PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Still Waiting For Bowe

m0ef0e
08-03-2007, 11:29 AM
GRETZ: Still Waiting For Bowe

Aug 03, 2007, 6:19:05 AM by Bob Gretz (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/bob_gretz/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/19/bob_gretz_faq/)

RIVER FALLS, WI – Sometimes you just can’t win.
As the Chiefs sat in their draft war room this past April, considering their options with the 23rd choice in the first round, they zeroed in on wide receiver Dwayne Bowe.
They liked so much about him, especially what he did on the field at LSU. There was really only one negative: his agent.

Or, in this case his agents. The firm representing Bowe has three partners, headed up by a fellow named Ethan Lock.

The Chiefs have a history with Lock. He was the agent for John Tait and he got into a shouting match with Carl Peterson some years back. Lock and his partners are not quick to do deals with draft choices. They never have been. They like others to establish the floor and ceiling before they’ll get into serious negotiations. In the business they are known as foot draggers.

This was very well known to the Chiefs as their allotted 15 minutes in the first round ticked away.

Still, they went ahead and drafted Bowe. Despite the problems they knew would come, they made the right football decision. A player like Bowe is just what the Chiefs needed on their roster, not only now, but in the future.

And now, they are suffering with the rest of the story. Bowe has missed the first week of training camp here in the north woods. He’s down in Atlanta with his former LSU teammate DeMarcus Russell, who as the No. 1 choice is also without a contract and is also represented by Lock and his firm.

Bowe has missed in the neighborhood of 150 to 200 practice snaps. He’s missed more time working on timing with quarterbacks Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle. He’s missed seven days of learning more about the playbook and the Chiefs offense.

It sounds like he’s going to miss even more. There’s been little progress in negotiations with Lock and his partners. The Chiefs communicate with them on almost a daily basis and basically end up back at the same place every time.

The Chiefs have made offers that exceed the overall percentage increase of the rest of the first round in both total money and guaranteed money. Still, that’s not good enough and those offers have been rejected by Bowe’s people.

What are they waiting for? What’s their motivation?

It’s fear. Bowe’s agents are afraid to make a commitment on a contract because 22nd pick Brady Quinn remains unsigned. Cleveland and the former Notre Dame quarterback are having trouble coming to an agreement. Quinn and his agent Tom Condon want a deal that exceeds what the 22nd pick would normally get because Quinn is a quarterback.

So they won’t make a move to finalize a deal with Bowe until they know what the ceiling is ahead of them. They already know what the floor is behind them at the No. 24 pick.

Lock and his crew are not trendsetters; they are followers. They basically allow other people to do their work, and then come in at the end when the outcome is obvious. That way, they either get the slotted figure, or they get something more and that makes them look better.

None of this has anything to do with their client. It’s all about their next clients, it’s all about their standing among the other agents who service draft choices. It’s a strange way to do business, climbing on the back of players who have signed on with you in hopes of impressing potential clients.

All this does is hurt Bowe. He’s missing valuable time. It’s not something he couldn’t overcome if he showed up by this weekend.

But if he remains out a week from now, there starts to be a problem. Bowe pulled a hamstring during the off-season program and his conditioning suffered. When the Chiefs shutdown operations near the end of June, he was out of shape and overweight. He may be working out with Russell down in Atlanta, but there’s little chance they are putting in the kind of work and hours they would if they were in a camp.

If the NFL re-opens its collective bargaining agreement next year with the players association, and there seems a good chance they will, the league needs to push hard for defined rookie salary scale, much like the NBA.

With that in place, Dwayne Bowe would be here in the north woods running routes against the Vikings this weekend instead of chasing down passes from the next Raiders quarterback.

Coach
08-03-2007, 06:35 PM
This just sucks. I am already pissed at him and he hasn't even dropped his first pass yet. He is a fool for starting his NFL career off like this!

Canada
08-03-2007, 06:36 PM
This just sucks. I am already pissed at him and he hasn't even dropped his first pass yet. He is a fool for starting his NFL career off like this!

:lol: Another optimist!! :toast2:

Chiefster
08-03-2007, 07:01 PM

Agreed! The article shifts blame away from Bowe, but the fact of the matter is that if he was serious about securing his place on the team then he would fire his hack agent firm and go with an agent that would get the job done. JMHO

Chiefster
08-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Looks like I better get to 50K in ArrowCash before the 8th of August! LOL!

AkChief49
08-03-2007, 07:03 PM
and the wide receiver woes continue....I was hoping we were going to get a receiver that could develop into a poor mans Hines Ward.(not afraid of blocking downfield, going over the middle) I totally agree they (rookies) need to prove them selves first. It's not like he has completely impressed anyone so far!! Makes me really pull for Webb!

