PDA

View Full Version : Zach Thomas... REALLY?

texaschief
04-11-2009, 10:58 PM
so much for getting good football players.

http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1137526.html

AussieChiefsFan
04-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Is he really that bad?

jmlamerson
04-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Chiefs sign LB Zach Thomas - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1137526.html)
:iamwithstupid:

Yes, it is terrible thing that we signed a veteran, maybe HOF, LB as a stopgap because Herm left the cupboard so bare on the entire front 7 of our defense.

Is this as bad as you thought getting Cassel was, or is this a different level of bad to you?

BallHawk92
04-11-2009, 11:34 PM
I like this move adds depth to the LB If they draft Aaron curry this will be a very good linebacking core think of it curry on outside johnson and Thomas in the midde and verbal on the other end OMG put some DE up their that's scary

Vanilla Garilla
04-11-2009, 11:41 PM
:funnypost:
Yeah because 7 probowls just aint gonna cut it, you need at least nine to be considered good, wtf?

Big Daddy Tek
04-11-2009, 11:41 PM

Chiefs sign LB Zach Thomas - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1137526.html)

Just a short term answer that provides some veteran leadership. Cant be all that bad Tex.

Coach
04-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Just a short term answer that provides some veteran leadership. Cant be all that bad Tex.

Perfectly said. Pioli isn't handing Zach a 10 yr contract.

DT14PRIEST
04-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Yes, it is terrible thing that we signed a veteran, maybe HOF, LB as a stopgap because Herm left the cupboard so bare on the entire front 7 of our defense.

I don't know about HoF but everything else rings true.

When you're left with nothing its better to add something.

We already learned last year after the Herm debacle that the 'rookie' movement and depleting the stock of veteran leadership does not make a team any better.

If you look at the FA market the pickings are slim so if Pioli can insert some veteran leadership for a one-two year deal (stop gap) then I say go for it. We have the cap space and what better way to mentor you're incoming talent through the draft then by providing them with some All Pro/Pro Bowl caliber players on both sides of the ball.

Once again fixing the problem now by planning for the future. These guys are stepping stones of whats to come.

honda522
04-12-2009, 12:17 AM
My question is does this mean the end for drafting Curry possibly?

Coach
04-12-2009, 12:20 AM
I don't know about HoF but everything else rings true.

I would be shocked if Zach Thomas didn't make the HOF. He was one of the best MLB's in this league for a long time. He is 3rd on the all-time leading tackler list in the history of the NFL.

Coach
04-12-2009, 12:22 AM

Funny, I was trying to intrepret that as well. I think Pioli is trying to scare people off his trail. He won't pass on Curry if he's there.

jmlamerson

Nah. Curry is an OLB, not an ILB. I still think we trade down or go Raji, though.

Vanilla Garilla

Not at all, because in the 3-4 defensive scheme their is still one slot open for a starter. We have Johnson, Vreibal, and now Thomas as the 3 starters, and so lets hope Curry will be the fourth.

Coach
04-12-2009, 12:24 AM
I love that people are willing to bash Pioli for signing this guy when Zach Thomas is one of the 2-3 best linebackers that we have on the roster. We need 4.

honda522
04-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Not at all, because in the 3-4 defensive scheme their is still one slot open for a starter. We have Johnson, Vreibal, and now Thomas as the 3 starters, and so lets hope Curry will be the fourth.
What about Bisel and what ever other LB's we have on reserve.

Vanilla Garilla
04-12-2009, 12:27 AM

Beisel, from my understanding is going to mostly come in as a special teams player, but he will definitely see some playing time as a linebacker, just not as a starter.

jmlamerson
04-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Zach Thomas>>>>>>Demorrio Williams/Monty Beisel/Other Losers

DT14PRIEST
04-12-2009, 12:37 AM
D.Johnson/Vrabel/Thomas/Someone

Your guess is as good as mine...I have a sneaking inclination it'll be Curry. Not my first choice but I'd be happy with it.

Sn@keIze
04-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Zach Thomas is a "has been".

