PDA

View Full Version : LJ Can Now Be Cut Without Penalty

yashi
04-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Burress gets bonus; Johnson's pay not guaranteed - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/491/story/1127009.html)

Receiver Plaxico Burress can keep his $1 million bonus, but the Chiefs aren't obligated to pay running back Larry Johnson his guaranteed salary and bonuses over the next two seasons.

That was the ruling NFL Players Association general counsel Richard Berthelsen said Special Master Stephen Burbank issued Monday after the union's grievance hearing last week.

Burbank ruled bonus money already earned cannot be forfeited by a player, meaning the Giants cannot dock Burress $1 million he earned as part of a new contract he signed in August, Berthelsen said.

As for Johnson, Burbank ruled that if the Chiefs cut him, they do not have to pay him a $3.5 million guaranteed salary next season because he breached his contract after being suspended last season, Berthelsen said.

Honestly, I have no problem now keeping LJ knowing that we can cut him at any time if he acts up. This may even cause him to stay out of trouble since he knows that he won't get that kind of money elsewhere at his age. From what I've seen from Poili, however, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if LJ is released in the next few days.

Big Daddy Tek
04-06-2009, 02:07 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/site/img/subhead_news.gif

Posted 5 minutes ago
1 Comment (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80fa20db/comments/burress-allowed-to-keep-bonus-chiefs-rb-johnsons-pay-not-guaranteed) 0 Recommendations (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80fa20db&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true#recommend) E-mail (http://www.nfl.com/email-a-friend?id=09000d5d80fa20db)

nfl.news.SetArticleTime($('article-time'));
Burress allowed to keep bonus; Chiefs RB Johnson's pay not guaranteed

Associated Press

Former Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress (http://www.nfl.com/players/plaxicoburress/profile?id=BUR595691) can keep his $1 million bonus, but the Chiefs aren't obligated to pay running back Larry Johnson (http://www.nfl.com/players/larryjohnson/profile?id=JOH399484) his guaranteed salary and bonuses over the next two seasons.
More Burress details
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/04/15.jpg It's time to go Around the Web to learn more about the details surrounding Plaxico Burress' bonus. It was ruled Burress can keep $1 million after a union grievance hearing last week. More ... (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/06/report-burress-wins-grievance-against-giants/)

That was the ruling NFL Players Association general counsel Richard Berthelsen said Special Master Stephen Burbank issued Monday after the union's grievance hearing last week.
Burbank ruled that bonus money already earned can't be forfeited by a player, meaning the Giants can't dock Burress the $1 million he earned as part of a new contract he signed in August, Berthelsen said.
As for Johnson, Burbank ruled that if the Chiefs cut him, they do not have to pay him a $3.5 million guaranteed salary next season because he breached his contract after being suspended last season, Berthelsen said.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Big Daddy Tek
04-06-2009, 02:11 PM
WOW. Sorry Yashi I think that we just posted at the EXACT same time. I checked to make sure nobody had this story first and then blink, here you are with the exact same post time!

yashi
04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
:D looks like I beat you by just 1 minute.

tornadospotter
04-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Burress gets bonus; Johnson's pay not guaranteed - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/491/story/1127009.html)

Honestly, I have no problem now keeping LJ knowing that we can cut him at any time if he acts up. This may even cause him to stay out of trouble since he knows that he won't get that kind of money elsewhere at his age. From what I've seen from Poili, however, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if LJ is released in the next few days.
I have no problem keeping him now that he must prove himself, if he can clean up his act and play with something to prove, he can be great. Its it is up to him, it always has been.

tornadospotter
04-06-2009, 02:23 PM
If we keep him, that big ole chip on the shoulder, I need to prove myself attitude may come back, and that is when he preforms on the field. Lets just hope he proves him self off the field also, and gets his life together.

pbatrucker
04-06-2009, 02:57 PM
WOW. Sorry Yashi I think that we just posted at the EXACT same time. I checked to make sure nobody had this story first and then blink, here you are with the exact same post time!
You and Coach, now there's three..
:11: :11:

billb40
04-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Who else do we have that can run the ball? I did not see anything last year that gave me a lot of confidence.

Of course we might just need someone to block for a runner whoever it is.

wichitaj
04-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Who else do we have that can run the ball? I did not see anything last year that gave me a lot of confidence.

Of course we might just need someone to block for a runner whoever it is.

i read the same article on nfl.com and had to run here to put my two cents in..drum roll.....CUT HIM!

we don't need any "distractions" with the new leadership, last thing we need is "spits" johnson running around causing trouble. his issues aren't isolated, so how can we assume they won't crop up again. he's playing nice to get is 3.5 bonus due next year, once he gets it, the spits gonna fly.

who do we get to run the ball?? Charles and whoever else. either a draft pick or late pickup.

kcboz
04-06-2009, 03:49 PM
we saved 3.5 mil, show LJ the door and lets get on with the fresh start Haley want's

kcboz
04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
we saved 3.5 mil count your blessings show him the door get on with the fresh start

jmlamerson
04-06-2009, 04:51 PM

To my understanding, even though his salary will not be guarenteed, we will still accrue a large cap hit if we cut him. That means if we cut him, it will probably be nearer the end than the beginning of the offseason.

