PDA

View Full Version : If I were a bettin man..

texaschief
03-01-2009, 02:34 AM
I'd say Crennel is going to be our DC. If we're flippin over to the 3-4, there are few guys in this league I'd rather have in charge of the defense. Rex Ryan would probably be the only guy I'd want more than Crennel. If this DOES happen, other than Gailey, this would be THE ONLY OTHER COACH on staff I'd consider a good hire. Every other coach Haley has hired thus far have been mediocre hires AT BEST.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/02/nfl_insider_what_recession_bro.html

Waiting on Romeo: Former Browns coach Romeo Crennel is convalescing from successful hip replacement surgery and weighing an offer to become the defensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs.
The Chiefs are holding the position open for Crennel, who is waiting to learn exactly how long his rehabilitation process will keep him out. The Chiefs may have enticed Crennel a little bit more by trading for New England linebacker Mike Vrabel.

Whether or not Crennel accepts, he has decided not to remain with the Browns in an unspecified role offered by Mangini.

Crennel previously declined an offer to rejoin Charlie Weis as Notre Dame's defensive coordinator. Crennel and Weis were Belichick's coordinators during New England's three Super Bowl championship seasons.

AkChief49
03-01-2009, 08:19 AM
romeo, romeo where fore art thou romeo?

Coach
03-01-2009, 10:20 AM
I've been hoping this for awhile. He could be a great tool if we transitioning to 3-4.

I didn't realize that they had offered him the job though. And I agree with the article that the job became a little easier and a lot more desirable with Mike Vrabel on the roster. Let's hope Crennel has a speedy recovery.

Canada
03-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Even if his recovery is slow, maybe Chiefster will lend him his hoverround for a while!!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/03/1.jpg

imcorrect
03-01-2009, 10:40 AM
We need to get this done soon. The fact that we don't have a DC can't help us in free agency. I don't agree that our other hires were mediocre. Gibbs & Pendergast would be mediocre at DC, but I think they are good position coaches.

yashi
03-01-2009, 10:41 AM
As usual, my theories prove true. They should really just go ahead and give me Chris Mortensen's job. I'm better at it than he is. :D

wubfree
03-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Romeo is far from a proven winner. In fact, he's a loser that lost his job. AND we already hired two guys that could become our DC. Why is Romeo a must have? I think we just need to stockpile ballers to play on the field. In fact, is there really such a thing as a defensive genius? I think defense is more about talent and attitude.

yashi
03-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Romeo is far from a proven winner. In fact, he's a loser that lost his job. AND we already hired two guys that could become our DC. Why is Romeo a must have? I think we just need to stockpile ballers to play on the field. In fact, is there really such a thing as a defensive genius? I think defense is more about talent and attitude.
Would you rather have a guy whose defense has been last in the league the past 2 seasons (Gibbs) as DC?

DT14PRIEST
03-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Its not his HC ability but his DC experience that lead to his hiring as a HC. From 2001-2003 NE had one of the most dominant defenses in the league

wubfree
03-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Pats D didn't lose much when he left from what I can tell. Gunther was supposed to save our D too but without players (DT, Neil Smith, and last year giving up J Allen) it doesn't matter.

DT14PRIEST
03-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Pats D didn't lose much when he left from what I can tell. Gunther was supposed to save our D too but without players (DT, Neil Smith, and last year giving up J Allen) it doesn't matter.

You have to figure that someone has to teach those players what scheme they're playing. Yea talent is important but so is the scheme in which that talent flourishes. D-Coords. do have more to do with the play to play defense then you might think

Gunther failed because his philosiphy and Herm Edwards didn't mesh. Gunther was a pressure 4-3 blitz guy and Edwards was a Tampa 2 sit back on your heals and lets get run over and hope we win kind of guy. SO you saddle two guys with different schemes together and you get jack in return and no development with any of the youth talent the Chiefs had.

EDIT: Not that I support Gunther, he would have most likely failed with his defense I think as well and still be gone at the end of the season but just saying.

wubfree
03-01-2009, 01:20 PM
why do u think Pendergast was so eager to take a demotion?

DT14PRIEST
03-01-2009, 01:24 PM
why do u think Pendergast was so eager to take a demotion?

Cause he was fired?

wubfree
03-01-2009, 03:14 PM
good point. I do worry about our defense.

Pro_Angler
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
texaschief I would have to agree with you, those 2 would be our bet fit.

HokieChief 09
03-01-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't know how you could say Crennel would be a 'great' hire, but I think he would help transition our defense to a 3-4. Gibbs and Pendergast were good hires, but not if we made one of them our DC. I like them as position coaches though.. And yes, we need a defensive coordinator, and fast. If Crennel isn't available before the draft, then screw it. But otherwise, we need to make a decision soon.

DT14PRIEST
03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
OFF TOPIC

Ronnie Bradford is another new coach added to the Chiefs staff.

Former Bronco's SPecial Teams Coach now Chiefs assistant Defensive Backs coach.

Not huge news but news none the less.

Chiefster
03-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Even if his recovery is slow, maybe Chiefster will lend him his hoverround for a while!!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/03/1.jpg

He can get his own Hoverround! :11:

KottkeKU
03-03-2009, 02:32 AM
i dont think pendergast is THAT bad....considering the talent he had to work with in Arizona....the strength of that team was built around the offense and passing game...i would certainly feel WAY more comfortable with Pendergast at the helm of the defense rather than a head coach or gunther friggin cunningham...

Romeo on the other hand i think is a fine DC....less than average HC....but he would be great i think...

Gibbs though i just dont want to see on the staff...even at LB coach...hopefully he proves me wrong, he did make Fujita a pretty solid LB....