PDA

View Full Version : The Kansas City Patriots?

dbolan
03-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Is that what we are becoming?

We have their GM, a coach that was tied to them, now we are making deals for their players.

I know I am gonna take some hits for this but I am not too thrilled about the Cassell/Vrabel trade.

To me..And this is my opinion, Cassell is not the answer. He had a very good year due to great coaching and dumbing down the playbook. The team is what made his success last year.

Vrabel is too old and slow for a starting linebacker position. Don't quite see what he is bringing to the table at this point.

Hope it all works out though!

honda522
03-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Vrable was brought in to teach DJ, and Curry. (Hopefully Curry :))

Canada
03-02-2009, 11:17 AM
A GM and a player and all of a sudden we are the Patriots? We have had more 49ers QBs on our team than Patriots but we aren't the Kansas City 49ers.

Vrabel is here so we have some veteran leadership. Something that is sorely lacking on this team!:bananen_smilies046:

honda522
03-02-2009, 11:19 AM
A GM and two players and maybe a old DC and all of a sudden we are the Patriots? We have had more 49ers QBs on our team than Patriots but we aren't the Kansas City 49ers.

Vrabel is here so we have some veteran leadership. Something that is sorely lacking on this team!:bananen_smilies046:
Fixed :)

Pro_Angler
03-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't care what you call us as long as we win the 2-3 SB's in the next ten years like i projected.

Canada
03-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Fixed :)

:lol: I keep forgetting about Vrabel :bananen_smilies046:

honda522
03-02-2009, 11:28 AM
:lol: I keep forgetting about Vrabel :bananen_smilies046:
:o

(Message too short? ROFL)

yashi
03-02-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm skeptical about Cassel, and the Pats were sure eager to throw Vrabel into the deal.

BUT.

It should say something that so many teams, INCLUDING the one who has Jay Cutler, were trying to acquire Cassel. Not only that, but all the Pats fans coming and telling us that they believe he is the real deal. These are the guys that watched every game last year. They know a lot more about him than any of us does.

Vrabel could be old and washed up, but that's almost irrelevant. The fact is that he's a great defensive leader (something we desperately needed), and has a lot of experience with the 3-4 scheme. He will do wonders in mentoring our young players, and should also be a pretty good contributor as a pass rusher and smart linebacker. If he doesn't work out, his contract is up after next season anyway.

I'd rather be the Kansas City Patriots than say... the Kansas City Lions.

prough91
03-02-2009, 11:47 AM
We're the Patriots West.

northwest
03-02-2009, 12:07 PM
obviously, staff in the NFL know the potential Cassel has more than we do. i think it will pan out for the chiefs.

dbolan
03-02-2009, 01:20 PM
I am well aware of just how good Matt Cassell is. All a person has to do is do a little bit of research and they can see just how good of a season he had last season and if a person digs hard enough they can find out why the Trojans recruited him. I for one can't wait to see him light up defenses with Tony G and DBowe :D

ALL of that sounds good and I hope it happens but TG and DB are not the same recieving corp that Cassell had in NE. Every ball handler on that team, RB's especially, contributed greatly with pass receptions.

If our RB's become a pass threat and if we get a speedy possession WR (Welker style), then things can be as bright as ever.

Cheers!

tornadospotter
03-02-2009, 01:32 PM
WE ARE THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!

There is no way but the Chiefs way! Pioli is a Chief now, so it is the Chiefs way!:11:

yashi
03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
ALL of that sounds good and I hope it happens but TG and DB are not the same recieving corp that Cassell had in NE. Every ball handler on that team, RB's especially, contributed greatly with pass receptions.

If our RB's become a pass threat and if we get a speedy possession WR (Welker style), then things can be as bright as ever.

Cheers!

No TG and Bowe are not Welker and Moss, but they're close enough.

josh1971
03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
This happens whenever you move front office staff. We have a few old Herm players- we've started to get some Cardinal people. No biggie.

JB

dbolan
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
No TG and Bowe are not Welker and Moss, but they're close enough.

No, not really. Plus, compare RB receptions/ydg and rushing yardage between the Chiefs and Pats. That makes a huge difference in how the game is played.

2 facking recieving weapons vs 7 or 8? C'mon man! LOL!

hardcorechiefsfan
03-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Players and otherwise employees change teams through their choice or not their choice; it happens all the time.