Sn@keIze
04-12-2009, 01:20 AM

Beisel, from my understanding is going to mostly come in as a special teams player, but he will definitely see some playing time as a linebacker, just not as a starter.Zach actually had 94 tackles last year so he merits to start.

And I still hope we get Curry.

Sn@keIze
04-12-2009, 01:34 AM
You need to stop ragging on the Chiefs. They're improving by leaps and bounds this offseason.

And I know I'm not that intelligent. I'm just more intelligent than you.Im not raggin on the
chiefs.

And yes, they are improving leaps and bounds. But from our worst seasons ever, isnt sayin much. Overall, Im happy with this offseason.

Im passionate about every signing. I love them so I express concerns.

And this just takes me back to how we signed Donnie Edwards, someone past their prime.

Hayvern
04-12-2009, 01:43 AM
Once again, this move is about veteran leadership. This guy was a monster and certainly has a season or two left in the tank. The best thing is the knowledge that he brings to a team that has no knowledge currently. He brings leadership, focus, and an insight to what it takes to be successful.

I am sure he was also pretty cheap which is another good thing. I think Pioli is going to go after Curry, and he wants these veterans in place to make him the guy of the future.

I am so excited about the moves we are making I could just scream!!!

Vandelay
04-12-2009, 02:13 AM
I like this signing, as long as it was cheap, which I think would be the case. The key is don't hand out huge contracts to players nearing the end. If Thomas has some left in the tank, which I think he does, then great. If not, just cut him, and its not going to hurt the cap situation too bad.

YZILLA
04-12-2009, 03:23 AM
Damario Williams is alot better then most give him credit for. He got the shaft having to play behind Donnie Edwards last year . Edwards played because of his seniority. Williams is a ball hawk and has a huge motor. he is always going after the ball. He tore it up in the miami game when they finally let him play. I like him alot to make this team. Having Zach thomas and Vrabyl is a huge asset to Currey when we draft him . Who better to learn from then excellent vetrans like them.

okikcfan
04-12-2009, 04:05 AM
Zach Thomas has more tackles than any LB in the HOF, currently ranking 4th of all time behind Randy Gradishar, Jessie Tuggle and ol' Junior Seau, Plus a 7 time pro bowler, Sorry but I like the pick. I still think we will get Curry.

Ldub
04-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I like the move as long is its a 1-2 year contract, and we do indeed draft Curry. Curry and Johnson would be learning from Mike Vrabel and Zach Thomas... Not to shabby. Vets are okay to pick up as long as they get tiny contracts, and I think this was a good find if thats the case.

yashi
04-12-2009, 09:10 AM
I think we still draft Curry as well... Thomas is simply a stopgap/mentor and nothing more. It's a good signing. He is basically to the inside what Vrabel will be to the outside.

OLB - Curry, Vrabel
ILB - Johnson, Thomas

I like it. That is a ton of talent in a LB corps.

Now we just need to draft Sammie Lee Hill and a 3-4 DE.

What would be hilarious now is if we sign Jason Taylor as well, since Thomas is his brother in law.

Xeticus
04-12-2009, 10:31 AM
You guys are getting a leader. Zach was a 5th round pick who electrified things in Miami. He's on the downside of his career but he's a hell of a guy. Always outperformed.

If you guys draft Curry you have the best tutors possible in Vrabel and Zach. This was an outstanding short term pick up for you guys.

AussieChiefsFan
04-12-2009, 10:39 AM
You guys are getting a leader. Zach was a 5th round pick who electrified things in Miami. He's on the downside of his career but he's a hell of a guy. Always outperformed.

If you guys draft Curry you have the best tutors possible in Vrabel and Zach. This was an outstanding short term pick up for you guys.
Exactly right! If we DO end up drafting Curry we already have Vrabel and NOW we also have Zach Thomas. So if we do end up with all three IMO our Defense will have stepped up a notch.

jmlamerson
04-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Im not raggin on the
chiefs.

And yes, they are improving leaps and bounds. But from our worst seasons ever, isnt sayin much. Overall, Im happy with this offseason.

Im passionate about every signing. I love them so I express concerns.

