PDA

View Full Version : Outlook on 2009 AFC West?

HokieChief 09
03-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Ok, last year the winner of the AFC West came down to the last game of the season(San Diego vs. Denver), and the winner finished 8-8. So far, San Diego hasn't done a whole lot to improve their team, though it is early so far. We took a huge step in getting Vrabel and Cassel, and we have the #3 pick, with 50mil in cap space. I like our odds of improving our team a lot more than we already have this offseason.

We have a young team with loads of potential, our defense will be adjusting after switching to a 3-4 style D. Cassel needs some beef in front of him on this offensive line before we can be effective on the ground and through the air. I think we are going to go O-Line now with this #3 pick(but I still think we should go Curry). If we can pick up some odds and ends via free agency in the next month or so, I think it could help immensely.

I don't think we are going to win the division this season(but I guess it's not out of the question). If I had to be realistic about this upcoming season, and assuming all four teams continue to improve this offseason, I think we'll finish 3rd. I think San Diego is still the best team in this division. Denver is also being very active so far this offseason in signing Brian Dawkins, getting Andra Davis, and Correll Buckhalter. We just acquired Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel via the new New England-Kansas City connection. Oakland hasn't done much so far, but I could see Darren McFadden and JaMarcus Russell emerging as great players next season. It's still early, but this is making out to be probably the most competitive division next season. :toast2:

1. San Diego (11-5)
2. Denver (10-6)
3. Kansas City (8-8)
4. Oakland (6-10)

Just wanted to get some spectulation on next season, even though it still is early and we haven't gotten to the draft just yet. But anywho, thoughts?

Pro_Angler
03-01-2009, 09:10 PM
I agree and must say that for the $$$$ Curry will be the best pick at #3 if he is still there.

jmlamerson
03-01-2009, 09:15 PM
WAAAAYYYYYYY too early for this thread. Let's wait until the draft at least!

EDIT: Although I'm guessing 5-11 for the Donks.

Pro_Angler
03-01-2009, 09:21 PM
WAAAAYYYYYYY too early for this thread. Let's wait until the draft at least!

EDIT: Although I'm guessing 5-11 for the Donks.

LOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLL

HokieChief 09
03-01-2009, 09:23 PM
It's never too early to speculate, but yea I think Curry is the best value at the #3 spot.

warcrychief
03-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Ok, last year the winner of the AFC West came down to the last game of the season(San Diego vs. Denver), and the winner finished 8-8. So far, San Diego hasn't done a whole lot to improve their team, though it is early so far. We took a huge step in getting Vrabel and Cassel, and we have the #3 pick, with 50mil in cap space. I like our odds of improving our team a lot more than we already have this offseason.

We have a young team with loads of potential, our defense will be adjusting after switching to a 3-4 style D. Cassel needs some beef in front of him on this offensive line before we can be effective on the ground and through the air. I think we are going to go O-Line now with this #3 pick(but I still think we should go Curry). If we can pick up some odds and ends via free agency in the next month or so, I think it could help immensely.

I don't think we are going to win the division this season(but I guess it's not out of the question). If I had to be realistic about this upcoming season, and assuming all four teams continue to improve this offseason, I think we'll finish 3rd. I think San Diego is still the best team in this division. Denver is also being very active so far this offseason in signing Brian Dawkins, getting Andra Davis, and Correll Buckhalter. We just acquired Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel via the new New England-Kansas City connection. Oakland hasn't done much so far, but I could see Darren McFadden and JaMarcus Russell emerging as great players next season. It's still early, but this is making out to be probably the most competitive division next season. :toast2:

1. San Diego (11-5)
2. Denver (10-6)
3. Kansas City (8-8)
4. Oakland (6-10)

Just wanted to get some spectulation on next season, even though it still is early and we haven't gotten to the draft just yet. But anywho, thoughts?

2 winning records, from what we just produced last year against weaker divisions. No way. We have to play against the NFC East, and AFC North. Last year we played NFC South, and AFC East. If we have someone with a winning record in our division next year, that would be quite a feat. Nice excitement from ya though :bananen_smilies046:

honda522
03-02-2009, 12:37 AM
No way Denver goes 10-6

SD (11-5)
KC(9-7)
Den(7-9)
Oak(4-12)

AkChief49
03-02-2009, 12:54 AM
why is SD the best in this division? LT has lost a step Sproles will not carry them. Maybe we can get Igor from them. Heck we almost(I know, it does not count) beat them twice ending up losing by a point in both games. The Donks are going to be in turmoil(after the Cutler trade fiasco-probably planned by Pioli and Belichick)and the Faders......enough said. Until I'm proven wrong....WE win the division!(the power of positive thinking)

hardcorechiefsfan
03-03-2009, 05:12 AM
why is SD the best in this division? LT has lost a step Sproles will not carry them. Maybe we can get Igor from them. Heck we almost(I know, it does not count) beat them twice ending up losing by a point in both games. The Donks are going to be in turmoil(after the Cutler trade fiasco-probably planned by Pioli and Belichick)and the Faders......enough said. Until I'm proven wrong....WE win the division!(the power of positive thinking)
Amen!

tornadospotter
03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I personally think that we will be undefeated until we lose.:D

Chiefs will win the AFC West.
Homer am I.:yahoo:

balto
03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Man guys I honestly think its gonna be another hard year for us. I mean our schedule is sooo much harder then last, but lets take a look.

(We do not know the order yet)

Raiders: 2-0
Chargers: 1-1
Denver: 1-1
Cinnzy: 1-0
Ravens: 0-1
Red Skins: 1-0
Philly: 0-1
Giants: 0-1
Dallas: 0-1
Steelers: 0-1
Browns: 1-0
Jags: 0-1
Bills: 1-0

SO being pretty generous we go (8-8). This coudl win our division sooo who knows hehehe