtain $6 million
2. Damon Huard $2.6 million
2a. Damion McIntosh $2.3 million
3. Jean-Philippe Darche $755,000
4. Oliver Celestin $605,000
5. Brian Johnston $342,277

Now where i'm unclear on is if cutting these players what that does to our cap situation. Maybe some1 could shed some light on that.

FA i want to go after.
1. Peppers or other stud DE
2. Vilma or Dansby
3. Stud OL
4. TJ houshmandzadeh

Draft
1. Curry or Orakpo (kinda a stretch)
2. Stud Center or if we don't address DE in FA Michael Johnson for DE.
3. if we don't get in FA or 2nd rd i want a best Center available or guard.
4. BPA
5. BPA

We need atleast 1 playmaking LB, atleast one Playmaking DE, and 2 Stud linemen. And as much as i love bowe unless he works on his hands we need another WR with sure hands.

Sn@keIze
02-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Since Herm and CP are gone. I can scratch that off my list.

Next I would like to find out for sure what are D will be. Hopefully a 3-4. That will fix a lot of our D line problems simply for one you only have 3 guys to worry bout. they arent doing anything anyway so lets transport personnel to LB where we can be more effective.

Then of course that means you gotta go get some more LBs. I say one in the draft and one in FA.( and of course a couple more for the backups).

DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE! People!

Forget the sexy picks.

chiefsfreak4life
02-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Why Brian Johnston? He hasn't yet had a chance to show his stuff, but could be a fine young DE.

Codac
02-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Why Brian Johnston? He hasn't yet had a chance to show his stuff, but could be a fine young DE.

I would love to keep him. He reminds me of Jared. Plus he is one of the only guys to get a sack in one of his 2 games before he got hurt.

fairladyZ
02-17-2009, 09:13 PM
i just didn't know anything about him so i put him on the list.
lol
i like babin as a backup so figure we bring in a stud and leave babin as back aswell as mcbride or tank i dun remember which and we are set.
but guess i was wrong.
lol

honda522
02-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Fire Carl Peterson DONE
Fire Herm Edwards DONE
Get Pioli DONE
Get Haley DONE

Get rid of LJ anyway possible.
Cut Huard, Croyle, Thomas.
Get a Pass Rusher.
Sign a few decent free agents.
Get another WR to help open Bowe and Bradley up.

Get to work.
Win some games.

I think Macintosh has potential, look at Miami game, maybe he and most of the other team just need better coaches.

Chiefster
02-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Sure up the offensive line.

Sn@keIze
02-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Fire Carl Peterson DONE
Fire Herm Edwards DONE
Get Pioli DONE
Get Haley DONE

Get a Pass Rusher.

Get to work.
Win some games.

I think Macintosh has potential, look at Miami game, maybe he and most of the other team just need better coaches.Why cut Huard? Hes shown the ability to lead us to the playoffs.

Of course not as a starter, but if we need a guy to manage a game or two while Thig [or whoever our starter is] gets back on his feet, he can do it.

Even as a 3rd, hes earned a spot on this roster.

pbatrucker
02-17-2009, 10:01 PM
you won't see a 4-3 defense this year, we don't have the personel to support it. personally i don't care which defense we play as long as it's agressive. i can't stand the cover 2. it gives up way to many yards and looses field position. I'm really tired of King Carls practice of bringing long in the tooth over paid free agents that do nothing for us. let's go for the young up and coming free agrnts that we can build around. Jordoan Gross would be a huge pick up, then we could draft one of the two top centers in the second round and our OL would be solid. Looks like Dansby will be taged, but Smith should be available. Maybe a WR from the bengals(not ono).
If we don't get Gross we should go for an OT with the first pick, I'd rather go with a LB, OL is our biggest problem right now.

chiefsfreak4life
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
I would love to keep him. He reminds me of Jared. Plus he is one of the only guys to get a sack in one of his 2 games before he got hurt.
I'm with ya here. I was happy when we drafted him, thought he might be a diamond in the rough like Jared. We will see, might be a bust, but I thought he showed some potential, just needs to learn the NFL.

honda522
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Why cut Huard? Hes shown the ability to lead us to the playoffs.

