PDA

View Full Version : maybe defensive coaching doesn't matter

wubfree
03-13-2009, 11:38 PM
I'd argue Pendergast could be blamed for AZ's loss at the superbowl last year. he's proven he's mediocre...but maybe he'll get lucky w/ the Chiefs. This is cronyism at its finest IMHO but I digress.

****maybe defensive coaching is more about the players and less about the coaching.****

off the top of my head...
Romeo - supposedly good DC but team was fine without him.
Marvin Lewis (good DC, then head coach that couldn't spell D)..and the Ravens were fine without him.
Buddy Ryan...got a lot of credit but had great players
Gunther - was a genius when he had DT and Neil and decent cast down in Tenn. but otherwise pretty average.
the list goes on...

maybe defensive coaching doesn't matter.

AussieChiefsFan
03-13-2009, 11:39 PM
maybe so.

Coach
03-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Arizona's defense did not lose the game. Pittsburgh's defense won it.

Vandelay
03-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Coaching matters, but you've got to have good players also. The Chiefs could have been better the last few years if Herm would have let Gunther run the defense. The coaching change alone will help this defense tremendously. Mix in Vrable, and possibly a high draft pick, I think this will be a much better defense.

tammietailgator
03-13-2009, 11:57 PM
I agree with coach! What brought the Cards to the SB in the first place? It wasn't just the offense. I am very glad to have him.

okikcfan
03-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Coach and Tammie, ya know we're family and I love ya but I have to disagree with ya, I feel with the points the Cards put up had there D done it's job they could have won that game. Granted, the Int towards the end did not help but also he should have never gotten as far as he did. Don't get me worng, I have nothing but faith in the new crew that Pioli has assembled and I have a very good feeling about this next season but I do believe the D played a big part in the Cards loss....

warcrychief
03-14-2009, 12:52 AM
I'd argue Pendergast could be blamed for AZ's loss at the superbowl last year. he's proven he's mediocre...but maybe he'll get lucky w/ the Chiefs. This is cronyism at its finest IMHO but I digress.

****maybe defensive coaching is more about the players and less about the coaching.****

off the top of my head...
Romeo - supposedly good DC but team was fine without him.
Marvin Lewis (good DC, then head coach that couldn't spell D)..and the Ravens were fine without him.
Buddy Ryan...got a lot of credit but had great players
Gunther - was a genius when he had DT and Neil and decent cast down in Tenn. but otherwise pretty average.
the list goes on...

maybe defensive coaching doesn't matter.

So what would you say to Atlanta Caolina and Philly? that they just fell on their faces? He coached great in the playoffs.

No the Refs, reffed them at the end and Pitt just manned up when they had to. None of that was Pendergast's fault. He did his job most of the second half of the SB and kept them in the game.

bigpoppachief
03-14-2009, 01:02 AM

EXACTLY ! I mean whena linebacker runs back the longest play of the game.... It was Steelers D that won that game hands down.

bigpoppachief
03-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Coach and Tammie, ya know we're family and I love ya but I have to disagree with ya, I feel with the points the Cards put up had there D done it's job they could have won that game. Granted, the Int towards the end did not help but also he should have never gotten as far as he did. Don't get me worng, I have nothing but faith in the new crew that Pioli has assembled and I have a very good feeling about this next season but I do believe the D played a big part in the Cards loss....

Yeah but before this season think about the Defense of the cards and you could probably only name one person adn that would of been Wilson but after this season when the guys have been under Pendy for awhile they really showed they are not a joke and the apperance of many good defenders emerged. I think Pendy has a better cast here with KC just needs a few more points I almost wish we could trade down and get a couple late first rounders and go after Lauranitis , Maluga and with another first or early second take a prospect DE then we can fill two needs instead of just one but I will stick with this saying If Curry is at number 3 no questions asked he becomes a chief.

warcrychief
03-14-2009, 01:36 AM
Please read this slowly everyone as it is so true that it hurts as you read it,
Defense Wins Championships!!!!

You better hope your wrong then, because many people think that we didnt get a very good defesive coach in Pendergast. And we have a Offesive minded HC.

KristofLaw
03-14-2009, 02:23 AM
The naming of Mr Pendergast has been a long time coming and is likely the result of the late hirings of our entire team. It seems the Chiefs upper brass had a plan set in place and has been slowly revealing it in a smartly planned fashion. I have thoroughly been enjoying the manner in which Mr Hunt has proceeded this off-season.

I don't know if Pendergast is the right guy for our team, however he has inherited a youthful defense with talent. The football Gods be willing, hopefully he will round that talent into a ferocious beast.

In all likely-hood we will be using a 4-3/3-4 defensive scheme this season and next we will know the face of our D a great deal better. There are still many holes to fill on the roster but the season is in it's infancy and league-wide the Chiefs organization has been given watch.

*The Cardinals were defeated soundly in the end by both an incredible drive and an incredible officiating job by the leagues best points/big game deciding ref.* But, that's only my opinion.

jap1
03-14-2009, 04:14 AM
Im starting to think that the key to a good defense is both players AND a good coaching STAFF. In other words, a good DC is not enough. Im starting to think you need to have really good positional coaches to have a successful defense. If the positional coaches instill proper skills and discipline, usually the D is successful.

The DC calls the plays, which is important. But I feel that defense depends much more on the individuals. If you have really talented athletes that are coached well, then I think they can outplay the offense, even if they have sub-par play calling. Defense is much more of a read and react situation, which means the success is much more in the hands of the players than the choice of plays.

That having been said, I think we have some great positional coaches this year, and a lot of raw talent. A lot of the coaches have been DC at some point, and were known as good positional coaches at some point in their career.

