PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Thig or cassell

Pro_Angler
03-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Hey guy's who would you rather be the starter next year?? Thig or casell

PawnshopMarimba
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I vote neither: Wait and see who plays better.

honda522
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Voted Thigpen. But really I dont mind if Cassel starts. I think there should be a competition. It seems only fair.

I actaully encourage a competition. May the best man win.

AussieChiefsFan
03-01-2009, 09:08 PM
i voted cassel. i think he's a fresh start for us!

Pro_Angler
03-01-2009, 09:20 PM
i voted cassel. i think he's a fresh start for us!

And Thig isn't??? I voted Thig but open to cassel..

HokieChief 09
03-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I voted Cassel, I think he's the better of the two. But I wouldn't rule out an open competition for the starter.

AussieChiefsFan
03-01-2009, 09:28 PM
And Thig isn't??? I voted Thig but open to cassel..well, cassel is one of the best so i think we should see how he goes first.

PawnshopMarimba
03-01-2009, 09:37 PM
well, cassel is one of the best so i think we should see how he goes first.

You really can't say MUCH about either one of them. Last year was both Cassel and Thigpen's first chance to shine and they both played pretty well.

Cassel might have produced more wins than Thiggy, but Matt also had a superior supporting cast.
Honestly, I feel like the competition for the starting slot could go either way.

At least we have TWO potentially good, young QBs to duke it out over a starting position.

AussieChiefsFan
03-01-2009, 09:39 PM
You really can't say MUCH about either one of them. Last year was both Cassel and Thigpen's first chance to shine and they both played pretty well.

Cassel might have produced more wins than Thiggy, but Matt also had a superior supporting cast.
Honestly, I feel like the competition for the starting slot could go either way.

At least we have TWO potentially good, young QBs to duke it out over a starting position.Come to think of it 'YES'. it could still go either way!

tornadospotter
03-02-2009, 02:40 AM
:11: I vote for fair and open competition's, May be Gray will win, or Ingle, or Croyle. I want Thig to win the job, with Cassel as back up. :11: Thig is a Chief, Cassel will become a Chief. So MC, win the job, do not assume its yours!

PawnshopMarimba
03-02-2009, 02:47 AM
That's the one thing that worries me about this trade. Seems maybe they've already made up their minds about who's going to start. For god's sake, I do NOT want another Rich Gannon debacle.

windwalker
03-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Cassel will probably start... after all, they will be paying him 14 million dollars more than Thigpen

honda522
03-02-2009, 09:54 AM
:11: I vote for fair and open competition's, May be Gray will win, or Ingle, or Croyle. I want Thig to win the job, with Cassel as back up. :11: Thig is a Chief, Cassel will become a Chief. So MC, win the job, do not assume its yours!
I support this post.

Pro_Angler
03-02-2009, 10:19 AM
you guys are some real turn coats aren't you? Thig played great last year..im sorry our defense blew what?? 11 games for us??? Thig could have won every game if not for our defense.

Canada
03-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Didn't you bash our HC for two years? Thig had a pretty good year but that should not exclude him from competing for his job. I am not in favor of naming either guy as a starter until they compete and win the job. The best player should be the Chiefs starter.

honda522
03-02-2009, 10:26 AM
you guys are some real turn coats aren't you? Thig played great last year..im sorry our defense blew what?? 11 games for us??? Thig could have won every game if not for our defense.
This is what I keep try to tell people....in other places. It always comes down to one player is the reason for being 2-14, thigpen.

Never mind we had the worst wanna be championship head coach ever, and a DC who was a fraud. And Recivers who couldn't get open. And RB's that ran straight into their blockers.

How bad was the 3rd down conversion rate for the offense? How bad was it for the defense? I think defensivly it was worse.\

IT WAS 3.

hardcorechiefsfan
03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
With Cassell here, I would like to see Thiggie try to be the starter QB. There are things that each "candidate" did better than the other.
Cassell played pretty darn good for a backup QB in 2008. I admit that his feet didn't quite fill Tom Brady's shoes but he did very well in spite of that.
In 2008 Thiggie only won once but he didn't have anyone to inspire him to do his best or greater - Croyle was broke more than he wasn't, I think Huard won the other win in 2008 but he wasn't very well liked by fans - both QBs didn't do anything to inspire Thiggie.