Of course not as a starter, but if we need a guy to manage a game or two while Thig [or whoever our starter is] gets back on his feet, he can do it.

I don't trust him. He can't move around in the pocket, and last time I seen him play, he didn't even look like he cared.

We don't need him, you know where going to pick up a QB, and Tyler us there for the back up.

DT14PRIEST
02-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Reading that Arizona will use the franchise tag on Dansby. At least thats what they're saying on ESPN.

FA I'd like to see (in no particular order)

1. Vernon Carey OT, Miami
2. Chirs Canty DE, Dallas
3. Jonathan Vilma LB, New Orleans
4. Jason Brown C, Baltimore
5. Bart Scott LB, Baltimore
6. Jahri Evans G, New Orleans

Guys I can think off the top of my head possibly more but these are real value guys that we have a better then average chance at signing aside from guys that are regarded as all stars (Suggs, Peppers, Haynesworth etc)

chiefsfreak4life
02-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Reading that Arizona will use the franchise tag on Dansby. At least thats what they're saying on ESPN.

FA I'd like to see (in no particular order)

1. Vernon Carey OT, Miami
2. Chirs Canty DE, Dallas
3. Jonathan Vilma LB, New Orleans
4. Jason Brown C, Baltimore
5. Bart Scott LB, Baltimore
6. Jahri Evans G, New Orleans

Guys I can think off the top of my head possibly more but these are real value guys that we have a better then average chance at signing aside from guys that are regarded as all stars (Suggs, Peppers, Haynesworth etc)

All would be good pickups, I'm not familar with Evans though. I think we will pick up some good hard working leaders, not necessarily the most glamorous pickups, like Peppers or Haynesworth, but good solid players that we will be pleased with.

hardcorechiefsfan
02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
...Get rid of LJ anyway possible. Exactly!
Cut Huard, Croyle, Thomas. I thought they already got rid of Huard and Croyle?
Get a Pass Rusher. Anybody?
Get another WR to help open Bowe and Bradley up. Maybe that is Bowe's butter finger problem... maybe they need someone else to help open those tight places for him.

Get to work.
Win some games. Amen.

I think Macintosh has potential, look at Miami game, maybe he and most of the other team just need better coaches.

Sure up the offensive line.
Double amen. We need some fire in our o-line. We can't always depend on TG to make the catches; we do but that is so predictable.

fairladyZ
02-17-2009, 10:20 PM
I like huard alot only reason i want to release him is the money he gets paid. He's expensive backup!

jmlamerson
02-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't want Vilma? He's a good player and everything, but he's wrong for our team. We should be looking for someone big in our LB corps, not the undersized Vilma. He needs to go to a team like the Colts/Vikings where he can play in a dome and his speed advtange can overcome his small size.

fairladyZ
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Well Dansby got the Franchise tag.
So i'm shooting for Bart Scott or Vilma.

Derrick Johnson, Bart Scott/Vilma, and Aaron Curry.

nasty LB corp

AussieChiefsFan
02-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Fire Carl Peterson DONE
Fire Herm Edwards DONE
Get Pioli DONE
Get Haley DONE

Get a Pass Rusher.

Get to work.
Win some games.

I think Macintosh has potential, look at Miami game, maybe he and most of the other team just need better coaches.GET RID OF LJ!!! WHY???

AussieChiefsFan
02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Also I'd like to see some good DT's

hometeam
02-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Out of your list Surtain is definately going to be cut, and likely Huard as well.

I have a feeling, with us scooping up Gary Gibbs, that we are going to target vilma in FA, so Johnson-Vilma-Curry here we come, and I would be damn happy with that. As for peppers, I have a feeling not only will he be franchised and traded, but that he will not want to come to KC, we dont run a 3-4, and thats all he is talking about~

hometeam
02-18-2009, 09:52 AM
GET RID OF LJ!!! WHY???

Hes a woman beating, bad attitude, non trying, hater of kansas city and the KC Chiefs fans, who crys to the media at every opportunity about how he hates it in KC..

what else do need?

chief31
02-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Why cut Huard? Hes shown the ability to lead us to the playoffs.

