PDA

View Full Version : PED's in the NFL

dbolan
02-24-2009, 02:27 PM
I know this is a touchy subject for a lot of folks but it is rampant in HS, College and in the Pros.

The part of it that yanks my perverbial chain is that it is rarely detected on any of these levels and my major gripe is that there are many substances other than PED's that are not illegal.

Here is my issue and concern:

I have an 11 year old son that has tons of talent on the football field at this time. He is easily one of the top ten players in his age bracket of the youth league which constists of about 250 players.

IF and I mean IF steroids, hgh, over the counter PED's (Creatine, steroid precursors, etc) were not allowed and these kids were thoroughly tested from High School on up, we would actually end up with "real" authentic athletes all the way around.

For many of us that have played sports or even been a gym rat to some degree, we know that the advantages of "supplementing" can make a difference in the late term outcome of who gets what and when. Pure athletes and hard workers are ousted by the users. Selfishness in a nutshell.

My son, as mentioned, is a top ten athlete in his age group but I could easily see several others surpass him (in later years of course) by using PED's and/or a combination of precursor's (which when combined properly with other precursors can make a "complete" steroid).

I see 14,15 and 16 year old boys in our local gym that are 185+ lbs, ripped to the bone, acne on their body and receeding/thinning hair and/or prdominantly manly features yet no one seems to bat a brow.

Is this what it has come too? It is not about the gift of athleticism and/or plain old hard work a person puts into making themselves the best they can be...It is about BUYING your way to the top...Cutting the ones down that choose to work hard and better themselves the "fair" way even if they are not as gifted as others.

The sad thing is, one day soon, my son will reach a decision point in his life based on aforementioned because he has a dream and I hope it is the right decision.

Last but not least...If anyone "thinks" that PED's are not regularly used in this sport by many, please remove the rose colored glasses.

balto
02-24-2009, 02:49 PM
He is only 11.....

I'd just wait a few years, he might not even like football when he is older /shrug

yashi
02-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Anyone who would deny that PED's are not used in the NFL only needs to look at one picture.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/02/30.jpg

I can't speak from any personal experience, but for me I think that most guys who take steroids end up paying a heavy price. Merriman's knee is falling apart, Bonds knees can barely hold him up. Quite frankly, I'm pretty sure these people die much earlier than they would normally.

PEDs might put a very good player over the hump, but they're not going to turn a string bean into an NFL linebacker. If some adult is stupid enough to let some drug jack them up for a few years and cause them to lose decades from their lives, then that's their problem.

I do have an issue with kids taking these things however. They might not have the capacity to realize what they're doing to themselves in the long term. Their cerebral cortex isn't fully developed.

The sad thing? It's impossible to stop it, new ways of masking the drugs will always be developed as old ones are discovered. It's a never ending cycle.

dbolan
02-24-2009, 03:48 PM
He is only 11.....

I'd just wait a few years, he might not even like football when he is older /shrug

Hi Balto...

Yes, that is possible. But with that statement, I pose this...

Let's say he is interested...Then you have several "under achievers" from a few years earlier submerge out of nowhere with significantly increased strength, speed and stamina and just so happens, they are competing for his starting position.

And let's say he loses the position because they used the sauce. What does that do to the fabric of the sport and our society?

One of 2 things will happen....He will either chose to get on some PED's OR he will eventually "decide" not to play anymore.

Seriously, that is another good point to present.

Right now, as a starting Offensive RT and a starting DT for the past 5 years, I would find it quite stupifying to see another kid replace him unless they get some "help".

It happens and I'm glad you posted that statement.

dbolan
02-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Anyone who would deny that PED's are not used in the NFL only needs to look at one picture.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/02/30.jpg

I can't speak from any personal experience, but for me I think that most guys who take steroids end up paying a heavy price. Merriman's knee is falling apart, Bonds knees can barely hold him up. Quite frankly, I'm pretty sure these people die much earlier than they would normally.

PEDs might put a very good player over the hump, but they're not going to turn a string bean into an NFL linebacker. If some adult is stupid enough to let some drug jack them up for a few years and cause them to lose decades from their lives, then that's their problem.

I do have an issue with kids taking these things however. They might not have the capacity to realize what they're doing to themselves in the long term. Their cerebral cortex isn't fully developed.

The sad thing? It's impossible to stop it, new ways of masking the drugs will always be developed as old ones are discovered. It's a never ending cycle.

Merriman is one of MANY. These physiques are freaky and look down the roster and see these guys and what they are capable of doing it an amazing testament to the drugs.

I'm not just saying this stuff out of my arse...I have been arounnd numerous "users", one was the brink of signing a contract with Joe Wieder many years ago as a pro bodybuilder.

When you look at a 22 year old guy that is 6'1", 245 and 5% bodyfat, he is a user. No doubt. Rememebr Vernon Gholston last year in the combine pics? Freak of Science...Not nature! LOL!