All in all, I think that they should have a friendly or not so friendly competition and decide who really wants to be a starter QB and who is destined to be "just" a backup QB. I can see both as a starter but can they see that?

Greg_McMillan
03-03-2009, 03:01 AM

I vote Thig

One: Too many good veterans stating Thig better start or their gone. Is it worth the risk? Cassel only looks better because he had an O-line where Thig did not. Take all the close game losses and make them wins and I think the record would be the same as the Cassel - Patriots. Again the difference is the O-line. Remember that Cassel was playing behind the same O-line that Brady was going to play behind (Key Point).

Two: On tape, Is Cassel actually significantly better than Thig?. In my opinion, I don't think so because Thig has shown team coehesion with the current Chief's players and knows what he has to do with the O-line talent that he has around him, which isn't much.

I think Cassel is overated and I feel that Thig will be another result of a Chiefs-Rich Gannon erra. A diamond who gets traded and becomes a MVP of the league for some other team. Chiefs talent blooper 1 O 1

okikcfan
03-03-2009, 03:55 AM
I find it had to believe that the 14 million dollar man will not start. I do not think they would have brought him in and paid that much unless they felt he was the one. Thig will be the back up. The rest of the offense will be built around Cassell. Who knows, Cassell could be the next Brady and Thig could be the next Cassell, one just never knows....

Pro_Angler
03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I say trade Thig then for a 1st and a third pick. Let the man play he deserves that much!!!!!

chief31
03-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I voted for Cassel, because he is going to be forced in as the starter, regardless.

Therefore, I pray that he does well enough to win the job. I have no choice but to hope that they guy we wanted lives up to the expectations.

With Cassel here, and presumably the automatic starter, (Some farce of a QB competition will be announced) I'd rather see us get Thigpen traded away.

We don't need two starting QBs. We do need two starting OTs, OGs, DEs, CBs, Safeties, and four starting LBs.

I prefer to have the players on the field, than the best players on the sideline.

Codac
03-03-2009, 02:51 PM
As much as I like Thigpen to at least start the season because he earned it last year, Pioli brought Cassel in for one reason. To play and to win. It will be a QB controversy only during the offseason. In the end Cassel will get it. But look to the bright side. If Cassel gets hurt we have a heck of a backup.

Three7s
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
You guys are all missing the point. Whether Cassel or Thigpen starts, this is probably the best QB situation we've had in years. Rather than let a kid who's completely unproven win a job over a guy who's getting old or whatever, now we have two young guys who have proven that they can at least PLAY in the NFL competing for a starting QB position. I'm for the guy that does the best job.

Pro_Angler
03-03-2009, 06:04 PM
You guy's this isn't about money kinda question.. Money aside who would you rather have start next year for the chiefs????????

DT14PRIEST
03-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Cassel gets my vote for body of work over the course of one season over Thigpen...money and so forth put aside.

warcrychief
03-03-2009, 07:51 PM
I voted for Cassel, because he is going to be forced in as the starter, regardless.

Therefore, I pray that he does well enough to win the job. I have no choice but to hope that they guy we wanted lives up to the expectations.

With Cassel here, and presumably the automatic starter, (Some farce of a QB competition will be announced) I'd rather see us get Thigpen traded away.

We don't need two starting QBs. We do need two starting OTs, OGs, DEs, CBs, Safeties, and four starting LBs.

I prefer to have the players on the field, than the best players on the sideline.

