PDA

View Full Version : we have coachs

hayden2004
02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Kansas City Chiefs - Kansas City Chiefs Announce Coaching Staff Moves (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/02/17/kansas_city_chiefs_announce_coaching_staff_moves/)

DT14PRIEST
02-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Hmm. They didn't list the positions for each coach but i would hope it was Pendergrast for DC and Gibbs for LB coach

hometeam
02-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Too bad we dont know who does what.

Im guessing Pendergast will be the DC, and Gibbs the LB coach

Also the other coach from Arizona will be QC/WR coach so hopefully he can teach Dbowe to catch like Fitz~

tornadospotter
02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Well we have some news, but who is the DC!

Coach
02-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Chiefs will keep Gailey, three other assistant coaches - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/669/story/1039280.html)

The Chiefs will retain offensive coordinator Chan Gailey as well as three other assistant coaches from former coach Herm Edwards' staff: Tim Krumrie, Bob Bicknell and Joe D’Alessandris.
The Chiefs also hired seven new assistant coaches: Joel Collier, Gary Gibbs, Steve Hoffman, Bill Muir, Clancy Pendergast, Pat Perles and Dedric Ward. The Chiefs didn't designate duties for any of these coaches. But Gailey (offense) and Gibbs (defense) are the likely coordinators. From their coaching backgrounds, it's also possible Krumrie will coach the defensive line, Pendergast the linebackers, Collier the secondary, Ward the wide receivers, Bicknell the tight ends and Hoffman the special teams.
D'Alessandris, Perles and Muir all have experience coaching the offensive line. There is no obvious candidate to coach the running backs.

Pro_Angler
02-17-2009, 07:10 PM
I think that they made some good moves...

DT14PRIEST
02-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Im just overlooking all these coaches name and the comfort zone and previous relation really plays into these decisions let me explain:

Joel Collier: New England 2005-2007 [Secondary Coach] (Pioli Guy)

Gary Gibbs: Dallas 2002-2005 [Linebackers Coach] (Haley Guy)

Bill Muir: New York 1995-2001 [Offensive Line] (Pioli Guy)

Clancy Pendergast: Arizona 2008 [Defensive Coordinator] (Haley Guy)

Pat Perles: College ND State [Offensive Line/Offensive Coordinator] (No Idea)

Dedric Ward: Arizona 2007-2008 [Wide Recievers] (Haley Guy)

Just a quick reference as to their connection to the Head Coach and GM and their position at the time when they worked with either of them.

tornadospotter
02-17-2009, 07:15 PM
I think that they made some good moves...
:11: Well if I know anything, it is time, will tell!

tornadospotter
02-17-2009, 07:21 PM
I am glad to finally have some news from 1 Arrowhead Drive!

DT14PRIEST
02-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Also forgot to add in my post:

Steve Hoffman: Dallas 1989-2004 [Kicking/Quality Control] (Haley Guy)

jmlamerson
02-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Chiefs will keep Gailey, three other assistant coaches - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/669/story/1039280.html)

The Chiefs will retain offensive coordinator Chan Gailey as well as three other assistant coaches from former coach Herm Edwards' staff: Tim Krumrie, Bob Bicknell and Joe D’Alessandris.
The Chiefs also hired seven new assistant coaches: Joel Collier, Gary Gibbs, Steve Hoffman, Bill Muir, Clancy Pendergast, Pat Perles and Dedric Ward. The Chiefs didn't designate duties for any of these coaches. But Gailey (offense) and Gibbs (defense) are the likely coordinators. From their coaching backgrounds, it's also possible Krumrie will coach the defensive line, Pendergast the linebackers, Collier the secondary, Ward the wide receivers, Bicknell the tight ends and Hoffman the special teams.
D'Alessandris, Perles and Muir all have experience coaching the offensive line. There is no obvious candidate to coach the running backs.

I'm happy about Gailey. Great coordinator and his current players play hard for him. He was the best OC in the NFL last year for the job he did.

wubfree
02-17-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure what makes Pendergast so great. AZ's D was 'just okay' from what I saw. You'd have to blame them for losing the super bowl. Also, they seemed to have some talent, so I'm not sure if they were really overachievers. Seems like a CRONYISM to me. (of course, I hope I'm wrong)

Coach
02-17-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm happy about Gailey. Great coordinator and his current players play hard for him. He was the best OC in the NFL last year for the job he did.
Me too. I'm still waiting to see if he is still the OC. There were rumors that he might be an assistant coach. I hope we run a similar offense to what we had the last 8 games last year.

You'd have to blame them(Arizona Defense) for losing the super bowl.

I disagree completely. Arizona's defense gave up 20 points in the superbowl. The interception by Harrison was at least a 10 point swing and most likely a 14 point swing. That decided the game.

