PDA

View Full Version : Damon Huard, Patrick Surtain and Donnie Edwards all released

fairladyZ
02-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Just saw the breaking news on nfl network.

Chiefs release pat surtain!

honda522
02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
That kinda sucks, he was really good a few years ago. Dam players age for some reason :p

Vandelay
02-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Just saw the breaking news on nfl network.

Chiefs release pat surtain!
No suprise. Who will be next?

kuchief
02-24-2009, 06:11 PM
good

balto
02-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Looks like Huard and Edwards got cut as well.

Chiefs release Huard, Surtain, Edwards - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1052062.html)

WOW our Cap is BIG now hehe

AkChief49
02-24-2009, 06:53 PM
The rookie TE, Merritt got the boot also.

yashi
02-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Surtain never really panned out how I hoped he would. I was really excited when we got him from the Dolphins. Oh well, the future is still bright at CB with Flowers, Carr, Leggett.

Codac
02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Didn't quite do what he should have. But he is a good player.

Codac
02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
I will miss Edwards. He is way past his prime but he was a beast. WAS is the key word.

Coach
02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm glad we split ways with Huard.

Sn@keIze
02-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Ill miss Surtain. He played good for us. You could tell it was time on his last interception return heading for the endzone....

honda522
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Me too, without a good line he is useless.

fairladyZ
02-24-2009, 08:50 PM
so how much more room is this going to give us with the cap?

Hayvern
02-24-2009, 08:51 PM

I am torn on Huard. It is kind of the same way I felt about Trent Green too. I liked him, I liked his work ethic and all of that, but I knew that he too long in the tooth.

Sn@keIze
02-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Me too, without a good line he is useless.Without a good line pretty much every body is useless.

Who do you see replacing Huard as backup or 3rd string that can do what Huard can do..er..excuse me did do. He managed games. Croyle hasnt even won a game.. compared to someone who took this team to the playoffs.

And I dont think that age should be considered in this. Why, look at Warner!

Anyway hes gone. I just puzzled bout this. oh well.

texaschief
02-24-2009, 09:59 PM
This couldn't have surprised anyone. I'm glad they're all gone. I didn't realize they'd be saving that much cap space. By getting rid of Edwards and Surtain though, I'd be interested to see who Pioli brings in to lead the young players at those positions.

Huard should be gone. If he had the best O-line in the league in front of him, he could be a good QB, but he played with the Chiefs and there's no way they could protect him as they stand right now.

So, what... that puts our available cap space somewhere around 45 million? nice... Hopefully, Pioli doesn't blow the whole thing this season on a weak remaining FA class like the Raiders did last year (who released EVERY FA they acquired last season btw).

chiefsfreak4life
02-24-2009, 10:04 PM

Me too. I was so tired of the whole Huard/Green debate (felt Green got the shaft in KC) then the Croyle/Huard debacle started! I am ashamed to say that I was actually happy when they both went on the DL. I knew it would continue our losing, but I felt it would be the best for the team, and fan base, plus I knew it would mean the end of Damon Horrid in KC!!

texaschief
02-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Me too. I was so tired of the whole Huard/Green debate (felt Green got the shaft in KC) then the Croyle/Huard debacle started! I am ashamed to say that I was actually happy when they both went on the DL. I knew it would continue our losing, but I felt it would be the best for the team, and fan base, plus I knew it would mean the end of Damon Horrid in KC!!

Why did Green get the shaft? After that first concussion, he's done exactly jack s#!%. He shouldn't have been the starter and shouldn't have been looked at as the QB of the future, present, or any other position on the team. He's going to get his *** killed if he doesn't hang it up soon. It makes me sick every time I see him on the field. At some point, you have to think about your family and realize your time has come and gone.

Sn@keIze
02-24-2009, 10:36 PM
The fact that every body is kind of spitting in the face of Huard is quite comical. I appreciate everything hes done.YouTube - Damon Huard tribute

Vandelay
02-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Why the hatred toward Huard? I agree it was time to move on, but until last year the guy did a great job when called upon. And speaking of the shaft, Huard was the one that recieved it in the playoffs a few years ago.

Big Daddy Tek
02-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Huard would never lose you a game. He might not be able to throw a team on his shoulders and carry them to victory, but he would not lose one for you. If he had time, he was very accurate. He NEVER b!tched once about being yanked in and out of the line up whenever anybody else was available. He took it like a man and like a teammate. People in all walks of life can learn from a guy like Damon Huard. Good Luck D!

Chiefster
02-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Huard would never lose you a game. He might not be able to throw a team on his shoulders and carry them to victory, but he would not lose one for you. If he had time, he was very accurate. He NEVER b!tched once about being yanked in and out of the line up whenever anybody else was available. He took it like a man and like a teammate. People in all walks of life can learn from a guy like Damon Huard. Good Luck D!

