PDA

View Full Version : S Roy Williams good fit in KC

Chiefzfan
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I saw today that the cowboys are looking to release there veteran safety Roy Williams. I think this would be a must sign for the chiefs. With Page a FA and there D-backs all being so young, with the release of Surtain (which was a great decision) not only would Williams add some great depth and talent, but some well needed leadership in the secondary. What do you guys think.

KottkeKU
03-05-2009, 02:09 PM
NO! Roy Williams (Safety) = most overrated player in NFL....

he cant tackle at all (he can hit hard, but not tackle) and his coverage skills are terrible. plus hes coming in the downside of his career....did you see what the redskins do to the Cowboys secondary (and most notably R.Williams) every year? unbelievable....even with Pollard and Page (who arent anything special)...he will likely be WAY overpriced. There are much better FA's available to spend the money on....we need linebackers and lineman

brish
03-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Personally i think he is too one-dimensional. Good against the run, but lacking in the coverage department. But i guess it all comes down to the system we're going to run.

Chiefzfan
03-05-2009, 02:14 PM
I agree that we need to spend the money better, but after the way our safeties performed last year, i was hoping that we could find some talent...i never really watch Williams too much, so i'm glad you cleared that up for me on how he can't cover very well.

Oh and isn't Page still a FA?

yashi
03-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Roy Williams is the most overrated safety, maybe player, in the NFL. No safety that is a complete liability in pass coverage should be a 5 time pro bowler.

I really want no part of him. Pollard is just as good of strong safety, is less injury prone, and younger.

Codac
03-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree that we need to spend the money better, but after the way our safeties performed last year, i was hoping that we could find some talent...i never really watch Williams too much, so i'm glad you cleared that up for me on how he can't cover very well.

Oh and isn't Page still a FA?

Our Safeties did fine last year. Had a few bumps, but did fine. Roy is not a leader. He is a loud-mouthed, money wanting, overrated player. Not a good fit in KC. We have enough problems with LJ and Brian Waters.

tornadospotter
03-05-2009, 03:05 PM
We are just fine at Safeties and CB's. We need on defense, LB's and DL.

kuchief
03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't agree with that we are just fine at safety. Pollard blows and Page is okay at best. But no to Roy Williams!! 1. Because he is way overrated, like most of you has said. 2. His name is Roy Williams and I am bitter towards that name. lol

yashi
03-05-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't agree with that we are just fine at safety. Pollard blows and Page is okay at best. But no to Roy Williams!! 1. Because he is way overrated, like most of you has said. 2. His name is Roy Williams and I am bitter towards that name. lol
Pollard and Page are both equally talented to Roy Williams and are only 24. Neither has reached their ceiling yet... and you can't really judge safeties when the defense has no pass rush because their job becomes impossible.

Ldub
03-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Pollard and Page are both equally talented to Roy Williams and are only 24. Neither has reached their ceiling yet... and you can't really judge safeties when the defense has no pass rush because their job becomes impossible.

Agreed, no safety or CB can do there job right when the qb has all day to throw the ball. I would lay off the Page and Pollard hate till we get a pass rush. Saftey is one of the least of our worrys right now imo.

As for Roy Willams... lol, no...

Sn@keIze
03-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Even if Ed Reed or Polumalu were avail. Id say no.

I like our 2ndary. I thought they did awesome considering we had the worst pass rush in NFL history. If the wide outs can run 10 sec routes its impossible to defend. If the wide outs only have 3 sec. a diff story.

Lets see what these guys can do with a pass rush!

kuchief
03-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Even if Ed Reed or Polumalu were avail. Id say no.

I like our 2ndary. I thought they did awesome considering we had the worst pass rush in NFL history. If the wide outs can run 10 sec routes its impossible to defend. If the wide outs only have 3 sec. a diff story.

Lets see what these guys can do with a pass rush!

sorry, but I have to disagree. I love our young CBs but our safeties aren't that great. Page is decent, but Pollard just sucks

Codac
03-05-2009, 03:58 PM

I heard that.

ktmrider
03-05-2009, 04:07 PM
But he is the master of the "Horse-collar tackle". :yahoo: I would have to say no thank you. I would rather keep who we have.

