PDA

View Full Version : Cassel to Bucs

texaschief
02-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Can't find a link, but apparently, a local station in Tampa is breaking the news.

At least we're not giving up any picks for him.

Bike
02-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Looks like Tom Terrific must be getting healthier by the day. He just got married today in LA. He'll need to support his model wife and will be the Pats QB opening day... JMHO.

Sn@keIze
02-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Did the Bucs give up two 1st round pics for him?

warcrychief
02-27-2009, 07:33 PM
havent seen anything yet on Cassell but here is who they have traded for

Buccaneers | Winslow acquired
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:24:00 -0800
Adam Schefter, of the NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl) Network, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://www.kffl.com/team/35/nfl) have acquired TE Kellen Winslow (http://www.kffl.com/player/9286/nfl) from the Cleveland Browns (http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl) for undisclosed draft picks.

www.kffl.com (http://www.kffl.com)

Coach
02-27-2009, 07:45 PM
One of the few players today that I'm glad the Chiefs didn't get.

chiefnut
02-27-2009, 07:50 PM
just got off espn site...no mention of it

jmlamerson
02-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Can't find a link, but apparently, a local station in Tampa is breaking the news.

You sure you didn't hear Winslow, not Cassel?

pbatrucker
02-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I saw it on the ribbon on espn, Tampa got Winslow and cassel

honda522
02-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Good, I like Thiggy where he is.

Barnett89
02-27-2009, 08:28 PM
So much for Tampa giving McCown a possible shot if this is true. It'll be interesting to see what they've given up for him if they really have made the deal.

N TX Dave
02-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Not a mention of it on TB or NEP web sites.

Bike
02-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Looks like franchising Cassel will pay BIG for Belicheck..

Barnett89
02-27-2009, 08:39 PM
And to think if Brady had not got injured and missed all last season, he'd be going for probably nothing right about now.

hometeam
02-27-2009, 08:41 PM
If this is true, TB wont pay the two 1st round by tendering him, they will work out a less trade with the pats, but still probabaly give too much for him~

Hayvern
02-27-2009, 09:21 PM
BREAKING NEWS : Tampa Bay TV Station FOX 13 is reporting BUCS are finalizing contract extention talks with MATT CASSEL . BUCS and PATS have agreed on DEAL pending CASSEL CONTRACT SIGNING ( 4 years -29.5 million plus performance incentives ) . Buc 's official confirms deal is for Buc's 2009 1st round selection ( 19th overall ) and 2010 conditional 2nd rounder.

I cannot find that on the Tampa Fox 13 site though.

Bike
02-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Cassel is a very rich man. He could go to Disneyland everyday if he wanted to...

pbatrucker
02-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Espn.com reports brown signed with the Rams for about 7 mil a year. They also said the Scott deal with the Jets might have problems. Looks like Lewis is staying with the Ravens, seems nobody came knocking on his door for his services.

Barnett89
02-27-2009, 09:46 PM
If i were Matt Cassell, i'd be phoning Tom Brady right about now and telling him thank you very much for letting me play all last season.

Bike
02-27-2009, 09:51 PM
If i were Matt Cassell, i'd be phoning Tom Brady right about now and telling him thank you very much for letting me play all last season.
If I was Cassel I would be thanking Pollard!!!:bananen_smilies046:

KristofLaw
02-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Look at the brilliance coming out of the New England Patiots, and it's a part of our Chiefs organization now.

They got great market value on a QB who basically made his name off of 1 season. All the best to him with T-Bay but I think it was the situation... gimme Randy Moss and Wes Welker and I'll show some offence.

On that note I hope Garcia comes our way...

warcrychief
02-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Look at the brilliance coming out of the New England Patiots, and it's a part of our Chiefs organization now.

They got great market value on a QB who basically made his name off of 1 season. All the best to him with T-Bay but I think it was the situation... gimme Randy Moss and Wes Welker and I'll show some offence.

On that note I hope Garcia comes our way...

We already have a Garcia in Thigpen. Why would we want him?

KristofLaw
02-27-2009, 10:09 PM
We already have a Garcia in Thigpen. Why would we want him?
When didn't he win games?

warcrychief
02-27-2009, 10:16 PM
When didn't he win games?

Sure he has won games, but, is he going to be our long term answer at QB? i not to sold Thigpen being our answer as well.

DT14PRIEST
02-27-2009, 10:21 PM
I still havent seen anything official on this

someone have a link somewhere? I dont even see it on ESPN

KristofLaw
02-27-2009, 10:21 PM
He would be an answer to the depth situation... let them fight it out but he does a have championships behind him.