When are you going to get it thru your head that its better to have 2 QB's than one? Why trade a backup? You want us to keep Brodie "Glass" Croyle backing up Cassell? And Thigpen was a starter because everyone else was broken. This does not make him a starter. He is still looked at by most of the leauge as a backup. The Chiefs havent named him the starter of a season yet. Cassel is also considered the league as a backup until he is a starter for a season. As for your other wants on the team, we do have starters there just not good ones.

warcrychief
03-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah hopefully Haley can make him in to a great QB. All i have seen bad out of him is that he hold the football too long. He can take a hit though. 47 sacks tell me alot about how he is very druable. One more WR hopefully comes out of our crops now. Maybe Franklin can pull out the number 2 if we dont get anyone else.

honda522
03-03-2009, 08:48 PM
We all witnessed what a great QB named Joe Montana can do with a team of half way decent players. We have a comperable team with Tony Gonzales, Larry Johnson, Duane Bowe, Franklin and now new QB Matt Cassell. We need to aquire some people to add to Brian Waters and Albert Brandon so that our new QB has protection. Our Defense isn't quite up to the same level as the team I am refering to but with decent coaching and guidance they will get there.I don't think that we are too far away from having a play off level team. Maybe 2 years.
Who is Albert Brandon? :lol::lol:

chief31
03-04-2009, 05:56 AM
When are you going to get it thru your head that its better to have 2 QB's than one? Why trade a backup? You want us to keep Brodie "Glass" Croyle backing up Cassell? And Thigpen was a starter because everyone else was broken. This does not make him a starter. He is still looked at by most of the leauge as a backup. The Chiefs havent named him the starter of a season yet. Cassel is also considered the league as a backup until he is a starter for a season. As for your other wants on the team, we do have starters there just not good ones.

As soon as you figure out that it is better to have five O-linemen than it is to have two.

In fact, it is better to have four o-linemen, and one QB, than it is to have three o-linemen and two QBs.

The fact is that there really are other players on the field, than the QB.

I know the camera always focuses on the QB. I can understand someone being fooled by that.

The average fan only ever sees the QB, the WRs, the HB and occasionally the TE, because that is where the camera goes during the game.

That's where the ball is at. And it is fun to watch the ball.

But the defense has eleven players without the ball. (Most of the time.) And there is only one player with the ball, at a time, on offense.

Believe it or not, those offensive players that don't have the ball make all the difference in the world.

You certainly wouldn't enjoy the game for very long, if there were eleven defensive players going after the couple of guys who get the ball.

For some reason, you seem to be under the impression that you can just use whatever players noone else really wanted to play the non-ball-carrying positions. As long as we get great ball-carriers.

There is a reason that Brett Favre had some fantastic seasons, and some horrendous ones.

He didn't just amazingly suck some years, and was the king of the world two seasons later.

It's because QB play, more than any other position, in any of the major sports, is dependant on the play of his teammates.

If you take a young Joe Montana and a young Peyton Manning, with no offensive line, I'll show you two lack-luster, very short, careers.

On defense, you have eleven players on the field. On offense, eleven more.

Which position you believe to be more important is irrelevant, as the importance advantage would only be slight, in any direction.

Now, if you have one good player at the position you feel is most important, and three other positions with poor players, and you have a chance to add another good player, what position do you want to add a good player to?

Obviously, as you continue to announce it, you prefer to get another good player to play the position that you already have a good guy at, and ignore the rest. (throw in whatever you can find there.)

This boils down to you wanting your best players on the bench, while I want the best players on the field.

We all witnessed what a great QB named Joe Montana can do with a team of half way decent players. We have a comperable team with Tony Gonzales, Larry Johnson, Duane Bowe, Franklin and now new QB Matt Cassell. We need to aquire some people to add to Brian Waters and Albert Brandon so that our new QB has protection. Our Defense isn't quite up to the same level as the team I am refering to but with decent coaching and guidance they will get there.I don't think that we are too far away from having a play off level team. Maybe 2 years.

When Joe got here, we had one good component of the offense. We had an offensive line. We didn't have any receivers. But we did have a pretty good offensive line.

In the current situation, we have a terrible offensive line.

And...are you really suggesting that Cassel is of the same caliber as Joe Montana?

Talk about your long-shots.

Cassel has played well for one season. Montana had won four Super Bowls, and played for 13 fantastic seasons when he came here.

To say that that comparison is a reach is extremely polite.

jtandcrew
03-04-2009, 08:39 AM
I dont want a 14 mil a year QB holding a clipboard unless he is injured. TBH, I think Cassell coming in to "compete" for a starting job is just being polite to Thigpen. Thig did a good job for us last year with what he had to work with. I think Pioli and Haley already have slated Cassell as starter.