Codac
03-05-2009, 04:42 PM
sorry, but I have to disagree. I love our young CBs but our safeties aren't that great. Page is decent, but Pollard just sucks

Please explain to me why Pollard "just sucks". I'm not sure you know what your saying.

Sn@keIze
03-05-2009, 05:20 PM
I really like Pollard. Yes he needs area of improvement. But hes real physical. And I cant see how Page is better than Pollard.

Im not ready to give up on none of our 2ndary and theres no need to.

Youll see how good our safeties are when we have a good front 7.

Lazeye
03-05-2009, 05:21 PM
I AGREE, Down with the name roy $#@!%^& williams. that name has no value in any sport or position! Yes I am a HUGE KU fan lived in topeka all my young life. 1988 was the 1st year I ever watched a basketball game and we all know what happened that year. I have been to about 25 games since. GO HAWKS!!

Chiefzfan
03-05-2009, 05:23 PM
I love both pollard and page, they are young and have great potential. But i still my other question was, isn't page still a free agent..i dont recall the chiefs resigning him yet. In my opinion if they dont plan on resigning him, which i hope they do, technically we do have an issue at safety, cause Mcgraw is also a free agent..so losing some minor depth.

kuchief
03-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Please explain to me why Pollard "just sucks". I'm not sure you know what your saying.

he's terrible in coverage. He's not the best tackler. He can hit hard when he gets a clean shot, he's a good special teamer but not a good SS. I don't know why anybody would think he's even decent. He plays bad.

Lazeye
03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I really like Pollard. Yes he needs area of improvement. But hes real physical. And I cant see how Page is better than Pollard.

Im not ready to give up on none of our 2ndary and theres no need to.

Youll see how good our safeties are when we have a good front 7.
I also agree with this was well.

jap1
03-05-2009, 05:50 PM
I love both pollard and page, they are young and have great potential. But i still my other question was, isn't page still a free agent..i dont recall the chiefs resigning him yet. In my opinion if they dont plan on resigning him, which i hope they do, technically we do have an issue at safety, cause Mcgraw is also a free agent..so losing some minor depth.

Page hasnt been signed, but we tendered him for a 2nd round pick. Which, if I understand the system correctly, means if someone signs him we get a 2nd round pick.

Chiefzfan
03-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Page hasnt been signed, but we tendered him for a 2nd round pick. Which, if I understand the system correctly, means if someone signs him we get a 2nd round pick.

Ok, thank you i was wondering

Ldub
03-05-2009, 08:09 PM
he's terrible in coverage. He's not the best tackler. He can hit hard when he gets a clean shot, he's a good special teamer but not a good SS. I don't know why anybody would think he's even decent. He plays bad.

Pollard could be better in coverage, but I wouldnt use the word terrible. He can stuff the run and hits hard though and would be great in a 3-4. I dont see him going anywere.

Page does good in coverage and could uses some improvment stopping the rush, but again, hes not terrible. DaJuan Morgan could be sneeking up on him though, and I guessing thats why we might be fishing him for a second round pick at the moment.

frazier1te
03-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I agree that safeties look terrible when asked to cover too long. The entire passing defense is only as good as the front seven. HOWEVER... I remember too many plays where our safeties were terribly out of position and were subsequently burnt toast.

That having been said, I think our current safeties could be great with the proper tutelage and a coaching staff that knows how to play to its players' strengths. Our last coaching staff would try to hammer a nail with a wrench.

T

Sn@keIze
03-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I agree that safeties look terrible when asked to cover too long. The entire passing defense is only as good as the front seven. HOWEVER... I remember too many plays where our safeties were terribly out of position and were subsequently burnt toast.

That having been said, I think our current safeties could be great with the proper tutelage and a coaching staff that knows how to play to its players' strengths. Our last coaching staff would try to hammer a nail with a wrench.

TAwesome post! you hit it on the head there. the one thing I kept recalling is they just kept taking bad angles.

Now we have some real coaching, well, compared to Herm anyway. Im hopin we get a good DC, im glad Pioli is taking his time with that decision. Its that important.

And we're building more of a competant surrounding cast for these 2 safeties.

The only S I wouldnt mind seeing gone is McGraw.

SDChief09
03-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Isnt Pollard just a younger better version with less drama attached? Less Ego too? Less Money?

