PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not that impressed?

prough91
03-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I'll say it. I'm not scared.

I haven't been overwhelmed with our off season acquisitions.

I'm not that excited about Cassel. I just feel there should have been more pressing needs dealt with first. There were a lot more weaknesses, in my opinion, that should have been addressed. I would have much rather kept our high second round pick.

I feel like all we have been signing have been a bunch of fringe, special team players.

I also noticed that if anyone even hints on this board that they aren't completely satisfied with all of Pioli's decisions that they are quickly shouted down and sometimes told they are not true Chiefs fans.

Get excited if you want, but I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet.

How do you feel?

Canada
03-16-2009, 01:12 PM

I'm not that excited about Cassel. I just feel there should have been more pressing needs dealt with first. There were a lot more weaknesses, in my opinion, that should have been addressed. I would have much rather kept our high second round pick.

I feel like all we have been signing have been a bunch of fringe, special team players.

I also noticed that if anyone even hints on this board that they aren't completely satisfied with all of Pioli's decisions that they are quickly shouted down and sometimes told they are not true Chiefs fans.

How do you feel?

I personally want to wait until free agency/the draft is over. There is so much specualtion about Pioli/Haley doing the right or wrong things, then people complain that there is no news coming out of Arrowhead.

If there is no news then how can you expect to be happy or unhappy with any of the decisions made. I personally am happy with the Cassel aquisition because we may actually have a QB that will be around (and good) for a while.

As far as the Kool Aid thing, I have decided to step out of it. Far too many people here get bent out of shape because they can't complain about things. You wanna bash your favorite team? Go ahead (no you prough, but some people) I think it is funny to watch some get all up in my face because I choose to not bad mouth my favorite team. I guess if people want to continue with the sad sack bullsh!t then let them go ahead. I watch football because it makes me happy. The day football stops making me happy or the day I start hating on the Chiefs is the day I will stop watching.

prough91
03-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I personally want to wait until free agency/the draft is over. There is so much specualtion about Pioli/Haley doing the right or wrong things, then people complain that there is no news coming out of Arrowhead.

If there is no news then how can you expect to be happy or unhappy with any of the decisions made. I personally am happy with the Cassel aquisition because we may actually have a QB that will be around (and good) for a while.

As far as the Kool Aid thing, I have decided to step out of it. Far too many people here get bent out of shape because they can't complain about things. You wanna bash your favorite team? Go ahead (no you prough, but some people) I think it is funny to watch some get all up in my face because I choose to not bad mouth my favorite team. I guess if people want to continue with the sad sack bullsh!t then let them go ahead. I watch football because it makes me happy. The day football stops making me happy or the day I start hating on the Chiefs is the day I will stop watching.

I'll never hate the Chiefs. I feel some people are a little too enamored with Pioli and Haley. I think Haley was a hell of a sign for a coach, but over 80 of the top 100 fa's have been signed and who do we have?

Canada
03-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I'll never hate the Chiefs. I feel some people are a little too enamored with Pioli and Haley. I think Haley was a hell of a sign for a coach, but over 80 of the top 100 fa's have been signed and who do we have?

I agree with you there, but Clark Hunt said we wont be signing any big name free agents anyways. I am glad we did not go after a Haynesworth type of guy though. I would still like to see some O line/D line signings. They don't have to be multi million dollar players but some guys who can start and contribute would be nice! :bananen_smilies046:

prough91
03-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I agree with you there, but Clark Hunt said we wont be signing any big name free agents anyways. I am glad we did not go after a Haynesworth type of guy though. I would still like to see some O line/D line signings. They don't have to be multi million dollar players but some guys who can start and contribute would be nice! :bananen_smilies046:

That's what I'm hopin' for. It seems to me the vast majority of the Patriots were not so much superstars as just good football players. I'm not giving up hope; I'm just hopin' we're not getting screwed by not signing some of the players that were out there that are signed now.

Canada
03-16-2009, 01:29 PM
That's what I'm hopin' for. It seems to me the vast majority of the Patriots were not so much superstars as just good football players. I'm not giving up hope; I'm just hopin' we're not getting screwed by not signing some of the players that were out there that are signed now.

I guess we will just have to wait until Sept!! :bananen_smilies046:

dbolan
03-16-2009, 01:57 PM
I think there could have been some FA signings that could have helped vs. waiting to see what is left but then again, these guys have had a history of making this a real team sport and filling spots with players that know their role and work hard to achieve as high of a standard as possible.

I am excited and optimistic while understanding that a SB or even and AFC Championship is not yet at the doorstep!

It should be an interesting season, to say the least!

Pro_Angler
03-16-2009, 02:10 PM

How do you feel?

I agree 100% about the kool-aid.. i like pioli but not in the least bit yet sold on Haley...well see.
As far as Cassell everyone here knows I liked Thigpen and yes we needed other positions but more then a QB. I have to say the only reason i am ok with the CAssell deal is that we got some leadership on our D and Cassell for only a 2nd Rd. Anything more i would be very upset.

N TX Dave
03-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Well as far a kool-aid goes I am not drinking any of it but I will wait to see what the team looks like before I start complaining about it. Heck who knows we may have had a world beater of a team last year with the right coaching instead of what we had for coaches. Now I am not saying that we did just that we MIGHT have. Just maybe the new coaches will make a system that will fit the players instead of trying to make the player fit their system. Why not wait and see what the final product is before knocking it becasue it is a work in progress is all I am saying.

tornadospotter
03-16-2009, 03:54 PM
I reserve the right to respond, after some time has gone bye. I will always expect the Chiefs to win! So call me
YouTube - Homer Beer Song

With kool aid beer glasses. :bananen_smilies046:

KottkeKU
03-16-2009, 05:04 PM
I agree...im not 100% sold on Cassel yet. If Pioli was so good at finding gem qb's of the future in the draft, why not draft an Olineman (wouldnt hurt) with no.3 overall, give Thigpen one years worth to prove he can play, and if he isnt what Pioli is looking for, he can give the qb he drafts in this year's class (assuming he takes a qb in the 6th or 7th round this year) a chance at the starting gig the following year...its not like we are going to compete for the superbowl this year or anything...

and i agree about having more pressing needs than QB...that 2nd rounder (34 overall) could have landed us a mighty fine linebacker....which is exactly what NE will do with it...

josh1971
03-16-2009, 05:36 PM
How about some patience? What I'm not totally enamored with these days is this now-now-now mentality that so many folks have. As was said earlier in this thread, I want to watch the *entirety* of free agency, and the draft, and see what other (if any) trades we make, and then kind of evaluate the team on my own.

Still, I could look at our team, think it sucks, and then watch them go 13-3. I just think it's prudent to sit back and let the guys paid to put the team together go and do that. Not every deal or free agent acquisition has to be some blockbuster, big name deal.

Clark hunt even said that the Chiefs wouldn't be rushing out and blowing a bunch of big money on big name free agents.

JB

AkChief49
03-16-2009, 05:40 PM
I hope we do not go big in FA ever! It is my hope that these guys(Pioli,Haley) build from within. Sure, you need to fill a hole here and there, just look at the Faders last year..every free agent they acquired is gone and this year it looks like the Donks are splashing big(or drowning) in FA

NWA Chief
03-16-2009, 06:49 PM
I think Pioli and Haley see that there isn't too much needed to change. Yes the D needs to be better but we were in a lot of games last year. I see them drafting a stud with the No. 3 pick and wait for next years crop to really see what we have as a team before making a FA splash. Even the Patriots spent a little to get Welker, Stallworth and Moss. Honestly I would have like to see Canty come to KC but in due time we will find out what their plans are.

Chiefster
03-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Well said, and I have done my share of griping and complaining about our beloved chiefs, former coaches and former GM. However, this is why I began authoring the "Dark Cloud" and "Silver Lining" threads after each game last year to try and keep the optimists from the pessimists, in an attempt to keep this place from imploding.

DT14PRIEST
03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
I like the signings so far. Not as many as I'd have hoped to see this early but some good ones nonetheless. Special Teams is a key factor of the game, and the Chiefs stunk at it last year ranking 31st overall amongst the NFL. What this means that the Cheifs, on avg, had worse starting field position and gave up good starting field position to every opponent. The signings of Mays and Travis Daniels aren't going to make any headlines, but shoring up a glaring area of weakness can make a tremendous per-dollar impact on the bottom line.

I think people get to caught up thinking of Free Agency as just being a cattle call. They see big names on the Free Agency market and totally disregard the fact that the player still has a right to choose who he goes to. When we see guys like Canty and Olshansky, Bosley and Scott, etc get taken by other teams we have to look at both sides of the argument.

Yea we didn't get them but that doesn't mean we weren't in the running to sign them before they signed with another team. We may have offered them more then what other teams were asking but I doubt it was anywhere near outrageous or enough to make them seriously consider choosing KC over a NY Giants. AS much as we the fans love the Chiefs it doesnt apply to players. They are in a win now league and they took the most money and went to the team that could gaurentee them the best shot of winning a title this year (or in some cases loyalty to a coach).