Agreed, I always kinda liked him.

SDChief09
02-24-2009, 11:22 PM
I definitely am not spitting on Huard, I think he did a heck of a job, especially in the back up role, and filling in when Trent went down.

However, to save almost 11 mil by cutting him and edwards makes too much sense...Donnie was not providing a whole lot of leadership anyway, and had 1 year left on his deal, mostly which wouldve been spent in the Tub.

Huard, makes no sense to have around, with Thigpen as the guy who will either start or be the number 2, and Brodie still an option(hes on the roster...)basically I just dont see how he fits, the money is too important.

Plus, now the extra cash from Surtain/Huard cover us cutting LJ, and that makes me very happy....Its time for a new era, and moving on past these poor signings is best(Surtain was overpaid, but I was one of those who liked the signing at the time)

With Flowers/Carr/Leggett, they all were going to play ahead of Surtain, so all 3 really make sense...

in the 3-4, we will need 3 more linebackers, 2 if Demorrio fits in, and 2 if Pollard is moved, and that is doable with the draft/free agency if Crowder/Curry come that covers it.

Coach
02-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Agreed, I always kinda liked him.

I always liked him more than Croyle. But he is not the future.

Chiefster
02-24-2009, 11:30 PM
I always liked him more than Croyle. But he is not the future.

True, we was at best a short term solution, a band aid on a hemophiliac.

warcrychief
02-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Sure Edwards and Huard were the right thing to do, but i was suprised about Surtain.

Hayvern
02-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Sure Edwards and Huard were the right thing to do, but i was suprised about Surtain.

You shouldn't have been. He hardly played last season, he clearly lost more than a step against the young guys. It was time for him to go. I think he has provided what leadership he has in him.

He will likely get picked up somewhere.

tornadospotter
02-25-2009, 02:30 AM
I hope not, I want Curry.

kuchief
02-25-2009, 02:31 AM
well I dont think Huard was in our future plans, so it doesn't mean we are taking a passer.

josh1971
02-25-2009, 03:48 AM
I agree with kuchief. Why would releasing Huard mean we're drafting a QB? We still have (at present) Croyle, Thigpen, and Gray.

jb

yashi
02-25-2009, 09:19 AM
It was a cap move and nothing more.

hometeam
02-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Probabaly not, we still have Thig, Gray, Croyle, Martin

thats 2 more QB's than the NFL requires and 1 more than any team carrys~

ChiefMojo
02-25-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't think it means anything when it comes to drafting a QB or not. We already have plenty of QB's on roster and Damon is old, expensive for his worth, and the most needed to go when we are talking the future. It was a no brainier move.

Codac
02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs terminated Damon Huards contract on Tuesday. Could this mean KC will go after a Rookie QB with their#3 pick? Time will tell as FA pans out and men begin to move around the league.
Also Donnie Edwards had his contract terminated.

Why in the world would his release in anyway make you think that? Thats ridiculous. We don't need a QB this year. We will get one next year hopefully. Only thing that his release means is that they will keep Croyle for 3rd string instead of him. Wow. I'm just baffled that you'd think that. Its making me chuckle too.

Codac
02-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Probabaly not, we still have Thig, Gray, Croyle, Martin

thats 2 more QB's than the NFL requires and 1 more than any team carrys~

Na. Most teams have about 4. Unless you are Gruden, then you have like 15. Haha.

Lazeye
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Thats ridiculous. We don't need a QB this year. We will get one next year hopefully.
I hope not! Thiggy has a big year this year we might not take one next year either and if we do he will prob come in the later rounds.

topgonzo
02-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Croyle is history. Guy hasn't won a regular season game and wont get the chance. I have been expecting to hear more in regards to Huard and Croyle figuring that both wont be back this year.

Codac
02-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Croyle is history. Guy hasn't won a regular season game and wont get the chance. I have been expecting to hear more in regards to Huard and Croyle figuring that both wont be back this year.

Croyle would be a good 3rd string. No point in letting him go this year. Keep him for the season and then dump him next year.

Bike
02-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Croyle would be a good 3rd string. No point in letting him go this year. Keep him for the season and then dump him next year.
Why? He's wasting a roster spot. Croyle needs to be traded to a dome team where a gust of wind won't put him on the IR...

Codac
02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Why? He's wasting a roster spot. Croyle needs to be traded to a dome team where a gust of wind won't put him on the IR...

What exactly do you want from a third string? At that spot he isn't going to be playing. Why does everyone think he is a waste of a roster spot. Better than half the backups out there. Just because he has had a history of getting hurt. Thats why he is a third string.

