PDA

View Full Version : Realism?

Canada
04-16-2009, 08:13 AM
I am a homer!! One of the biggest around. I love the Chiefs and I talk sh!t about how great they are all the time. I think they will win every game they play and I think we are going to have a kick as$ season. I don't question the fandom of others. You want to say we will be 3-13 this year go ahead!! I don't know how mcuh fun that is but its your choice. However, I am getting real tired of the "realists" You think that if you say we are going to be a poor team then you are a "realist" but the fact is, that is a pessimist. Please stop acting like you know everything just because you can predict that we might only win 5 games. Fact is we are halfway through FA and a week and a bit from the draft and yet you "realists" (who are actually pessimists who don't get the meaning of the words) seem to have a realistic idea of what the team is going to be like in Sept with very little information. So, to be a realist I would think you need all the facts before you make a judgement, otherwise it is a guess and you are guessing on the negative side because you are a pessimist. Does not make you a better or worse fan but stop acting like you are basing all you opinions on fact. you are not because all the facts are not in yet!!

re⋅al⋅is⋅tic  –adjective 1.interested in, concerned with, or based on what is real or practical: a realistic estimate of costs; a realistic planner. 2.pertaining to, characterized by, or given to the representation in literature or art of things as they really are: a realistic novel. 3.resembling or simulating real life: a duck hunter skilled at making realistic decoys. 4.Philosophy. of or pertaining to realists or realism.

pes·si·mism A tendency to stress the negative or unfavorable or to take the gloomiest possible view: "We have seen too much defeatism, too much pessimism, too much of a negative approach" (Margo Jones).

The doctrine or belief that this is the worst of all possible worlds and that all things ultimately tend toward evil.

Sn@keIze
04-16-2009, 08:31 AM
I am a homer!! One of the biggest around. I love the Chiefs and I talk sh!t about how great they are all the time. I think they will win every game they play .....

Thats not realistic:D

Seriously, you cant blame somebody for thinking we are going to struggle after seeing our worst season ever.

Its not like anybody here wants the Chiefs to do bad.

Canada
04-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Thats not realistic:D

Seriously, you cant blame somebody for thinking we are going to struggle after seeing our worst season ever.

Its not like anybody here wants the Chiefs to do bad.

I don't blame them for feeling that way, however, feeling that way is pessimistic not realistic.

Pessimistically ...we will be bad because we were bad last year ( that is just plain uninformed logic)

Realistically ...we have a new Coach, GM, Coordinators and players. Things could be on the way up.

I don't care what peoples opinions are, I am just tired of the pessimistic opinions being considers the "realsistic" ones. Why is 10 wins so unrealistic?

Vanilla Garilla
04-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Well said Canada. The truth is there is no realism at this point in any predictions or opinions. The truth is we came off our worse season ever, we had a very positive management change, we brought in a lot of new guys and no one will know how they play.

The point is, nobody knows if were gonna be giving the lions a run for their money again, or if were gonna be this years Miami Dolphins, it is way too early to tell. So why not be optomistic about our team, and at least have a good feeling all the way until we see them. A lot of you guys need to stop acting like this fella below.

file:///C:/Users/Kevin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpgfile:///C:/Users/Kevin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.jpghttp://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/04/28.jpg

honda522
04-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Rep! :)

AussieChiefsFan
04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Rep! :)
I'll second that!:)

tornadospotter
04-16-2009, 10:40 AM
I am with Canada, and yes I am a,
HOMER! and proud of it.
:bananen_smilies046:

prough91
04-16-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't blame them for feeling that way, however, feeling that way is pessimistic not realistic.

Pessimistically ...we will be bad because we were bad last year ( that is just plain uninformed logic)

Realistically ...we have a new Coach, GM, Coordinators and players. Things could be on the way up.

I don't care what peoples opinions are, I am just tired of the pessimistic opinions being considers the "realsistic" ones. Why is 10 wins so unrealistic?

I don't think 10 wins is unrealistic, nor do I think 6 or 11 is either. Am I a optirealispessimist?