Wow. I thought I was the only one. With a back-up QB, you want a guy who can come in and give you a chance to win. Huard is that.

I like huard alot only reason i want to release him is the money he gets paid. He's expensive backup!

I am guessing that it wouldn't be too difficult to convince him to take a paycut. But I could be wrong.

prough91
02-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Am I the only person who doesn't want Vilma? He's a good player and everything, but he's wrong for our team. We should be looking for someone big in our LB corps, not the undersized Vilma. He needs to go to a team like the Colts/Vikings where he can play in a dome and his speed advtange can overcome his small size.

I did not realize people ran quicker indoors. Is it the wind resistance? At the combine, do they have them run the 40 inside and then have them run it outside?

jmlamerson
02-18-2009, 11:15 AM
I did not realize people ran quicker indoors. Is it the wind resistance? At the combine, do they have them run the 40 inside and then have them run it outside?

turf v. grass and warm weather v. cold weather, my sacrastic friend.

prough91
02-18-2009, 11:34 AM
turf v. grass and warm weather v. cold weather, my sacrastic friend.

Um, wouldn't that affect every player? Let's say a cb that ran a 4.6 guarded a wr that ran a 4.5, both on turf. Wouldn't they both slow down accordingly when they hit the grass?

jmlamerson
02-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Um, wouldn't that affect every player? Let's say a cb that ran a 4.6 guarded a wr that ran a 4.5, both on turf. Wouldn't they both slow down accordingly when they hit the grass?

Yeah. That's my point.

Flowers and Carr are good CBs for us, not because they're the fastest guys, but because they're physical and with good awareness.

I want someone with heft in the middle of the field specifically because speed isn't the most important characteristic for us in the MLB position. We need a big guy who can help against the run, especially because our DL is undersized. We don't need another undersized, quick guy.

chief31
02-18-2009, 11:57 AM

Yes. But it would also maximize the difference between the two.

Hypothetically, if the difference were 10%, then the CB (4.6 indoors) would slow to a (5.01), while the WR (4.5 indoor) would slow to a (4.95).

The actual difference going from .1 indoors, to .06 outdoors.

Therefore, if you have the faster player, it is beneficial to play indoors, to maximize the speed difference.

prough91
02-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah. That's my point.

Flowers and Carr are good CBs for us, not because they're the fastest guys, but because they're physical and with good awareness.

I want someone with heft in the middle of the field specifically because speed isn't the most important characteristic for us in the MLB position. We need a big guy who can help against the run, especially because our DL is undersized. We don't need another undersized, quick guy.

I was just commenting on the speed outdoors vs. speed indoors. It always seems ludicrous to me to worry about it. I think it would affect everybody the same, unless you were a kicker.

jmlamerson
02-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I was just commenting on the speed outdoors vs. speed indoors. It always seems ludicrous to me to worry about it. I think it would affect everybody the same, unless you were a kicker.

Why do you think Darren Sproles did so well in SD and so poorly in Pittsburgh these playoffs? It's because he's 5'6" and 180 lbs. soaking wet. His big advantage (speed) was rendered useless on the grass, and he got knocked around on the chunky soup that was Heinz Field.

Why do you think outdoor, cold weather teams tend to shy away from speed guys in favor of heft? The Pats, Steelers, Packers, Giants, and Bills favor bigger, slower guys. Its also why they're usually successful in home playoff games, and why AZ was very lucky they played the Championship in Tempe instead of in NYC.

Grass and cold are the enemies of speed based defenses and offenses (see every Colts/Pats game played in NE for an example).

It's why Vilma is a bad choice for our MLB. It's also why the Cover 2 was an idiotic defense to play at Arrowhead.

prough91
02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Why do you think Darren Sproles did so well in SD and so poorly in Pittsburgh these playoffs? It's because he's 5'6" and 180 lbs. soaking wet. His big advantage (speed) was rendered useless on the grass, and he got knocked around on the chunky soup that was Heinz Field.

Why do you think outdoor, cold weather teams tend to shy away from speed guys in favor of heft? The Pats, Steelers, Packers, Giants, and Bills favor bigger, slower guys. Its also why they're usually successful in home playoff games, and why AZ was very lucky they played the Championship in Tempe instead of in NYC.

