PDA

View Full Version : Haynesworth will test the market

mac1024
02-18-2009, 05:06 PM
so do you think he will be interested to come in kc

Albert Haynesworth of Tennessee Titans to test free-agent market - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3916393&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

ChiefMojo
02-18-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm sure he very well could be, but we are going to have to break the bank to get him. He wants to be the highest paid DT in football.

hometeam
02-18-2009, 05:41 PM
He wont be in KC~

Canada
02-18-2009, 06:30 PM
:D I wont believe that until I hear it from jmlamerson first!!:D

balto
02-18-2009, 07:26 PM
How big of a waste would it be to get him for NT in a 3-4? He has the size and ability, but I just don't know if it would be worth the money to a NT.

BUT MAN could you imagine if Albert was our NT in a 3-4 and was still able to get up field while being doubled? That just doesn't happen and if it did our entire D would be top 10 easy because of how 1 guy is playing.

pbatrucker
02-18-2009, 09:02 PM
I think Haynesworth will sign the big contract and go in the tank. He didn"t too much until a new contract was getting close. Also he's a warm weather guy, he will probally sign with someone in the south.

Coach
02-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Paying Haynesworth big money scares me.

jmlamerson
02-18-2009, 11:22 PM
:D I wont believe that until I hear it from jmlamerson first!!:D

Fine, he won't be in KC.

Almost certainly.

Sn@keIze
02-19-2009, 02:47 AM
Lets go for it! If you want to be the best you need to be willing to take chances.

Yes paying big money is scary. But its also scary awesome if we get him and it pans out.

In a 3-4 youre DT is the Core!!!

DT14PRIEST
02-19-2009, 05:32 AM
We'd have to offer him bogus insane team crippling amounts of money to get him to KC.

I agree with the notion, that he won't be in a Chief uniform in the forseeable future.

slc chief
02-19-2009, 08:03 AM
We'd have to offer him bogus insane team crippling amounts of money to get him to KC.

I agree with the notion, that he won't be in a Chief uniform in the forseeable future.

i am ok with that because what some people are saying is that he is a contract player wich means he does not play hard unless he needs a new contract dont we have one of those on our team already ( larry johnson)

dbolan
02-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Fine, he won't be in KC.

Almost certainly.

Damn...We agree on something? LOL! :bananen_smilies046:

dbolan
02-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Fine, he won't be in KC.

Almost certainly.

i am ok with that because what some people are saying is that he is a contract player wich means he does not play hard unless he needs a new contract dont we have one of those on our team already ( larry johnson)

Just for the record...I have looked at data (stats) on numerous players in the past and it's more so true than not that:

1) The season prior to contract, their numbers are noticeably better than in previous years, and

2) The numbers tend to drop off in the season following the "big money" contract.

Mind you...I did not say "all" of them do this but there is certainly enough data to show substantial merit.

One good reason why I believe in incentive laden contracts. No fan of "huge" signing bonuses but do not have a problem with a signing bonus in general.

prough91
02-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Just curious, when you evaluate a DT what stats would you look at? Or is it more of a how well he disrupts the offense type of thing?

dbolan
02-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Just curious, when you evaluate a DT what stats would you look at? Or is it more of a how well he disrupts the offense type of thing?

One thing is always gonna be sacks, qb pressures and how well the run is stuffed. Another thing that I fatcor in is durability, consistency and character, without a doubt.

He was virtually unknown until the face stomping incident then had a great follow-up year. For me, personally, I would pass on him for the kind of money he is asking for. Too risky from a money and character standpoint.

jmlamerson
02-19-2009, 12:09 PM
One thing is always gonna be sacks, qb pressures and how well the run is stuffed. Another thing that I fatcor in is durability, consistency and character, without a doubt.

He was virtually unknown until the face stomping incident then had a great follow-up year. For me, personally, I would pass on him for the kind of money he is asking for. Too risky from a money and character standpoint.

How well a DT defends the run is the primary factor that I look at when evaluating DTs. Next is how well they collapse the pocket in pass situations.

Sacks just aren't that important of a DT statistic. Unless it's a true freak like Warren Sapp, Kevin Williams, or Darnell Dockett, your DT will never be a good sack guy. And tackles are an overrated stat for DTs, just as they are for CBs, because a DT/CB usually can't be doing a terribly good job if they have the opportunity to make so many tackles.