And this just takes me back to how we signed Donnie Edwards, someone past their prime.

That's fair. It just seems every time the Chiefs make a move this offseason, you've been down on it. I mean, we're rebuilding a team that was without much talent, especially in its front 7, despite blowing much of out last three years of draft picks on our defensive line. If we can get our defense ranked 16th this season, Pioli deserves to be executive of the year.

Difference is that Peterson/Edwards, being idiots, signed Donnie Edwards to a massive contract and expected him to be a every down starter. I'd be shocked if we signed Zach Thomas to much over the vet minimum, and he'll be rotated in and out with Beisel and probably a draft pick or two.

Lazeye
04-12-2009, 10:59 AM
OK time to put the baby bottle back in your mouth and stop crying babies. have we forgot who our new leader is in Scott Pioli I mean come on now, under him we now will not always get the big fancy names or young blood all the time or who we think we will need to get. He has a blueprint of using key role players and no names and vets past there prime and always finds a way to get the last drop of production from any player ( Moss grew up)
so I am happy with whatever he does cause SP is the man. SP reminds me of M. Jordan and with Cassel being his new Scottie Pippin instead of T. Brady I think we are in for good times ahead. To say Scott P. has picked up has beens is dumb and like saying what he did in NE matters none. THE MAN PUTS CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS TOGETHER, just have faith GROW UP! This was for all the people that bash in any form or fation what we do from now.

AussieChiefsFan
04-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Scott Pioli has been trading for older and veteran players a lot lately and I have nothing against it, I mean it'll do the chiefs good in the next few years but after those few years the veteran players WILL need to retire and we will be left needing to trade for other player. My point is that if we trade for players that are a few years younger they will be able to play for the chiefs for a few more years although they might not be as good as the veteran players that have a shorter time until retirement.

jmlamerson
04-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Scott Pioli has been trading for older and veteran players a lot lately and I have nothing against it, I mean it'll do the chiefs good in the next few years but after those few years the veteran players WILL need to retire and we will be left needing to trade for other player. My point is that if we trade for players that are a few years younger they will be able to play for the chiefs for a few more years although they might not be as good as the veteran players that have a shorter time until retirement.

No, he hasn't. Vrabel was included in the trade of our 2nd round pick, but that pick was mostly for Cassel.

We've signed some vets. But only because we had to. Who were we going to get to play C this year, or ILB, or special teams? We only have seven draft picks.

AussieChiefsFan
04-12-2009, 11:33 AM
No, he hasn't. Vrabel was included in the trade of our 2nd round pick, but that pick was mostly for Cassel.

We've signed some vets. But only because we had to. Who were we going to get to play C this year, or ILB, or special teams? We only have seven draft picks.
Not every year that you trade for a former-rookie QB and a veteran LB for your 2nd round Draft pick that's a good trade.

pbatrucker
04-12-2009, 11:39 AM
not at all!! You still need one more starter. This move would only give Curry even more great veteran leadership. Right now, we only have 7 draft choices and need more football players than that. Paoli is trying to win now, not in the future.
:11:

jmlamerson
04-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Not every year that you trade for a former-rookie QB and a veteran LB for your 2nd round Draft pick that's a good trade.

I don't know what you're trying to say.

AussieChiefsFan
04-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't know what you're trying to say.
It's not every year that a trade like this one happens.

NWA Chief
04-12-2009, 04:51 PM
I believe we trade out of the 3rd pick and get someone like Clint Sintim from UVA who played in a 3-4 in college in the second round. With the first pick we get a Tackle or DE depending on who we trade to. I like Curry but ppl are saying he's just athletic enough to play for us in the 3-4. I think we need a rush LB in the 2nd round and let someone trade up for Curry

tornadospotter
04-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Lot of folks have been saying that Curry is not what we need. That we need a DE to put pressure on the QB. I would like to know what fans would have said on this forum, if we went back in time, and Derrick T was the LB in the draft. I not saying that Curry will be a DT, yet, but he looks like he could be.

Three7s
04-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Lot of folks have been saying that Curry is not what we need. That we need a DE to put pressure on the QB. I would like to know what fans would have said on this forum, if we went back in time, and DT was the LB in the draft. I not saying that Curry will be a DT, yet, but he looks like he could be.
DE or LB, it doesn't matter as long as we put pressure on the QB.

theaxeeffect4311
04-12-2009, 05:57 PM
not at all!! You still need one more starter. This move would only give Curry even more great veteran leadership. Right now, we only have 7 draft choices and need more football players than that. Paoli is trying to win now, not in the future.
:11:

But this is a move by Pioli which could result in us taking Monroe at 3. It looks like Pioli is keeping his options open. Without Thomas (though he would have not been the LB I would have signed), the LB corps would be in desperate need for more starters. Thomas, however, just looks too slow. But this gives us a little more flexibility. I think it's interesting that most of the players we have brought in on defense looks to make us a better run-stop D. I think Chiefs' fans need to accept that our defense will still be bad this season.

hometeam
04-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I came into this thread late, but i say ZT is a great pickup, can play solid middle LB and maybe teach some of our guys how to TACKLE

fairladyZ
04-12-2009, 06:03 PM
looks like we signed him to a one year deal for $2mil.
Not to bad i like the one year, price is OK but not great.
I like the pickup

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Veteran LB Thomas signs with Chiefs (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/12/veteran-lb-thomas-signs-with-chiefs/)

chanceb420
04-12-2009, 06:14 PM
good pick in the long run because imma learn ya real fast like see we need the help at linebacker any player with that much experience and the leadership he can bring to the table but didnt in dallas because there locker room is full of ppl with big mouths he can will bring that leader ship role to kc along with vrabel thats is as good as it gets in experience he had 95 tackels last year 14 years still goin 2 million for one year maybe a lil to much but well see :bananen_smilies046:

wichitaj
04-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Any improvement on defense is a good thing. Zach doesn't have much left in the tank, but at least he has a tank. Outside of Johnson, who had a tank last year???

wichitaj
04-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Any improvement on defense is a good thing. Zach doesn't have much left in the tank, but at least he has a tank. Outside of Johnson, who had a tank last year???

and further more, its tank time.
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/04/21.jpg

Vandelay
04-12-2009, 06:55 PM
and further more, its tank time.
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/04/21.jpg
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/players/demarcus_tyler.jpg

pbatrucker
04-12-2009, 10:34 PM
But this is a move by Pioli which could result in us taking Monroe at 3. It looks like Pioli is keeping his options open. Without Thomas (though he would have not been the LB I would have signed), the LB corps would be in desperate need for more starters. Thomas, however, just looks too slow. But this gives us a little more flexibility. I think it's interesting that most of the players we have brought in on defense looks to make us a better run-stop D. I think Chiefs' fans need to accept that our defense will still be bad this season.
You are correct, and I'm not going to argue with anyone about who we will take, I'm still in the Curry fan club, but a OT or DE would still help.
If you research Paoli drafts, the fact is, He's going to draft who ever he thinks is the best football player available. He could draft all OL, LB or Cb, but he will drsft the best football player available.
If he follows his draft history, we will trade down for more picks. He understands you build championship teams thru the draft. These seasoned veterans are being brought in to give us a chance of winning now, while building a championship team thru the draft over the next two or three years.
:11: :bananen_smilies046:

DT14PRIEST
04-12-2009, 11:55 PM
looks like we signed him to a one year deal for $2mil.
Not to bad i like the one year, price is OK but not great.
I like the pickup

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Veteran LB Thomas signs with Chiefs (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/12/veteran-lb-thomas-signs-with-chiefs/)

Moneys fine, we have too much cap space as it stands that we have to spend just to reach the minimum allowance for 2009.

chief31
04-13-2009, 04:49 AM
OK time to put the baby bottle back in your mouth and stop crying babies. have we forgot who our new leader is in Scott Pioli I mean come on now, under him we now will not always get the big fancy names or young blood all the time or who we think we will need to get. He has a blueprint of using key role players and no names and vets past there prime and always finds a way to get the last drop of production from any player ( Moss grew up)
so I am happy with whatever he does cause SP is the man. SP reminds me of M. Jordan and with Cassel being his new Scottie Pippin instead of T. Brady I think we are in for good times ahead. To say Scott P. has picked up has beens is dumb and like saying what he did in NE matters none. THE MAN PUTS CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS TOGETHER, just have faith GROW UP! This was for all the people that bash in any form or fation what we do from now.