I have hope for our defense.

okikcfan
03-14-2009, 11:32 AM
My point was I do not think the Cards D was up to par, too many missed tackles and at times just chaos. Pioli has never been an HC but I have all the faith in the world that he will assemble a great team of coaches and players for the up coming season, I think Pend could very well be a good fit in KC and God knows we ALL wish him well and I do see us as the AFC West Champs at the end of 2009. I Believe..GO CHIEFS IN 09

wubfree
03-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Dear Coach

w/ all due respect....WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! AZ was up w/ 2 mins to go and AZ needed a stop that they did not get...I am not sure what planet your comment is coming from. again, w/ all due respect, I completely disagree with you.

wubfree
03-14-2009, 12:32 PM
one more point...in an effort to continue this healthy debate...

there are a lot of posters defending the AZ D on how they improve at certain points during the season and how they played big in the playoffs up to the day of the big dance. This is almost like saying "if you exclude the 4th qtr, the Chiefs were a .500 football team over the past 2 seasons." AZ's D was on the field w/ 2 mins to go and a chance to win a championship and they blew it.

KristofLaw
03-14-2009, 01:08 PM

there are a lot of posters defending the AZ D on how they improve at certain points during the season and how they played big in the playoffs up to the day of the big dance. This is almost like saying "if you exclude the 4th qtr, the Chiefs were a .500 football team over the past 2 seasons." AZ's D was on the field w/ 2 mins to go and a chance to win a championship and they blew it.
All due respect, I think those final 2 minutes will go down as another great memory to Steelers and NFL fans alike. It was another of Rothlisbergers heroic moments. He is definitely a HOF prospect as a result of that drive.

wubfree
03-14-2009, 01:53 PM
All due respect, I think those final 2 minutes will go down as another great memory to Steelers and NFL fans alike. It was another of Rothlisbergers heroic moments. He is definitely a HOF prospect as a result of that drive.

I agree that Big Ben is a stud QB - HOF credentials. But I'm pretty sure the AZ D and the mgt, which fired Pendergast, did not take solace in the moral victory of losing to a future HOF QB. The AZ D still blew it, the lead, the Super Bowl. The PITT playcalling was also pretty transparent. Ward had one good leg, and they were throwing to Holmes exclusively. They were mediocre and I'm not sure who to blame but it looks like we are trying to emulate that mediocrity in KC.

Hey. Somebody's got to lose and as a chiefs fan, I get no comfort from acknowledging that we played tough competition and lost. If that's good enough for anybody it'll be another 30 years before the Chiefs go to the SB.

I hope we get lucky. Maybe we get a LB and DE and Pendergast suddenly becomes a defensive genius. I hope so!

slc chief
03-14-2009, 03:22 PM
balanced teams that play good offense and a good defense wins championships. i think that is what pioli and clark are trying to build here is a balanced team.pendergast got his defense to play good during the playoffs when it matterd and that was the reason they made it all the way.i think the game could have gone either way it was a close game

DT14PRIEST
03-14-2009, 06:49 PM

I think it was more Big Ben and the Steeler offense coming through in the clutch then it was Arizona's defense choking at the end. He was clutch all season against top ranked defenses and lead the Steelers to wins in:

Week 4: In OT, game winning drive against the Baltimor Ravens lead the Steelers down field and set up Jeff Reed for the winning 46-yard field goal

Week 5: After falling behind 21-20 in the fourth quarter, Roethlisberger directed the game-winning drive, passing for an eight-yard TD to Hines Ward to put the Steelers ahead

Week 11: Lead the Steelers down field in the last drive of the game against San Diego to set up Jeff Reed to kick a 32-yard field goal

Week 15: Steelers trailed 9-3 in the fourth quarter. After a FG to make it 9-6, the Steelers took over with 3:38 remaining. Roethlisberger led a 92-yard, game-winning TD drive, culminating in a four-yard TD pass to Santonio Holmes for the 13-9 victory

So saying it was all an implosion on the defensive side of the ball may be under estimating Roethlisberger's prowess when the game is on the line

okikcfan
03-14-2009, 09:34 PM

yea well, last years Chiefs could have beaten the AZ D in the final 2 minutes of that game,

:lol:

warcrychief
03-14-2009, 10:02 PM
yea well, last years Chiefs could have beaten the AZ D in the final 2 minutes of that game,

all in all i think it was lack of big game experience. And now that he has that he will only learn.

KristofLaw
03-14-2009, 10:56 PM

The squads aren't complete yet but we'll have to have a look in training camp... see if the O takes down Pendergast's new D. :bananen_smilies046:

okikcfan
03-14-2009, 11:39 PM
The squads aren't complete yet but we'll have to have a look in training camp... see if the O takes down Pendergast's new D. :bananen_smilies046:

Agreed, I am So looking forward to the draft and then spring camp..
:yahoo:

AussieChiefsFan
03-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Agreed, I am So looking forward to the draft and then spring camp..
:yahoo:
only 36 days to go...:yahoo:

chief31
03-18-2009, 02:35 AM
Dear Coach

w/ all due respect....WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! AZ was up w/ 2 mins to go and AZ needed a stop that they did not get...I am not sure what planet your comment is coming from. again, w/ all due respect, I completely disagree with you.

How about an entire game? Not to mention the fact that that TD pass wasn't defendable.

The coverage was as good as anyone could have asked for, and it was a TD anyway.

But, that Defense was garbage, that managed to play well for four games.

They overachieved to reach The Super Bowl. Hard to blame them for not winning it, in my opinion.

AussieChiefsFan
03-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Only 32 Days left 'till the draft!:yahoo: