PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Defense better or worse?

sling58
08-04-2007, 11:52 AM
According to chiefs.com the defense did a pretty good job against the Vikings last night in the scrimmage. Is it to early to make a prediction? Thoughts anyone?

:sign0163:

chief31
08-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Here is the article...

GRETZ: Chiefs Defense Shines

Aug 04, 2007, 8:55:37 AM by Bob Gretz (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/bob_gretz/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/19/bob_gretz_faq/)

MANKATO, MN – Before his team left River Falls to travel the two hours west to practice against the Vikings, Herm Edwards had something to say.
The head coach told his team they were a team that made the playoffs last year and that they should get off the bus at Minnesota State University like they were a playoff team.
“That’s what they are expecting,” Edwards told his players. “Don’t disappoint them.”
They didn’t. The Chiefs turned in a fine performance Friday evening against the Vikings. As soon as the team returned home to the Falls, Edwards was planning to watch the tape. For the most part, he’s going to be happy with what he sees.
Oh, the coaches will find plenty of things to work on. But the Chiefs were very efficient and productive in their 90 minutes of work. It was just an early August snapshot of a team, but it was a pretty nice picture.
Here’s what happened with the defense on Friday night. When the teams face off again Saturday night in River Falls, I’ll give you my take on the offense.
Defensively, the Chiefs were dominant. There’s no other way to describe how they went after the Vikings. It started with the 9-on-7 drill, which is designed for the running game. The Chiefs No. 1 defense just slammed Minnesota. The Vikings were without injured running backs Chester Taylor and No. 1 draft choice Adrian Peterson, so that made a difference. But they had their No. 1 offensive line out there and the Chiefs shut them down on four of the five plays. The fifth was a botched Minnesota handoff.
When the full team work started, again the Chiefs defense dominated the action. Everyone figured it would be a vanilla evening, given the fact that these two teams will see each other in the third week of the regular season. If this was a vanilla defense, then Gunther Cunningham has really loaded up the playbook.
Cunningham sent two linebackers on one blitz, he sent the nickel back Tyron Brackenridge on another blitz. Second-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson never was able to get comfortable. Even with the blitzes, the real pressure was coming from the Chiefs front four. Jared Allen had a sack. Jackson stepped up into the pocket to run and if this had been a real game, Ron Edwards would have buried him. Edwards and Tamba Hali combined on another sack.
The player who really stood out was middle linebacker Napoleon Harris. Whether it was the chance for action against his old team, or just the chance to let loose, he was everywhere, filling the gaps and shutting down any Vikings running play.
Starting cornerbacks Pat Surtain and Ty Law did not work, so the youngsters got a lot of playing time. Justin Phinisee had an interception and Will Poole made a diving attempt at one, only to lose it when he hit the ground.
Nothing the Vikings tried offensively worked. DE Jimmy Wilkerson was impressive with the second unit. CB Benny Sapp had some nice plays in one-on-one drills and the team work. When the rookies had a short live scrimmage at the end of practice, Turk McBride was right in the middle of stopping the Vikes running game.
Again, this was one summer night in southwest Minnesota. The Vikings may show up in River Falls a little more intent on getting something done Saturday. A lot of things can change.
But it was a very good start for the Chiefs defense.
Other practice notes: when all the units came together at the end of practice, Brodie Croyle started with the Chiefs No. 1 offense and looked very good in five plays. He threw a strike to Eddie Kennison down the right seam that would have been a big play in any game. Croyle got the ball out of his hands quickly on every pass play. Damon Huard wasn’t bad and Casey Printers may have turned in his best performance. He looked poised, confident and fired the ball with accuracy.

luv
08-04-2007, 12:13 PM
According to chiefs.com the defense did a pretty good job against the Vikings last night in the scrimmage. Is it to early to make a prediction? Thoughts anyone?

:sign0163:
My opinion? Younger, tougher, better. I'm really not worried about our D that much at all. I'm focusing my worries on the offense.

chief31
08-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I think the defense will rank in the top ten in the NFL. Especially if we play alot of low-scoring games.

m0ef0e
08-04-2007, 12:25 PM
I already jumped out on this limb earlier in one of my posts. I think we will be in the top 8 on defense this year. 32nd to 16th to 8th... makes sense to me... then again, I may just be dreaming...

sling58
08-04-2007, 12:27 PM
My opinion? Younger, tougher, better. I'm really not worried about our D that much at all. I'm focusing my worries on the offense.