Canada
04-16-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't think 10 wins is unrealistic, nor do I think 6 or 11 is either. Am I a optirealispessimist?

I know how you display your pesmoptirealistiistive point of view!! :bananen_smilies046:

N TX Dave
04-16-2009, 11:58 AM
I am with you Canada I am so tire of all these pessimist saying we will be lucky to win 4 games or whatever as thought it was fact when in FACT no one knows what we will be like. Now they might be able to come back in here after the season and and I told you so but until then how about a some positive vibes. I get tired of all the glass is half empty attitudes in here.

prough91
04-16-2009, 12:02 PM
My beer is completely empty. And I'm sad.

Canada
04-16-2009, 12:04 PM
My beer is completely empty. And I'm sad.

Just grab another one, they come in cases ya know!! :bananen_smilies046:

prough91
04-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Just grab another one, they come in cases ya know!! :bananen_smilies046:

Not when you're poor.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/03/16.jpg

chiefnut
04-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Canada http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=130220#post130220)
I am a homer!! One of the biggest around. I love the Chiefs and I talk sh!t about how great they are all the time. I think they will win every game they play .....

i to expect them to score on every play, make every stop, win every game. it is not realistic, but it is what a fan expects in his heart. although his [or her] head may tell you its impossible, the heart continues to hold onto to hope on every play. "fan" is short for fanatic and there is nothing realist to a fanatic

tornadospotter
04-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Canada http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=130220#post130220)

i to expect them to score on every play, make every stop, win every game. it is not realistic, but it is what a fan expects in his heart. although his [or her] head may tell you its impossible, the heart continues to hold onto to hope on every play. "fan" is short for fanatic and there is nothing realist to a fanatic

I am, a Fanatic with homerists tendencies! I am, what I am!
rep

chief31
04-16-2009, 07:27 PM

How does the reality compare to the prediction? If it is real close, then that qualifies as realism.

Well said Canada. The truth is there is no realism at this point in any predictions or opinions. The truth is we came off our worse season ever, we had a very positive management change, we brought in a lot of new guys and no one will know how they play.

The point is, nobody knows if were gonna be giving the lions a run for their money again, or if were gonna be this years Miami Dolphins, it is way too early to tell. So why not be optomistic about our team, and at least have a good feeling all the way until we see them. A lot of you guys need to stop acting like this fella below.

Nobody ever knows until it is done.

By that mentality, you can't make a realistic guess on the outcome of a game until it is over.

When one attempts to make a realistic guess, even before the draft, it is based on the facts that are already available.

Obviously, there will always be facts that aren't available, even right before kickoff.

Injuries are completely random sometimes.

Did the HB over eat?

Did the FS's wife cheat on him lastnight?

Is the TE's allergy acting up?

Did the RDE wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

You never have all of the facts.

That's what makes it a guess.

And a realistic guess is made, based upon the facts that you do have, and opinions that you have formed.

It's an attempt to remove any bias, rather it be pessimistic, or optimistic, and make a guess to what will happen.

I'm hearing that I am a pessimist because I have guess poor results for The Chiefs.

But it is still based on my best educated guess. And, in my opinion, realism.

If you wish to consider it pessimism, then hooray for you, for forming an opinion.

But, I am going to continue to present my guesses as realism, because that is where I am coming from with it.

Get over it.

Vanilla Garilla
04-16-2009, 07:58 PM

If you wish to consider it pessimism, then hooray for you, for forming an opinion.

But, I am going to continue to present my guesses as realism, because that is where I am coming from with it.

Get over it.

Well that's your opinion and your entitled to it, just as I am to mine. I just think its completely ridiculous to write off a team before even seeing them play one down! Well if you wanna think that the Chiefs are going to have a dreadful season, good for you. But I am going to spend my time until the season starts having a great sense of pride, hope, and confidence that are Chiefs will give it their all, and win 3 to 5 times more games this coming season. And by the way, with your "realism", if you were a dolphin or a Falcons fan last year, you probably would have been completely wrong.

