PDA

View Full Version : Some camping help?

honda522
04-12-2009, 10:37 PM
So for my Geology class, we are going camping for extra credit. How bad *** is that?

Anyways, its going to be the weekend of the NFL draft, Friday night, all day Saturday, and most of the day Sunday.

I need to find something to eat for breakfast and lunch for Saturday and Sunday. Something that is easy to prepare and cook without making alot of dishes, and fairly cheap. Friday, I figure I will eat dinner before I go and make take a snack. Saturday, I heard someone is making Chilli for the lot of us for dinner. And Sunday, I will have dinner at home.

Any suggestions?

Vandelay
04-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Make sure the tent is well ventilated.:D

AussieChiefsFan
04-12-2009, 10:39 PM
You could take some Cheese & crackers. lol

oh yeah, also what vandaley said.

honda522
04-12-2009, 10:46 PM
You could take some Cheese & crackers. lol

oh yeah, also what vandaley said.
I said food for a meal, not a snack.

AussieChiefsFan
04-12-2009, 10:51 PM
I said food for a meal, not a snack.Oh, right. Can't think of much food that will last for a very long time without refrigeration that will taste good.

wichitaj
04-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Saturday, I heard someone is making Chilli for the lot of us for dinner.
Any suggestions?

you're gonna be shi**'n the whole time you are out in those woods man. I suggest taking TP, those leaf's you been using are probably poision ivy!! haha

AussieChiefsFan
04-12-2009, 10:52 PM
you're gonna be shi**'n the whole time you are out in those woods man. I suggest taking TP, those leaf's you been using are probably poision ivy!! haha
OUCH!!

honda522
04-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Oh, right. Can't think of much food that will last for a very long time without refrigeration that will taste good.
I will have cooler ya know ;)

AussieChiefsFan
04-12-2009, 11:25 PM
I will have cooler ya know ;)
Oh, than take the stuff in your fridge then.:bananen_smilies046:

AkChief49
04-12-2009, 11:27 PM
about the cheapest you could go is hot dogs. If you can find them, MRE's are not too bad. I do have a recipe if you get lucky enough to catch a possum.

honda522
04-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh, than take the stuff in your fridge then.:bananen_smilies046:
HA!

My mom barley keeps anything in there.....or the pantry.

AussieChiefsFan
04-12-2009, 11:32 PM
HA!

My mom barley keeps anything in there.....or the pantry.
Well I guess you'll just have to take what's there....

N TX Dave
04-13-2009, 12:56 AM
Go here to find all kinds of stuff about campfire cooking.

http://usscouts.org/cooking.asp or

http://www.stanford.edu/~reh/PatrolCookTips.html#BM_5_

or

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0903/a-cooking.html

Vanilla Garilla
04-13-2009, 02:29 AM
So for my Geology class, we are going camping for extra credit. How bad *** is that?

Anyways, its going to be the weekend of the NFL draft, Friday night, all day Saturday, and most of the day Sunday.

I need to find something to eat for breakfast and lunch for Saturday and Sunday. Something that is easy to prepare and cook without making alot of dishes, and fairly cheap. Friday, I figure I will eat dinner before I go and make take a snack. Saturday, I heard someone is making Chilli for the lot of us for dinner. And Sunday, I will have dinner at home.

Any suggestions?

I personally would take a box of Snicker marathon bars. Each one packs 290 calories, 22 grams of protein, and 12 vitamins and minerals. i usually sub 1 of these for a meal a day, basically lunch or breakfast, and it is definitely filling. Sometimes I cant even finish the bar, and this is coming from a 6'3 235 lb. man. You can get a box of 6 at walmart for about $5-6.

tornadospotter
04-13-2009, 06:53 AM
I personally would take a box of Snicker marathon bars. Each one packs 290 calories, 22 grams of protein, and 12 vitamins and minerals. i usually sub 1 of these for a meal a day, basically lunch or breakfast, and it is definitely filling. Sometimes I cant even finish the bar, and this is coming from a 6'3 235 lb. man. You can get a box of 6 at walmart for about $5-6.
This is a good idea! Now fill cooler with beer. Good to go. :D

Hayvern
04-13-2009, 10:12 AM
The thing I would tell you to do as we do this all the time.

Go to your local Big 5, Sports Chalet or the similar and look at the packaged meals they have. They do not cost a lot of money, no more than eating out would cost and they are light weight. They are pretty easy to cook and they are not too bad.

Backpackers Pantry - The Outdoor Gourmet Food (http://www.backpackerspantry.com/InventoryD.asp?loc=100&item_no=102000&category=test&subcategory)=

Have fun.