You are correct, and I'm not going to argue with anyone about who we will take, I'm still in the Curry fan club, but a OT or DE would still help.
If you research Paoli drafts, the fact is, He's going to draft who ever he thinks is the best football player available. He could draft all OL, LB or Cb, but he will drsft the best football player available.
If he follows his draft history, we will trade down for more picks. He understands you build championship teams thru the draft. These seasoned veterans are being brought in to give us a chance of winning now, while building a championship team thru the draft over the next two or three years.
:11: :bananen_smilies046:

Pioli had the luxury of being able draft whatever player he wanted, regardless of position, because that team wasn't bleeding to death from all of the holes.

I like Zach Thomas. Always have. I think this is a pretty good signing.

While I still don't trust the Cassel deal, I do like that the holes are getting addressed.

Thomas and Vrabel are just patches. But we have too many holes to properly rebuild with the few rebuilding tools that we have for a single offseason, so patches are required.

Cassel at least fills what many percieved to be a hole on the team.

So, with my doubts about Cassel, weighed against the other moves that I've seen made, I am starting to lean toward the pleasantly surprised, from my previous "unimpressed" stance.

The holes that are currently unfilled, are still enough to make me believe that we will have alot of trouble this season. But we still have a ways to go, toward building a real football team.

Thomas is old. He could struggle. But I think it is a fair risk, for the type of player that he is.

Not just a Pro-Bowl regular, or even a possible HOFer. But he is well known for being the kind of guy who was able to overcome physical setbacks, by playing with alot of "heart".

He was viewed by all as too short to play MLB in The NFL. But made a fantastic career at it, despite all of that.

I don't know him personally or anything. But I have never heard a bad word about him. And the "Heart" aspect of his story suggests that this is exactly the type of personality that I want on The Chiefs.

Seek
04-13-2009, 09:13 AM

I hope so. I truly hope the Chiefs draft O line and worry about Line backer next year.

kcboz
04-13-2009, 11:37 AM
If we draft Curry he could benifit from a couple of vets that know how to play the right way, it might help DJ also.

jmlamerson
04-13-2009, 12:02 PM

Pioli had the luxury of being able draft whatever player he wanted, regardless of position, because that team wasn't bleeding to death from all of the holes.

I like Zach Thomas. Always have. I think this is a pretty good signing.

While I still don't trust the Cassel deal, I do like that the holes are getting addressed.

Thomas and Vrabel are just patches. But we have too many holes to properly rebuild with the few rebuilding tools that we have for a single offseason, so patches are required.

Cassel at least fills what many percieved to be a hole on the team.

So, with my doubts about Cassel, weighed against the other moves that I've seen made, I am starting to lean toward the pleasantly surprised, from my previous "unimpressed" stance.

The holes that are currently unfilled, are still enough to make me believe that we will have alot of trouble this season. But we still have a ways to go, toward building a real football team.

Thomas is old. He could struggle. But I think it is a fair risk, for the type of player that he is.

Not just a Pro-Bowl regular, or even a possible HOFer. But he is well known for being the kind of guy who was able to overcome physical setbacks, by playing with alot of "heart".

He was viewed by all as too short to play MLB in The NFL. But made a fantastic career at it, despite all of that.

I don't know him personally or anything. But I have never heard a bad word about him. And the "Heart" aspect of his story suggests that this is exactly the type of personality that I want on The Chiefs.

Yep. I am amazed that people fought so hard last season to claim that our roster was great, and we were only some better gametime coaching and a new DE away from contention.

Now these same people are complaining that we weren't active enough this postseason to get FAs.