I'm talking CFL, hated him here but I love
the guys winning attitude.

KristofLaw
02-27-2009, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't say he's the guy, but he wins
Jeff Garcia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Garcia)

Canada
02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Cassel is a very rich man. He could go to Disneyland everyday if he wanted to...

Isn't the Bucs spring training at Disneyland?

KristofLaw
02-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Don't get off the topic, cmon Canada you can vouch that a$$ wins??!?!

AkChief49
02-27-2009, 11:18 PM

I really hope this is true! There was speculation on PFT that the Vrabel deal might include Cassell and our 1st pick. Please let this be true!

Big Daddy Tek
02-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Sorry Tex. The report is not true. Cassell is not a Buc. I have a decent inside track on this one.

Hayvern
02-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Sorry Tex. The report is not true. Cassell is not a Buc. I have a decent inside track on this one.

The second cousin of you first wife's sister's old boyfriend twice removed?

greg3564
02-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Jeff Garcia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Garcia)

Why in the hell would we want to bring in a 39 year old QB? I could see if that was the one piece missing in a playoff caliber team. But we're not a playoff caliber team(yet) and we don't need his services. That guy has, at best, one season left. Personally, I think he's completely overrated.

Canada
02-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Don't get off the topic, cmon Canada you can vouch that a$$ wins??!?!
:lol: :funnypost: :beer:

Guru
02-28-2009, 01:55 AM
:bananen_smilies046:

Hayvern
02-28-2009, 02:58 AM

No more San Francisco reject QBs, we have plenty of those through the years!

hermhater
02-28-2009, 02:59 AM
Hayvern!!!!

:yahoo:

:welcome:

:beer:

Hayvern
02-28-2009, 03:48 AM
Hayvern!!!!

:yahoo:

:welcome:

:beer:

Glad to see you back!

JMDChiefs58
02-28-2009, 08:33 AM
No deal has been made to send Cassel to the Buc's.

jerhart
02-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Matt Cassel Trade Rumors Still Out*There - Buc 'Em (http://www.bucem.com/2009/2/28/775220/matt-cassel-trade-rumors-s)

Matt Cassel Trade Rumors Still Out There
by The Bull Gator on Feb 28, 2009 8:05 AM EST in News 1 comment
This time of year, rumors pop up from all over the place. Realistically we could even start them here and site "sources" and probably get away with it (we wouldn't do that though). But some keep coming around again and now that the Bucs have lost out on Albert Haynesworth, they may be making a push for another big name.

The rumors are that the Bucs could be testing the water and seeing what the New England Patriots might realistically want for Matt Cassel. Tampa Bay could sign him, but if the Pats didn't match, the Bucs would be required to give up two 1st-round picks - something many of us won't be happy with. However, the cost to acquire the quarterback might not be as much as we think. New England may only be looking for a 1st-round and a 4th-round pick.

What do you think? Is Cassel even worth that much? Should the Bucs give up anything for a quarterback with only one real year of experience?

chiefnut
02-28-2009, 09:04 AM
just checke espn again, still no mention of this, still have him as a patriot

jerhart
02-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Again, the word rumor is very Bold in this article and I seriously doubt the Bucs are so hard up for a QB they will give up a first rounder, I doubt any team would give that up for Cassell as he is a no name QB with no experience IMO and in this thread that is all we are discussing is our own oppinions as it isn't even fact that he is going to the Bucs.

...was just showing that the rumor did not stem from our forum...that there IS a RUMOR out there about this matter. Whether it ends up true or not...eh...don't really care. Just posting a link to give this discussion a bit more substance.

ultimatepatsfan
02-28-2009, 09:20 AM
...was just showing that the rumor did not stem from our forum...that there IS a RUMOR out there about this matter. Whether it ends up true or not...eh...don't really care. Just posting a link to give this discussion a bit more substance.

Thought I'd shed some light on this as a Pats fan as we got duped several times by this too.

This rumor started with some guy posting in Adam Shefter's blog under a similar username to the man himself. It wasn't reported by a station there and the website had no mention of it.

ANYTHING could be true, but this rumor apparently came from nowhere.

ultimatepatsfan
02-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Hey Pats fan, thanks for shedding some light on where this BS rumor started. I never could figure out why anyone would do something like this. Reminds me of the KC Star LMAO!!!!

The mods on our forums were deleting posts about it all day and finally just settled with merging topics.

Hope you guys don't mind some Pats fans peeking in time-to-time. Have a hunch I'm not the only Pioli fan that is going to follow you guys to see how 50% of our brain trust does on his own.

