PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get out of the mud.

m0ef0e
07-31-2007, 08:01 PM
I listen to ESPN radio a lot while I'm at work. I've heard several guys get on there and trash the Chiefs, giving them no chance whatsoever this year, with what I feel are severely skewed viewpoints.

This all started when I heard John Seibel on his afternoon spot, the Sports Bash, talking about how the Dolphins are going to win their division with Trent Green and how the Chiefs are stupid for releasing him.

I also heard the same garbage being spewed by Stephen A. Smith this morning coupled with comments about how no LJ and the holes in our "swiss cheese" defense spell doom for the Chiefs.

First of all, Stephen A. Smith is an NBA guy. His football analysis is uninformed and shoddy at best. To allow him to spew his ignorant opinion on the national sound waves is painful to listen to at times.

Then, not to mention Jason Whitlock's article about Priest Holmes' return. While I can't be sure of all the details and Priest's true motivation for coming back, that is one "pawn" i will always want to have on my chess board.

I want to address these comments from a football standpoint. Especially this utter trash about us being in worse shape without Trent. (I want to be clear that Trent Green had great years for us as a Chief and I personally think he is a great player and a great man.) However, Trent was no longer the right man for the job and to keep him around was only going to put more pressure on a line that needs as little of that as they can get right now. At least until they've had some time to learn the Chiefs' system and to work together as a cohesive unit.

Gannon-Bono, Huard-Green. We've all seen it before. A quarterback gets hurt. The backup wins games and puts up good numbers. The starter comes back and sucks, still gets the nod in the playoffs, and the backup doesn't even get a shot in the second half after a completely stagnant first half from the starter.

With the loss of Roaf, the protection Green needed wasn't there anymore. Now with the loss of Shields as well, the pass-protection will break down more. To have a miserably immobile pocket-passer like Green under center is suicidal for a football team with winning ambitions. The Chiefs need a younger guy with fresher legs who can scramble to buy receivers time to get open. Huard did some of that last year, won enough games to get us a playoff run, and is still having idiots like this John Seibel sling mud at him, calling him crap like "Damon Seward" on the radio.

Our line also comes into play as far as LJ, Priest, and the running game are concerned. Without the great pulling linemen we once had, the outside runs will not be open to us nearly as much. To try to cram LJ up the middle on every play is probably just going to get him hurt and net only about 2 yards every 3 and out. We will need to open up the middle of the field with play-action, screens, quick-outs, and slants. The passing game is going to need to be more prevalent in the Chiefs' offense this year than the previous few seasons. I think the running backs are going to be required to do a lot more than just run the ball well in order for the Chiefs to be successful this year. Priest and Bennet both are better at catching the ball, and picking up the blitz on pass-protection than Johnson. In my opinion, this makes them a better fit at (least on passing downs) for the Chiefs' offensive scheme this season. Assuming the coaches realize that they can't just give their starting back the ball 500 times this year.

And lastly... "SWISS CHEESE" defense!?!?!?!??

All this talk about how Trent is a better fit and these shots taken at our defense by the media makes me think these guys haven't even seen a Chiefs' game since 2003! Our defense is vastly improved from the old "Dickie V" days when we couldn't force the Colts to punt a single time in that particular playoff defeat. Swiss cheese??? The only cheesy hole I see is the 4-year information gap in Stephen A. Smith's analysis.

If these guys are going to get on the radio and talk out their asses like this, they need to at least seem like they have current information. Otherwise they will just continue to make themselves look foolish. Here are the key points I think they missed:

1. Trent Green's numbers have steadily declined over the last few seasons. Unless he found the fountain of youth in the offseason, he will continue to get older and slower. Consequently, Green's stats will continue to decline per year until he retires. Green is an extremely immobile quarterback who needs PERFECT protection -- something the Chiefs can no longer provide him with.

2. As mentioned, Holmes and Bennet are better receivers/blockers than LJ. This will help our offense to be more versatile when versitility may be the only saving grace for our offense and the offensive line.

3. The improvement of the defense. Going from ranked 32nd to 16th is a significant improvement. To not even mention this and simply compare the defense to swiss cheese is ignorant. It makes Stephen A. Smith seem uninformed or biased in his opinion/analysis. I don't know why ESPN has an NBA guy breaking down NFL teams anyway. It seems to me that Smith should be talking about the Donnagey betting scandal well before he should be giving football analysis.
:mad: :firedevil:
I didn't mean to get so long-winded with this but it was getting under my skin and I had to get it off my chest somehow. I don't blame you if you didn't read it all. Well that does it for my rant and the workday both. Time for beer!
:yahoo: :toast2:

Chiefster
07-31-2007, 08:30 PM
I also heard the same garbage being spewed by Stephen A. Smith this morning coupled with comments about how no LJ and the holes in our "swiss cheese" defense spell doom for the Chiefs.

I never listen to those idiots; especially if they don't know enough about the team to realize that the defense has gotten better and will only improve with the off season acquisitions.

m0ef0e
07-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Oh yea, also this morning Smith had to be corrected because he thought the Broncos were a playoff team last year. That alone shows he should not be polluting the air-waves with his ignorant opinion.

Chiefster
07-31-2007, 08:41 PM
Oh yea, also this morning Smith had to be corrected because he thought the Broncos were a playoff team last year. That alone shows he should not be polluting the air-waves with his ignorant opinion.

Talking out of ones butt seems to be an equal opportunity afliction. I agree, if people are going to talk on the radio they should at least know what they're talking about.

DrunkHillbilly
07-31-2007, 08:45 PM
I hate SCREAMIN A SMITH!!!!!! However, sadly, I don't think he nor quite a few other people in the national sports talk world are far off. Let's face it, even with the few changes we have made on D, we have not done much on offense and if you can't score, you can't win. It's gonna be a long season!! I will still cheer every week but have a feeling will be disappointed on most.