Grass and cold are the enemies of speed based defenses and offenses (see every Colts/Pats game played in NE for an example).

It's why Vilma is a bad choice for our MLB. It's also why the Cover 2 was an idiotic defense to play at Arrowhead.

I assumed it was because he practiced in sunny San Diego for a week and then went to cold a$$ Pittsburgh and was caught unawares. Plus, maybe the pressure of filling in for one of the best running backs in a decade. Or maybe it was Pittsburgh's top ranked defense. I don't know, maybe I thought one of these things could have been a contributing factor. Is the opposite true also? I remember LJ, who is a heavy not so fleet of foot rb, going to play in Indianapolis in a playoff game and totally got his a$$ handed to him. He would have probably got 200 in Pittsburgh.

jmlamerson
02-18-2009, 12:20 PM
I assumed it was because he practiced in sunny San Diego for a week and then went to cold a$$ Pittsburgh and was caught unawares. Plus, maybe the pressure of filling in for one of the best running backs in a decade. Or maybe it was Pittsburgh's top ranked defense. I don't know, maybe I thought one of these things could have been a contributing factor. Is the opposite true also? I remember LJ, who is a heavy not so fleet of foot rb, going to play in Indianapolis in a playoff game and totally got his a$$ handed to him. He would have probably got 200 in Pittsburgh.

LJ got his a$$ handed to him in Indy because he'd run 416 times already that year and his legs were gone. Also because Indy added Anthony McFarland midseason, and he provided the big DT the Colts needed. Also, they were playing in a dome where Indy's defense had the benefit of the turf.

Pitts awesome defense was a reason. But Sproles size was also a reason. Little guys like Sproles, Warrick Dunn, etc. always get clobbered in cold weather and on grass.

KC should never, never try to base its offense or defense around speed.

chief31
02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Yes. But it would also maximize the difference between the two.

Hypothetically, if the difference were 10%, then the CB (4.6 indoors) would slow to a (5.01), while the WR (4.5 indoor) would slow to a (4.95).

The actual difference going from .1 indoors, to .06 outdoors.

Therefore, if you have the faster player, it is beneficial to play indoors, to maximize the speed difference.

This got brushed over.^^

But I also wanted to get my two cents in on this topic.

I just want DE Peppers and OT Gross from free agency and OT Monroe from the first round of the draft. Beyond that, I don't think there will be alot of problems.

Might want a C in the second round. I think that the DTs will be fine. And I think that the LBs are fine too.

The DTs are learning. And the lack of a RDE put huge pressure on everyone else. If we can fix that, then I think the defense will be leaps and bounds better.

jmlamerson
02-18-2009, 12:50 PM
This got brushed over.^^

But I also wanted to get my two cents in on this topic.

I just want DE Peppers and OT Gross from free agency and OT Monroe from the first round of the draft. Beyond that, I don't think there will be alot of problems.

Might want a C in the second round. I think that the DTs will be fine. And I think that the LBs are fine too.

The DTs are learning. And the lack of a RDE put huge pressure on everyone else. If we can fix that, then I think the defense will be leaps and bounds better.

I did miss that.:D

Do you agree with me about Vilma then?

Sn@keIze
02-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Since Herm and CP are gone. I can scratch that off my list.

Next I would like to find out for sure what are D will be. Hopefully a 3-4. That will fix a lot of our D line problems simply for one you only have 3 guys to worry bout. they arent doing anything anyway so lets transport personnel to LB where we can be more effective.

Then of course that means you gotta go get some more LBs. I say one in the draft and one in FA.( and of course a couple more for the backups).

DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE! People!

Forget the sexy picks.Scratch that off my list too! We are going 3-4:yahoo:

Bike
02-18-2009, 06:15 PM
I want Ziggy!!!

Canada
02-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Which one?

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/02/24.jpg

OR

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/iolani14/ziggy.jpg

Bike
02-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Which one?

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/02/24.jpg

OR

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chief31
02-19-2009, 08:35 AM
I did miss that.:D

Do you agree with me about Vilma then?

Yeah. He's done well so far. But I think he is always going to be a risk.