PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone expect from Pioli in the draft

ctchiefsfan
04-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Just curious to see what people are expecting from the draft. Has Pioli got another surprise up his sleeve or will he play the cards he's got?

bigpoppachief
04-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Just curious to see what people are expecting from the draft. Has Pioli got another surprise up his sleeve or will he play the cards he's got?

It's really hard to tell but I gotta think he knows what he wants to do to help the Chiefs to be in the best position to compete as possible

tornadospotter
04-06-2009, 09:36 PM
No comment.

chiefsfreak4life
04-06-2009, 10:22 PM
I think he will be dealing to pick up more picks. I expect to see Larry traded, possibly Hali as well.

honda522
04-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Dont think we will see any major trades.

AussieChiefsFan
04-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Dont think we will see any major trades.Same here. I voted that he'll use what he's got.:bananen_smilies046:

Big Daddy Tek
04-07-2009, 02:26 AM
I dont think we will realize what we got out of a Pioli draft until a few years down the road. Just remember, one of our 2nd day picks WILL end up being a contributor.

Bike
04-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I think he will be dealing to pick up more picks. I expect to see Larry traded, possibly Hali as well.
Couldn't agree more. Both need to go...:bananen_smilies046:

honda522
04-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Hali? Why him?

ctchiefsfan
04-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Hali? Why him?

I'd hate to see Hali go, but wouldn't be surprised to see LJ get packaged with a draft pick in some kind of a trade.

jmlamerson
04-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Dont think we will see any major trades.

Agreed. Everyone forgets that we need a trade partner to trade. Who the hell is trading anything for LJ or Hali?

ctchiefsfan
04-09-2009, 07:03 AM
If TO can get picked up in a week, then somewhere out there there is a market for both Hali and LJ. But time will tell.

Chiefster
04-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Hard to tell what Pioli will do. What did he do in New England?

honda522
04-09-2009, 10:14 AM
If TO can get picked up in a week, then somewhere out there there is a market for both Hali and LJ. But time will tell.
I agree with that, but it might be hard to trade him off...even for a 6th round or so pick.

jmlamerson
04-09-2009, 04:50 PM

You are aware of the difference between FA and a trade, right?

ctchiefsfan
04-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Certainly. And LJ may yet wind up as a free agent. My point was that "One man's meat is another man's poison". Dallas felt TO was toxic and cut him. Buff picked him up-quickly...and my guess is for less than Dallas would have had to pay to keep him.

And of course if we traded LJ the acquiring team would have to pick up his existing contract (I believe) with the exception (I believe) of the $ affected by the recent mediator ruling.

All that acknowledged, I'm still inclined to believe that there are still some teams out there that would be interesting in trading to get him.

Would he bring what he would have a couple of years ago? Certainly not. But I still think he has some value as trade bait.

Chiefster
04-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Certainly. And LJ may yet wind up as a free agent. My point was that "One man's meat is another man's poison". Dallas felt TO was toxic and cut him. Buff picked him up-quickly...and my guess is for less than Dallas would have had to pay to keep him.

And of course if we traded LJ the acquiring team would have to pick up his existing contract (I believe) with the exception (I believe) of the $ affected by the recent mediator ruling.

All that acknowledged, I'm still inclined to believe that there are still some teams out there that would be interesting in trading to get him.

Would he bring what he would have a couple of years ago? Certainly not. But I still think he has some value as trade bait.

I think his trade value has diminished greatly; the time to have traded him was before the big fat contract IMO.

Thanks Carl! :11:

ctchiefsfan
04-10-2009, 08:10 AM
We may well be stuck with him, in the sense of being unable to get anything worthwhile for him.

If that is the case, we should tell him that his $3.75 million that we are no longer obligated to pay him depends on behavior and performance...set some specific but attainable goals and see what he does. If he performs and behaves GREAT-we've got a good RB. If he continues to be a spoiled brat, show him the door-less his $3.75 million.

But then I'm sure Pioli knows all this.

ctchiefsfan
04-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah KCChris, Thats sort of why I started this thread. After what Pioli did with our 2cond round pick, I'm dying to see what he does with #3! The suspense is killing me.

I guess the best part is that Pioli has that pick in his hot little hands, not Carl!

jmlamerson
04-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Funny thing is, I don't recall Pioli ever having a draft pick this high on the draft. I don't have the actual numbers but when you have a top 5 pick you have alot of stroke and he is prolly drueling at the prospect of being able to trade it away for more picks but the only way I see him doing it is if he doesn't have the player he wants at #3 available. He is one of the GMs that is very difficult to read , hard to say.

Every top-15 pick Pioli's had he's turned into a defensive front-7 player. And except Mayo, they've have been 3-4 DL players. That's why, assuming the drug test turns out to be false, I think we pick a big DT (Raji) or we trade down.

theaxeeffect4311
04-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Every top-15 pick Pioli's had he's turned into a defensive front-7 player. And except Mayo, they've have been 3-4 DL players. That's why, assuming the drug test turns out to be false, I think we pick a big DT (Raji) or we trade down.

Raji is not worth the third overall. Now, if we traded down, then Raji would become a possibility.

jmlamerson
04-11-2009, 07:08 PM
The drug test isn't false, he was tested while he was in his Senior year at Boston College and he was posotive for Pot. When you have alot of fat on your body like Raji has,the THC from sm0oking weed is harder to get out of your system as the THC stores in the fat of your body. It is likely that he is still positive from when he was tested just 3 monthes prior. If your body has less than 5% fat you can get the THC outta your body in 30 days, with the amount Raji has, I would be willing to say 6 - 8 monthes . I doubt Pioli will pick him but I know you like the big man. This isn't the first time you have mentioned wanting him drafted by Pioli.

Agreed about the drug test, as to its being residual. I just can't understand anyone really caring that Raji smoked dope in college. As long as he doesn't when he's getting paid, I don't see any problem.

It isn't so much that I want Raji in particular. It's just that I don't ever see the Chiefs winning until we can stop the run. And Dorsey and Tank just aren't ever going to be run stuffing DTs. Even more than a pass-rushing DE, a good RT, or a slightly competent LB, we need a run stuffing DT.

If we can't stop the run in 2009, we're not going to win four games. Teams will just run on us, grind the clock down, and wear our LBs/DBs out. Just as HB is a product of OL, LB is a product of DL. We need size and strength on the DL so very, very badly.

It doesn't help that Curry is a massive reach at 3 (ALL LBs ARE REACHES AT 3), I think we can get OT help in the 3rd/4th, and I think both Brown and Orakpo are overrated. A big NT/DT is our biggest need. It stinks that we've wasted so many high picks on DT over the past decade and that this is still a need, but here we are.

jmlamerson
04-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Raji is not worth the third overall. Now, if we traded down, then Raji would become a possibility.

Why do people think this? Raji will be gone at 7, at the latest. He isn't even a slight reach at 3.

theaxeeffect4311
04-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Why do people think this? Raji will be gone at 7, at the latest. He isn't even a slight reach at 3.

Raji is a decent prospect. If the Chiefs grabbed him at 12, I think it would be a smart move. That being said, he is not a good choice at 3. If you want to say that Dorsey is short, Raji is only an inch taller. You know, the same height as Tank Tyler. Raji has problems with his weight fluxuating thoroughout the season. While he has the strength to be a 3-4 NT, there are teams wondering whether he can be a three down NT or is he going to be rotational player (which would not be the kind of guy would take at 3). There are a lot of concerns about his maturity because of his academics in college and his druge use. No matter how you want to deny the look of marijuana use, to test positive when you know the drug test is coming up means that he's either really dumb or has a drug problem. Do you think that the Chiefs will take a problematic player at third overall? I am starting to wonder about Curry as well, but he's a clean player with a great combo of speed, strength, and size. However, in every draft, there seems to be that elite LB but they usually go about tenth overall, but they are a huge contributor on defense (Patrick Willis, Jarod Mayo). If Pioli thinks Curry's worth the third overall pick, then I'll agree with him. I have to put my money on Monroe. It's rare to have a chance to grab a player of Monroe's caliber and since the Chiefs do not plan on drafting that high again (I hope they want to win), I think it would be the smart choice. Some people may say that Monroe is not necessary, they just need to remember our O-line was so terrible last season that we ran the spread and pistol. To go back to a conventional Offense, we'll need an O-line that can buy Matt Cassel some time and keep him from getting injured. Plus, if the Chiefs keep LJ, they need someone to open up lanes for him. Monroe and Albert as bookends would instantly make that offense look better. Elite LBs and NTs can be taken at tenth overall in the draft, while elite OTs are gone by the fifth overall pick.