Heres what I know, any team in the NFL has a chance to win against any other team they face, that's realism.

tornadospotter
04-16-2009, 10:25 PM
How does the reality compare to the prediction? If it is real close, then that qualifies as realism.

By that mentality, you can't make a realistic guess on the outcome of a game until it is over.

When one attempts to make a realistic guess, even before the draft, it is based on the facts that are already available.

Obviously, there will always be facts that aren't available, even right before kickoff.

Did the HB over eat?

And a realistic guess is made, based upon the facts that you do have, and opinions that you have formed.

It's an attempt to remove any bias, rather it be pessimistic, or optimistic, and make a guess to what will happen.

I'm hearing that I am a pessimist because I have guess poor results for The Chiefs.

Get over it.
Just stop it, You have and will always be a pessimistic member, and mod, I have questions about why you are a mod, but neverless you are, now own up to being who you are, a pessimist! A Chief fan yes you are, but always looking to put down the homers!

Canada
04-17-2009, 01:02 AM

Did the HB over eat?

Get over it.

Yeah, because those factors are equally as important as who is going to be on the team. You say what side a player got out of bed makes a difference. Who is the player you are referring to? Oh, thats right. The guy who isn't even on the team. Well educated guess. :sign0098: You keep an eye out for who has the latest case of the runs and the rest of us will watch the new team be built!! Have fun!! :bananen_smilies046:

Sn@keIze
04-17-2009, 02:08 AM
I think Chief31 is getting a bad rep on this one. Ive def. had my run ins with him in the past. But...

I have never seen anybody slam anyone for being a sunshiner. Saying "oh, your so opmisitic!"

yet it seems its OK for optimists to slam someone who feels concern for the team and willing to accept the most likely.

There is nothing wrong with being a "happy go lucky".

But they dont say "the truth hurts" for nothing. And the truth is that we just experienced our worst 2 year stretch in Chiefs history!

Therefore....

Chances are we are not going to recover in one year and go undefeated to win the superbowl. And Im sorry if that offends any of you.

Im excited about Cassell being on this team. Does that make me an optimist?

Im not sure about ol timers like Vrabel and Zach Thomas. Does that make me a pessimest?

All it means is that I have an opinion.

tornadospotter
04-17-2009, 02:16 AM
I think Chief31 is getting a bad rep on this one. Ive def. had my run ins with him in the past. But...

I have never seen anybody slam anyone for being a sunshiner. Saying "oh, your so opmisitic!"

yet it seems its OK for optimists to slam someone who feels concern for the team and willing to accept the most likely.

There is nothing wrong with being a "happy go lucky".

But they dont say "the truth hurts" for nothing. And the truth is that we just experienced our worst 2 year stretch in Chiefs history!

Therefore....

Chances are we are not going to recover in one year and go undefeated to win the superbowl. And Im sorry if that offends any of you.

Im excited about Cassell being on this team. Does that make me an optimist?

Im not sure about ol timers like Vrabel and Zach Thomas. Does that make me a pessimest?

All it means is that I have an opinion.
Trust me Chief31 deserves all he gets! I am sure he can handle it, but he can be a jerk to us homers at times.

Chiefster
04-17-2009, 02:46 AM
I take a "wait and see" approach. :D

Chiefster
04-17-2009, 02:49 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rep!

Canada
04-17-2009, 07:19 AM

No, but try and have a discussion and see how quickly your opinion is attacked. I am done discussing this but I believe if you read in my original post I said i u want to be a pessimist go ahead. I really dont care. My whole point is that people here think pessimism = realism and that is a load of bullsh!t. I don't slam anyone for it, that is just the way it is. And yes my friend...I do hear a lot of people say you are such a homer or take off the rose colored glasses. It has even gone as far as telling me that I am not a real fan because I do not look at the bad side of the team. I have been slammed plenty of times for my attitude.

chiefnut
04-17-2009, 04:44 PM
its not hard to understand.... an optimist may raise the spirit of a pesimist so its hard to complain about someone who made you feel better
but a pesimist may bring down the spirit of an optimist so they will complain when someone rains on their parade and makes them feel bad.
that said everyone has a valid opinion and insight whether optimistic/pesimistic/realistic/fantastic...whatever.
i can look at our schedule and see each game as a win, some as probably not, some as maybe not etc... but all as winable games if only.......

chief31
04-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Just stop it, You have and will always be a pessimistic member, and mod, I have questions about why you are a mod, but neverless you are, now own up to being who you are, a pessimist! A Chief fan yes you are, but always looking to put down the homers!