Arizona's defense struggled during the regular season, but they played great during the playoffs.

jap1
02-18-2009, 12:11 AM
It will be interesting to see who will be DC. Both Gibbs and Pendergrast were DC's last year.

On another positive note, both those guys worked with two of our top target FA's ... Vilma and Dansby. Maybe this means we will have an inside track on them in FA. Maybe even for AZ's Antonio Smith at DE (although he is nowhere near the top of the list).

Anyone know what kind of D Gibbs and Pendergrast used to run? 3-4 vs 4-3?

okikcfan
02-18-2009, 03:20 AM
I feel it was the Card's Defense under Pendergrast that cost them the Superbowl, so just for that reason I'm not real keen on him being the new DC....:beer:

hermhater
02-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Chan!!!

warcrychief
02-18-2009, 08:15 AM
I feel it was the Card's Defense under Pendergrast that cost them the Superbowl, so just for that reason I'm not real keen on him being the new DC....:beer:
I felt he did awesome during the post season. As far as him going up against Pitt in the SB, He held them most of the second half. And the D just broke. i think due to not much experience in big games.

balto
02-18-2009, 08:27 AM
LOL man,

Not sure who I want as DC lol. I'm guessing it will be Pendergrast, only because he was D coach last year while Haley was O, but who knows.

warcrychief
02-18-2009, 08:45 AM
LOL man,

Not sure who I want as DC lol. I'm guessing it will be Pendergrast, only because he was D coach last year while Haley was O, but who knows.

Tell you what we can only go up from where we are at.

dbolan
02-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Also forgot to add in my post:

Steve Hoffman: Dallas 1989-2004 [Kicking/Quality Control] (Haley Guy)

If he was in Dallas, shouldn't that be "Damage Control"??? LOLOLOL!

:D

yashi
02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Not really excited about either Gibbs or Pendergast being DC. I'd rather it be Pendergast since Gibbss defense has been ranked 32nd, 32nd, and 29th in his 3 years as DC.

Likewise, the Cardinals defense has gotten considerably worse every season for the past 3 years. This year they were 4th worst.

Unfortunately I don't envision our defense turning it around anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong. But from a coaching perspective, it definitely doesn't look great.

chief31
02-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Not really excited about either Gibbs or Pendergast being DC. I'd rather it be Pendergast since Gibbss defense has been ranked 32nd, 32nd, and 29th in his 3 years as DC.

Likewise, the Cardinals defense has gotten considerably worse every season for the past 3 years. This year they were 4th worst.

Unfortunately I don't envision our defense turning it around anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong. But from a coaching perspective, it definitely doesn't look great.

Agreed.

jtandcrew
02-18-2009, 10:51 AM
It almost sounds like its going to be OC and DC by committee. 2 for offense and 2 for defense. Dont know how this is really going to work out tbh!

ChiefMojo
02-18-2009, 11:07 AM
There are some very good assistants on the staff. Sure there are some names we won't be familiar with at first, but that is the name of the game when you hire a HC this late in the game.

Not sure how I feel about Krumrie returning. Must of out yelled Haley in the interview.

Muir, Pendergast, and Gibbs are all excellent hires. Sure Pendergast and/or Gibbs as DC is so-so, but as LB coaches they are TOP NOTCH. Muir has been considered one of the best OL coaches for a long time.

Lazeye
02-18-2009, 01:18 PM
I do not care about the past with these guys, I just hope they can find that grove they all need to be in to get us back on top. Its kinda like when a player has done crap for a season or two and everybody wants to write them off then they go to a new team and have a huge season, hopefully all the coachs are here at the right time in their careers to do big things for us.

okikcfan
02-18-2009, 01:41 PM
I do not care about the past with these guys, I just hope they can find that grove they all need to be in to get us back on top. Its kinda like when a player has done crap for a season or two and everybody wants to write them off then they go to a new team and have a huge season, hopefully all the coachs are here at the right time in their careers to do big things for us.

Agreed! It's a new start, a new season and a new Chiefs for 09, Let's rock arrowhead once again!:yahoo:

Chiefster
02-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Chiefs retain Chan Gailey, hire Gibbs and others - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsjMbgrooS6iPjbK1R668Q1DubYF?slug=ap-chiefscoaches&prov=ap&type=lgns)

DT14PRIEST
02-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Good thoughts here posted from: Chiefs: NEW DEFENSIVE COACHES | Upon Further Review (http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/626)

I don’t expect miracles and this isn’t exactly a who’s who line-up of top-quality defensive coaches. I’m not sure what to hope for. Obviously, I want the defense to improve, but I have to think there will be a lot better candidates sometime in late 2009. It will be tough to fire someone after a year if their part of the defense improves. But, that’s why Pioli gets paid the big bucks - to make the tough decisions.