Chiefster
08-03-2007, 08:48 PM
These agents are the scourge of the NFL.

Coach
08-03-2007, 11:46 PM
The players are as guilty as the agents.

Guru
08-04-2007, 12:20 AM
The players are as guilty as the agents.

Yeah, for the most part. I still put more fault on the agents when it comes to rookies though.

Damn the NFL for not having Rookie Maximum limits.:mob:

m0ef0e
08-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah, for the most part. I still put more fault on the agents when it comes to rookies though.

Damn the NFL for not having Rookie Maximum limits.:mob:

Yeah, as much as I hate to say it, the NBA has em beat on this.... :saythat: Oh God... I approved of something the NBA does. I think I'm going to be sick.

AkChief49
08-04-2007, 02:43 PM
The NFL is still the only one with a "hard" cap. After all is said and done(are we really waiting on the J. Russell deal or is it Quinn's deal?) is CP going to give Bowe anymore than 7 mil? Especially with LJ's contract yet to be done....

Chiefster
08-04-2007, 10:27 PM
The NFL is still the only one with a "hard" cap. After all is said and done(are we really waiting on the J. Russell deal or is it Quinn's deal?) is CP going to give Bowe anymore than 7 mil? Especially with LJ's contract yet to be done....

...Don't see it happening; and it shouldn't. Bowe is a rookie for cryin outloud!

chief31
08-05-2007, 12:51 AM

I think it may be both. The fact that Quinn is holding-out, with huge demands means that Russell and Bowes agent (who are one and the same) is waiting for that deal to get done, so they can bargain for Russell. Then come in and make ridiculous demands on Bowes behalf.

Chiefster
08-05-2007, 05:34 AM
I think it may be both. The fact that Quinn is holding-out, with huge demands means that Russell and Bowes agent (who are one and the same) is waiting for that deal to get done, so they can bargain for Russell. Then come in and make ridiculous demands on Bowes behalf.

I can't begin to tell ya how much this angers me!

wolfpack
08-05-2007, 09:42 AM
they or the queen should just tell him this is what we are going to give you this year. jack up the contract with bonuses. if he dosent like it to ####ing bad. sit out a year. we`ll win or lose with or without him.

stlchief
08-05-2007, 10:26 AM
How can it make you mad? This is his future. He can come out on day one, break a leg, and be done. Someone was paralyzed (temporarily) in training camp last week. It is not out of the realm of possibilities to say someone might not ever play again.

Bad technique by the agents: YES. Bad choice of agents: YES.

But let's wait for him to get here and support him once he does.

chief31
08-05-2007, 11:31 AM
How can it make you mad? This is his future. He can come out on day one, break a leg, and be done. Someone was paralyzed (temporarily) in training camp last week. It is not out of the realm of possibilities to say someone might not ever play again.

It's real easy to understand how a fan can be mad about it. Health risks come with alot of jobs. I think that his agency is playing a game with his career. You suggest that the Chiefs aren't willing to give him any guaranteed money. I'm sure that it isn't like all that. How he can boycott his own careeer (which hasn't started yet) because five million isn't enough is ludacris.

The Chiefs drafted him because they feel that he is what this team needs. I can't imagine that they are trying to rip him off. How much logic is there in that train of thought?

I realize that these young players "hand-over" their careers to these agencies, but I think that it is a mistake to allow an agency to damage your career, like this.

I don't think that the Chiefs should continue negotiations with his agent. Make a final offer and leave the table. If he doesn't wind-up signing, then he will lose millions and future rookies will avoid that agency.

Actually, I imagine that at some point, Bowe would fire his agent and get a new one. Every training camp practice that Bowe misses, should be costing him money. His value to the Chiefs is decreasing, so should his contract.

sling58
08-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Bowe signed today and will be reporting Monday to camp.

Chiefster
08-06-2007, 12:11 AM

Easy there Sea Biscuit; The agents are who I'm talkin about here; not Bowe.

m0ef0e
08-06-2007, 12:56 PM

This infuriates me because, once they get a contract they have guaranteed MILLIONS!

I used to work up on ladders and inside pinsetter machines that could crush and kill me for 11 bux an hour with no supplied health insurance!

Of course a rookie holding out is gonna make me mad. If he gets hurt and cant play again... Well, I could at least begin some kind of enterprise to insure future income for myself with way less than one million dollars.

If you can make millions for playing a sport, great. Do it. Make your money. I don't have a problem with capitalism or people getting rich.