About your crack about the Kansas City Patriots - I couldn't find a better team to be like. You got to remember that the majority here was for Pioli being signed on. Me persononally - I thought he could give the chiefs a much needed nose job.
I wanted Cassel as a chief even before the season ended. I know he can be what we need in a QB. Cassel and Thiggie Pop can battle it out for thew starting position, I really don't care. Do we still have Thiggie??

DT14PRIEST
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
If it wins games I can't see how anyone can argue with it.

And I find it funny how people can throw Tony Gonzalez under the bus so quickly and say he's not a comparable weapon to Moss or Welker in his own game.

That's asinine and just people looking for holes to fill their poor argument with. If Tony G isn't Tony G, Thigpen looks like garbage and all this love that people have for him is non existent and nobody wants him around for 2009, the Chiefs look worse then the Lions and we have no real football caliber players.

And Dwayne Bowe isn't comparable to Wes Welker or Moss as well? Here's the reception stats for all four of them

KC: TONY G and DWAYNE BOWE

Tony: 96 Reception, 1058 Yards, 10 TDs
Bowe: 86 Receptions, 1022 Yards, 7 TDs

Total: 182 Receptions, 2080 Yards, 17 TDs

NE: MOSS and WELKER

Moss: 69 Receptions, 1008 Yards, 11 TDs
Welker: 111 Reception, 1165 Yards, 3 TDs

Total: 180 Receptions, 2173 Yards, 14 TDs

Thats a 2 Reception, 93 yards, 3 TD difference. That isnt huge.

This huge descrepency that everyone thinks is between the top two recieving weapons for the Chiefs and the Pats is non existant.

You need to get over the name Randy Moss and bring him down from whatever mythic level you've put him at. Welker is like any other possesion reciever and does well in making the YAC (yards after catch). ESPN analyst don't know everything

DT14PRIEST
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Do we still have Thiggie??

Yes, Thigpen is still a Chief as of now

KristofLaw
03-02-2009, 07:07 PM
And Dwayne Bowe isn't comparable to Wes Welker or Moss as well? Here's the reception stats for all four of them

I, for one, didn't realize they were that close. Good stat hunting, props.

warcrychief
03-02-2009, 08:15 PM

And I find it funny how people can throw Tony Gonzalez under the bus so quickly and say he's not a comparable weapon to Moss or Welker in his own game.

That's asinine and just people looking for holes to fill their poor argument with. If Tony G isn't Tony G, Thigpen looks like garbage and all this love that people have for him is non existent and nobody wants him around for 2009, the Chiefs look worse then the Lions and we have no real football caliber players.

This huge descrepency that everyone thinks is between the top two recieving weapons for the Chiefs and the Pats is non existant.

You need to get over the name Randy Moss and bring him down from whatever mythic level you've put him at. Welker is like any other possesion reciever and does well in making the YAC (yards after catch). ESPN analyst don't know everything

And dont forget Vrabel lol he is an endzone threat. :D

Bike
03-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I think Pioli knows the Pats players better than the Chiefs. Really, as much as I hate to say it, any player or players coming from the Pats to the Chiefs is an improvement for the Chiefs.

Chiefster
03-02-2009, 11:11 PM

We have their GM, a coach that was tied to them, now we are making deals for their players.

I know I am gonna take some hits for this but I am not too thrilled about the Cassell/Vrabel trade.

To me..And this is my opinion, Cassell is not the answer. He had a very good year due to great coaching and dumbing down the playbook. The team is what made his success last year.

Vrabel is too old and slow for a starting linebacker position. Don't quite see what he is bringing to the table at this point.

You're absolutely one hundred percent right; you'll probably take some hits for this. :D

Coach
03-02-2009, 11:14 PM
We're the Patriots West.

I'm not sure that is a bad thing.

Chiefster
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm not sure that is a bad thing.

Agreed! It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to start looking a lot like the Pats! :D

Canada
03-02-2009, 11:52 PM
This is a joke. Kansas City Patriots. Way to support your team guys!! Gald to be a part of it!!

dbolan
03-03-2009, 12:19 AM

If you have written this in response to my posts, please read everything I wrote.

