PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the 3-4?

bigpoppachief
03-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Personally I love the idea of running the 3-4 defense. I was really glad when we got Demorrio Williams and I think in a 3-4 he will be very dominate. Glen dorsey would make a good de in a 3-4 and I think Tank could be a beast nose tackle because the guy is strong as an ox. of course alot of this determines on if we can get curry or not. If Curry goes first like some Mocks are suggesting I see us taking Raji or Orapko either one or beast to me and I just finished watching some video of Raji and that guy is a monster ! Im going to watch Orapko right now but I am just curious on IF we did have to draft Raji could tank make a good 3-4 DE kinda like olshanksy for the Chargers ? Not fast but strong as hell and frees paths for linebackers. We may draft Orapko but I am hoping Curry is there and we welcome a beast to the Chiefs. I think we got to go Defense in this draft and maybe just maybe Andre Smith will fall to us in the 3rd round since he is a dumbass but he can play. Sorry got a little off track here lol

Sn@keIze
03-11-2009, 02:35 AM
The way I understand it so far is we may have 4-3 mixed in as well.

Yes, Andre hurt himself. If he let himself get sooo out of shape when he knew combine was coming up, is he going to pull off the same crap before training camp starts?

brish
03-11-2009, 05:14 PM
He hasn't shown great maturity or work ethic.. I don't want to blow a pick on him, if someone we know might be a good player is available..

brish
03-11-2009, 05:38 PM
My opinion is that if Aaron Curry is available at #3, we take him! To me he is not only the best LB in the draft, but the best player..
He has shown, good work ethics, humility and leadership. He is also performing consistently at a very high level. To make him even more appealing, I think he could play in both the 3-4 and 4-3, and it is a position we really need to fill.
Also with Vrabel now here, I couldn't think of someone much better, to guide him through the transition to the NFL. But hey thats just me..

Curry! :yahoo:

jap1
03-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Personally I love the idea of running the 3-4 defense. I was really glad when we got Demorrio Williams and I think in a 3-4 he will be very dominate. Glen dorsey would make a good de in a 3-4 and I think Tank could be a beast nose tackle because the guy is strong as an ox. of course alot of this determines on if we can get curry or not. If Curry goes first like some Mocks are suggesting I see us taking Raji or Orapko either one or beast to me and I just finished watching some video of Raji and that guy is a monster ! Im going to watch Orapko right now but I am just curious on IF we did have to draft Raji could tank make a good 3-4 DE kinda like olshanksy for the Chargers ? Not fast but strong as hell and frees paths for linebackers. We may draft Orapko but I am hoping Curry is there and we welcome a beast to the Chiefs. I think we got to go Defense in this draft and maybe just maybe Andre Smith will fall to us in the 3rd round since he is a dumbass but he can play. Sorry got a little off track here lol

The way it looks right now I see us running a hybrid 3-4 and 4-3. I am not convinced we have the personnel (DL) to run a full time 3-4. Im kinda torn as to whether I want us to draft Curry at #3. In a 3-4, LBs are not nearly important as in a 4-3. In a 3-4 the key is to have a strong DL, which I am not sure we have yet. I think we have a decent LB corps right now with DJ, Vrabel, and some combo of Boiman, Williams and Babin.

If we are going 3-4, I dont think Orakpo should even be considered. He is more of a 4-3 outside speed rusher. A 3-4 DE needs to be strong to push back the OL and stop the run. The pass rush isnt their primary job.

yashi
03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Sign Orlando Pace so that we don't have to draft an OT.

Then it comes down to Raji or Curry. If management feels that Tank can play 3-4 NT in the NFL, then the decisions easy. Otherwise... NOT SO MUCH, as Borat would say.

KottkeKU
03-11-2009, 11:13 PM
I think it is 1.) Curry 2.) Jason Smith 3.) BJ Raji

If detroit goes curry, then that will suck.....lets pray they take a QB or Jason Smith, because im pretty sure St Louis is going after a tackle...

AussieChiefsFan
03-12-2009, 02:35 AM
Yep, we desperately need Curry!!:11:

prough91
03-13-2009, 11:04 AM
I like 3. It's my lucky number. I don't really have an opinion on 4.

Diesel
03-13-2009, 02:18 PM
The way it looks right now I see us running a hybrid 3-4 and 4-3. I am not convinced we have the personnel (DL) to run a full time 3-4. Im kinda torn as to whether I want us to draft Curry at #3. In a 3-4, LBs are not nearly important as in a 4-3. In a 3-4 the key is to have a strong DL, which I am not sure we have yet. I think we have a decent LB corps right now with DJ, Vrabel, and some combo of Boiman, Williams and Babin.

If we are going 3-4, I dont think Orakpo should even be considered. He is more of a 4-3 outside speed rusher. A 3-4 DE needs to be strong to push back the OL and stop the run. The pass rush isnt their primary job.