Pioli and Haley were tactless, but right, when they said that 22 guys off the street could have done as good last year. I still have no idea how we won that Denver game. And even after signing two starting LBs, a starting 2WR, a starting C, and a bunch of special teams players and reserves, we're still a good half dozen starters away from respectability. More if we trade/cut LJ, Waters, or Gonzo.

We still need a ROLB, RG, RT, RDE, FS, and NT by my count, assuming we try to make the transition to the 3-4 defense. And some more youth at HB, ILB, and C/OG couldn't hurt.

In short, we're finally rebuilding this team. But looking for more than six wins in 2009 is probably unrealistic.

bigpoppachief
04-14-2009, 12:56 AM
IM late to this but ZT is a great pick up for us, brings leadership that we had NONE of last year. I live in Texas and Cowboy fans arent happy my friend who is a die hard cowboys fan said ZT is still a beast and was in on alot of plays for the cowboys even if he wasnt getting the tackle himself he was causing havoc DK but I hope hes right :D

AussieChiefsFan
04-14-2009, 01:19 AM
you need 9 to be considered good???isn't that how many that Tony guy has......that was stupid of you to say.......so Cutlers not good and every other player in the NFL......the guy might have 7pros under him but the last one was in 06.....just adding another old guy he can join Engram who retires in 2-3 years Tony in 2years and him in 1-2years.Were screwed when that happensTony Gonzalez isn't just "that guy"!:mob:

Coach
04-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Lot of folks have been saying that Curry is not what we need. That we need a DE to put pressure on the QB. With the Chiefs looking to play a hybrid 3-4 defense this year, don't be surprised if the Chiefs take someone who can lineup at DE or OLB. I think Curry could do that. Orapko definitely could. Everette Brown.

I still think Curry is the best option and probably the only one of the guys that I mentioned that could drop back in coverage with any success.

AussieChiefsFan
04-15-2009, 12:08 AM
With the Chiefs looking to play a hybrid 3-4 defense this year, don't be surprised if the Chiefs take someone who can lineup at DE or OLB. I think Curry could do that. Orapko definitely could. Everette Brown.

I still think Curry is the best option and probably the only one of the guys that I mentioned that could drop back in coverage with any success.
Aaron Curry IS the best option. He has everything he needs to be a great LB; Speed, maneuverability and he's also got a lot of confidence I'm guessing.

Bike
04-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Aaron Curry IS the best option. He has everything he needs to be a great LB; Speed, maneuverability and he's also got a lot of confidence I'm guessing.
No he's not. I like Monroe or Ragi. Curry is more an OLB we need another ILB...

Bike
04-15-2009, 07:58 AM
you need 9 to be considered good???isn't that how many that Tony guy has......that was stupid of you to say.......so Cutlers not good and every other player in the NFL......the guy might have 7pros under him but the last one was in 06.....just adding another old guy he can join Engram who retires in 2-3 years Tony in 2years and him in 1-2years.Were screwed when that happens
Doink.
We will hardly be screwed in 2-3 years when these guys retire. Pioli will be rebuilding these positions over the next couple years. This is exactly what great franchises do.

jmlamerson
04-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Doink.
We will hardly be screwed in 2-3 years when these guys retire. Pioli will be rebuilding these positions over the next couple years. This is exactly what great franchises do.

Bike = Smart

It's as if people don't understand the difference in paying a veteran guy with some gas in the tank $2M on a one-year contract to fill a badly needed hole on the team, and overpaying a guy $20M over three years because you only remember his glory years.

PawnshopMarimba
04-15-2009, 04:41 PM
I like Thomas, but I still think we should go after Curry. If we're running a 3-4 this year, a DE doesn't matter quite as much for the pass rush since LBs blitz more often. Plus, it seems like he could fill in at the DE position if needed.