Coach
04-06-2009, 07:22 PM
The Chiefs prevailed in their grievance case against Larry Johnson today when a special master ruled that $3.75 million of his salary in 2009 and 2010 was no longer guaranteed.

More... (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1127131.html)

bigpoppachief
04-06-2009, 09:00 PM
i read the same article on nfl.com and had to run here to put my two cents in..drum roll.....CUT HIM!

we don't need any "distractions" with the new leadership, last thing we need is "spits" johnson running around causing trouble. his issues aren't isolated, so how can we assume they won't crop up again. he's playing nice to get is 3.5 bonus due next year, once he gets it, the spits gonna fly.

who do we get to run the ball?? Charles and whoever else. either a draft pick or late pickup.

Well it's funny that now his agent is saying he wants to be a chief when what not two months ago he wanted out of KC, Give me a break ! Try to trade his *** for at least a second rounder and try to trade out 3 for a couple first rounders or at least a little later 1st and a 2nd grab a beast DE or LB cause there are plenty in this draft and try and get one of the RB in the draft as well. I mean if Larry is sincere I am all for it because the guy cna carry the rock but we are turning a new leaf in Chiefs football.

honda522
04-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Hell Yes! But I would really like to get a 5th rounder for him.

Coach
04-06-2009, 10:53 PM
To my understanding, even though his salary will not be guarenteed, we will still accrue a large cap hit if we cut him. That means if we cut him, it will probably be nearer the end than the beginning of the offseason.

This team doesn't care about the 2009 salary cap hit from cutting LJ. They are $40 mm under the cap. They won't be spending anywhere near the cap in 2009. I think they will try to trade him before the draft. If there is a bidder, he will be gone. If the Chiefs could get a 3rd round pick, they'd be jumping up and down.

kcchiefs4life
04-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Cut him. He is a loose cannon. We can't loose anything by cutting him, and I don't think we will gain anything by keeping him. He said he wanted to part with the Chiefs, so let him. Let him go beat up women in somewhere else and cry about it to someone else. Smith and Charles proved themselves last year.

jmlamerson
04-06-2009, 11:10 PM
This team doesn't care about the 2009 salary cap hit from cutting LJ. They are $40 mm under the cap. They won't be spending anywhere near the cap in 2009. I think they will try to trade him before the draft. If there is a bidder, he will be gone. If the Chiefs could get a 3rd round pick, they'd be jumping up and down.

Of course they would. But finding a team dumb enough to do that is the issue. And even the dumb GMs aren't that dumb.

Pioli seems to be waiting until post-FA/Draft to make his big financial decisions. We will be extending Cassel, I think, before the season begins. And maybe Bowe and DJ as well.

And why not wait until the whole picture is in before deciding what to do about LJ? We can't trade him for any real value, let's not kid ourselves.

Coach
04-06-2009, 11:31 PM
[quote=jmlamerson;128140 We can't trade him for any real value, let's not kid ourselves.[/quote]
Agreed!

tornadospotter
04-06-2009, 11:39 PM
If there is no value in trading him, we make him play for future value, a want to prove and make my name lj, was a much better player, than the I got mine, party time lj. Like him or not, but he has always has been a better RB when he had some thing to prove. Now he has a lot, to prove.

Vandelay
04-06-2009, 11:47 PM
While it would give me some personal satisfaction to cut LJ, for all the disrespect he has shown KC, it's probably best to keep him and run his a$$ into the ground this season. Of course if we could trade him for a pick, even a fifth rounder, that would be my first choice, but I don't see anyone willing to make that trade.

Coach
04-06-2009, 11:54 PM
While it would give me some personal satisfaction to cut LJ, for all the disrespect he has shown KC, it's probably best to keep him and run his a$$ into the ground this season.
I agree, that would be the best punishment. Get the guy 1600 yards on 400 carries, then trade him.

rbedgood
04-07-2009, 01:26 AM
WIthout the guaranteed money I would think that the Chiefs might be in a spot to re-work his contract and make him tradeable...(is that a word?) LOL

AussieChiefsFan
04-07-2009, 01:46 AM
WIthout the guaranteed money I would think that the Chiefs might be in a spot to re-work his contract and make him tradeable...(is that a word?) LOLIf it is a word, I think the "e" needs to be removed.:lol: :bananen_smilies046:

Pro_Angler
04-07-2009, 08:15 PM

This post beat mine by about 30 seconds. I had it all written up and ready to copy and paste and I saw this.. I am always just late.. Anyway's I say keep LJ if he looks like he wont change his tune dump him late in the pre-season!!!! MAybe now he knows his money isnt guaranteed he'll play.

McLovin
04-07-2009, 11:35 PM

I read this that if the Chiefs cut him they dont have to pay the bonus, meaning if they retain him he will get the money, and possibly but a smaller possibility if they trade him then the other team would have to pay it, and if that is the case no one would trade for him.

For me this is a tough one, if it is a matter of keep him and pay it is a no brainer, cut him. If it is possible to renegotiate the contract, not pay the bonus and let him come back and prove he is worth being on the 53 then I might not be opposed to another chance.

The other option that scares me is cutting him the intellectually challenged Al Davis picking him up and him having something to prove when playing the Chiefs.

Three7s
04-08-2009, 01:29 AM
One last chance, if he decides to act like a child, then release him without question.