There are still a lot of guy avalible on the FA market, there is the draft coming up, and then undrafted rookies/FA signings after that. Free Agency is a long process and while me might not get the marquee names that everyone covets we will get guys that can work with our new system. Next month, the Chiefs will get an infusion of talent from the draft. Plus, remaining free agents will have to start lowering their expectations and Pioli should be able to find some cost-efficient solutions for other roster spots. While other teams might be throwing big contracts at the likes of Albert Haynesworth and even elders like Orlando Pace, the Chiefs are staying conservative. For a rebuilding team, the strategy is sound.

I know some people aren't high on Cassel and were high on Thigpen and thats understandable. But on the flipside some weren't high on Thigpen and were high on Cassel so its a case of two varying view points. At the end of the day we have both, we got at least 1 (I think 2) immediate starters, leaders, and proven winners with one draft pick. A good deal IMO. I think the notion that Pioli and Co. just finding these rough diamond late round draft gem QB's is a myth. They were fundamentally sound QBs that didn't recieve much playing time in College but showed enough when they did to warrant consideration to be tutored as a back up in the NFL (Brady behind Bledsoe, Cassel behind Brady) and thats what I believe shaped them for success. I don't think drafting a Rhett Bomar and having him back up and tutored by a Tyler Thigpen and Brodie Croyle breeds the type of success you see in New England with late round QBs even if people think he was a gem.

Anyways, patience is a virtue. We've got 173 more days to go till the start of the season so there a lot of time between now and then to get things done.

N TX Dave
03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
I think Pioli and Haley see that there isn't too much needed to change. Yes the D needs to be better but we were in a lot of games last year. I see them drafting a stud with the No. 3 pick and wait for next years crop to really see what we have as a team before making a FA splash. Even the Patriots spent a little to get Welker, Stallworth and Moss. Honestly I would have like to see Canty come to KC but in due time we will find out what their plans are.

Well from what I have heard Pioli takes after the Big Tuna (Bill Parcels) his daddy-in-law and does not go after the big name free agent in fact the big tuna is so much against it I think that is why he is no longer in big D, Jethro brought in TO against Bills wishes and I think that was the beginning of the end. All we can really do now is wait and see what the product on the field is this year.
Just because the front office has not done everything or something we think they need to do is no reason to start doubting them yet. Heck us Chiefs fans in here disagree on what to do. As an example some wanted to bring TO in and some didn't, it is the same thing with no matter who it is almost.
:11:

warcrychief
03-16-2009, 10:45 PM

How do you feel?

I like how he is going about the team. There are more ways then one to build a team. Free agency is just one way.

Pioli defends Chiefs' strategy to add personnel - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1083795.html)

Here you guys go if your not drinking Kool-Aid yet either.

chief31
03-16-2009, 11:21 PM
I am far from ready to complain. But I can say that I am not impressed.

That's not always a bad thing, when it comes to off-season.

But we are taking a big gamble on Cassel. A very high second round pick is nothing to sneeze at. Especially considering how many holes are on this team.

Having said that, it is still early in the off-season and alot can happen from here to the start of the season.

And it what happens during the season that makes a real difference.

So, even if the off-season appears to go poorly, I can't be too upset, until I see what happens on the field.

DMN
03-16-2009, 11:51 PM
The speculation is always fun... and he offseason stirs up plenty of it. But if you watch the tape on cassel you can see that this guy really can make all the throws. The only reason I am not 100% is our lack of O line and WRs. But as far as the 2nd round pick is concerned I think we got a good deal. A young QB that has proved he can win (I think 11-5 is proof enough in this league) is worth a 2nd... especially if you think about that it could mean in the future. I mean what was our second pick two seasons ago... turk mcbride? (if I got that wrong flame away)

Draft picks are always a risk no matter where they are. I think that we got a leader that can bring good things to this team.

And all I have to say about the pioli and haley deal is.......well....... it could still be peterson and edwards.
But the proof is in the pudding... come on september.

:toast2:

Bike
03-17-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm kinda pissed that Pioli traded away our 34th pick without asking us first!!! I mean, c'mon; I've been a Chiefs fan for 40 years and he just got here!!?? Did we really need a qb? I thought Thig was no worse or better than Cassel. So now we have two decent qb's and glaring holes on OL and on defensive front 7. I realize Vrabel was a nice pickup but not an every-down player and in the twilight of his career.
Having said that I hope Pioli was right and we get these holes filled before opening day...

texaschief
03-17-2009, 01:12 AM

+1

I'm on the wait-and-see holding pattern, myself. That's a big reason I haven't been posting much lately. They said they'd be active with the second tier of free agency and that period has just begun. From what I've read, Haley has just NOW finished his current player evaluations. The next 6 weeks should be active for the Chiefs between trades (Gonzo/LJ/Waters/#3/Dorsey) and free agency.

There's just SO much time between now and the end of the draft for the Chiefs to "impress" me.

I will say this though: I can't get over how HORRIBLE the coaching staff looks. With every coaching signing we made, I found myself having to consciously pull my jaw off the ground and stop shaking my head. Haley is an issue all to himself and I'll trust Pioli on that one. But could we at the very least prop him up with some coaches who were responsible for at least an AVERAGE defense? Both the LB coach and the DC were responsible for AWFUL defenses last season and we bring THEM in. NICE. I wouldn't have minded the offensive minded HC so much if we had Crennel locked up. But, as it is, we get Dick Vermeil/Greg Robinson Part Deux.

I agree...im not 100% sold on Cassel yet. If Pioli was so good at finding gem qb's of the future in the draft, why not draft an Olineman (wouldnt hurt) with no.3 overall, give Thigpen one years worth to prove he can play, and if he isnt what Pioli is looking for, he can give the qb he drafts in this year's class (assuming he takes a qb in the 6th or 7th round this year) a chance at the starting gig the following year...its not like we are going to compete for the superbowl this year or anything...

and i agree about having more pressing needs than QB...that 2nd rounder (34 overall) could have landed us a mighty fine linebacker....which is exactly what NE will do with it...

As far as Cassel and people talking about him being a product of the system in NE, I don't buy that. I think we got INCREDIBLE value with our 2nd round pick. Mock drafts had us taking Sanchez #3 overall. I don't care how big of a risk you think Cassel is with that 2nd round pick, he still isn't anywhere CLOSE to being as big of a risk as Sanchez 32 picks earlier.

IMO, Cassel and Sanchez are close to the same QB. They both played at USC in a pro-style offense. Both are relatively immobile and pocket passers, but one of them has an entire season of starting in the NFL and has proven he can play in this league. THAT'S OUR GUY.

I agree that Thigpen could've been the guy next season, but if they could BOTH be successful in the future offense, seems to me like we've got a very capable backup and have found the answer for two big question marks heading into the off season. Even if Cassel and Thigpen are "system" QB's, they're both going to be playing in the same system together and the system will be run by Haley/Gailey who ran the SAME systems with their teams LAST year.

We, as Chiefs fans may WANT the franchise to go back to "pro-style" offense next season, but it's EXTREMELY hard to argue with:
A) what the Chiefs achieved last season learning on the fly
B) what the Cardinals achieved last season with only 2 receiving threats
C) what the Patriots have achieved running this same-type offense for the last two or three seasons.

For these reasons, I still think it's unwise to rule out a Michael Crabtree pick at #3 and a Wes Welker type WR signing during FA or later in the draft. The Chiefs didn't give up many sacks last season and the new staff might see all they need to in the unit to give them a passing grade for their system. (That's what it looks like thus far, anyway) The Cardinals line was horrible at run blocking, but somehow gave Warner all he needed to take that team to the Super Bowl. I can't see Haley destroying this O-line... although he's not doing it any favors by pissing off the leaders (Waters/Gonzo).

Chiefster
03-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Why such a short reply texas? I act as if you've nothing to say? :D

Nice reply BTW.

AussieChiefsFan
03-17-2009, 06:28 AM
ya........... nice and long. like always:D

Drunker Hillbilly
03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm kinda pissed that Pioli traded away our 34th pick without asking us first!!! I mean, c'mon; I've been a Chiefs fan for 40 years and he just got here!!?? Did we really need a qb? I thought Thig was no worse or better than Cassel. So now we have two decent qb's and glaring holes on OL and on defensive front 7. I realize Vrabel was a nice pickup but not an every-down player and in the twilight of his career.
Having said that I hope Pioli was right and we get these holes filled before opening day...
Cassell has and will continue to prove to be a much better QB than Thigpen will ever be. Decision making being a key!!

prough91
03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Cassell has and will continue to prove to be a much better QB than Thigpen will ever be. Decision making being a key!!