Roy Williams is DECENT in the Box, not even good let alone great...

I find it funny that Dallas has to cut owens leaving Williams/Roy(the other one) as top WR...dealing a 1/3/6 for him was ridiculous, he was just the best of a bunch of bust recievers at the top of the draft...

Honestly I think Bowe is a better reciever, and Bowe is FAR from having the experience Roy has....which may or may not mean Bowe can be big time...probably depends on if he starts running good routes.

SDChief09
03-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Forgot to mention, I agree on the angles with our safeties, and that also goes to our DL, I think Turk Mcbride flashed more than...well anyone on that line at times last year...the move may work for him.

ThigpenFan
03-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Shutup, you have no idea what you are talking about. Pollard is one of the hardest hitting safeties in the NFL. And also, if it weren't for Pollard......Cassel wouldn't be here. Why don't you start watching the Chiefs games and quit rambling off stupid ****.

Sn@keIze
03-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Shutup, you have no idea what you are talking about. Pollard is one of the hardest hitting safeties in the NFL. And also, if it weren't for Pollard......Cassel wouldn't be here. Why don't you start watching the Chiefs games and quit rambling off stupid ****.
Dang! dont hold back or anything thigfan.

Oh, and :welcome:

Chiefster
03-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Roy Williams good fit in KC

Really, the North Carolina Basketball coach??? :D

chief31
03-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Pollard is at least as good in coverage as Page is. And the only player that I have ever seen any worse at tackling, than Page, was Dieon Sanders.

But at least "Primetime" got out of the way, instead of into the LBs' way.

I saw Pollard get "Burnt" and looked pretty bad a few times. All but one of those times, he was getting torched on Pages side of the field, after Page either bit on an underneath route, or got fooled by play-action.

Bottom line? Pollard is solid. Pages last name could have been Plague.

tornadospotter
03-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Really, the North Carolina Basketball coach??? :D
Former KU Basketball Coach? :D

Chiefster
03-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Former KU Basketball Coach? :D

He is dead to me now. :11:

tornadospotter
03-05-2009, 11:22 PM
He is dead to me now. :11:
:11: I understand.

KottkeKU
03-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Yeah i feel the same about Roy Williams...it felt good to smear the almighty carolina tarheels in the final four last year...then go on and win the whole damn thing :) best week of my life...college basketball (other than nfl) truly is the greatest sporting event...

ahem...

anyways, i think our secondary is fine....i think Page is a better player than Pollard at the current moment...

HOWEVER- i have a hunch about about Pollard... I think He will benefit greatly from a 3-4, a better coaching staff, and a better defense (surely they can be as bad as last year)....i wouldnt be surpised to see him making splashes for a pro bowl in the next 1 or 2 years...

Seek
03-06-2009, 07:16 AM

He can't tackle worth a #^%@..... He tried to blow up every ball carrier and most of the time, he fails. He is horrible in pass coverage.

Pollard is nothing but an undersized LB who does not wrap up. To add to that, he started to lose his temper a bunch on the field which he was getting flagged for.

ThigpenFan
03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
I really like the Chiefs safeties and don't think we need an upgrade at all......Page maybe...... I agree with a lot of you in this thread in saying that if we had a pass rush we wouldn't get burnt as much, and you'd probably be seeing recievers getting their heads knocked off....Why don't we pick up Jason Taylor? I mean comeon, he might be a little aged but some players get better with age, hell, look at Strahan. I am so pumped up for next year and can't wait to hand it to the rest of the AFC West.:fatlock:

SDChief09
03-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I would just keep Page as a backup, let Morgan/Pollard play safety, then bring out Page anytime we are inside the redzone on D, and anytime we are playing the Raiders...these are the only times hes really effective.

kuchief
03-06-2009, 03:13 PM

are you serious? You're just gonna talk like that when you disagree with someone? oh, no and internet tough guy. Sorry I don't think everyone on the chiefs roster is an all-pro.

chief31
03-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Let's keep the gloves above the waist guys.

I find alot opinions to be crazy. But try to follow the rules of the site.

Try to be reasonably decent to each other.

marloweopatchiefs
03-07-2009, 01:18 PM
i'd love for them to get williams...or for that matter julius peppers..someone to get this defense motivated every week...