First, I did mention the comparison between the aforementioned but I also tossed in the fact that NE has WAY MORE receiving threats. So look at all of the receiving stats for both teams, then tell me how the comparison looks!

Then, while you are at it, take a look at the rushing attack along with the fact that MOST, if not all of the Pats RB's catch the ball out of the backfield and make positive yardage to boot.

The bottom line is that when a Patriot QB drops back to throw the ball, he has many more viable options which is one reason why I said Cassell led the league in sacks (in another thread)...He waited too long to throw the ball because he was rusty about getting through his progression...Which is 5 facking miles long in comparison to the Chiefs overall recieving corp.

Not trying to be asinine in any way whatsoever but what I AM saying is that TG and BOWE should have had those kind of numbers, if not MORE because they were the only targets we had and if nothing changes with our rushing attack (and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield), an addition of a FA WR along with some O Line improvement...You can bet your arse that Bowe and TG will not carry us to the promise land just because Cassell walked in tote'n his gun.

Chiefster
03-03-2009, 12:36 AM
This is a joke. Kansas City Patriots. Way to support your team guys!! Gald to be a part of it!!

I just meant that I wouldn't mind having some of the same success they've had; without all the scandal of course. :D

AussieChiefsFan
03-03-2009, 12:51 AM

Hope it all works out though!Sure we got basically half our team from the pats but vrabel and cassel are good choices!

DT14PRIEST
03-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Then, while you are at it, take a look at the rushing attack along with the fact that MOST, if not all of the Pats RB's catch the ball out of the backfield and make positive yardage to boot.

The bottom line is that when a Patriot QB drops back to throw the ball, he has many more viable options which is one reason why I said Cassell led the league in sacks (in another thread)...He waited too long to throw the ball because he was rusty about getting through his progression...Which is 5 facking miles long in comparison to the Chiefs overall recieving corp.

Not trying to be asinine in any way whatsoever but what I AM saying is that TG and BOWE should have had those kind of numbers, if not MORE because they were the only targets we had and if nothing changes with our rushing attack (and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield), an addition of a FA WR along with some O Line improvement...You can bet your arse that Bowe and TG will not carry us to the promise land just because Cassell walked in tote'n his gun.

I wasn't referencing you as asinine but the argument that Tony G. was not a comparable weapon when you refrenced him, I'm not name calling you personally.

Didn't mean anything by that, so I hope you didn't take it that way.

But saying that Cassel had a variety of options to compared to Thigpen can be argued as Thigpen actually distributed the ball to more players (14) compared to Cassel (11). Yet the difference comes when it falls to the number 3 reciever as the next highest reception total for New England was Kevin Faulk at (58) reception while the next highest Chief was Mark Bradley at (30) and one could argue on what happened there as well

I think this has more to do with Thigpen's comfort zone with Tony G/Bowe then his lack of a 3rd target. It's not that Bradley is a terrible reciever (I thought he wasn't half bad as a number 3 guy) its just that Thigpen didn't get him the ball enough or try too at least or in some cases just couldnt throw the ball far enough to make defenses respect the deep threat like Cassel could do with Moss so he had to relegate to passing to his two biggest targets within short to intermediate range to assure success.

While both QBs spread the ball to their favorite recievers comparatively:

- 58% of Thigpen's Completions were to either Tony G/Bowe

- 56% of Cassel's Completions went to either Moss/Welker

it wasn't for lack of a third reciever for either as it was for just simply getting them the ball.

- 17% of Cassel's passes went to RB Kevin Faulk

- 9% of Thigpen's passes went to WR Mark Bradley

The rushing attack is probably more true as the Pats did have a number 3 back and Thigpen wasn't a designated runner and had to scramble. But for all intents and purposes he was in the top 3 and did account for a running threat. So if you take the Top 3 rushing leaders from the Chiefs and the Top 3 from the Pats and look at their Carries, yards gained, and yards per attempt you get...