We'll see how good of decisions he can make when he's running his a$$ off.

dbolan
03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
I have not seen a lot of "bashing" of this team by the fans here but I have seen varied, strong opinions over some of the decision making in the past, in which I feel is very applicable..Hence the last couple of pathetic seasons.

Personally, I think this will be one of the "weaker" divisions which will provide a reasonable opportunity to win an AFC West Title but further than that, I doubt it this year. Highly possible next year to seriously complete in the play-offs.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-17-2009, 01:44 PM
We'll see how good of decisions he can make when he's running his a$$ off.
His decision making has already been proven to be better than Thigpens was last year! Just being in the system he was gives him an advantage. You act like he wasn't running his a$$ off last year! He did get sacked 47 times!

Sn@keIze
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm not that excited about Cassel.

How could you not be excited bout having good, competant depth at the QB spot? Whomever starts?

I would have much rather kept our high second round pick.

Say right now that Matt Cassell was in the draft. Do you seriously think that he would make it to the 34th pick?! We got a killer deal!

I understand what your sayin there, but understand this is Piolis way. Like when he built the Pats, it wasnt a bunch of big time players but an all around evenly distriburted talent team.

Let them. I appreciate disagreements. I didnt like Piolis dealing with Waters. I was one of the few that agreed with Waters. And I dont agree with Pendergast either. If anyone says someones not a true Chiefs fan then they are just embarrassing themselves.

heh, Im not drinking the kool aid till I see the Red Coaters hoist the Lombardi trophy again.

How do you feel?Overall. Herm Edwards and CP are gone. There is no reason to not get excited simply by those moves alone.

bigpoppachief
03-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Well even at the end of last eyar I alwasy told people what the Chiefs do good not bad so I am just very optimistic about the greatest team in the world. The thing is it is not just FANS thinking the chiefs are going to do good. Even the analyst think the Chiefs could be a cinderella team and it's not just one guy thinking that. The Patriots was built with people that noone else wanted and that's the approach Pioli is taking. Noone is expecting us to win the superbowl next year but we go 8-8 that is a huge leap in the right direction. Is there some free agents I think we should go after, Yeah I think we should be calling orlando paces agent and see about bringing in some exp on our oline and why not Holt to gives us a good possession WR. I mean they are older guys but what you need on a young team is leadership and that's what Vrabel and Cassell bring, Yes Cassell brings leadership he was QB of the patriots last year with memebers liek Moss and Welker and he earned thier trust if he can do that then there is somethign special about this guy. Im just saying Mcdaniels was willing to guive up Cutler who is a pro bowler so he must know somethign about Cassell. Im just stoked :yahoo:

AkChief49
03-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Well even at the end of last eyar I alwasy told people what the Chiefs do good not bad so I am just very optimistic about the greatest team in the world. The thing is it is not just FANS thinking the chiefs are going to do good. Even the analyst think the Chiefs could be a cinderella team and it's not just one guy thinking that. The Patriots was built with people that noone else wanted and that's the approach Pioli is taking. Noone is expecting us to win the superbowl next year but we go 8-8 that is a huge leap in the right direction. Is there some free agents I think we should go after, Yeah I think we should be calling orlando paces agent and see about bringing in some exp on our oline and why not Holt to gives us a good possession WR. I mean they are older guys but what you need on a young team is leadership and that's what Vrabel and Cassell bring, Yes Cassell brings leadership he was QB of the patriots last year with memebers liek Moss and Welker and he earned thier trust if he can do that then there is somethign special about this guy. Im just saying Mcdaniels was willing to guive up Cutler who is a pro bowler so he must know somethign about Cassell. Im just stoked :yahoo:The last team that went from worst(in their division) to superbowl, was the "other" team from Missouri. That was '99 -this is '09. hey, anything is possible!:D

ktmrider
03-17-2009, 08:12 PM

How do you feel?

I'll say it.

I'm not scared.

I am drinking the kool-aid, and by the gallons baby! I'm even sporting a rock'in kool-aid "stache".......................(in my best kool-aid voice) OH YEAAAAA! Why not get on the Pioli/Haley bandwagon? All the cool kids are doing it. Look at it this way, we could be sitting here complaining about Herm da worm and King Carl for yet another year. But we're not! Thats right, we actually have something to look forward to. Pioli knows what he is doing, and I can guarantee that he knows a he!! of a lot more about the free agents in this league and Cassel than any of us. He will build a winner with the same type of players that he has won with in the past. Just because a player is a "big name" in this league, does'nt necessarily mean he is the "right player" for our team, that's right, TEAM. One of the first things he said when he came here was that he was not looking for pro bowlers, but for the right type of players. The very same type of players that he won a superbowl or two with. Mark my words, Pioli will bring this town a championship!!! END OF STORY!!!! OH YEAAAA! I'll take a couple of more gallons of Kool-aid over hear! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :toast2: :drunkhb:

chief31
03-18-2009, 02:33 AM
I am gonna say this as well
Cuz I aint scared,
prough91 (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/member.php?u=233),
You can take this however you wish to but I am callin you out on this topic. You post something that would be normal of a Carl Petersen ran offseason while we are experiencing a new management team in Pioli and Haley makes me question your devoltion as a Chiefs fan. I can do this because there is no question in my mind what team I am on, I am on the Chiefs as it's biggest fan. You on the other hand do alot od doubting and pissing and moaning about how the Pioli / Haley front office isn't getting players that make you say wow, well so what. If you don't like the choices that they are making then you don't have to like them but the bottom line is everyone else is attempting to become totally posotive abou this change and the days of doubting our front office and coaching staff are over. WE HAVE GOOD PEOPLE NOW! The best thing you can do at this point is jump into the KOOL AID container and take a long a$$ drink of it , kool out a bit and allow the new changes take you away like a calgon bath ! Why all the hate bro? Why can't you just try to get along and forget the bad years that are behind us and be happy go lucky! 2 weeks ago I was doubting and now I see what they are doing and I like it alot, infact I like it a hell of alot more then anything CP did since the death of DT. That IMO was when his leg up on the competition died, it died with DT and I hate to say that. I am a fan of the team since day 1 of my life and I will never change , I will go to my grave a Chief fan. I would like to see you with us but I have my doubts bro. Make me believe in you man , MAKE ME BELIEVE!!!

I love my Chiefs every bit as much as you do.

I love my kids too. But if they do the wrong things, then I can't just stand up and cheer for that. I have to critique.

The fact is that if I didn't care, then I could easily not worry and criticize.

I couldn't care any less about The Washington Redskins, so I don't complain one bit about them.

The fact that someone is on here regularly, talking about the Chiefs' decisions is proof positive that they care about this team.

Rather you agree with what decisions are being made, or not. Expressing your opinion about it regularly shows serious interest.

So, your doubts are off-target. I assure you of that.

okikcfan
03-18-2009, 04:54 AM
I'm glad Clark hired Pioli and Pioli hired Haley and I'm glad they hired Cassell, he's young and with the right coaching he could very well be a great QB someday but I do tend to question some of the older trades. I agree on not spending a boat load of money on a few great players but the older players are only a short term fix though great for leadership. So I might question why, I would never lose my devotion to the Chiefs. I have been with'em for over 22 years and I'll most likely get burried in some thing red the has the words "Kansas City Chiefs" on it. I just hope this is our year to shine, and nothing would please me more than a complete shut out of all afc west games. Right now we are the only stable team in the afc west and I'm Mc Lovin it. Denver fans want to trade Cutler for Cassell, Al Davis is still nuts and will fire his HC after game 3 and San Diego is doing nothing so far so no big change there. So just like every year past, this year I Have Faith In My Chiefs, I want to see, hear and feel Arrowhead rumble once again as they did in years past. So here's to the 09 Kansas City Chiefs, May they kick butt and take names and make us all proud once more.......Thank You, Thank You, lol

warcrychief
03-18-2009, 06:06 AM
Pioli defends Chiefs' strategy to add personnel

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/03/12/23/157-Scott_Pioli_03-13-2009_8J1873LA.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/03/12/23/865-Scott_Pioli_03-13-2009_8J1873LA.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)
DAVID EULITT
Pioli

After making the big strike by trading for quarterback Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel in opening the free-agency period, the Chiefs have mostly watched as other teams spent cash on players.