Orakpo should absolutely be considered. I think he would be a great rush backer in the 3-4! And with the current state of our team not knowing wtf we will be running scheme wise he also adds value as a 4-3 end. Would not surprise me one bit if they go with Orakpo. I love Curry and would take him first but if he's gone Orakpo does make sense to me.

bigpoppachief
03-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Orakpo should absolutely be considered. I think he would be a great rush backer in the 3-4! And with the current state of our team not knowing wtf we will be running scheme wise he also adds value as a 4-3 end. Would not surprise me one bit if they go with Orakpo. I love Curry and would take him first but if he's gone Orakpo does make sense to me.

I live in Texas and can say from personally wtaching Orapko in the field he is a beast who I would love to see him in red and gold

Diesel
03-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Absolutely. I think he has actually underachieved to date (he has too much potential) but I think he perfectly fits our needs as well. We are a current 4-3 team that would like to start morphing into a 3-4 or at the very least run some hybrid and we had the worst pass rush in the entire NFL last season. Orakpo is a proven pass rusher, can put his hand down in the dirt and play the end in the 4-3 or stand up and be a rush backer for us in a 3-4. Much like Curry (who I love) has the versatility to play all backer spots, Orakpo brings a lot of versatility as well.

bigpoppachief
03-14-2009, 01:00 AM

Curry is the man IF he falls to us and right now that is looking like a big IF. I think that we either go Orapko or LT or Trade down. I just don't see raji as being that good and worth a third pick. I really think as a chiefs fan you would look at Dorsey and Tyler and not see what I do. Tank is strong as an Ox and the only reason that our DT's had such a hard time last year was because we had NO ends whatsoever and besides DJ and the occasional apperance of D Williams our linebackers weren't that much help either.

Diesel
03-15-2009, 09:35 AM
I'll be happy with Curry or Orakpo.

theaxeeffect4311
03-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Curry is the man IF he falls to us and right now that is looking like a big IF. I think that we either go Orapko or LT or Trade down. I just don't see raji as being that good and worth a third pick. I really think as a chiefs fan you would look at Dorsey and Tyler and not see what I do. Tank is strong as an Ox and the only reason that our DT's had such a hard time last year was because we had NO ends whatsoever and besides DJ and the occasional apperance of D Williams our linebackers weren't that much help either.

Curry was looking like an IF, but not anymore. With Detroit trading for Julian Peterson, they have the linebacker corps pretty secured. Then the Rams cut Pace and Holt, so they will either go OT or WR to replace those holes (I think they are going Crabtree). Which means Curry will fall to us at 3 and we will get the player this team needs. This is not going to be a one year fix for defense or offense. So take the best players available this season, and use plug in players in all those other spots. Then work on making it better next season.

jason1981
03-15-2009, 10:16 PM
i dont know about you all but im anxious for the draft to get here already

bigpoppachief
03-15-2009, 10:18 PM

AMEN ! 40 something days !!

AussieChiefsFan
03-18-2009, 12:44 AM
same here! 36 days to go!:yahoo::bananen_smilies046:

Bike
03-18-2009, 02:27 PM
I'll be happy with Curry or Orakpo.
I'll be happy with Curry or Monroe.:bananen_smilies046:

Hayvern
03-19-2009, 10:17 AM
I am of the mindset that both defensive formations are effective if you have the right personnel to run it.

I don't think we have had the front four in a long time to be an effective 4-3 and I am not sure even after the draft if we will have the right personnel for a 3-4. I believe the coaches realize this to and that is why they are saying they will run some sort of hybrid.

AussieChiefsFan
03-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I think Defence is a really important part of an NFL team. So that's why I'm glad about the way the chiefs are going to come out of this offseason!

pbatrucker
03-22-2009, 05:08 AM
I really don't care if we play 4-3 or 3-4 or a hybrid. I just want to see players getting after people, getting sacks and causing turnovers.
I really believe the players we had last year were't as bad as the record showed. I believe it was more because of poor coaching and a bad system.
Anyway I believe Paoli has a plan and am exited about the future of Chiefs football.
:bananen_smilies046: :11: :11:

AussieChiefsFan
03-22-2009, 05:55 AM
I really don't care if we play 4-3 or 3-4 or a hybrid. I just want to see players getting after people, getting sacks and causing turnovers.

:bananen_smilies046: :11: :11:Me too! I would like to try a 3-4 though. Not that i'd make a fuss over it.

honda522
03-22-2009, 08:28 PM
My thoughts? It sucked! atleast on Madden it did. lol. :D

AussieChiefsFan
03-24-2009, 05:55 AM
My thoughts? It sucked! atleast on Madden it did. lol. :DWhat did?

bigpoppachief
03-24-2009, 02:55 PM
My thoughts? It sucked! atleast on Madden it did. lol. :D

LOL Yeah I hate playing 3-4 Defense on Madden as well and that was the first thing I told my bro in law when i heard we are goign 3-4 DAMN I got to learn that defense now

AussieChiefsFan
03-25-2009, 03:28 AM
What did?
right.............. madden................