Pure statistic-wise, to me, total run defense is the most important statistic, coupled with how many yards-per-carry a team averages against you.

And Haynesworth has no value to us in a 3-4. He's a perfect 4-3 DT.

Codac
02-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Fine, he won't be in KC.

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly? How about a guarantee? He isn't going to be in KC. Same with Bart Scott, Ray Lewis, Anquan Boldin, and whoever else all you people keep mentioning. I am 99.9999999999999% sure we won't get any big name guys this offseason.

prough91
02-19-2009, 03:10 PM
How well a DT defends the run is the primary factor that I look at when evaluating DTs. Next is how well they collapse the pocket in pass situations.

Sacks just aren't that important of a DT statistic. Unless it's a true freak like Warren Sapp, Kevin Williams, or Darnell Dockett, your DT will never be a good sack guy. And tackles are an overrated stat for DTs, just as they are for CBs, because a DT/CB usually can't be doing a terribly good job if they have the opportunity to make so many tackles.

Pure statistic-wise, to me, total run defense is the most important statistic, coupled with how many yards-per-carry a team averages against you.

And Haynesworth has no value to us in a 3-4. He's a perfect 4-3 DT.

I was going to say, I hadn't seen him play very much at all so I looked up his stats and I didn't find him that impressive. I don't know how great Haynesworth was at disrupting the run game and collapsing the pocket his rookie year, but Dorsey actually had better stats in his first year then Haynesworth did.

jmlamerson
02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I was going to say, I hadn't seen him play very much at all so I looked up his stats and I didn't find him that impressive. I don't know how great Haynesworth was at disrupting the run game and collapsing the pocket his rookie year, but Dorsey actually had better stats in his first year then Haynesworth did.

No, he didn't. Haynesworth's DL was 2nd against the run, allowing 89.0 yards per game. Dorsey's DL was 30th, allowing 158.9 yards per game. That's a difference of 70 yards a game!

I don't credit Haynesworth or blame Dorsey entirely for those stats, but the fact is that people ran all over the Chiefs DL and they did not run on the Titans DL.

Dorsey accrued tackles because teams weren't afraid to run right at him.

Vandelay
02-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't see Pioli going after Hainsworth considering his injury problems thruout his career. I would love to have the guy but it's probably not worth the huge money it's going to require to get him. Plus, will he want to play as hard, or play hurt, once he gets that big money?

prough91
02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
No, he didn't. Haynesworth's DL was 2nd against the run, allowing 89.0 yards per game. Dorsey's DL was 30th, allowing 158.9 yards per game. That's a difference of 70 yards a game!

I don't credit Haynesworth or blame Dorsey entirely for those stats, but the fact is that people ran all over the Chiefs DL and they did not run on the Titans DL.

Dorsey accrued tackles because teams weren't afraid to run right at him.

In Haynesworth's rookie year?

jmlamerson
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
In Haynesworth's rookie year?

Yep, in his rookie year.

prough91
02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Yep, in his rookie year.

Was his line overall better?

jmlamerson
02-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Was his line overall better?

Very, very few DL are historically worse than what the Chiefs put on the field this year.

Haynesworth, Carlos Hall, Kevin Carter, and a mixture of John Thornton/Henry Ford were the starters. And Haynesworth was lucky enough not to have retards for coaches.

I'm not coming close to denying that Haynesworth had advantages over Dorsey. But there's no way to say that Dorsey had the better rookie year. Dorsey, because of bad coaching, bad supporting cast, and/or other reasons was blown off the line more than not. And we got run on because of that.

prough91
02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Very, very few DL are historically worse than what the Chiefs put on the field this year.

Haynesworth, Carlos Hall, Kevin Carter, and a mixture of John Thornton/Henry Ford were the starters. And Haynesworth was lucky enough not to have retards for coaches.

I'm not coming close to denying that Haynesworth had advantages over Dorsey. But there's no way to say that Dorsey had the better rookie year. Dorsey, because of bad coaching, bad supporting cast, and/or other reasons was blown off the line more than not. And we got run on because of that.

I wish I had saved some of the games now. It would be interesting to see how many times they ran at Dorsey compared to how many times they ran around him.

pbatrucker
02-23-2009, 08:30 AM
go to ESPN.com and watch the video about Gilbert, a DT from San Jose. He will probally be available in the 2nd RD