I will agree with this. The D sounds stronger but our offense seems like it is in la-la-land

Coach
08-04-2007, 01:51 PM
I will agree with this. The D sounds stronger but our offense seems like it is in la-la-land

No LJ, No Bowe, new QB, and new o-line. The questions marks are definitely on offense this year. If the defense isn't good, we could have a high draft pick next year.

sling58
08-04-2007, 02:07 PM
I hope that we don't get the top pick next year like that crappy team in Oakland did this year. I think if the D improves over last year, like they did, then I think 8-8 would be a great year. I am still a Chiefs fan thru and thru and always say we will be hoisting the trophy though. That's what I always have to say to non-Chiefs fans.

Coach
08-04-2007, 02:27 PM
I hope that we don't get the top pick next year like that crappy team in Oakland did this year. I think if the D improves over last year, like they did, then I think 8-8 would be a great year. I am still a Chiefs fan thru and thru and always say we will be hoisting the trophy though. That's what I always have to say to non-Chiefs fans.
You have to be die-hard to put up with 40 years of nothing.

Coach
08-04-2007, 02:29 PM
:fatlock:
Even Fatlock thinks the Chiefs D will be good.
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766

sling58
08-04-2007, 02:33 PM
You have to be die-hard to put up with 40 years of nothing.
haven't been one for 40 but if I have to wait another 20 years for a Championship I am going to have to schedule a meeting with someone so I can sell my soul lol

Chiefster
08-04-2007, 10:30 PM

Same here; now I don't know if that makes you feel any better about your all around Chiefs knowledge or not. :D

chief31
08-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Boy, theat defesnse had better be improved, I think that we are all counting on it.

Coach
08-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Exactly, a lot of optimism around a defense that hasn't been all that great the last few years. We've had some nice additions in the last 12 months though.

Chiefster
08-06-2007, 01:00 AM
Exactly, a lot of optimism around a defense that hasn't been all that great the last few years. We've had some nice additions in the last 12 months though.

I think you can go back to the last couple of years and see that with: Pollard, Page, Hali, and Johnson; combined with the likes of Edwards and Harris I'm pretty stoked about our "D"!

sleepb13
08-06-2007, 09:05 AM
I think the D will be in the top 10. Last year we flirted with it for about 10 weeks, and then towards the end of the season there was a slight drop off. But i think the Chiefs now have a legit shot of having the most dominant LB core in the league and a stout D all around. Be afraid, be very afraid!!

Guru
08-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Haven't you heard? Our defense is supposedly full of holes according to ESPN.

sling58
08-06-2007, 09:31 AM

Yea well ESPN also paid Irvin to be a commentator so I take whatever they say with a grain of sand.

Guru
08-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Yea well ESPN also paid Irvin to be a commentator so I take whatever they say with a grain of sand.

My favorite Dick Vermeil quote....
"Our defense is our defense."

wolfpack
08-06-2007, 10:11 AM
i think the "D" willbe between 15 and 9th in the pack. my biggest worry about the defense is pur corners. if law or surtan go down we willbe in trouble.

Chiefster
08-06-2007, 10:38 AM

:lol::funnypost:

m0ef0e
08-06-2007, 12:32 PM

:lol: yeah, and we certainly know that all analysts on ESPN formulate their opinions from well-grounded, factual information... and none of them have cooked their brains with cocaine and the like, either.

Chiefster
08-06-2007, 03:37 PM
:lol: yeah, and we certainly know that all analysts on ESPN formulate their opinions from well-grounded, factual information... and none of them have cooked their brains with cocaine and the like, either.

Why no; they're upstanding citizens.

sling58
08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
they are model of the community.....ummmm!

Chiefster
08-06-2007, 03:41 PM
they are pillars of the community.....ummmm!

FYP! :D

sling58
08-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Chiefster that's why I respect you. Always cleaning up the messes I cause

Guru
08-06-2007, 05:07 PM

OK, now this statement scares the hell out of me.

Chiefster
08-07-2007, 12:59 AM

Hey now, I follow no one around cleaning up messes. :p

Canada
08-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Hey now, I follow no one around cleaning up messes. :p

You can follow me around and clean up empties!! You could probably quit your job witht the money you would make!! :drunkhb:
:beer:

Chiefster
08-07-2007, 08:18 AM
You can follow me around and clean up empties!! You could probably quit your job witht the money you would make!! :drunkhb:

Ahhhh, recycling the socially accepted way to earn a buck.

wolfpack
08-07-2007, 10:01 AM
they wont crack the top 10. the ofense will crack the top 40.

Chiefster
08-07-2007, 10:09 AM
they wont crack the top 10. the ofense will crack the top 40.

I think this years defense will force many to redefine their terms.

AkChief49
08-07-2007, 09:17 PM

so you still get a deposit down there?? I remember when.....a wagon full of pop bottles kept us in gum and bb's for a week!!:11:

chief31
08-07-2007, 09:20 PM
All of my gum came from packs of baseball cards.

KC Heart
08-07-2007, 09:24 PM
They might have to be depended on to score too.

chief31
08-07-2007, 09:27 PM
They might have to be depended on to score too.

Yeah the already unstable O-line has now lost their starting LT...again. It's looking rough.

KC Heart
08-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Yeah the already unstable O-line has now lost their starting LT...again. It's looking rough.
It really wasn't looking to bad until now.

chief31
08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
It really wasn't looking to bad until now.

Yeah, just when I was starting to get excited about the potential... I am still hopeful that Turley will get his **** together though.

AkChief49
08-07-2007, 09:32 PM
I believe the d will score this year!! with the linebacker core we have now it's pretty much inevitable(I hope)the interior has upgraded, Tamba and Jared will be lickin' their chops. not saying anything new but a better rush= more hurries= picks= scores...it's inevitable

Chiefster
08-07-2007, 11:13 PM
I believe the d will score this year!! with the linebacker core we have now it's pretty much inevitable(I hope)the interior has upgraded, Tamba and Jared will be lickin' their chops. not saying anything new but a better rush= more hurries= picks= scores...it's inevitable

Which is exactly why I say that this years defense will force everyone to redefine their terms,

wolfpack
08-08-2007, 10:22 AM
over the years i`ve heard,mainly from queen carl, how much better our "o" or our "d' is. each year i buy chief stuff and tickets to the games. i`ve been following the chiefs since my first game in the old downtown stadium. i still got the most excited when watching dickie offense move the ball. so,,,,, i`ll wait to see on the "o" or "d" till it starts. been fooled to many times. but i`ll root for them till the day i die.

AkChief49
08-08-2007, 02:04 PM
"but i`ll root for them till the day i die"-wolfpack

amen to that! I'm the eternal optimist....I'm gonna say W.S. will do ok. yeah I've been let down before but my love for the Chiefs and the game keep me going. we are after all fanatics!!!!! but I know where you are coming from...

Chiefster
08-08-2007, 08:56 PM
:fatlock:
Even Fatlock thinks the Chiefs D will be good.
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766

Gee I wonder who could have posted that? :D

chief31
08-09-2007, 01:53 AM
"but i`ll root for them till the day i die"-wolfpack

amen to that! I'm the eternal optimist....I'm gonna say W.S. will do ok. yeah I've been let down before but my love for the Chiefs and the game keep me going. we are after all fanatics!!!!! but I know where you are coming from...

Me, I'm the pessemist. I keep my expectations low. While I may sound like I dis-like L.J., When he has the ball, I have nothing but love for the guy.

There are alot of things that I tend to sound negative about. But it all changes when the game starts.:D

DrunkHillbilly
08-09-2007, 02:23 AM
Me, I'm the pessemist. I keep my expectations low. While I may sound like I dis-like L.J., When he has the ball, I have nothing but love for the guy.

There are alot of things that I tend to sound negative about. But it all changes when the game starts.:D

Hmmm... Interesting.

Chiefster
08-09-2007, 05:35 AM

Same here; as a long time Chiefs fan it's a built in defense mechanism.