Canada
02-24-2009, 03:58 PM
I think that drugs affecting all kids is a much more serious issue than PEDs for 11 year olds. I mean no offense but if u test kids for PEDs at a young age then you are going to do nothing but show them that you do not trust them to make the right decision, however education on all drugs is the answer. PEDs among youth is a miniscule problem compared to cocaine, ecstasy ets... Parents should be parents and educate their kids on the dangers of making those decisions. Anyone who can outperform your kid at age 11 due to PEDs will not be around to compete on any level by the time he is 20 and does have to face regular drug tests. Someone posted that we will never be rid of drugs. That may be true but I am going to do everything possible to prevent it happening to my kids. If everyone did the same we would not have a problem.

*I am not questioning anyones parenting abilities!!

Canada
02-24-2009, 04:00 PM
I also think the ones who do it are just more in the spotlight. When one guy gets caught, the news is everywhere. When was the last time the NFL ticker said "Larry Johnson tests negative for PED's"? You only hear about most of these guys cause it is plastered all over the news.

balto
02-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi Balto...

Yes, that is possible. But with that statement, I pose this...

Let's say he is interested...Then you have several "under achievers" from a few years earlier submerge out of nowhere with significantly increased strength, speed and stamina and just so happens, they are competing for his starting position.

And let's say he loses the position because they used the sauce. What does that do to the fabric of the sport and our society?

One of 2 things will happen....He will either chose to get on some PED's OR he will eventually "decide" not to play anymore.

Seriously, that is another good point to present.

Right now, as a starting Offensive RT and a starting DT for the past 5 years, I would find it quite stupifying to see another kid replace him unless they get some "help".

It happens and I'm glad you posted that statement.

So your saying 5 years ago (age 6) and ever since your son has started at RT/DT of a group of 250 kids?

MAN, I'll try to be as nice as I can, but come on man.... He is ONLY 11 and I remember when I was that age there where plenty of kids bigger then me at that age, BUT as we all know kids will go through Puberty around 14 or so and who knows what these 250 kids will look like in 4 or 5 years ya know.

Again I'm not trying to be a *** and I totally agree that there needs to be something done about kids and enhancement drugs, but you seem to be already making your kid out to be a NFL star at age 11, because he has started since age 6?

I just hope your Kid does not grow up and watch his dad call other kids cheaters and drug user JUST because they were late bloomers and like MANY kids did not come into them self until later years in High School. I hope your kid goes on to be a NFL Hall of Famer, but if he grows up and he can not keep up with other kids don't play the drug card EVERY time. It might just be as simple as your kid not having the talent (Like Millions of others in this world) to be a top tier athlete.

I'm all for stopping kids from doing enhancement drugs, but I would wait until at least until Puberty sits in IMO

dbolan
02-25-2009, 09:52 AM
So your saying 5 years ago (age 6) and ever since your son has started at RT/DT of a group of 250 kids?

MAN, I'll try to be as nice as I can, but come on man.... He is ONLY 11 and I remember when I was that age there where plenty of kids bigger then me at that age, BUT as we all know kids will go through Puberty around 14 or so and who knows what these 250 kids will look like in 4 or 5 years ya know.

Again I'm not trying to be a *** and I totally agree that there needs to be something done about kids and enhancement drugs, but you seem to be already making your kid out to be a NFL star at age 11, because he has started since age 6?

I just hope your Kid does not grow up and watch his dad call other kids cheaters and drug user JUST because they were late bloomers and like MANY kids did not come into them self until later years in High School. I hope your kid goes on to be a NFL Hall of Famer, but if he grows up and he can not keep up with other kids don't play the drug card EVERY time. It might just be as simple as your kid not having the talent (Like Millions of others in this world) to be a top tier athlete.

I'm all for stopping kids from doing enhancement drugs, but I would wait until at least until Puberty sits in IMO

I thjink you are taking my intentions all wrong and I will try to clarify, if possible.

Do I think my kid is gonna be in the NFL? Anything is possible. He has a dream, so I am all for that.

Am I playing the drug card? No. I am simply saying that I KNOW guys that were clean and lose their positions and determination to other kids that are using PED's.

Am I saying h that 11 year olds are doing it? No...These kids are doing it in the high school level for sure and that is what I was addressing as well as the upper levels.

My point is....If you have a kid that has raw talent and is developing his skills very nicely at a pre-pubecent age, then about 3 years down the road, a kid that YOU COACHED in the youth leagues all of the sudden starts blowing other kids out of the water that have had more experience and natural talent, then THERE IS an area for question.

My other point is, that athletes from the teenage years and on up are being ousted by users. It is a fact.

balto
02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Great points, I agree 100%

dbolan
02-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Another quick note....Concerning excuses, I don't use them but when it becomes evident that some "take" a clear advantage, people have to speak up.

As far as puberty goes, these 11-12 year olds are already at puberty these days! LOL!

Please understand this.. I would hate to see any kid with grit, determination and talent get replaced by another kid that is using outside advantages. ANY kid.

If my son can't cut the cheese naturally, I will be the first one to inform him of the reality. Lying and cheating will hurt more than help, IMHO.