The sum total of their efforts since the deal with New England are two backups, linebacker Corey Mays and cornerback Travis Daniels.
While their lack of activity hasn’t pleased many Chiefs fans, general manager Scott Pioli is urging patience. He indicated the Chiefs aren’t finished adding pieces.
“We’re only in the beginning stages,” Pioli said. “Player acquisition is not limited to just free-agency, and it’s not just the draft. It could be waiver claims, trades, street free agents. It could be anything we see as an opportunity to help this team get better, whether that’s in the locker room or on the field.
“We’re still in the beginning phase. You can never predict what your opportunities are going to be. We’ll keep at it. There are players out there that can help us.”
In the meantime, players like Mays, Daniels and safety Jon McGraw, who re-signed last week, are part of Pioli’s plan. The Chiefs appear intent on placing a greater value on building their special teams and depth.
That’s where Mays and Daniels fit in. Mays, who agreed to contract terms Thursday, was known mostly for his special-teams play in his four seasons with New England and Cincinnati. Daniels was mostly a reserve in his four seasons with Miami and Cleveland but gives the Chiefs an experienced option to starters Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr.
In 2001, Pioli’s second season assisting Bill Belichick with New England, the Patriots signed 23 free agents. Few were big-money players. Most were imported to either give the Patriots some viable competition for starting positions or to help on special teams.
While Pioli won’t sign 23 players this year, he does appear serious about improving the Chiefs on special teams and providing better competition for starting spots at several positions.
The Chiefs in recent years have awarded starting spots by default at several positions, including quarterback, wide receiver, offensive line and linebacker.
“We’re interested in building the roster spots all the way through the roster.” Pioli said. “Everywhere I’ve been, we’ve used all 53 players. You can only use 45 on game day, but throughout the course of the season you need all of them.”
In addition to Mays and Daniels, the Chiefs had publicly identified visits with three other free agents: Arizona linebacker Clark Haggans, Seattle wide receiver Bobby Engram and Dallas safety Keith Davis.
The re-signing of McGraw probably eliminates the need for Davis. Engram is 36, so the Chiefs don’t appear in any hurry to sign him.
Haggans makes more sense for the Chiefs because of their need for linebackers, even after signing Mays.
“Just because we haven’t signed a player doesn’t mean … different negotiations are in different stages,” Pioli said. “It’s not always up to just us. It’s up to the player, too.”

Pioli defends Chiefs' strategy to add personnel - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1083795.html)

prough91
03-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Cuz I aint scared,
(http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/member.php?u=233) You post something that would be normal of a Carl Petersen ran offseason while we are experiencing a new management team in Pioli and Haley makes me question your devoltion as a Chiefs fan.

So I'm not a devoted fan because I choose to be cautious instead of blindly optimistic?

If you don't like the choices that they are making then you don't have to like them but the bottom line is everyone else is attempting to become totally posotive abou this change and the days of doubting our front office and coaching staff are over.

I am not the only person here who has voiced their doubts about some of the decisions that have been made.

Why all the hate bro?

Um, I haven't called out anyone because I disagreed with somthing they said.

Make me believe in you man , MAKE ME BELIEVE!!!

I don't really know what I am supposed to make you believe.

IMO a true KC Chief fan or any teams fan for that matter only cheers for that 1 team, they don't say that they are partial to other teams nor do they take a negative stand against what the team is doing but more so goes into each new season believing that the team will do the best it can and reach the Superbowl, even if they know it won't happen.

Where have I ever said that I root for any other team? And, Dude, as long as there is football and front offices some people are always going to doubt the decisions they make.

Ya know, I always thought a forum board was a place to come and debate and hear the opinions of others. There have been a lot of things said in here that I didn't agree with, and, in some cases, made me angry. However, I never "called" anyone out for it.

prough91
03-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Basically, you haven't truely answered my main question and reason for calling you out on your post. I questioned your being a true fan of the Chiefs, IMO you have basically answered my questions with questions to avoid answering the main question. I would like you to make me believe that your a true Chiefs fan as I have read alot of negative posts by you towards the Ciefs and the front office and IMO that would mean that you only like the Chiefs to complain about them, however I could be wrong and I wouldn't doubt if you say so, still leaving doubt in my mind. All I would like to see is that you truely are a Chiefs fan and there is one way to do that. I am making a challenge and that would be that neither of us make a negative post or thread regarding the Chiefs no matter what is done until April 2, 2009. I know I can do it but I wonder if you can? I hope you can as I would like to see that you are really part of the Chiefs Fan base, you seem like a decent guy just have alot of negativity flowing when it comes to the KC Chiefs and I know it's hard to change things like that when your used to having bad things happen, but it would be nice to see. I am up for the challenge, are you?:bananen_smilies046:

Lol, dude, if you had been around longer than a month you would have seen I used to stand up for Herm. I don't like the Cassel signing. Know why? I'm a huge fan of Thiggy's. Right or wrong, no matter how much sh!t I catch about it, I just really like Thiggy. I just don't like seeing this board as a place people get bashed on if they have a differing opinion. Do I want to see the Chiefs make a huge turn around? You bet your a$$ I do. Do I feel like they have done the things so far to do that? No. No, I don't. I don't feel like I should have to apologize for my opinions or defend my fandom just because I don't believe (yet) that Pioli and Haley are the second coming. I liked the Haley hiring and said so and a lot of people didn't agree with that. Lets say, hypothetically, Pioli and Haley just run the Chiefs into the ground. Would I be able to say anything negative about them then? I haven't been overly impressed with their FA acquisitions. I stated that fact. For all anyone knows I might be completely right. I hope to God I'm wrong.

dbolan
03-18-2009, 12:06 PM
If people never question motives, tactics, strategies, etc etc, then they are not looking for improvement. They are not leaders and they are not true fans.

Yes, being positive is a great thing to embrace but the "rose colored glasses" have to come off at some point.

I think there have been some good changes and there are some I question.

I think prough91 is looking at things from a different perspective and his ideas/thoughts are put on the table in order to "push" for the best outcome for the team.

If he was not a fan, I really do not think he would bother coming here.

Cheers!

prough91
03-18-2009, 12:17 PM
To be honest, the main reason I started this thread was because I was tired of people getting bashed on because they didn't like the acquisitions that were going on. We should all be able to say what we want, respectfully, and not have to worry about that. I also didn't like giving up such a high second round pick for Cassel. I mean, sh!t, Bono had one good year.

dbolan
03-18-2009, 12:37 PM
To be honest, the main reason I started this thread was because I was tired of people getting bashed on because they didn't like the acquisitions that were going on. We should all be able to say what we want, respectfully, and not have to worry about that. I also didn't like giving up such a high second round pick for Cassel. I mean, sh!t, Bono had one good year.

Some people just cannot handle it when opinions differ from their own or if it "sounds" like you are not a bonafied cheerleader from their perspective.

Don't feel like you are the only one here that gets jumped on for your fandom. I said that the Chiefs may be the best of 4 teams in crappy division this year and it was like I had given someone a double wedgy! LOL!

Funny thing, last night I was thinking about Bono and Grbac and even Montana...It was like we were trying to be the 49'ers...Which is dejavu now because we are trying to be more like the Patriots because we are siging their players and incorporating their system.

In my opinion, we are not creating our own identity...We are simply mirroring someone else's while plucking Pats players, coaches etc. to do it.

Just imagine Vrabel catching a TD pass from Cassell...That play was put on the map more so by the Pats, now they will simply be uniformed in different colors! LOL!

I REALLY hope that some of the Chiefs that were on the "pre-Pioli" roster will shine this year instead of all the ex-Pats players and affliates getting the spotlight.

prough91
03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
the reason i got thrown under the bus here 2 years ago or so is because I bashed herm from the beginning as soon as he said that crap that we are gonna do things different here in KC...no more offensive juggernauts...run run pass punt.....defense defense defense. I already knew what would happen over time, but since I was on it too early and said herm had to go before he even came and rode on him every day I was thrown under the bus. But it is all good. Now prough deserves to be thrown under the bus because of his idiotic comments that we are not taking the right steps thus far. it isnt like we can just draft and trade to get a superbowl team this year?!!?!?! I mean, COME ON!!! Look at where we are coming from. We finally got rid of the old administration....but things cannot completely turn around before our new leader even has HIS FIRST GAME!!!!!Prough, you desever to be thrown under the bus FAR MROE than I did when I wanted Herm out even before his first game.

First, I would really love to go back through your post and fix the atrocious spelling and grammatical errors, but, alas, I have to be to work in thirteen hours. Second, I do not take offense from morons. Tim, do you really have nothing else to do? Are you so sad and pathetic that it actually makes you feel better about yourself to come here again and again just to spout off nonsensical ramblings? Putting that to the side, you really, really need to come to this year's home opener. I know a really big Canadian that is just dying to meet you.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-18-2009, 01:00 PM
I love my Chiefs every bit as much as you do.

I love my kids too. But if they do the wrong things, then I can't just stand up and cheer for that. I have to critique.

The fact is that if I didn't care, then I could easily not worry and criticize.

I couldn't care any less about The Washington Redskins, so I don't complain one bit about them.

The fact that someone is on here regularly, talking about the Chiefs' decisions is proof positive that they care about this team.

Rather you agree with what decisions are being made, or not. Expressing your opinion about it regularly shows serious interest.

So, your doubts are off-target. I assure you of that.
Hmmm, sharing opinions eh?????

Canada
03-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Some people just cannot handle it when opinions differ from their own or if it "sounds" like you are not a bonafied cheerleader from their perspective.