Chiefs Rushing (LJ/Charles/Thigpen):

LJ: 193 Carries, 874 Yards, 4.5 yards per carry
J.Charles: 67 Carries, 357 Yards, 5.3 yards per carry
T.Thigpen: 62 Carries, 386 Yards, 6.2 yards per carry

Total: 322 Carries, 1617 Yards, 5.0 yards per carry (avg)

Pats Rushing (Faulk/Morris/Jordan):

S.Morris: 156 Carries, 727 Yards, 4.7 yards per carry
K.Faulk: 83 Carries, 507 Yards, 6.1 yards per carry
L.Jordan: 80 Carries, 363 Yards, 4.5 yards per carry

*M.Cassel: 72 Carries, 270 Yards, 3.9 Yards Per Carry [so he's got mobility]

Total: 319 Carries, 1597 Yards, 5.0 yards per carry (avg)

So the totals are roughly equivalent. Had Kolby Smith not been injured he may or may not have been a factor but the Chiefs had a decent backfield last season with LJ/Charles alone, Thigpen was just icing on the cake that became part of the cake after Smith went down. Can it be better? Hell yea. Does LJ have hands? Hell no. But we did have comparable success coming out of the backfield so the threat was still present (even if it didnt present itself towards the end of the season)

Just think of it like this:

The Chiefs offense was 1 TD, 57 Total yards, 28 Pass Yards, and 29 Rush yards on Avg. worse then the Pats offense throughout the year.

Food for thought?

Arguing for the sake of arguing.

dbolan
03-03-2009, 11:36 AM
So, in essence...Because our offense had comparable numbers, we really could probably break down the whole thing by saying we had a poor defense (well known fact) and poor coaching.

Pretty much sums it up, right?

Bike
03-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Don't forget that Thigpen had a habit of throwing INT's or just not getting the ball to receivers when pressured or in game winning situations.
Thig never stood a chance with this offense. He was constantly pressured. Bowe was constantly running sideline routes which takes away opportunities. Piss-poor coaching IMO. Thig played well despite Herm. I doubt anyone else could've done any better. JMHO.:bananen_smilies046:

ryandubKU86
03-03-2009, 09:13 PM
If we start winning superbowls then who the F cares???

kuchief
03-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Actually we are the Kansas City Tigers

we have at least 2 players from LSU

yashi
03-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Actually we are the Kansas City Tigers

we have at least 2 players from LSU

at least 3 that I know of.... Bowe, Dorsey, Niswanger. They all played together at one point too.

honda522
03-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by KansasCityChris http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=122697#post122697)
Don't forget that Thigpen had a habit of throwing INT's or just not getting the ball to receivers when pressured or in game winning situations.

Thats a bad comparison. Thigpen, 12 INTs to Cassels 11 INTs

Tho Cassel had 21 TDs for Thiggys 18.

Still bad tho, everyone throws picks.

MichChieffan
03-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Kansas City Patriots? Are you kidding me? Shootfire, we might as well add Moss and Welker to help out Bowe. :sign0153:

Sn@keIze
03-03-2009, 11:59 PM
I was kind of making fun of this thread (with Canada) in other threads.

But in some aspects, its actually its a decent thread. Considering the way we are making changes in personnel and D schemes. I can see what dbolan is talking bout.

And if we land Crennell it would be all the more so.

PatsFan4Chiefs
03-04-2009, 01:51 PM

Not here to defend the Pats impact on the Chiefs. But, you have been away from the big time for a while if you define a QB whose team went 2--14 with a 54% completion rate and a 74 Rating as "success." As for what made Matt good last year, you might be right. Only time will tell. But, for now, I think I'd take my chances with the guy who took his team to 11--5 in what was effectivley his first season and ended up with a Rating of 90 and rushed for 270 yards on the side. Vrabes brings one or two more good seasons on the field and a wealth of leadership and experience to a young lockerroom. If I were you, I'd count your blessings and the relatively low price you payed for them.

Canada
03-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Ya know, for a Pats fan you know what your talkin about man. I have been trying to tell these QB controversy Chiefs fans the same thing you just said since Matt came to the Chiefs. There is no controversy and since we are payin the guy $14 million for 2009, why would we sit him on the pine? Your an outsider looking in and said almost everything I have been the last 5 days.:bananen_smilies046:

I'm not arguing whether or not Cassel should start, I am arguing with the logic that you should start him because he makes $14 million. Rob Johsnon was a $14 million QB and he was named a starter because of his paycheck and look how well that worked out. :bananen_smilies046:

Canada
03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Logic my friend, if he bombs out we can always go to Tyler. I am simply saying since we are payin him he will be our starter to begin the season, I would hope common sense and logic would tell Haley to pull his dumb a$$ if he fails ;) :bananen_smilies046:

I would hope that would happen earlier if Thigpen outperforms Cassel. Play the best QB not the richest.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Let me ask this question to everyone.......