That is incorrect.

I haven't always "been" (or appeared to be) a pessimist.

When Roaf and Shields were here, I had no doubt that we were going to beat everyone. Same with the DT/Neil Smith years. Joe Montana.

The fact is that when I think we have a good team, I express my opinion as such.

However, when I feel like we have a poor team, then I express that opinion too.

And for the past two seasons, I think we had a pretty poor team.

I don't put down anyone for their optimism. I may disagree, as that is great discussion. But I don't call people "homer" or use the "rose colored glasses" terms. (At least not since the days of the site being jovial) And I definitely don't proclaim that one isn't a "real" fan if they are too optimistic/pessimistic.

I have already explained how I make my predictions, and that they are always between the pessimistic and the optimistic views that I have.

This goes way back, and Chief31 is a butthead at times. Chief31 is the one with the problem. He does not like Homers!

I am socked by this.

And, for everyone else, I do like "Homers". As long as they are Chiefs "Homers".

Yes, I am a butthead at times. No argument there.

And the problem that I have is with some folks telling others that they aren't "real" fans.

So then why do I have to lighten up? I believe a mod just aired my personal laundry out in a public forum.

MOD ABUSE!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

If the fact that someone tried to talk to you and you copped an attitude is "airing you dirty laundry" then your dirty laundry has been aired all over this site for quite some time... By yourself.

Drunker Hillbilly
04-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Once again, everyone else is wrong!!!!! WEIRD!!!!!!!

chiefnut
04-20-2009, 09:59 AM
this is why i talk to myself, i can always count on me to agree w/me, well most of the times.

Canada
04-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Man, all I want is a little excitement going into the season. I have heard for three years all the things wrong with the Chiefs. Things are changing but the is still an underlying feeling of doom in Chiefs Nation (which I am sure is residual from the Herm/CP era. Maybe I come off wrong when I post because a bunch of people are all bent outta shape now but I am just trying to get people to cheer for the team we all love. A new era of Chiefs football is here. Everyone who was screaming for Herm and CPs heads, got their wish. Now there are people who don;t like Haley and blah blah blah. I don't know man, I think I am with you Chiefnut. I am gonna talk to myself. My apologies to anyone who was offended by anything I said or posted. Feel free to say whatever you like and if I happen to disagee with it then I will tell my friends here over a beer in the garage!!

chief31
04-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Man, all I want is a little excitement going into the season. I have heard for three years all the things wrong with the Chiefs. Things are changing but the is still an underlying feeling of doom in Chiefs Nation (which I am sure is residual from the Herm/CP era. Maybe I come off wrong when I post because a bunch of people are all bent outta shape now but I am just trying to get people to cheer for the team we all love. A new era of Chiefs football is here. Everyone who was screaming for Herm and CPs heads, got their wish. Now there are people who don;t like Haley and blah blah blah. I don't know man, I think I am with you Chiefnut. I am gonna talk to myself. My apologies to anyone who was offended by anything I said or posted. Feel free to say whatever you like and if I happen to disagee with it then I will tell my friends here over a beer in the garage!!

Myself, I tend to come off as negative, because I present the other side of the story.

I always bring the "but" <Insert joke here>

I come off as anti Cassel. I am not.

The masses say he was 11-5 with all of these great numbers.

Then I have the "but", or the other side of that story to add.

He played on a team that was 16-0 the year before. He got sacked alot with an o-line that was one of the best with Brady the previous season.

Etc., etc.

I come off as anti Haley. I am not.

Everybody knows that he OCd the Cards to The Super Bowl and a top offense.

But there is more to it than that.