Don't feel like you are the only one here that gets jumped on for your fandom. I said that the Chiefs may be the best of 4 teams in crappy division this year and it was like I had given someone a double wedgy! LOL!

Wanna know the big difference in what you said vs actually making a point?

If you were to say that we need a pass rushing defensive end cause we had the worst sack total in league history then that is a fact and pointing out a need that the Chiefs have.

Saying that we are one of four crappy teams is not a fact. It is not constructive, it is someone bashing on the Chiefs for no apparent reason other than to say the Chiefs suck.

I have never gotten on anyones case about comments that are true or constructive, but I have always had something to say about people who mindlessly bash the Chiefs. And here you are again, fighting for your right to bash your favorite team!! :sign0098:

ktmrider
03-18-2009, 01:29 PM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/03/116.jpg (http://www.clipartof.com)

pbatrucker
03-18-2009, 01:30 PM
I can't see how anyone can be diappointed in the chiefs off season. After all CP is gone, at the least we have hope. Weather that hope is fullfilled, we'll just have to wait and see.
Am I suprised we haven't signed at least a starting center and a starting DE, you bet.
On the other hand I believe our other transactions have been smart football decsions. Varbel is a proven starter and will be a very good leader and mentor for our defense. Engram will give us another solid reciever and good mentor for D. Bowe. Cassel gives us two good young QB's, hopefully competing for the starting job.
All the other players signed gives us depth and all are very good special teams players. Better field position makes us better on offense and defense.
Paoli has a proven track record at building TEAMS, we have too trust that he can do that for the chiefs.
I don't believe any of the really good coaches in the history of the NFL have been NICE people when thier teams and players weren't performing. They got in players and coaches faces and got thier oints across. I believe Haley is cut from the same mold. We've had Vermel, who gave us a great offense and no defense and Edwards, who gave us no offense, no defense and no special teams, both nice guys and could't get the job done. WE've got new management and they're going to do things thier way. Let's give them our support and belive in thier way and hopefully they can turn the Chiefs into consistant Super Bowl contenders.
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

jmlamerson
03-18-2009, 01:30 PM

How do you feel?

The reason is because Pioli's only two months into the job. He inherited a team with needs at every position. A team like the Redskins could sign a guy like Haynesworth to a massive contract and say, with a straight face, that they're only one player away. We could have blown our entire cap on expensive, mediocre free agents, even good ones like Bart Scott, Jason Brown, Canty, etc., and it wouldn't have gotten us anywhere.

We can only draft one guy per draft pick, by the way. And odds are 1 in 2 that he'll bust. We got two starters (our QBOTF and defensive captain no less) with ours this year. It's the best move the Chiefs have made in the past dozen years.

In the past two months we've bolstered our depth, our special teams, our QB position, our LBs, and our WR corps. And we did it all for a 2nd round pick and for less than they cost of signing Bart Scott. What is there not to like so far?

Drunker Hillbilly
03-18-2009, 01:32 PM
The reason is because Pioli's only two months into the job. He inherited a team with needs at every position. A team like the Redskins could sign a guy like Haynesworth to a massive contract and say, with a straight face, that they're only one player away. We could have blown our entire cap on expensive, mediocre free agents, even good ones like Bart Scott, Jason Brown, Canty, etc., and it wouldn't have gotten us anywhere.

We can only draft one guy per draft pick, by the way. And odds are 1 in 2 that he'll bust. We got two starters (our QBOTF and defensive captain no less) with ours this year. It's the best move the Chiefs have made in the past dozen years.

In the past two months we've bolstered our depth, our special teams, our QB position, our LBs, and our WR corps. And we did it all for a 2nd round pick and for less than they cost of signing Bart Scott. What is there not to like so far?
Be carefull! The Thigpen lovers will be comin outta the wood works to say he is better and will have a better career than Cassell!!!:lol:

prough91
03-18-2009, 01:33 PM

So, other than Cassel and Engram, you think it's great all we've been picking up is special team players?

jmlamerson
03-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Be carefull! The Thigpen lovers will be comin outta the wood works to say he is better and will have a better career than Cassell!!!:lol:

People who think that either didn't watch enough Chiefs games last year, or didn't watch enough Pats games last year.

I like Thigpen as our backup and as a gadget guy. Maybe even as a slot receiver some downs. But people who think that he's going to be a better QB than Cassel need to watch more gametape.

Canada
03-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Cuz I aint scared,
prough91 (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/member.php?u=233),
You can take this however you wish to but I am callin you out on this topic. You post something that would be normal of a Carl Petersen ran offseason while we are experiencing a new management team in Pioli and Haley makes me question your devoltion as a Chiefs fan. I can do this because there is no question in my mind what team I am on, I am on the Chiefs as it's biggest fan. You on the other hand do alot od doubting and pissing and moaning about how the Pioli / Haley front office isn't getting players that make you say wow, well so what. If you don't like the choices that they are making then you don't have to like them but the bottom line is everyone else is attempting to become totally posotive abou this change and the days of doubting our front office and coaching staff are over. WE HAVE GOOD PEOPLE NOW! The best thing you can do at this point is jump into the KOOL AID container and take a long a$$ drink of it , kool out a bit and allow the new changes take you away like a calgon bath ! Why all the hate bro? Why can't you just try to get along and forget the bad years that are behind us and be happy go lucky! 2 weeks ago I was doubting and now I see what they are doing and I like it alot, infact I like it a hell of alot more then anything CP did since the death of DT. That IMO was when his leg up on the competition died, it died with DT and I hate to say that. I am a fan of the team since day 1 of my life and I will never change , I will go to my grave a Chief fan. I would like to see you with us but I have my doubts bro. Make me believe in you man , MAKE ME BELIEVE!!!

So Chris, what makes you the biggest Chiefs fan? Haing doubts does not make you a worse or better fan. There is nothing wrong with questioning the direction of the team. Prough does not mindlessly bash the team like some people do. Those are the fans that you should be questioning. Why wouldnt people question a team that went 2-14 last year. Some of us are more optimistic than others and it does not make anyone better fans than the other. If people dont question things then nothing ever gets changed but you picked the wrong guy to call out being a Chiefs fan. I have known Prough for a couple of years and he bleeds just as red as the next Chiefs fan. I would watch who you call out before you end up looking like an a$s. :bananen_smilies046:

jmlamerson
03-18-2009, 01:41 PM
So, other than Cassel and Engram, you think it's great all we've been picking up is special team players?

We've picked up two starting ILBs in Vrabel and Biesel.

We've picked up our QBOTF in Cassel.

We've rounded out our WR corps with Engram and Copper.

We've upgraded our special teams (majorly).

We've upgraded our entire coaching staff.

Yeah, we've had a good two months. And we still have a an entire offseason and draft to go.

We could have outbid Washington, Baltimore, the Jets, the Giants, the Cowboys and the rest for 5-6 FAs and used all our cap space. And that would have gotten us 4 or 5 more wins.

That isn't how good teams are built. Pioli's way is.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Really? Are these the only two people that will make a difference we have added to our team? I guess you were satisfied with the special teams last year eh? The coaching staff was impressive too I might add. The GM, outstanding!!!

Bike
03-18-2009, 01:45 PM
I still think trading away our 34th pick wasn't the thing to do at this time. But thats my opinion. I don't know what Pioli has up his sleeve. Maybe he's planning on getting it back somehow. Either trading down from our 1st pick or packaging Waters/Thig/Gonzo in some way to aquire picks. But I will say this. If Pioli doesn't get our 2nd pick back somehow, I think trading our 34th was a mistake. I guess its time for me to get thrown under the bus...

prough91
03-18-2009, 01:47 PM
We've picked up two starting ILBs in Vrabel and Biesel.

We've picked up our QBOTF in Cassel.

We've rounded out our WR corps with Engram and Copper.

We've upgraded our special teams (majorly).

We've upgraded our entire coaching staff.

Yeah, we've had a good two months. And we still have a an entire offseason and draft to go.

We could have outbid Washington, Baltimore, the Jets, the Giants, the Cowboys and the rest for 5-6 FAs and used all our cap space. And that would have gotten us 4 or 5 more wins.

That isn't how good teams are built. Pioli's way is.

First, it's Beisel and Cooper. Secondly, our special teams was the least of our worries last year. I might sound selfish, but, right now, I would take 4 or 5 more wins. Beisel only had 15 tackles last year, I would hardly call that shoring up.

Canada
03-18-2009, 01:47 PM
I still think trading away our 34th pick wasn't the thing to do at this time. But thats my opinion. I don't know what Pioli has up his sleeve. Maybe he's planning on getting it back somehow. Either trading down from our 1st pick or packaging Waters/Thig/Gonzo in some way to aquire picks. But I will say this. If Pioli doesn't get our 2nd pick back somehow, I think trading our 34th was a mistake. I guess its time for me to get thrown under the bus...

Wwon't know if the trade was good until Cassel gets onto the field so there is no point in arguing it. As far as throwing you under the bus...

