PDA

View Full Version : QB Competition in KC - just ask Haley

wubfree
03-03-2009, 03:22 PM
it could be BS but at least Haley saying reasonable things...like I sd before, Haley seems like an assassin. just wants to win. if Thigpen looks better in camp and everybody knows it, I gotta believe he'll get a shot. Not like when we shipped off Gannon because Grbac was Peterson's guy.

quote...

I dont know that you can say the quarterback position is secure, Haley said Monday in his first public statement since the trade was made. I think weve got another guy to come in and compete for the starting quarterback position.

I just got off the phone with Tyler. I told him Im a very selfish coach. I think thats evident by Arizona and what we did there. Were going to play the guys that give us the best chance to win.

-KC Star

Hayvern
03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Someone else said it on here before. They were going to have a competition between Huard and Croyle, but in the end it was Croyle. I think there might be a competition, but Thigpen would have to come out playing like Joe Montana and Cassel would have to look like Todd Blackledge for him to lose the starting position.

Clearly it is Cassel's job to lose.

kuchief
03-03-2009, 05:03 PM
I would bet a lot that Cassel is going to be the starter, unless there is an injury

AussieChiefsFan
03-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I would bet a lot that Cassel is going to be the starter, unless there is an injuryso would I!

PatsFan4Chiefs
03-09-2009, 01:01 PM
One thing you have to remember is that Cassel learned at the feet of Belichick and Brady. TB has been quoted often, without contradiction by Coach, as saying that he approaches every Offseason and every Training Camp as though he were fighting for his job, even with four SB's, three rings, two SB MVP's and a League MVP under his belt.

That's how Matt will think about this, I assure you. He'll approach the competition with Thigpen as though he were back competing with Brady under BB's unpleasantly critical eye. I know that's a big change after three years of 15--33 under Herm, but it's what Pioli and Haley will bring to your team.

Enjoy. You're gonna have a great ride!

dbolan
03-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I really don't care as long as he gets the job done. But I will lean towards the job as being Cassell's to lose.

loyalchief91
03-09-2009, 02:17 PM
It's cassel's to lose..

kcmostwanted
03-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Yup.. it's Cassel's job to lose but if Cassel sucks it up like Lienart (crossing my fingers)... I'm pretty sure Haley wouldn't hesitate to throw Thigpen in!

Hayvern
03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Whatever happens, I am hoping the starting quarterback of decision does not suck up anything. I want the guy to come out like gangbusters! I don't want to go through three horrible games before we realize that the QB of choice is really not the best choice.

Coach
03-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Whatever happens, I am hoping the starting quarterback of decision does not suck up anything. I want the guy to come out like gangbusters! I don't want to go through three horrible games before we realize that the QB of choice is really not the best choice.
I second that. I really don't want a QB controversy.

Bike
03-10-2009, 03:58 AM
I second that. I really don't want a QB controversy.
I really don't think there is one....

brish
03-10-2009, 12:41 PM
I've been watching a few Patriots games from last year, to see our new QB at work. (NE vs Buffalo, NE vs Seattle)

I have to say so far.. I feel good about this aquisition!
He has a good arm, probably better than Thigpen. He is pretty accurate, also when throwing deep balls. He also runs well, and most importantly, he doesn't run because of panic. But because it's his best option.

What impressed me the most though, is his vision and willingness to take a big hit if it means he can get the ball to his receiver. Considering our O-line, I like the fact that he can run. But it is good to see that he doesn't scramble everytime the preassure gets to him.

Assuming we will be running a similar system as the one they ran in NE, we really need a warrior of a slot receiver. I personally think Wes Welker means atleast as much to NE's success as Randy Moss.. That man is catchin machine! Maybe TG can fill this role somewhat, if we split him out as a slot receiver.
Another thing I noticed is that the RB's are very important in the passing game aswell, not only as receivers but very much as blockers too. LJ doesn't fit with that role at all..

These observations are mainly based on those two games, so I would love to hear anyone else's comments on other games.
Bottom line is - I think Cassel is an upgrade to Thigpen. However I would have preferred Thigpen to any of the QB's in this years draft..