And because I present the rest of the story, or the "but", I find myself in long discussions where I am having to show more and more negative, to express that it isn't all wonderful.

Make no doubt, I see the bright side. Especially with Herm gone.

BUT, I see reason to be cautious as well.

I am not all negative, because I can see the negative.

tornadospotter
04-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Myself, I tend to come off as negative, because I present the other side of the story.

I always bring the "but" <Insert joke here>

I come off as anti Cassel. I am not.

The masses say he was 11-5 with all of these great numbers.

Then I have the "but", or the other side of that story to add.

He played on a team that was 16-0 the year before. He got sacked alot with an o-line that was one of the best with Brady the previous season.

Etc., etc.

I come off as anti Haley. I am not.

Everybody knows that he OCd the Cards to The Super Bowl and a top offense.

But there is more to it than that.

And because I present the rest of the story, or the "but", I find myself in long discussions where I am having to show more and more negative, to express that it isn't all wonderful.

Make no doubt, I see the bright side. Especially with Herm gone.

BUT, I see reason to be cautious as well.

I am not all negative, because I can see the negative.
You tend to be negative with every post you post. I would think that you could be positive more often. Try it, you might find it refreshing to the soul.

chief31
04-20-2009, 11:15 AM
You tend to be negative with every post you post. I would think that you could be positive more often. Try it, you might find it refreshing to the soul.

Surely you exaggerate.

Noone seems to notice when I do post the positive because so few are willing to oppose the bright side.

As for some evidence of my being positive, perhaps you can check into my opinion of Mike Goff.

And I thought my 7-9 prediction showed some positive light. That is a 350% increase in wins.

I also put somewhere, that I am slightly impressed with the new leadership, since the "Not that impressed" thread. (Zack Thomas thread, I believe.)

I wasn't that impressed then. I am slightly impressed of late.

I am not all negative. You just don't notice when I am positive, because those discussions are very short. Noone makes a big long debate over it. Because noone is in denial of the positive.

And quit being mean to me. I didn't have time to keep The Ottawa Chiefs going!:D

tornadospotter
04-20-2009, 11:22 AM
:imagestore (13)::AA: :mob:

chiefnut
04-20-2009, 11:27 AM

I think its great when fans have unbridaled optimism for their teams, me i'm cautiously optimistic. i do think for many fans who have poured their all into their team and watched it crash & burn kinda rips their heart out so they would rather have lower expectations so as not to have their hearts crushed again. w/lower expectations comes the likelyhood not to be disappointed again, but if the CHIEFS just do slightly better than the predicts they will start getting truly excited.

IlovetheChiefs
04-20-2009, 05:19 PM
In view of the changes and acquisitions for the Chiefs in recent months, and the possible drafting of Curry, an Eagles fan today said, "They're gonna be f****n' good this year. They'll probably kick our a** when they come here."

Now since that's an EAGLES fan talking, I'd say that's some good realism in being excited about the Chiefs in '09!

But as I've always said anyway, I love the Chiefs and love watching them play and would never talk trash on them ever regardless of their record. They rock no matter what! (But all the sweeter when they contend for the playoffs which I think is VERY realistic this upcoming season!)

Bike
04-20-2009, 06:41 PM
In view of the changes and acquisitions for the Chiefs in recent months, and the possible drafting of Curry, an Eagles fan today said, "They're gonna be f****n' good this year. They'll probably kick our a** when they come here."

Now since that's an EAGLES fan talking, I'd say that's some good realism in being excited about the Chiefs in '09!

But as I've always said anyway, I love the Chiefs and love watching them play and would never talk trash on them ever regardless of their record. They rock no matter what! (But all the sweeter when they contend for the playoffs which I think is VERY realistic this upcoming season!)
Thats what I call getting real!!!:bananen_smilies046:
REP.
CHIEFS

Chiefster
04-21-2009, 01:03 AM
The bottom line is that we are all free to express whatever opinions we have here, to agree and respectfully disagree with each other regarding said opinions. It makes no sense and only raises ones blood pressure getting worked up and angry over a personal point of view that you are, more than likely, never going to change.