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/03/117.jpg

jmlamerson
03-18-2009, 01:51 PM

I just don't get why people think like you do. Who do you think we could have gotten in the 2nd round that would equal the value we got from the trade? We got our captains for both sides of the ball. Both are proven winners. We had a 50% chance of busting on our 2nd round pick.

I don't mean to sound mean or anything, but sometimes I think our whole fanbase was brainwashed by Herm/CP into thinking that draft picks are more valuable than good players. Teams like the Pats have never been shy about trading picks for players when they get good value for the pick. And that's what we did.

How do we ever expect to win games relying on a bunch of rookies that get traded, who leave as soon as FA hits, or who demand to be massively overpaid to stay? Because that was the pre-Pioli state of things.

Bike
03-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Wwon't know if the trade was good until Cassel gets onto the field so there is no point in arguing it. As far as throwing you under the bus...

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/03/117.jpg
:bananen_smilies046: :bananen_smilies046: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope the reason I'm there is due to a healthy intake of some adult beverages.
But, yeah. I hope I'm completely and utterly wrong and Cassel is the qb that brings us the trophy. But we need our 2nd round pick back IMO...

Canada
03-18-2009, 01:55 PM
:bananen_smilies046: :bananen_smilies046: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope the reason I'm there is due to a healthy intake of some adult beverages.
But, yeah. I hope I'm completely and utterly wrong and Cassel is the qb that brings us the trophy. But we need our 2nd round pick back IMO...

I would love to have that pick back too but I dont mind trading it for cassel.

Bike
03-18-2009, 01:57 PM
I just don't get why people think like you do. Who do you think we could have gotten in the 2nd round that would equal the value we got from the trade? We got our captains for both sides of the ball. Both are proven winners. We had a 50% chance of busting on our 2nd round pick.

I don't mean to sound mean or anything, but sometimes I think our whole fanbase was brainwashed by Herm/CP into thinking that draft picks are more valuable than good players. Teams like the Pats have never been shy about trading picks for players when they get good value for the pick. And that's what we did.

How do we ever expect to win games relying on a bunch of rookies that get traded, who leave as soon as FA hits, or who demand to be massively overpaid to stay? Because that was the pre-Pioli state of things.
Thats all well and good if Cassel proves to be THAT much better than Thig. Its just an opinion.
Now step on the gas pedal....

jmlamerson
03-18-2009, 01:58 PM
First, it's Beisel and Cooper. Secondly, our special teams was the least of our worries last year. I might sound selfish, but, right now, I would take 4 or 5 more wins. Beisel only had 15 tackles last year, I would hardly call that shoring up.

It's probably not a good idea to correct other people's misspellings. That sort of thing always gets turned around on you. And it is Terrance Copper, not Cooper. Check your work before correcting other people.

Terrance Copper Stats, News, Photos - Kansas City Chiefs - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5799)

Beisel only started towards the end of the year, which is why his tackles aren't that high. He's a better LB than any we had on the roster last year not named DJ.

The difference between us is that you'd be happy with a team winning 7-8 games a year, and that's it. Your plan is a road to mediocrity.

Canada
03-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Oh man, now there is a grammar war!!

jmlamerson
03-18-2009, 02:02 PM

I hate it when people correct other people's spellings/grammar on a message board. Especially if they, like prough91, don't know what they're talking about.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-18-2009, 02:03 PM
He can't even spell his name right!!! Isn't it "pro" not prough? :11: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Bike
03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
I would love to have that pick back too but I dont mind trading it for cassel.
Well I won't argue too much with a fellow Chiefs fan that loves beer even more than myself. But I thought we already had a qb and had needs elsewhere that could've been adressed with that 34th pick...
But like I said, I hope I'm wrong and Pioli is right. After all, he gets paid to know this stuff.

Canada
03-18-2009, 02:06 PM
I hate it when people correct other people's spellings/grammar on a message board. Especially if they, like prough91, don't know what they're talking about.

you both spelled a name wrong and are fighting about it. Its kinda funny. And just because he does not agree with you does not mean he does not know what he is talking about.

Canada
03-18-2009, 02:07 PM
what you dont understand is that cassel also has trade value..and even pigpen, i mean, thigpen, has some trade value. So we can always use the "other" qb as leverage to get a player we need if that scenerio takes place.THE TRADE FOR CASSEL WAS A GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT RISK!!! HANDS DOWN.

These are the dumba$ses i am referring to.

Sn@keIze
03-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Who cares if you mispell or forget a punctuation...as long as people get your point.

Each post isnt an essay that the mods are critiquing.

I think I misspelled critiquing!! oh god....they are going to take rep!!!

Bike
03-18-2009, 02:17 PM
what you dont understand is that cassel also has trade value..and even pigpen, i mean, thigpen, has some trade value. So we can always use the "other" qb as leverage to get a player we need if that scenerio takes place.THE TRADE FOR CASSEL WAS A GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT RISK!!! HANDS DOWN.
Thats a good point. I think both guys want to be starters in the NFL. Haven't heard Thig address the media his thoughts on the Cassel trade. If he wants to be a starting qb though, he might want to consider asking Pioli to trade him. Or Pioli might trade him outright anyway. Who knows. But if Thig is content on sitting on the sidelines watching Cassel, thats cool, too. Then we have two good starting qb's on our roster. Something we didn't have last year. Time will tell if it was worth our 34th pick....

jmlamerson
03-18-2009, 02:17 PM
you both spelled a name wrong and are fighting about it. Its kinda funny. And just because he does not agree with you does not mean he does not know what he is talking about.

He corrected me about spelling Terrance Copper's name. He was wrong about that. He did not know what he was talking about.

N TX Dave
03-18-2009, 02:30 PM

But what did we get for that 2nd round pick traded away? We got what most people think is a good QB and a starting LB for a couple of years could we have got one player that was for sure as good with that pick? How many 2nd round picks end up being busts in the NFL? For the last 10 years the Chiefs have got very little with their 2nd round pick. I think it was a good trade at least with the QB we know he can play in the correct system that is more than we can say for any draft pick plus we also got a LB for a couple of years that we know is a good team leader.

dbolan
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Wanna know the big difference in what you said vs actually making a point?

If you were to say that we need a pass rushing defensive end cause we had the worst sack total in league history then that is a fact and pointing out a need that the Chiefs have.

Saying that we are one of four crappy teams is not a fact. It is not constructive, it is someone bashing on the Chiefs for no apparent reason other than to say the Chiefs suck.

I have never gotten on anyones case about comments that are true or constructive, but I have always had something to say about people who mindlessly bash the Chiefs. And here you are again, fighting for your right to bash your favorite team!! :sign0098:

Far from bashing but that is your opinion. Now, can you please quit following me around?

Canada
03-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Far from bashing but that is your opinion. Now, can you please quit following me around?

Sure thing old man, I am following you around!! I have post almost 9000 times on this site and you have posted 200. who is following who?

SDChief09
03-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Completely disagree...these are good signings, and special teams is a big aspect of a football game...Engram will teach Bowe etc how to be a vet...even Franklin may learn the most from him.

Copper, has talent, and puts another body on the roster.

Cassel, as Engram stated, has all the ability in the world at QB....And if he busts....its a 14 mil dollar move that really...helps us most with the cap space we dont want to spend on trash FA's

I dont believe in signing known FA's just due to the name...these guys will be a 1-2 year fix, simple...this team has holes, DEPTH holes...

this came from poor drafting, if they continue to draft poorly, they wont get starters....they will do what Vermeil did...not even draft depth, or Edwards, only draft depth.

texaschief
03-18-2009, 06:23 PM

The trade was a great trade. You're right. There isn't A player that is going to be available at #34 that will present as much VALUE as Cassel/Vrabel did. The pure VALUE the Chiefs received with that pick is EXACTLY what the draft is about.

Well I won't argue too much with a fellow Chiefs fan that loves beer even more than myself. But I thought we already had a qb and had needs elsewhere that could've been adressed with that 34th pick...
But like I said, I hope I'm wrong and Pioli is right. After all, he gets paid to know this stuff.

To continue with what I was saying, the draft is about VALUE. NOT NEED. Once you start cornering yourself with need, you end up destroying your entire draft. The Chiefs don't necessarily have a NEED at LT, but the value they would get by drafting a LT #3 COULD be better than the value they'd receive by taking a non-rushing LB.

(For the record, I'm officially OFF the Curry bandwagon. I was torn between him and a LT, but I've decided that taking a non-rushing LB #3 overall is insane. If he were a Derrick Thomas or Shawn Merriman, that would be one thing, but he's not. He's a REALLY good Lance Briggs or Bart Scott. Just not worth the #3 overall.)

