Dasby- tagged (Cardinals LB)
Peppers- tagged (Panthers DE)
Asomugha- signed (Raiders CB)
Suggs- tagged (Ravens LB)
Leroy Hill- tagged (Seahawks LB)
Dunta Robison- tagged (Texans CB)
Oshiomogho Atogwe- tagged (Rams S)

In other news:

The Bucs are going to go hard after Haynesworth. Which, makes sense considering they run a 4-3 and plan on re-signing Ryan Sims. lol. This may break a few hearts around here if they are successful, but if we're switching to the 3-4 (which IS the indication), Haynesworth would be an albatross of a contract for this franchise... especially when you take into account that the guy has never played an entire season.

From Adam Teicher:

I thought this little blurp was interesting.

Another major decision facing Haley is whether to align the Chiefs in a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense. Haley hired as assistants two former NFL defensive coordinators, Gary Gibbs and Clancy Pendergast. Gibbs has a more extensive background in the 3-4 and Pendergast in the 4-3.

Haley wouldn’t say, but it’s possible Gibbs could be the coordinator and Pendergast the linebackers coach if the Chiefs use the 3-4. Those duties might reverse if Haley decides to use the 4-3.

“We just had the first staff meeting (Tuesday),” Haley said. “What I told these guys is that I want them to go through each player and then we’ll figure out what we have. We’ll do that on each side of the ball, very detailed. I want an open mind. I’m a big believer in doing what your players can do best. When we get through that process, I’ll have a stronger feeling about which way we’re going to go.

“I will say that some of the players we have here defensively from what I’ve seen offer some flexibility. (Glenn) Dorsey is a good enough athlete to have some versatility. He could play either system.”

I think it's interesting that he singled Dorsey out as a "flexible" player considering most seem to believe he's the LEAST flexible.

texaschief
02-19-2009, 02:45 PM
As far as be best remaining free agents go, LB should be the #1 priority. The best remaining are:

Jonathan Vilma (Saints)
Bart Scott (Ravens)
Michael Boley (Falcons)

Ray Lewis and Eric Barton are out there as well, but they're both over 31 years old and I'm not too interested in them.

The free agent market for DEs has dried up. Right now, the best the Chiefs could hope for is that we trade for Peppers or draft a DE early.

DT14PRIEST
02-19-2009, 03:01 PM
As far as be best remaining free agents go, LB should be the #1 priority. The best remaining are:

Jonathan Vilma (Saints)
Bart Scott (Ravens)
Michael Boley (Falcons)

Ray Lewis and Eric Barton are out there as well, but they're both over 31 years old and I'm not too interested in them.

The free agent market for DEs has dried up. Right now, the best the Chiefs could hope for is that we trade for Peppers or draft a DE early.

I think you could feasibly add Channing Crowder (Miami) to your list of top LB's still avalible.

And Chris Canty (Dallas) jumps up to the best DE still avalible.

On the offensive side of the ball there are still some quality names avalible.

Vernon Carey OT (Miami)
Jahri Evans G (New Orleans)

Just to name a few.

texaschief
02-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I like Channing Crowder.

texaschief
02-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Is there another position Tamba Hali could play?

6-3, 275 4.7-40

Could he drop some weight and play MLB? He's not fast enough to play OLB, right? I don't think he's horrible at the DE spot, but if the Chiefs get in position to sign a better DE and happen to get a good DE fall in their lap in the 2nd, what could we do with Hali? Getting a Michael Johnson in the 2nd, isn't out of the question.

Another big name that could be there in the 2nd round, could be James Laurinaitis. For some reason, his stock is plummeting. The "all knowing" Mel Kiper Jr. even has him being taken at #29. That's all of 5 spots ahead of KC's 2nd pick. That could be a dream come true.

DT14PRIEST
02-19-2009, 05:55 PM

6-3, 275 4.7-40

Could he drop some weight and play MLB? He's not fast enough to play OLB, right? I don't think he's horrible at the DE spot, but if the Chiefs get in position to sign a better DE and happen to get a good DE fall in their lap in the 2nd, what could we do with Hali? Getting a Michael Johnson in the 2nd, isn't out of the question.

Another big name that could be there in the 2nd round, could be James Laurinaitis. For some reason, his stock is plummeting. The "all knowing" Mel Kiper Jr. even has him being taken at #29. That's all of 5 spots ahead of KC's 2nd pick. That could be a dream come true.

I think Tamba Hali could possibly be molded into a OLB/DE Suggs/Harrison type pass rusher if the defense were to switch to a 3-4. He has a quick first step and great motor coming off the outside edge when paired with a stud DE in 4-3 like JA.

That being said if he could drop maybe 15-20lbs in the off season and was paired with a Chris Canty type DE to demand the outside edge double team I think it could be done in my opinion.

And if things were to go somehow according to draft reality I think Laurinaitis will be gone by the second round, it might be a reach to say he'll be there by the second round. I think his combine stats will help solidify his spot in the first round and I can't see the Lions passing on him if he does fall to the second.

If were talking about possible second round slips to the Chiefs I could see the following names being possibilities.

1. Clint Sintim OLB, Virginia (if we take OT at #3)
2. Connor Bardwin DE/OLB, Cinncy (if we take Curry)

Among other more popular names.

jap1
02-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Another guy that is a little under the radar in my opinion is Clay Matthews out of USC, or if we are lucky Brian Cushing. Cushing is a late 1st round guy who will probably be gone. Matthews though is pretty good and gets forgotten a lot with all the press that Maualuga and Cushing get.

Here are some stats on him:
Clay Matthews, USC
Height: 6-3. Weight: 246.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2009): 2-3.
1/10/09: A member of the All-Pac 10 Second Team, Clay Matthews (sounds like a guy on American Idol) managed 10.5 TFL, three sacks and six passes broken up.

He may even slip to us in the 3rd, and I think he could be a starter on day 1.

jmlamerson
02-19-2009, 08:48 PM

6-3, 275 4.7-40

Hali should lose the weight no matter what. He lost whatever first step he had by trying to be a JA clone.

I think he might do well as a OLB. Only one way to find out . . .

yashi
02-19-2009, 10:19 PM
yeah, it's really OLB or special teams for Hali in the 3-4.