These athletes need to realise that normal people change careers frequently simply because they have to do whatever they can to make money and support their families. If you make a few mil and get hurt, yeah it sucks your career may be over. However, if you have wasted your millions on a luxorious lifestyle, and are so spoiled/ignorant that you can't think of any other source of income, I have no sympathy for you whatsoever.

sling58
08-06-2007, 12:58 PM
I have no sypmathy for rich players either that blow there money. Just give me 1 mil and I will invest it and be happy.

Guru
08-06-2007, 01:11 PM
I have no sypmathy for rich players either that blow there money. Just give me 1 mil and I will invest it and be happy.

I love it when they say "but I need to be able to take care of my family" I would be thrilled just to get 100k a year. Don't know that I would ever see that even with two incomes. Athletes just don't have a clue about the real world.

m0ef0e
08-06-2007, 01:23 PM
It's real easy to understand how a fan can be mad about it. Health risks come with alot of jobs. I think that his agency is playing a game with his career. You suggest that the Chiefs aren't willing to give him any guaranteed money. I'm sure that it isn't like all that. How he can boycott his own careeer (which hasn't started yet) because five million isn't enough is ludacris.

The Chiefs drafted him because they feel that he is what this team needs. I can't imagine that they are trying to rip him off. How much logic is there in that train of thought?

I realize that these young players "hand-over" their careers to these agencies, but I think that it is a mistake to allow an agency to damage your career, like this.

I don't think that the Chiefs should continue negotiations with his agent. Make a final offer and leave the table. If he doesn't wind-up signing, then he will lose millions and future rookies will avoid that agency.

Actually, I imagine that at some point, Bowe would fire his agent and get a new one. Every training camp practice that Bowe misses, should be costing him money. His value to the Chiefs is decreasing, so should his contract.

Great post, btw. :sign0098:

DrunkHillbilly
08-06-2007, 01:41 PM

I think there are a few things to take into consideration when you are talking about rookie contracts.

First, In my opinion, I don't blame anyone for getting what they can. I think we can all agree on this.

Second, the reason they do this is because in this game, his career could be over tomorrow!

Third, they revert back to 1 and 2 because they basically have the team by the balls! They know that the team wanted them enough to draft them so they feel like they can stretch it and get a little more. Agents obviously play a roll too!!!!

Fourth, the players that play the same position as you and the players that were drafted before and after you play a part in the negotiations as well. When the positions before and after you are slotted then I think you have to get it done, but in this case, IMO, I think the fact that Quinn hasn't signed yet had affected things with Bowe. I know he is 2 picks prior but hell, there talkin about Bowe being a top 3 contender for rookie of the year! Quinn is going to be a career backup when Cleveland is done with him!

For me as a fan, it is a little frustrating but at the same time I totally understand. Get it while ya can because it may not be there tomorrow!

m0ef0e
08-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Quinn is going to be a career backup when Cleveland is done with him!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chiefster
08-06-2007, 01:49 PM
I think there are a few things to take into consideration when you are talking about rookie contracts.

First, In my opinion, I don't blame anyone for getting what they can. I think we can all agree on this.

Second, the reason they do this is because in this game, his career could be over tomorrow!

Third, they revert back to 1 and 2 because they basically have the team by the balls! They know that the team wanted them enough to draft them so they feel like they can stretch it and get a little more. Agents obviously play a roll too!!!!

Fourth, the players that play the same position as you and the players that were drafted before and after you play a part in the negotiations as well. When the positions before and after you are slotted then I think you have to get it done, but in this case, IMO, I think the fact that Quinn hasn't signed yet had affected things with Bowe. I know he is 2 picks prior but hell, there talkin about Bowe being a top 3 contender for rookie of the year! Quinn is going to be a career backup when Cleveland is done with him!

For me as a fan, it is a little frustrating but at the same time I totally understand. Get it while ya can because it may not be there tomorrow!

Well in that case he should have fired his agent a long time ago and went with one who wasn't willing to let the contract talks slide indefinately. IMO

Chiefster
08-06-2007, 01:50 PM
I love it when they say "but I need to be able to take care of my family" I would be thrilled just to get 100k a year. Don't know that I would ever see that even with two incomes. Athletes just don't have a clue about the real world.

Exactly!

sling58
08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
A lot of the players are just crybabies that don't know how to manage money.

Chiefster
08-06-2007, 11:43 PM
A lot of the players are just crybabies that don't know how to manage money.

Well they're chronologically adults.

Canada
08-07-2007, 07:52 AM

Quinn hasn't signed yet because if he does he won't have a career after playin the Chiefs on Saturday!!
:beer:

Chiefster
08-07-2007, 08:12 AM

Quinn hasn't signed yet because if he does he won't have a career after playin the Chiefs on Saturday!!
:beer:

Heh! Hadn't thought about that; he's scared. :D