This might be a difficult concept to grasp. In fact, even most of the talking heads can't comprehend the idea, but you can't go into the draft identifying players to fill holes. That would be cheating your team.

jmlamerson
03-18-2009, 06:32 PM
(For the record, I'm officially OFF the Curry bandwagon. I was torn between him and a LT, but I've decided that taking a non-rushing LB #3 overall is insane. If he were a Derrick Thomas or Shawn Merriman, that would be one thing, but he's not. He's a REALLY good Lance Briggs or Bart Scott. Just not worth the #3 overall.)

I agree. It wouldn't break my heart or anything if we did get Curry, but he isn't the best value with the 3rd pick. Too much money for the LB spot.

I'm not normally a guy who thinks we can trade down, but we might be able to if Curry is on the board at 3. If we can trade the pick to 5 (Browns), 9 (Packers), or 14 (Saints) and pick up a 2nd, that would be pretty perfect. I think all three of those teams would love to have Curry, especially given the Browns and Packers move to the 3-4 this year.

With the lower pick, we could either take Maualuga at ILB, Raji at DT, or the best OL on the board, plus we would get the extra pick or two.

DT14PRIEST
03-18-2009, 07:23 PM

I think when you can sign impact players for pennies on the dollar and have them greatly improve one of the three phases of the game it makes sense. Lets not rule out the importance of Special Teams in a football game.

The Chiefs ranked 31st overall in Special Teams compared to the rest of the league (I think I said this before but I'm long winded). If you look at it like that then the Chiefs gave every opponent they faced better field position and put themselves in a whole with worse field position on every possession. This in turn affects the productivity of both the Defense and the Offense by either having to defend the short field to the endzone or go the distance to score.

The Chiefs have been getting impact players for cost efficient contrarcts to shore up a glaring weakness (Special Teams) which affects all aspects of the game while also adding depth to the roster and competition amongst players for starting roles. These names may not be headliners but they are vital roles to fix what was once a strength that has now become a weakness.

I think most of this dissaproval for some fans stems from 2 sources:

1) Cassel Trade (means Thigpen's on the out)
2) No "Super Star" accquisitions (no Ray Lewis)

I'll debate that later so you all don't got swamped in a wall of text

:11:

TheLateGreat#58Fan
03-18-2009, 07:37 PM
I can tell some of you are worried about Curry at Number 3. I'm not going to try and change your mind, but atleast factor in Curry as a leader. They have talked numerous time about his maturity and as him being a real leader on the field-someone who makes other accountable. This defense needs that, I realize we have Vrabel but he isnt young.

Ideally we could trade down though and still get one of these guys we are talking about and an additional pick.

NWA Chief
03-18-2009, 07:41 PM
I agree with DT14Priest. I think these signings will benefit more than everyone thinks. When we had Beisel before, we were pretty good on Special Teams, and I'm not saying he was the only reason but he did help. I'm glad we got Engram. He will help, no matter what the age is. He will be a teacher to DBowe if nothing else. People don't realize that we don't need 2 impact players on our defense like Ray Lewis and Haynesworth. Get over the fact that we didn't get em. Enjoy the team we got bro

Canada
03-18-2009, 08:16 PM
So basically your saying that I have no right to do what I did? I would beg to differ. I called him on it, he answered the call and we delt with it between ourselves but you had to stick your tongue on the metal pipe. Please don't thnk of me as a fool when you basically made a fool of your own self for looking for a ***** to gripe about. What I said had nothing to do with you, so put that in your pipe buddy. No hard feelings though , I would still give ya a beer ;):sign0098:

No you don't have the right to questons people fandom because you don't agree with them. He was not bashing the team and you jumped down his throat for no reason saying he is not a fan. I don't want to get into it again about this same old sh!t. You wanna call people out then go ahead but we will see who is leading the charge of the "Real Fans" when we get to Arrowhead!!

Canada
03-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Yup, I started it all

Why so much hate? - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7529)

Drunker Hillbilly
03-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Yup, I started it all

Why so much hate? - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7529)
Wuss!!!!!:yahoo:

chief31
03-18-2009, 10:02 PM
I don't know if you noticed that my statement was directed at prough91 (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/member.php?u=233) and not yourself, however I am left to wonder if you are his defense or lawyer, councilor or whatever you wish to call it? I would like him to answer directly but your statement was noted duely. Thanks for caring yourself, however the fact that someone visits a site and posts quite as often as he does , doesn't make him a true blue fan of the KC Chiefs. IMO a true KC Chief fan or any teams fan for that matter only cheers for that 1 team, they don't say that they are partial to other teams nor do they take a negative stand against what the team is doing but more so goes into each new season believing that the team will do the best it can and reach the Superbowl, even if they know it won't happen. I realize that may seem unrealistic but fact is I have cheered for no other team in the NFL unless it benfited them winning and putting the Chiefs into the playoffs or something to that nature.I still stand by my statement and would like to hear his feelings on the matter as everytime I come here latel,y it seems as though he is constantly doubting the new management and not believing in anything the Chiefs are doing. For this reason I call prough91 (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/member.php?u=233) out and nobody else. I am glad to see that we have people that stick up for others and I would also like to state that I in no way hold any resentment towards you for doing what you did chief31,
Have a great day today and a better one tommorow my friend :D :bananen_smilies046:

Look at it this way...

If you call someone fat, in a room full of fat people, others may feel a bit offended.

Since you challenged Prough's loyalty, based on his negative outlook, others with a negative outlook may feel challenged as well.

Challenging anyone's fandom is not a good idea. It never turns out well around here.

Because you insenuate that you are the "true blue" fan, and those who agree with your target are "fake".

Let me explain something to you.

You are not the high authority on what it means to be a fan.

You are in no position to "call out" another's fandom. You are not a better fan than anyone else.

You got me to respond to you, because you insulted me. Rather you meant to, or not.

the reason i got thrown under the bus here 2 years ago or so is because I bashed herm from the beginning as soon as he said that crap that we are gonna do things different here in KC...no more offensive juggernauts...run run pass punt.....defense defense defense. I already knew what would happen over time, but since I was on it too early and said herm had to go before he even came and rode on him every day I was thrown under the bus. But it is all good. Now prough deserves to be thrown under the bus because of his idiotic comments that we are not taking the right steps thus far. it isnt like we can just draft and trade to get a superbowl team this year?!!?!?! I mean, COME ON!!! Look at where we are coming from. We finally got rid of the old administration....but things cannot completely turn around before our new leader even has HIS FIRST GAME!!!!!Prough, you desever to be thrown under the bus FAR MROE than I did when I wanted Herm out even before his first game.

That is a bold-faced lie.

Even Hermhater himself was not expressing disdane for Herm here before I. And I hated it the day I was informed of the trade that brought Herm here.

But, by some act of special treatment, you got ousted, while I didn't.

Oh, wait. I think your first banning came from me.

But how did I become a Mod with such an anti-Herm attitude?

You were banned because you are rude, selfish and inconsiderate. Not to mention you deliberately defied the rules of the site.

If memeory serves, it was you who graced us with a link to the 2girls video.

Quite the class act.

Now, unless you want me to post all kinds of your personal info all across the internet...

Get lost!!!

Because you don't build a team full of QBs.

I'll go further in a sec...

The trade was a great trade. You're right. There isn't A player that is going to be available at #34 that will present as much VALUE as Cassel/Vrabel did. The pure VALUE the Chiefs received with that pick is EXACTLY what the draft is about.

To continue with what I was saying, the draft is about VALUE. NOT NEED. Once you start cornering yourself with need, you end up destroying your entire draft. The Chiefs don't necessarily have a NEED at LT, but the value they would get by drafting a LT #3 COULD be better than the value they'd receive by taking a non-rushing LB.

This might be a difficult concept to grasp. In fact, even most of the talking heads can't comprehend the idea, but you can't go into the draft identifying players to fill holes. That would be cheating your team.

Drafting for league value is ridiculous. You are drafting for value to your team.

You don't use the 34th, overall, pick for a back-up QB.

Now, what we have done, unless we trade one of the two, is to diminish the league value of either Thig, or Cassel.

Both were young upcoming starting QBs. A very high-demand product around the leage.

Now, we have one starter, and a back-up.

Whichever (Thig) is plunged into the backup role loses a ton of league value.

But, back to the team value concept...

With the 34th pick we could have gotten a key piece to building a strong football team that we don't already have.

Vrabel is a stop-gap. And Cassel is redundant.

That is poor value to this team.

If it were a team that didn't already have a hot young QB prospect, then the value is better for that team.

But it is poor value to this team.

I despise the notion of drafting the BPA, because we aren't building some other team. We are building this one.

That's why we do not draft Darren Mcfadden, if he is made available in this years draft.

We need O-line and D-line, very badly. Anything else is really hard to judge, due to the lack of line play on both sides of the ball.

By using the 34th pick on a position that was already filled, we have hampered our ability to fill the most glaring needs of THIS team.

NOW...

I know all of that sounds strongly anti-Cassel. But I am not.

I need to bold this, to ensure that it is seen prior to responses...

I believe that Cassel is a btter QB than Thigpen.