Vanilla Garilla
04-13-2009, 10:52 AM
This is a good idea! Now fill cooler with beer. Good to go. :D

Amen to that!:bananen_smilies046:

Canada
04-13-2009, 11:17 AM
If you make a lasagna and put pieces into idividual ziploc freezer bags all you have to do is boil a pot of water and drop the bag in and have lasagna for dinner. And if u eat it out of the bag and drink your beer out of a can then there is not mess to clean up!!

Vandelay
04-13-2009, 11:18 AM
If you make a lasagna and put pieces into idividual ziploc freezer bags all you have to do is boil a pot of water and drop the bag in and have lasagna for dinner. And if u eat it out of the bag and drink your beer out of a can then there is not mess to clean up!!
BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

honda522
04-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Wow, that is a really good idea.:sign0098:

AussieChiefsFan
04-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Canada, you really know your stuff don't you!:bananen_smilies046:

tornadospotter
04-14-2009, 01:48 AM
He asked his wife. :D

AussieChiefsFan
04-14-2009, 02:32 AM
He asked his wife. :D
:lol:

Canada
04-14-2009, 08:22 AM

I do live in the Great White North!! :D

honda522
04-14-2009, 02:58 PM

Well he is Canaidan....they camp for a living :lol:

Just Kidding!

tornadospotter
04-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Well he is Canaidan....they camp for a living :lol:

Just Kidding!
I think they live in snow houses. Thats how they keep their beer cold. :D :lol:

Canada
04-14-2009, 05:11 PM
I think they live in snow houses. Thats how they keep their beer cold. :D :lol:

They are called igloos :sign0104: I can't believe a guy who built his house in Tornado alley thinks he can make fun of me!!

tornadospotter
04-14-2009, 05:31 PM
They are called igloos :sign0104: I can't believe a guy who built his house in Tornado alley thinks he can make fun of me!!
I did not build my house, I am just the dumb a$$ that bought it. What a mistake!
YouTube - The Money Pit - Trailer (1986)

ctchiefsfan
04-14-2009, 09:30 PM
about the cheapest you could go is hot dogs. If you can find them, MRE's are not too bad. I do have a recipe if you get lucky enough to catch a possum.

I could use that possum recipe. Tons of 'em around here, but I've never found a recipe worth eating.

tornadospotter
04-14-2009, 10:12 PM
I could use that possum recipe. Tons of 'em around here, but I've never found a recipe worth eating.
Call Granny!!!!, She knows....:11: :drunkhb:

YouTube - Beverly Hillbillies Happy Possum Day !!!

AkChief49
04-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Call Granny!!!!, She knows....:11: :drunkhb:

YouTube - Beverly Hillbillies Happy Possum Day !!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtSfeKxLyCk)
:lol::lol::lol:classic TS!

AkChief49
04-14-2009, 10:55 PM
I could use that possum recipe. Tons of 'em around here, but I've never found a recipe worth eating.O.K. here you go.. First, feed said possum milk for two days. skin and gut possum and lay in a large foil pouch. cut up onions, potato's, carrots,or parsnips if you prefer. roll up in the foil and throw on the fire for approx. 1 hr (depending on your bed of coals) Then you carefully open foil as not to burn yourself, toss the possum and vegetables and eat the foil, I've never found them worth eating either! :lol::lol:

tornadospotter
04-14-2009, 11:03 PM
O.K. here you go.. First, feed said possum milk for two days. skin and gut possum and lay in a large foil pouch. cut up onions, potato's, carrots,or parsnips if you prefer. roll up in the foil and throw on the fire for approx. 1 hr (depending on your bed of coals) Then you carefully open foil as not to burn yourself, toss the possum and vegetables and eat the foil, I've never found them worth eating either! :lol::lol:
Granny is going to whop your butt for that one!!!!! Wasting good road kill like that.:drunkhb:

AussieChiefsFan
04-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Granny is going to whop your butt for that one!!!!! Wasting good road kill like that.:drunkhb:
It's a well known fact that roadkill is a delicacy in some countries, so it actually IS a horrible waste of good food if it is used unnecessarily. :lol:

AkChief49
04-19-2009, 05:04 PM
It's a well known fact that roadkill is a delicacy in some countries, so it actually IS a horrible waste of good food if it is used unnecessarily. :lol:
up here in Ak. there is a waiting list for road kill moose. Not sure if there is another state that does that. I had heard in some states it is illegal to harvest road kill deer etc. that is a waste!

slc chief
04-19-2009, 06:52 PM
like donavon says campbells chunky soup perfect open the can and grub

rbedgood
04-19-2009, 11:55 PM
I do live in the Great White North!! :D

Which saves on carrying the cooler