Chiefster
07-31-2007, 08:53 PM
I hate SCREAMIN A SMITH!!!!!! However, sadly, I don't think he nor quite a few other people in the national sports talk world are far off. Let's face it, even with the few changes we have made on D, we have not done much on offense and if you can't score, you can't win. It's gonna be a long season!! I will still cheer every week but have a feeling will be disappointed on most.

Agreed; my criticism of them stems from just spouting how unsuccessful we'll be without really even knowing why.

DrunkHillbilly
07-31-2007, 08:56 PM
I know where your comin from but they must know a little if we are agreeing with them. It always hurts to hear someone else bash your team.

Chiefster
07-31-2007, 08:58 PM
I know where your comin from but they must know a little if we are agreeing with them. It always hurts to hear someone else bash your team.

Yeah; I was mainly talkin about the guy who made mention of our "swiss cheese" defense. I don't believe that for one second, but what do I know. :D

m0ef0e
07-31-2007, 09:34 PM
I don't ever expect much from the Chiefs really... I've only been a fan since the mid-90's (about 12 years or so) and I have known no greater disappointment in my short life than some of that associated with being a Chiefs' fan.

I was merely stating what I thought was regular football sense in the fact that our line is weaker which requires other guys to step up and fill other roles. Mix player versatility with some creative play-calling and you get some momentum shifts and probably at least a win or two out of some of the tighter games...

Our D is good enough to keep games close, we don't need our offense to break records. Just score. Huard is more mobile, giving our receivers a chance to still make a play. Even when the line breaks down. Not to metion Priest and Bennet both are better than LJ at picking up a blitz on passing downs -- or catching the ball on a screen for that matter.

The key word is versatility. I see the break-down possibly coming from the coaches still trying to run, run, run LJ into an even earlier retirement. With Priest back, Huard (or Croyle...) under center, and Tony G doin his thing, I think we have enough to make a few plays and put up some points. Especially if the coaches can adapt to some creative playcalling (not run, run, pass mixed with the occasional run, run, run) and one of our receivers gets fairly hot. I'm not saying we will light up the scoreboard, I'm just saying we may see a lot of 9 - 3 or 14 - 6 type of ballgames. I see few teams scoring over 20 on us and our offense probably wont score 20 on anybody.

In those types of games, it all pretty much comes down to just a handful of plays that ultimately determine the outcome. With a little luck...

But all of you know, as Chief fans, that luck is in short supply in KC, it seems...

m0ef0e
07-31-2007, 09:36 PM

SCREAMIN A SMITH! LMAO

Chiefster
07-31-2007, 10:24 PM
I just want 'em to win; don't really care how at this point.

chief31
08-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Smiths opinion of the Chiefs in no more valuable than that of your average New York baseball fans. The fact that he referred to our defense as "swiss cheese" eludes to the idea that he is thinking of a Chiefs team from a couple of years ago.

Chiefster
08-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Smiths opinion of the Chiefs in no more valuable than that of your average New York baseball fans. The fact that he referred to our defense as "swiss cheese" eludes to the idea that he is thinking of a Chiefs team from a couple of years ago.

Yup, he no more keeps up with the Chiefs then he does the lead runner in the New York Marathon.

Coach
08-02-2007, 01:58 AM
Steven A Smith is a sack of ****. Pardon my french. And any radio show that would put him on to get his football views is the same. I don't know why this guy has any credibility. He must have some serious blackmail on Sr. Management at ESPN.

Every time I hear that sack of crap speak, I am reminded of a quote from the movie Billy Madison:

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Chiefster
08-02-2007, 02:00 AM
Steven A Smith is a sack of ****. Pardon my french. And any radio show that would put him on to get his football views is the same. I don't know why this guy has any credibility. He must have some serious blackmail on Sr. Management at ESPN.

Every time I hear that sack of crap speak, I am reminded of a quote from the movie Billy Madison:

I don't think he has any at all.

Did you get your PMs?

Guru
08-02-2007, 02:01 AM
You could have just said "wrong".

Chiefster
08-02-2007, 02:02 AM

:lol::lol:

Coach
08-02-2007, 02:06 AM
What fun is that? Just hearing his name gets me worked up. He thinks his opinion is the gospel and people actually buy it. I just don't get it. He got his own TV show for heavens sakes. How does a sane person arrive at that decision?

Ok, I'll stop.

Guru
08-02-2007, 02:10 AM
What fun is that? Just hearing his name gets me worked up. He thinks his opinion is the gospel and people actually buy it. I just don't get it. He got his own TV show for heavens sakes. How does a sane person arrive at that decision?

Ok, I'll stop.

You did actually see Billy Madison right? :D

Chiefster
08-02-2007, 02:11 AM
You did actually see Billy Madison right? :D

I love that show!

Chiefster
08-02-2007, 02:13 AM

Ok, I'll stop.

Meh! He's an idiot; I can say that cause he's not a member of this board. :D

stlchief
08-02-2007, 02:54 AM
Smith's basketball opinions are so personally slanted as to not even be valuable.

I think according to him the Pistons won again this year.

Football? Idiot.

Chiefster
08-02-2007, 03:55 AM
Smith's basketball opinions are so personally slanted as to not even be valuable.

I think according to him the Pistons won again this year.

Football? Idiot.

Eggzactly!! :D

chief31
08-02-2007, 06:47 AM
I thought it was spelled...Ed Zachary.

Guru
08-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Eh, whatever works.

Chiefster
08-02-2007, 02:23 PM
I thought it was spelled...Ed Zachary.

Eh, whatever works.