I'll even go so far as to say that I think Thigpen is kind of a bad QB. But he played well last season.

ANd because of that opinion, I am not strongly against the trade.

But I definitely feel like Thigpen was more than good enough, and had earned a real opportunity to prove himself here.

And that forcing him into a backup role is a lack of league value, as well as team value.

Especially when sacrificing such a valuable tool for building a team.

With my opinion of Cassel/Thigpen and my feelings about the teams needs/value, I am left with a lukewarm dislike for the trade.

DT14PRIEST
03-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Funny thing, last night I was thinking about Bono and Grbac and even Montana...It was like we were trying to be the 49'ers...Which is dejavu now because we are trying to be more like the Patriots because we are siging their players and incorporating their system.

In my opinion, we are not creating our own identity...We are simply mirroring someone else's while plucking Pats players, coaches etc. to do it.

Just imagine Vrabel catching a TD pass from Cassell...That play was put on the map more so by the Pats, now they will simply be uniformed in different colors! LOL!

I REALLY hope that some of the Chiefs that were on the "pre-Pioli" roster will shine this year instead of all the ex-Pats players and affliates getting the spotlight.

I still don't see the logic in the the argument revolving around the 'Kansas City Patriots' dilemma that some people are all of a sudden worried about. As far as I know, Scott Pioli was the VP of Player Personnel, meaning he was not directly involved in the play calling in New England, merely he was an integral part in finding and retaining good football players for the team.

That's it.

Now that the year is up and his tenure in New England is over and he was appointed the GM of the Kansas City Chiefs its hard to find fault in him signing players he is familiar with from a previous team; ones he's scouted and approved of before coming here.

It makes practical sense.

It shouldn't who gets the limelight in KC. The spot light is for Madonna's, TO's, and Jay Cutlers, the players we don't need. What I want is for the 'pre Pioli' and the 'Pioli' guys to shine as a team and win, no matter what it looks like. Trying to emulate success isn't a bad thing. I don't see why we'd try something out of left field and hope it works, or develop some ill contrived 'system identity' (Marty Ball etc.)

There are only 2 identites in sports: Winners and Losers, and as of last season we were losers. I'm more then ready to be a winner again, even if it does mean copying some of what another team has done. Like every analyst says about the NFL, this is a copy cat league, a win now league.

dbolan
03-19-2009, 10:57 AM
No you don't have the right to questons people fandom because you don't agree with them....

You should practice what you preach....9,000 posts or not.

Pot meet Kettle.

Canada
03-19-2009, 01:04 PM
You should practice what you preach....9,000 posts or not.

Pot meet Kettle.

A public apology is not enough for you now? grow up

Bike
03-19-2009, 11:04 PM
IMO this is just a bad thread.It brings out the negativity in all of us and not all of us are interested in the negative issues even if it is an important thing to deal with. The fact is that it is starting fights between people and it is causing people to lash out at each other over what? The fact that one person isn't happy because Pioli isn't spending all of our cap money on 1 or 2 people but instead he is getting us people that aren't big names but can help turn our team around. Yes, Prough can feel the way he does he has that right, I may have been over the line a little when I questioned his fandom but the truth is wether some of you like it or not, I feel I have the right to question anyones fandom because I have never questioned my own. The first gift I got as a new born child was a KC Chiefs banner from the Super Bowl 1 game between GB and KC, I have red and gold blood and I will always be in my mind the universes biggest KC Chief fan. I know this post will spawn a bunch of haters ready to rip my guts out because they feel that they are bigger fans then I am, I am glad you feel that way as if you didn't, I would question your fandom as well. Take it for what it's worth, a grain of salt and just live with the fact that people will question your very being if you don't exume the qualities they seem fit to be what youcall yourself.
pCe out.
I really don't think this site was brought to us to decide who the biggest Chiefs fan is. (Please correct me mods if i'm incorrect.) We are all Chiefs fans or we wouldn't take the time to post here. Differing opinions on what will get us to the SB is what makes this site great. Attacking members 'fandom' or rating your 'fandom' on a scale vs other members is simply childish. If you are indeed the universes' biggest Chiefs fan, you wouldn't have to remind us. We would already know.

dbolan
03-20-2009, 12:19 AM
A public apology is not enough for you now? grow up

You telling me to grow up! LMAO! Too funny from a man with a painted face! You do have a good sense of humor..I think? :bananen_smilies046:

Bike
03-20-2009, 01:09 AM
The only way anyone can know wether or not I am or I am not is if I tell you. If I don't tell you then you feel you are. LMAO who frackin cares man, the point is this thread sucks and has been starting skirmishes since it was posted IMO. Like I said before, if you feel the need to tell me or anyone else that I am wrong thats a good thing and thanks for calling me childish since I plan on never growing up. Oh, wait you was insulting me as you feel you have already grown up (sorry to hear that. Loosin up, learn to have some fun and quit trying to be right all the time for Gods sake, it never hurts to be wrong , even if you don't mean to be LOL.
I was happy to see prough post this thread as I agree with him as far as trading away our 34th pick. As I've said before if everybody had the same opinions this would be a pretty boring place to be. I am also underimpressed with the hiring of Pendergast as our DC.
But what do I know? I'm just a fan - albeit not as high in caliber as yourself.
That being said, I hope I am wrong and Cassel takes us to the promise land and hopefully a change of venue for Pendergast will help him lead our defense back to respectability...

TrueArrows
03-20-2009, 03:45 AM
I'm excited that new players are being signed. There is a new system being put in place on both sides of the ball, you can't stick with the same players. The only thing Herm did in a hurry was drive Trent out of town. We have two coordinators from the Superbowl Cardinals. These two have more success then Herm has ever had.
Lets be excited and patient. Herm drove out a great player, Haley is at least trying to bring in some new talent. Were still smarting from losing a great QB like Trent.

Is anybody mad about Trent leaving?

tornadospotter
03-20-2009, 04:16 AM
I was because of the way, he was treated.

Canada
03-20-2009, 09:11 AM
edited post.

Coach
03-20-2009, 10:58 AM
You telling me to grow up! LMAO! Too funny from a man with a painted face! You do have a good sense of humor..I think? :bananen_smilies046:

I am telling the guy who sits at home and plays with kids to grow up. OK Mr Mom. oh wait...you are just playing with them right?

Stop the bickering. If you don't like one another use the 'Ignore feature'. Let's stick to football.

Codac
03-20-2009, 03:58 PM
What did you expect us to do in the FA Market? It was a really weak FA pool.

okikcfan
03-21-2009, 03:39 PM
I was a little suprised at the FA choices we made because of age and not really anything special, but I also belive they or some of them bring good leadership we much needed to a very young team. I too am unsure about Haley but again, as history shows us change can be good for everyone and this could very well be a break out year for our Chiefs. Can't wait till draft day and who we get @ # 3.....

jmlamerson
03-21-2009, 04:02 PM
What did you expect us to do in the FA Market? It was a really weak FA pool.

There were some good players in FA who I would have liked on the team. But not at the price they went at. As much as I might like Jason Brown and Bart Scott, they weren't worth over 10% of our cap room.

And that's the rub. We won't attract decent FAs here for anything but way over market value until we start winning games and look like a contender. The question is whether we can become a contender without massively overpaying for average FAs.

I think we can and will.

okikcfan
03-21-2009, 04:34 PM
I think with a good draft and even better coaching we could be a force to be reckoned with, sorta speak. We have to remember that Verbal, Tony G, Larry J, and some others will only be around for a shot time, so it will be up to them to help in that process and unlike Lamar I hope tony gets to the Superbowl before his game time is up and I would like it very much if it was as a Chief.

N TX Dave
03-21-2009, 06:25 PM
I think with a good draft and even better coaching we could be a force to be reckoned with, sorta speak. We have to remember that Verbal, Tony G, Larry J, and some others will only be around for a shot time, so it will be up to them to help in that process and unlike Lamar I hope tony gets to the Superbowl before his game time is up and I would like it very much if it was as a Chief.

I agree with you except Lamar went to two superbowls I and IV lost the first and won the second those were the days.

I still think we have a curse on us since we left Municipal Staduim we have not been back to the superbowl, Arrowhead has a curse on it.
:sign0153:

prough91
03-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Look, I just started this thread because anyone that said anything a little bit derogatory against the decisions being made were, in my opinion, getting hammered. I know I work with a lot of people who are Chief's fans and they didn't agree with a lot of them. I just wondered if anyone here felt the same way.

Coach
03-23-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm really disappointed in everything about this thread.

If you guys are anything like me, you enjoy reading about the Chiefs. I don't enjoy listening to grown men fight.

If you insist on fighting or prefer to listen to grown men fighting then visit one of the sites listed here:
Kansas City Chiefs Fan Site - Web Links (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=14&Itemid=23)

If you prefer to talk about the Chiefs, I would love for you to stay.

Thread Closed.