Coach
02-25-2009, 07:27 PM
What exactly do you want from a third string? At that spot he isn't going to be playing. Why does everyone think he is a waste of a roster spot. Better than half the backups out there. Just because he has had a history of getting hurt. Thats why he is a third string.

Wasn't Thigpen the 3rd stringer last year?

Codac
02-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Wasn't Thigpen the 3rd stringer last year?

Aye. But last year was an incredably bad year. Everything that could go wrong, did. That doesn't happen every year.

Bike
02-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Then get him outta here. He has yet to win one single game in the NFL. He IS a wasted roster spot...

Coach
02-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Aye. But last year was an incredably bad year. Everything that could go wrong, did. That doesn't happen every year.

So we should proceed as if it couldn't happen again?

Codac
02-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Then get him outta here. He has yet to win one single game in the NFL. He IS a wasted roster spot...

He has one year left on his contract. He isn't a waste. Getting rid of him would mean we would need to sign another. What would be the point of it? Just because he was always hurt no one likes him. I honestly think he has the talent to be a decent player, if he wasn't so injury prone and our line was better at the time he played. We don't need to waste time looking for another THIRD STRING when we have bigger problems.

Bike
02-25-2009, 07:41 PM
He has one year left on his contract. He isn't a waste. Getting rid of him would mean we would need to sign another. What would be the point of it? Just because he was always hurt no one likes him. I honestly think he has the talent to be a decent player, if he wasn't so injury prone and our line was better at the time he played. We don't need to waste time looking for another THIRD STRING when we have bigger problems.
No. We have Thig, Gray, and just signed Martin. Croyle been here 3 years and has yet to win a freakin' game!!!
OUT.

KristofLaw
02-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Agreed, particularly in the injury department. Something needs to be done about our medical staff even if it involves hiring some voodoo doctor to guard against the evil eye.

marloweopatchiefs
02-25-2009, 07:47 PM
not just damon huard to the person who made the huard being released thread.

marloweopatchiefs
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
donnie edwards and patrick surtain were also cut.

marloweopatchiefs
02-25-2009, 07:50 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs terminated Damon Huards contract on Tuesday. Could this mean KC will go after a Rookie QB with their#3 pick? Time will tell as FA pans out and men begin to move around the league.
Also Donnie Edwards had his contract terminated.

i guess i'm annoyed by this thread lol. If your gonna report who gets cut at least get all the people in there. Patrick surtain also got cut along with edwards and huard! as i said before

Bike
02-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the update.

Coach
02-25-2009, 07:53 PM
How many of these threads do we need? This was yesterday's news.

Bike
02-25-2009, 07:55 PM
How many of these threads do we need? This was yesterday's news.
I'm glad everybodys' on top of the latest (yesterday!) news....

marloweopatchiefs
02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
didnt have surtain in there..maybe yesterday but it was not posted about surtain! so i decided to post

marloweopatchiefs
02-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the update.
no problem dude!

Coach
02-25-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm going to merge all of the threads together.

marloweopatchiefs
02-25-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm going to merge all of the threads together.

haha i'm sorry i just wanted to make srue all the guys were posted that were cut. not just two out of the three. im sure most people here already knew about it yesterday but i wasn't on here yesterday.

Coach
02-25-2009, 08:21 PM
haha i'm sorry i just wanted to make srue all the guys were posted that were cut. not just two out of the three. im sure most people here already knew about it yesterday but i wasn't on here yesterday.

No problem. I should have merged them earlier.

Pro_Angler
02-25-2009, 09:08 PM
I'll be sad to see edwards gone..

Xeticus
02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
As your resident lurking Phins fan I was really interested in this post. Surtain used to be a great DB here in miami. I was sorry to see him go. I'm glad he had a good run with the chiefs. Huard always puzzled me. I never understood why teams chased him. On his best day he was average. I watched him play for a few years down here and "meh." Work ethic and character wise he was great but he just didn't have the talent to play at a high level in the nfl. The chiefs can and will do better at QB.

yashi
02-27-2009, 10:36 AM
As your resident lurking Phins fan I was really interested in this post. Surtain used to be a great DB here in miami. I was sorry to see him go. I'm glad he had a good run with the chiefs. Huard always puzzled me. I never understood why teams chased him. On his best day he was average. I watched him play for a few years down here and "meh." Work ethic and character wise he was great but he just didn't have the talent to play at a high level in the nfl. The chiefs can and will do better at QB.
The Sam Madison/Patrick Surtain show was lethal! Unfortunately he was never quite that great here for one reason or another. He was not bad though.

hardcorechiefsfan
02-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm going to miss Surtain.