As for Vrabel, we're all kinda assuming it's going to be a low round pick (probably a 4th or conditional 5th) OR it's part of a Cassell deal. We're going to miss him BADLY. He does still have gas in the tank, although he did slow down a touch last season. Either way, he'll bring some experience to the table you guys are going to need. Our team has a tendancy to dump guys about a year or two before they're done while they still have value. Once you've adopted the system for a couple of years you'll go through those heartbreaks too. (They always turn out okay even though we say "we're doomed" every year for some idiotic reason.)

Give Pioli and Co. some time. You're in MUCH better hands than before.

Good luck except when you play us!

Edit: By the way-- any talk of Gonzalez being part of trade talks involving Cassel/Vrabel/Pats in the media there?

SDChief09
02-28-2009, 11:48 AM
If TG is playing one more year, and he wants out...why not move him...even a 3rd round pick provides the room to go nab a center with one of the two picks in the 3rd...like last year when extra picks allowed us to go dorsey then albert...which I still feel was the best move at the time regardless of outcome.

chiefnut
02-28-2009, 12:56 PM
oh crap, i really hope we don't look back on this day as one of our big blunders. i am not convinced he is the next tom brady, not enuf track record, and we probably gave up way to much when we need so much. only time will tell.

imcorrect
02-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Tampa Tribune is reporting on this. They basically admit it is a rumor with no reliable source.

Bucs Report - Tools - from TBO.com Blogs (http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/story/matt-cassel-to-buccaneers-rumor-is-out-there)/

imcorrect
02-28-2009, 01:07 PM
oh crap, i really hope we don't look back on this day as one of our big blunders. i am not convinced he is the next tom brady, not enuf track record, and we probably gave up way to much when we need so much. only time will tell.

Where was it announced?

chiefnut
02-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Where was it announced?
on espn, said it just happened, still working out the details but it is a done deal

jap1
02-28-2009, 01:46 PM
To UltimatePatsFan.

Welcome. :bananen_smilies046:

Havent heard of any TG rumors yet. But there is very little info coming out of arrowhead anymore.

Hayvern
02-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I have a friend that is a die hard Patriots fan and he is livid over this deal, so it seems to me it might be a good one. I am hoping Thiggy gets a shot at starter, but I am thinking that is highly doubtful now.

hermhater
02-28-2009, 02:36 PM
I have a friend that is a die hard Patriots fan and he is livid over this deal, so it seems to me it might be a good one. I am hoping Thiggy gets a shot at starter, but I am thinking that is highly doubtful now.

:11:

Coach
02-28-2009, 02:39 PM
I guess this thread is dead.

Chief Tyler
02-28-2009, 02:41 PM
You should sticky it for kicks and giggles Coach.:lol:

Bike
02-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Now he can in person!!:beer:

Canada
03-01-2009, 09:15 AM

Yeah, thank god for that!! :D

rammstein
03-01-2009, 01:08 PM
I've heard speculation that cassel and another player could be packaged for picks to the Bucs!

josh1971
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
I've heard speculation that cassel and another player could be packaged for picks to the Bucs!

I really don't think we're going to send Cassel anywhere- with as familiar as Pioli is with him, I'm thinking they went after him because they wanted a franchise QB.

Hunt even said they were going to bring a QB, in the same interview where he said we weren't going to storm out of the gate and buy up a bunch of big name free agents.

I think you'll see Cassel in red and gold next year.

jb

SDChief09
03-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Cassel is a chief, for a while..period

KristofLaw
03-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Any Buc fans that poke in here I just want you to know this is false. :welcome::sign0153::iamwithstupid:

Pro_Angler
03-01-2009, 09:13 PM
wow all this Cassell talk what about Thig??? he did just as good last year as cassell .

jmlamerson
03-01-2009, 09:17 PM
wow all this Cassell talk what about Thig??? he did just as good last year as cassell .

In no way, shape, or form did Thigpen do better than Cassel. Cassel had more TDs, yards, and wins, a better passer rating, and a better completion %.

AussieChiefsFan
03-01-2009, 09:56 PM

In no way, shape, or form did Thigpen do better than Cassel. Cassel had more TDs, yards, and wins, a better passer rating, and a better completion %.I also agree that cassel did better than thig. therefore should give him the upper hand and give him a go.

yashi
03-01-2009, 10:06 PM
The most important stat for a QB not taking into account turnovers (or wins) is yards per attempt, and Cassel was a full yard ahead of Thigpen (7.2 to 6.2). Thigpen's biggest problem was that he'd make a few good plays, and then throw 3 straight incompletions. That ends drives.

prough91
03-02-2009, 12:02 PM
In no way, shape, or form did Thigpen do better than Cassel. Cassel had more TDs, yards, and wins, a better passer rating, and a better completion %.