Canada
03-04-2009, 08:42 AM
If Cassel is the starter I want it to be because he is the better QB. If I remember correctly the Fubbalo Bills had Rob Johson as their $14 mil QB and when they took Flutie out and put in Mr. $14 mil. They lost. I don't want a guy in there just because he gets paid a lot. I want him in the because he is a good player.

jtandcrew
03-04-2009, 08:46 AM
If Cassel is the starter I want it to be because he is the better QB. If I remember correctly the Fubbalo Bills had Rob Johson as their $14 mil QB and when they took Flutie out and put in Mr. $14 mil. They lost. I don't want a guy in there just because he gets paid a lot. I want him in the because he is a good player.
I agree, my first sentence was more tongue in cheek. Although, i do really think its his job to lose and not Thigs or even Croyles to win.

Lazeye
03-04-2009, 09:45 AM
If we are forced to have Cass as our QB then throw thig in as a WR and have the D keep guessing when we are going to pull out the trick plays with two QB's on the field and keep them more honest. Put Thig out there for about 10 plays agame and he will complete atleast 2 bombs out of 4 actually trys, I am not saying throw to him each time he is out there but help our OL with some misguided direction. If good RB's can throw TD's then what would a QB/WR do.

jtandcrew
03-04-2009, 10:37 AM
If we are forced to have Cass as our QB then throw thig in as a WR and have the D keep guessing when we are going to pull out the trick plays with two QB's on the field and keep them more honest. Put Thig out there for about 10 plays agame and he will complete atleast 2 bombs out of 4 actually trys, I am not saying throw to him each time he is out there but help our OL with some misguided direction. If good RB's can throw TD's then what would a QB/WR do.

Has someone been lighting the hippy lettuce? What would you put whats going to be the #2 QB on the field for? We havent even addressed the O-line yet! With our O-line that would be the stupidist move in history. I'm sure we have a RB or WR that can throw a ball. Hell i can throw a ball atleast 30 yards! Lets keep our trick plays in secret till Cassel gets done "competeing" for the starting job and see whos going to be the back-up before we throw Thig into running a crossing route to confuse an opposing defense!

Canada
03-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Has someone been lighting the hippy lettuce? What would you put whats going to be the #2 QB on the field for? We havent even addressed the O-line yet! With our O-line that would be the stupidist move in history. I'm sure we have a RB or WR that can throw a ball. Hell i can throw a ball atleast 30 yards! Lets keep our trick plays in secret till Cassel gets done "competeing" for the starting job and see whos going to be the back-up before we throw Thig into running a crossing route to confuse an opposing defense!

Yes I have. :beer: cause i am reeeeeallllly thirsty!! :D

jtandcrew
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Yes I have. :beer: cause i am reeeeeallllly thirsty!! :D

Thirsty or have the munchies?:lol:

Canada
03-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Thirsty and have the munchies?:lol:

Yes:D

Lazeye
03-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Yes I have been smoking the green wacky tabacy. All I was saying is that we are not going to pay 14 some odd million to sit a guy, yes haley wants the best men on the field but you do not make that kind of trade so you can get better competition at QB, not for no 14 million. We should use all our best guys and if a QB can run like a WR than use him for all its worth. Tell me that if you were a coach and the other team put a QB in the slot or whereever you would not be thinking oh well the ball is not going to him, no the D cor of the other team is going to have to decide what the hell to do. Use it early in the season then all the other teams must honor it. Kind of like when LT gets the ball around the 10 yard line you have to have it in the back of your mind this guy might throw it for a td instead of run it. Nah that play has noever gotten us before..right or any other team for that fact. We really cant say much more about our roster till the offseason is complete so I am thinking of some positive things we can do scheme wise. We do not need to know who will be apart of this team to talk about what I was refering to. Now I am going to go and smoke another joint so later I can say more stupid things to get us all wondering what the hell I am saying.

Bike
03-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm thinking Brodie Croyle would work on the offensive line as a right tackle. Worth a shot.

AussieChiefsFan
03-06-2009, 05:48 AM
I'm thinking Brodie Croyle would work on the offensive line as a right tackle. Worth a shot.Do you really think so?:sign0153: