PDA

View Full Version : Zach Thomas!

AkChief49
04-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2009, 10:21 p.m.
Apparently, Scott Pioli brought with him from New England a taste for aging linebackers.
According to the Kansas City Star, the Chiefs have agreed to terms (http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1137526.html) with veteran linebacker Zach Thomas.
Thomas spent 12 seasons with the Dolphins, before being released by Pioli’s father-in-law, Bill Parcells, a year ago.
Last year, Thomas played for the Cowboys, appearing in all 16 games and starting 14 of them.
His final in Miami was marred by injury — primarily, concussions. He appeared in only five games that season.
The terms of the deal have not been reported. Presumably, it’s a one-year contract for the veteran minimum.

AkChief49
04-11-2009, 10:53 PM
are we going from the youngest team to the oldest in one season?

Chiefster
04-11-2009, 10:57 PM
are we going from the youngest team to the oldest in one season?

Yeah, but with more experience. :D

AussieChiefsFan
04-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Chiefs sign LB Zach Thomas

The Chiefs added another part to their defense Saturday when they agreed to contract terms with veteran linebacker Zach Thomas.
Thomas turns 36 in September, but he has made seven trips to the Pro Bowl in his 13 NFL seasons. His most recent Pro Bowl season came in 2006 with Miami, but Thomas started 14 games last year in his first season with Dallas.
His first 12 NFL seasons were played with the Dolphins.
Thomas is the second veteran linebacker acquired by the Chiefs in recent weeks. He follows Mike Vrabel, who came in the trade with New England that also brought quarterback Matt Cassel.
With the Chiefs looking to play the 3-4 defense next season, Thomas is a probable starter at one inside linebacker position. Vrabel will start at one of the outside positions.
Derrick Johnson also figures as one of the starters, probably on the inside. The Chiefs also have Demorrio Williams and recently signed veteran Monty Beisel for depth and to play on special teams.
One of the starting spots remains open. The Chiefs could fill the position through the draft and may be planning to select Aaron Curry of Wake Forest or Everette Brown of Florida State with their top pick.
Thomas, a fifth-round pick by Miami out of Texas Tech in 1996, immediately became a starter for the Dolphins. He has been extremely durable, missing only 24 games in his career because of injury.
Thomas missed 11 games in 2007, his final season with Miami. An auto accident midway through that season caused migraine headaches that led the Dolphins to put Thomas on the injured list.

Vanilla Garilla
04-11-2009, 11:37 PM
I think this is another good pickup. Man, Pioli is excellent at giving depth to our roster. He has done as good a job as any general manager i have ever seen, especially considering that he is not shelling out big bucks for "superstars". In the same way that Barack Obama gave hope to the U.S.A I get the same feeling with Pioli, that with him comes change, superb leadership, and a desire to suceed that we havent seen in quite some time. Chiefs fans everywhere should feel good about this offseason, and should have high hopes for our future....Nuff Said.

Coach
04-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Zach has definitely lost a step, but he brings to the team veteran leadership and experience playing a 3-4 scheme. I always repsected Zach thomas when he played for the Phins. He was everywhere on the field.

AussieChiefsFan
04-12-2009, 01:21 AM
I think this is another good pickup. Man, Pioli is excellent at giving depth to our roster. He has done as good a job as any general manager i have ever seen, especially considering that he is not shelling out big bucks for "superstars". In the same way that Barack Obama gave hope to the U.S.A I get the same feeling with Pioli, that with him comes change, superb leadership, and a desire to suceed that we havent seen in quite some time. Chiefs fans everywhere should feel good about this offseason, and should have high hopes for our future....Nuff Said.
He IS a very successful General Manager and I also have High hopes and expectations of Pioli because of his professionalism. And since that we also have Todd Haley as our Head Coach as of this year I for one also am extremely excited about what the future holds for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Coach
04-12-2009, 02:30 AM
The Chiefs added another part to their defense Saturday when they agreed to contract terms with veteran linebacker Zach Thomas.

More... (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1137935.html)

Coach
04-12-2009, 07:00 AM
The Kansas City Chiefs continued to rebuild their defense, announcing the signing of veteran linebacker Zach...

More... (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/nfl/SIG=133jr0id0/*http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Chiefs-Zach-Thomas-come-to-terms-on-deal?urn=nfl,155121)