And on a really good all-around team like Thigy did.

Canada
03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
And on a really good all-around team like Thigy did.http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/03/10.jpg

prough91
03-02-2009, 12:31 PM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/03/10.jpg

Cassell might suck on oranges.

Canada
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
:marchmellow:

yashi
03-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Lets do a history thing here, back in the80's we had a QB named Bill Kenny, he threw for over 5,000 yrds and actually came in second to Dan Fouts in total passing yards for that year. With a QB that could toss for that many yards it was crazy that the Chiefs couldn't getin the playoffs. Now back to the future, Tyler did great , here are his 2008 stats,
--
Tyler Thigpen (http://www.nfl.com/players/tylerthigpen/profile?id=THI677677) 420att 230 Comp| 2608yds| 54.8%
Here are Cassells Stats,
--
Matt Cassel (http://www.nfl.com/players/mattcassel/profile?id=CAS541133) 516 att 327 comp| 3693 yds| 63.4 %
Keep in mind that yes Matt may have had some big name stars on his Offense Tyler didn't have but DBowe isn't anything to laugh at and neither is Tony G.
My point is this, when Matt gets paid $14.6 million of KC money , do you really want to do that with him riding the bench even if Tyler were to beat Cassell out in a competitive controversial situation that could be very bad for the Chiefs? I know that is the absolute worst thing that could happen to us. Everyone will cry foul but bottom line is this , Cassell is our QB.

Yards per pass attempt, 7.2 to 6.2 in favor of Cassel, which was just 0.1 behind Cutler. Enough said, Cassel had a better season. It's not just the weapons, and besides... Cassel didn't use Moss like Brady does.

Thigpen had weapons too. TG, Bowe, Bradley was good when he was healthy, Charles made plays.

I watched the Pats Jets week 11 game yesterday in its entirety. Jabar Gaffney was dropping Cassel passes left and right.

hardcorechiefsfan
03-02-2009, 02:50 PM
:yahoo:Yeah, we got Cassel! :yahoo:Uh huh, we got Cassel.
:yahoo:Yessiree, we got him.....:yahoo:

yashi
03-03-2009, 09:11 AM
The main point I believe is the difference in both men is this, Cassell made the right decision to throw the ball to the right man more often than Thigpen. Cassell also threw less int's which boils down to accuracy and choosing the right target to throw at. Cassel is the better QB no matter what team they both play on , we should feel good that we have both me on the Chiefs.
I'm a big fan of both guys! I think we're in a perfect situation at QB. Two guys who both were very good last season, both young, and both have a ton of potential to be even better. Unfortunately, Thigpen's contract is up next season, and I can't see him re-signing unless no starting opportunities come up with any other franchises.

Bike
03-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Don't worry yourself to death over the prospect of Thiggy signing a Franchise type contract with another team based on what he did last season. The team only had 2 wins and we only got those because our running game was working correctly both games. Thig is a second teamer at best and the direction KC is going I expect Pioli to atleast entertain him with some type of raise in his contract to keep him as such.
You kinda just made my point. Put Thig in Boston and his stats are dramatically different (better).
Remember Cassel was a 2nd teamer until he was given the chance. Thigs chance was soured on a team with no defense, an inept HC, and a broken down OL and RB...

Bike
03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Your point is made out of could of's and maybe's. My point is fact and that is how I roll most of the time. It is nice to dream but in this case I don't see the point in wondering what might have happened. Cassell lead his team to the 11 - 5 record and Thigpen to a 2 - 14 record. It's easy to blame it on the Defense but why not say Thigpen could have thrown a few less dropped or intercepted balls. We won't even do that the fact is Cassell is a winning QB in most peoples eyes and Thigpen isn't . Cassell was #2 to a 3 time Superbowl winning QB in Brady, Thigpen was a 3rd stringer behind Croyle who has never won a game and Huard who is now gone. I see no reason to debate this any further these are my closing statements, say what you will.
You are trying to compare these 2 qbs based on stats, where I am comparing them based on the environment they were placed in. Thats the way I roll. At any rate we will have to disagree and hopefully we can agree that the Chiefs now have 2 excellent qbs to build on...