Is there anyone here who feels Thigpen would have accomplished what Cassel did had he been the QB of the Patriots last season? This is gonna be good!!!

Chief Tyler
03-04-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm pretty sure everybody made up their minds on that question months ago during the regular season.

For me the answer is yes.

Chiefster
03-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I would hope that would happen earlier if Thigpen outperforms Cassel. Play the best QB not the richest.

I read ya bud!:sign0098:

Chiefster
03-04-2009, 05:35 PM
That should never be the topic. The best QB is always on the first team. IMO that is Cassell with or without the money in place. Something tells me that Pioli wouldn't have made Matt the first FA pick up if that wasn't the case and Matt did win 11 games to Tylers 1 last year and no matter how much people say it was our defense and our shotty line, Tyler made alot of mistakes during his stint on the feild. I would just have to wonder how many of those games we might have won if Tyler didn't throw some of the INT's or get the incompletions when we needed scores. There is no QB controversy and there is no debate IMO . Matt Cassell will start and be our starter until he shows he can't handle it. I have said this about15 times through out the threads on the forum , I hope this is the last time :) :bananen_smilies046:

Repeating yourself is a choice you make, and makes no sense to complain about it.

Chiefster
03-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Not complaining just saying it so people know I haven't changed my stand on the point. It's rather funny that the multitudes actually need to have it repeated LMAO!:bananen_smilies046:

I see, you're just going with a sense of educational responsibility. :D

I think you worry to much about what people think. :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
03-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I have had people pick at my valid points over the words I choose to use and yes I do have a conscious oppinion of what people think about my oppinions because the validity of my points is what makes me who I am. That is another discussion ;) . I think we should remain on topic and I try to do that as much as I can. :bananen_smilies046:

I'm just messin with ya. My only point is that if you tire of repeating yourself then stop; people are going to think what they will of you, I or anyone else regardless of how often we we repeat ourselves. :)

But, you're right; back on topic.

ChiefCanada
03-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Thats a bad comparison. Thigpen, 12 INTs to Cassels 11 INTs

Tho Cassel had 21 TDs for Thiggys 18.

Still bad tho, everyone throws picks.

Yeah but Cassel started 15 games, and pretty much played the enitre season. While Thigpen started 11 games last year which would have presumably put his numbers ahead of Cassel's by quite a bit. But anyway, all this posturing is fine(and somewhat redundant) until pre-season and we get to see which QB prepares better and plays better

rbedgood
03-06-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm sure someone else said this, but I read through the first 8-10 posts and didn't see it. Vrabel is old and mostly washed up, but he is a solid veteran. The reason he was in the trade though was likely a salary cap concession that the Chiefs were willing to make to get the Patriots to make the deal for Cassel.

Cassel is a good quality QB...those are pretty rare. You guys had Trent Green for a while, but this really is the first YOUNG good quality QB I can remember you guys having in the years I've been a football fan. (I might be missing someone)...

Anyways I don't think Cassel is the best in the league, but he's well above average and should help turn the offense around if nothing else. With his presence teams will find it more difficult to stack the box for th run as he can buy a little time and deliver the ball accurately to the two big targets you guys have (Gonzalez and Bowe).

I'm really interested to see the results.

AussieChiefsFan
03-06-2009, 02:13 AM
I'm sure someone else said this, but I read through the first 8-10 posts and didn't see it. Vrabel is old and mostly washed up, but he is a solid veteran. The reason he was in the trade though was likely a salary cap concession that the Chiefs were willing to make to get the Patriots to make the deal for Cassel.

Cassel is a good quality QB...those are pretty rare. You guys had Trent Green for a while, but this really is the first YOUNG good quality QB I can remember you guys having in the years I've been a football fan. (I might be missing someone)...

Anyways I don't think Cassel is the best in the league, but he's well above average and should help turn the offense around if nothing else. With his presence teams will find it more difficult to stack the box for th run as he can buy a little time and deliver the ball accurately to the two big targets you guys have (Gonzalez and Bowe).

I'm really interested to see the results."(I might be missing someone)..." -rbedgood. Yeah like Tigpen!