jmlamerson
04-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Raji is a decent prospect. If the Chiefs grabbed him at 12, I think it would be a smart move. That being said, he is not a good choice at 3. If you want to say that Dorsey is short, Raji is only an inch taller. You know, the same height as Tank Tyler. Raji has problems with his weight fluxuating thoroughout the season. While he has the strength to be a 3-4 NT, there are teams wondering whether he can be a three down NT or is he going to be rotational player (which would not be the kind of guy would take at 3). There are a lot of concerns about his maturity because of his academics in college and his druge use. No matter how you want to deny the look of marijuana use, to test positive when you know the drug test is coming up means that he's either really dumb or has a drug problem. Do you think that the Chiefs will take a problematic player at third overall? I am starting to wonder about Curry as well, but he's a clean player with a great combo of speed, strength, and size. However, in every draft, there seems to be that elite LB but they usually go about tenth overall, but they are a huge contributor on defense (Patrick Willis, Jarod Mayo). If Pioli thinks Curry's worth the third overall pick, then I'll agree with him. I have to put my money on Monroe. It's rare to have a chance to grab a player of Monroe's caliber and since the Chiefs do not plan on drafting that high again (I hope they want to win), I think it would be the smart choice. Some people may say that Monroe is not necessary, they just need to remember our O-line was so terrible last season that we ran the spread and pistol. To go back to a conventional Offense, we'll need an O-line that can buy Matt Cassel some time and keep him from getting injured. Plus, if the Chiefs keep LJ, they need someone to open up lanes for him. Monroe and Albert as bookends would instantly make that offense look better. Elite LBs and NTs can be taken at tenth overall in the draft, while elite OTs are gone by the fifth overall pick.

Yeah, he's only an inch taller than Dorsey. But he's 35 pounds heavier and a whole lot stronger.

There is no way Raji drops to 12. He's not getting past 7.

There are four guys I couldn't object to if we drafted them: Jason Smith, Monroe, Raji, and Curry. If we get any of those four, our team is instantly upgraded at an important position. Actually two positions if we go Monroe or Smith, as we'd upgrade our LT and RT positions.

Of course, we can always hope Pioli finds a GM dumb enough to trade up.

AussieChiefsFan
04-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Well, I voted that he wouldn't trade and work with what his got. Well that's not actually what I think. That's what I want to happen. The reason I wouldn't like much or anymore trading before the Draft is because I really don't want to see start players go if any do. Evan if the trade is a good deal on our behalf. I still would be annoyed if one of our great player (like TG) suddenly got traded. Although IMO trading will go on, I don't think that during all the trading TG will be traded. I'm pretty sure that Scott and Clark have already finalized that.

ctchiefsfan
04-23-2009, 06:25 PM
How does the TG trade everyone's opinions on this question?

yashi
04-23-2009, 06:58 PM
How does the TG trade everyone's opinions on this question?
Honestly... this afternoon I suddenly had a feeling that it's no longer an impossibility that we take Crabtree. Haley has become accustomed to having two stud receivers, and not really using a tight end much. Bowe is going to be blanketed, and both Engram/Bradley are very injury prone.

Bowe/Crabtree = Fitz/Boldin?

Certainly the sizes and playing styles of each pair are similar.

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of taking Crabtree over more needed positions, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happens anymore. I still think it'll be Curry, but expect the unexpected right?