PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia

stlchief
07-29-2007, 12:37 AM
We're getting a room ready for a new arrival later in the year, and had to go thru the closets. In these closets so rarely opened, many things not needed in day-to-day life were stored. Among these, were boxes and boxes of baseball / football / basketball / hockey cards I collected growing up.

As I pulled them out to find them a new home, I started looking thru them. The memories of the fun we had riding our bikes to the card shop came flooding back.

There was my 1964 Mickey Mantle I bought in the late '80s because the shop dealer cut me a deal when I couldn't afford it and he saw how excited I was as my friend dropped $30 on a card I couldn't afford.

And there they were. The Chiefs of the past. DT. Lowry. Montana. The Nigerian Nightmare. Barry Word. Stephon Paige. Carlos Carson. Herman Heard. Harvey Williams. On and on. They were on Topps, Fleer, and my beloved Chiefs Huddle cards (for the non-KC area residents, these were the ones the police officers gave to kids in order to build a postive attitude and connection).

Also, I had my Royals. Willie Wilson / Brett / autographed Frank White, Black & Blue (from an 80's Fleer set), Amos Otis, etc.

In my office at work, I have my fathead Priest Holmes poster (I received as a gift from my cousin who won it at the KCFX Adult Easter Egg hunt 2 yrs ago --> Hey FOX - what happened, I drove in this year and you didn't have it). But top and center are my 1985 pennants from the World Series with the Cardinals (which being in STL go over real well). I remember sitting at my grandparent's house in Leeds watching game 7. Every time the Royals scored, we would go out on the porch and listen to the roar of the stadium. :-)

Anyway - lots of strong memories and it was GREAT! I was just wondering if anyone else has those pieces of the past lieing around the house and if they are as strong emtionally for you as they are for me...

luv
07-29-2007, 12:42 AM
My dad was cleaning out a storage closet in his basement last weekend. I had three boxes of stuff that I had placed in there YEARS ago. A lot of stuff from when I was active in church and the camps I went to. There were books, knick-knacks, my graduation gown, etc. It was fun to go through, even though I ended up throwing most of it out.

Coach
07-29-2007, 01:24 PM
I have about 30,000 sporting cards from the 80's and early 90's. Lots of Chiefs, Cowboys, etc. Mainly baseball cards though. I also have some old Chiefs posters from the mid-late 90's. One with Andre Rison is very sweet.

Chiefster
07-29-2007, 04:25 PM
We're getting a room ready for a new arrival later in the year, and had to go thru the closets. In these closets so rarely opened, many things not needed in day-to-day life were stored. Among these, were boxes and boxes of baseball / football / basketball / hockey cards I collected growing up.

As I pulled them out to find them a new home, I started looking thru them. The memories of the fun we had riding our bikes to the card shop came flooding back.

There was my 1964 Mickey Mantle I bought in the late '80s because the shop dealer cut me a deal when I couldn't afford it and he saw how excited I was as my friend dropped $30 on a card I couldn't afford.

And there they were. The Chiefs of the past. DT. Lowry. Montana. The Nigerian Nightmare. Barry Word. Stephon Paige. Carlos Carson. Herman Heard. Harvey Williams. On and on. They were on Topps, Fleer, and my beloved Chiefs Huddle cards (for the non-KC area residents, these were the ones the police officers gave to kids in order to build a postive attitude and connection).

Also, I had my Royals. Willie Wilson / Brett / autographed Frank White, Black & Blue (from an 80's Fleer set), Amos Otis, etc.

In my office at work, I have my fathead Priest Holmes poster (I received as a gift from my cousin who won it at the KCFX Adult Easter Egg hunt 2 yrs ago --> Hey FOX - what happened, I drove in this year and you didn't have it). But top and center are my 1985 pennants from the World Series with the Cardinals (which being in STL go over real well). I remember sitting at my grandparent's house in Leeds watching game 7. Every time the Royals scored, we would go out on the porch and listen to the roar of the stadium. :-)

Anyway - lots of strong memories and it was GREAT! I was just wondering if anyone else has those pieces of the past lieing around the house and if they are as strong emtionally for you as they are for me...

:lol::lol:

Yup I got albums and boxes full of the stuff. An autographed picture of Montana. Good stuff!