Canada
03-03-2009, 01:03 PM
:439:I roll with white zig zags!!

chief31
03-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Your point is made out of could of's and maybe's. My point is fact and that is how I roll most of the time. It is nice to dream but in this case I don't see the point in wondering what might have happened. Cassell lead his team to the 11 - 5 record and Thigpen to a 2 - 14 record. It's easy to blame it on the Defense but why not say Thigpen could have thrown a few less dropped or intercepted balls. We won't even do that the fact is Cassell is a winning QB in most peoples eyes and Thigpen isn't . Cassell was #2 to a 3 time Superbowl winning QB in Brady, Thigpen was a 3rd stringer behind Croyle who has never won a game and Huard who is now gone. I see no reason to debate this any further these are my closing statements, say what you will.

Well, if you want some facts....

Cassel took a team that had been 19-1 over their last twenty games, to 10-5.

Thigpen took a team that had been 1-14 in their last 15 games to 1-9.

So, basically, Cassel took a team that couldn't lose, and managed to lose some. While Thigpen took a team that couldn't win, and managed to do about the same. (A smig better.)

Unlike baseball, where a guy hits home runs by his own accord, TDs in football are based on the blocking, pass catching and play-calling around you.

So a QB is not nearly as responsible for his numbers as a batter is in baseball.

SDChief09
03-03-2009, 01:40 PM
If you want to look at the environment...how about the snow game he threw for 400 yards in?

what about DOMINATING the AFC West, who he will face 6 times a year...

I think its a big test this season, I like Thiggy, but hes just not accurate on the deep ball, whereas Cassel can throw it on a rope 60 yards to a guy running FULL SPEED not stopping for 3 seconds to wait for the ball.

But check the schedule, Thigpen last season faced a lot of weak defenses, and only showed up in the first half, this season, Cassel or Thiggy will be facing probably the toughest schedule the chiefs have had in years.

I think there was no press conference to keep the photo op's down...The schedule sets up either to fail unless KC decides to fix the right side of their line.

marloweopatchiefs
03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
well i was a thiggpy supporter so i guess we shall see what happens

chief31
03-03-2009, 01:55 PM
If you want to look at the environment...how about the snow game he threw for 400 yards in?

what about DOMINATING the AFC West, who he will face 6 times a year...

I think its a big test this season, I like Thiggy, but hes just not accurate on the deep ball, whereas Cassel can throw it on a rope 60 yards to a guy running FULL SPEED not stopping for 3 seconds to wait for the ball.

But check the schedule, Thigpen last season faced a lot of weak defenses, and only showed up in the first half, this season, Cassel or Thiggy will be facing probably the toughest schedule the chiefs have had in years.

I think there was no press conference to keep the photo op's down...The schedule sets up either to fail unless KC decides to fix the right side of their line.

I agree whole-heartedly about fixing the o-line.

But I think it is a whole lot easier to shine on a team that made it to the Super Bowl at 18-0 than it is with a team that couldn't win if the other team stayed in the locker room.

Chief Tyler
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
I agree whole-heartedly about fixing the o-line.

But I think it is a whole lot easier to shine on a team that made it to the Super Bowl at 18-0 than it is with a team that couldn't win if the other team stayed in the locker room.

Hey now, we're not the Lions.

chief31
03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey now, we're not the Lions.

We were the closest thing to them. :D

Sad, but true.

chief31
03-03-2009, 05:01 PM
OK, you can make your statements anyway you wish as long as your not attempting to make a living at it on National TV because if you tried to do it that way the credible analysts wouldmake you look silly in from of 6 million people that just happen to be watching. Your safe here and we can just laugh about it but the facts are the facts and all credible analysts go by the numbers because that is the real deal. Nothing fake about it at all. As for comparing football to baseball, I haven't fallen asleep during one football game in my entire life as baseball makes me so tired I turn it off.(BORING):bananen_smilies046:

You must be kidding.

Individual statistics in football don't mean alot. And for every "credible" analyst that you find who disagrees with that, there are four of them who will agree.

And I am unimpressed with your guess that someone else could make me look silly.

Hell. I can do that, easy. :lol:

But, if stats mean so much, then tell me which QB was the real Brett Favre...

56%, 3,885 Yards, 18 TDs, 18 Ints, 72.7 QB Rating

or...

64.1%, 4,088 Yards, 30 TDs, 17 Ints, 92.4 QB Rating

?

There really is no "Credible" analyst who won't admit that QBs depend on the rest of their team to help accumulate wins and individual statistics.

Not one.

Actually I believe there was one team ahead of us in that race, StLouis Rams have the second pick ;)

(2-14) = (2-14)

Not that it matters.

chief31
03-04-2009, 05:22 AM
Forget the debate man, if stats don't mean anything then why keep them?

Somehow, I just knew this was coming. Lol.

I say that stats don't mean everything. And all of sudden, you are asking me why I say they mean nothing.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?