Bike
04-15-2009, 04:52 PM
I like Thomas, but I still think we should go after Curry. If we're running a 3-4 this year, a DE doesn't matter quite as much for the pass rush since LBs blitz more often. Plus, it seems like he could fill in at the DE position if needed.
He would fit better as a 4-3 OL imo.
But a great athlete is a great athlete.
If Pioli wants him - take him.
I think he'll either take Curry (if he's there) or Ragi.
Piolis' history is to draft defense.
But I kinda hope he takes Monroe if he's there....

theaxeeffect4311
04-15-2009, 07:52 PM
He would fit better as a 4-3 OL imo.
But a great athlete is a great athlete.
If Pioli wants him - take him.
I think he'll either take Curry (if he's there) or Ragi.
Piolis' history is to draft defense.
But I kinda hope he takes Monroe if he's there....

I hope the pick is Monroe as well. It makes a lot of sense, plus it gives us bookends to pair with Cassel for the next ten years.

But Curry is an athlete and he's versatile. I think he could transition into a 3-4 ILB or possibly a 3-4 OLB (Not the best choice, but I'm not sure that is why they want him). I have to think that the Chiefs will play a hybrid 3-4 which means those different formations could entail Curry playing on the outside of a 4-3 then moving over to the inside for certain plays. The reason being he does have great size being 6'2", 250 lbs. But you add in his speed (whether that can translate into him blitzing is still up in the air), and his ability to drop back into coverage, and this guy could do a lot for our defense. If the Chiefs decide to go after Curry, I would like the pick. Sure, I would like Monroe more, but you're right that Pioli may want to go defense in the first round.

And I don't see Raji or Orakpo as options at the third overall spot.

Coach
04-15-2009, 11:36 PM
ESPN comments on the Chiefs adding Zach Thomas:

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson
Last year, when Zach Thomas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=985) signed with Dallas, it was considered a huge coup for the Cowboys.
This year, the fact that Thomas has inked a deal (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s%20town%20for%20more%20than%20hisThaoms%20totory? id=4062170) with Kansas City on a quiet holiday weekend has not been met with much fanfare.
There is no denying that Thomas, who will turn 36 in September, is nearing the end of his career. The middle linebacker is no longer an elite player. But Kansas City shouldn't be criticized for adding Thomas, who signed a one-year contract for $2 million.
He will bring value to the Chiefs. Kansas City fans shouldn't expect a Pro Bowl season from Thomas, but they should expect him to make an impact. He started 14 games for Dallas and ended up with 94 tackles. That's solid work.
But that's Thomas. He will always give maximum effort, and because of that, he will get his share of tackles.
But new Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli brought in Thomas for more than his on-field contributions. Thomas will pair with fellow veteran linebacker Mike Vrabel (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1257), who was acquired in a trade from New England in February, to give Kansas City, great leadership in the middle of the field. This is another indication of Kansas City doing things the Patriots' way.
Pioli, of course, came from New England earlier this year. The Patriots always loved older, savvy linebackers. The addition of Thomas to Kansas City is much like when the Patriots brought Junior Seau (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=213) to New England.
It's about setting the tone and in the form of Thomas and Vrabel, the Chiefs now have great leadership on defense. This is vital since Kansas City is one the youngest teams in the league.
With Thomas now in the fold, perhaps the Chiefs will pursue his brother-in law, Jason Taylor (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1245). The defensive end is a free agent and he'd give Kansas City a much needed pass rushing presence. Taylor and Thomas starred together for years in Miami.

Chiefster
04-15-2009, 11:41 PM
He's a good enough player for the price IMO.

Chiefster
04-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Agreed, and 2 mil for one year is chump change.

DT14PRIEST
04-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Agreed, and 2 mil for one year is chump change.

I wish it was chump change for me

Chiefster
04-16-2009, 12:05 AM
If I had the kinda money that would make 2 million chump change I would take most of us members here to the Home opener .

I'd let ya. :D

Chiefster
04-16-2009, 12:06 AM
I wish it was chump change for me

Well, comparatively speaking it's chump change.

tornadospotter
04-16-2009, 02:43 PM
If I had the kinda money that would make 2 million chump change I would take most of us members here to the Home opener .
Ok, but I expect the best of everything.

Canada
04-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Hell Yea, Black Label Beer and those lil BBQ Weenies!!!!!
No wonder u dont drink very much!!