PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Coffee as RB from Alabama

dbolan
04-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I think this guy would be a great pick-up for anyone in later rounds. He's a tough runner and always wants the extra yard. He is a pretty balanced player with speed, power and pass catching.

jmlamerson
04-16-2009, 11:10 AM
I think this guy would be a great pick-up for anyone in later rounds. He's a tough runner and always wants the extra yard. He is a pretty balanced player with speed, power and pass catching.

No. As we're apparently not trading/cutting LJ, we don't need another RB. We have enough needs that every one of our picks counts.

Vanilla Garilla
04-16-2009, 11:15 AM
I would be more prone to Shonn Greene, from The University Of Iowa. He would be a great addition to The Chiefs, so would linebacker Mitch King from here.

honda522
04-16-2009, 11:24 AM
No. As we're apparently not trading/cutting LJ, we don't need another RB. We have enough needs that every one of our picks counts.
Don't count that out yet.

dbolan
04-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Don't count that out yet.

Correct.

And besides, Lamerson, I said he would be a good pick-up for ANYONE in the later rounds.

Regardless, if we keep LJ or not, we still need competition at the RB spot and if I recall, other than LJ, we do not have a power type runner that can catch AND block.

Shonne Green would not be a bad idea either. I am sure the Pioli group is NOT ruling out anything that may improve the team although RB's may be lower on the list.

jmlamerson
04-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Correct.

And besides, Lamerson, I said he would be a good pick-up for ANYONE in the later rounds.

Regardless, if we keep LJ or not, we still need competition at the RB spot and if I recall, other than LJ, we do not have a power type runner that can catch AND block.

Shonne Green would not be a bad idea either. I am sure the Pioli group is NOT ruling out anything that may improve the team although RB's may be lower on the list.

Believe it or not, we don't need to draft RBs, TEs, and Ss every single year, even though we inevitably do. It would be nice to have a draft focused on positions that we actually need rather than on depth/competition. You know, the kind of draft we haven't had for a decade or so.

Canada
04-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Correct.

LJ can catch and block? :D

jamesald
04-16-2009, 01:02 PM

Everyone else was like "No the chiefs dont need him!" haha, but I agree that Coffee would be a good addition to any team. It's tough to call where he goes in the draft, but if he isn't drafted until the 5th round or so, then he will be a great pick up and if he's in the right situation, he could contribute immediately.

tornadospotter
04-16-2009, 02:07 PM
I would be more prone to Shonn Greene, from The University Of Iowa. He would be a great addition to The Chiefs, so would linebacker Mitch King from here.

Shonn is a solid strong and speedy back that has that second gear for when he gets into the open field he clicks on the after burners and scores a TD. If he can translate that into the NFL he will be a awsome pick up for any team. Mitch King , damn man I love the kid cuz he is the perfect scenerio when you say it isn't the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. He is under sized compared to most DLinemen but if anyone under estimates him because of that will pay the price because he can take on most 300 pounders on the line and still get sacks. I have watched him do it against Penn State and Ohio State. Both teams are known for having very large OLinemen and he would take over games because he could. The crazy thing too is he does it when the team needs it, it isn't a all game party but when the team needs a defensive shut down to win the game, Mitch is a step up guy. With that said I just don't know if he is a Pioli guy, Pioli likes big nasty 330 pound DT's and if he were to look at the films on Mitch I think he would love the guy but I just don't see him doing that. Would be killer to have either guy on the Chiefs though.
links, post a link on these guys. If there is any.

Vanilla Garilla
04-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Shonn is a solid strong and speedy back that has that second gear for when he gets into the open field he clicks on the after burners and scores a TD. If he can translate that into the NFL he will be a awsome pick up for any team. Mitch King , damn man I love the kid cuz he is the perfect scenerio when you say it isn't the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. He is under sized compared to most DLinemen but if anyone under estimates him because of that will pay the price because he can take on most 300 pounders on the line and still get sacks. I have watched him do it against Penn State and Ohio State. Both teams are known for having very large OLinemen and he would take over games because he could. The crazy thing too is he does it when the team needs it, it isn't a all game party but when the team needs a defensive shut down to win the game, Mitch is a step up guy. With that said I just don't know if he is a Pioli guy, Pioli likes big nasty 330 pound DT's and if he were to look at the films on Mitch I think he would love the guy but I just don't see him doing that. Would be killer to have either guy on the Chiefs though.

Amen to that. Mitch went to high school with my wife, just 15 minutes north of where I live, so we are all rooting for him.

Rep to you my fellow Iowan!

Vanilla Garilla
04-16-2009, 03:44 PM
links, post a link on these guys. If there is any.

Shonn Greene: Shonn Greene Stats, News, Photos - Iowa Hawkeyes - NCAA College Football - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160849)

Mitch King: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33092&draftyear=2009&genpos=DE

tornadospotter
04-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Shonn Greene: Shonn Greene Stats, News, Photos - Iowa Hawkeyes - NCAA College Football - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160849)

Mitch King: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33092&draftyear=2009&genpos=DE

Ok, now post video links if any.

honda522
04-16-2009, 07:23 PM
True, he can definately catch the ball but his blocking skills need help. TG had trouble with blocking when he was first on the field as a Chief . I remember hearing Gunhard saying in a interview that he would stay after practice to help him out with it so they would have solid blocking from him . Doing things like that is what helps develop players into HOF men, we need leaders on the team now to help our young kids develop into strong knowledgable men that can do everything their position needs of them.
The differance is TG worked to learn how...LJ doesn't want to block.

honda522
04-16-2009, 07:30 PM
I say we trade/cut/gag him and dump him the mo river, or whatever we have to do to get rid of him. Then sign a F/A or undrafted RB. Decent ones arn't really that hard to find.

dbolan
04-17-2009, 09:01 AM
LJ can catch and block? :D

Poor choice of wording by me...LJ is is the only power runner but he is not suffiecient in pass catching and blocking, where as, Glenn Coffe is.

LOL! Sorry about that!

tornadospotter
04-17-2009, 09:28 AM
YouTube - 2008 Glenn Coffee SportsCenter Segment

honda522
04-17-2009, 09:42 AM
To be honest tho, if where going to throw to a back, we have Kolby and Jamal who can catch and are willing to block. Kolby is a little better at running that Jamal. But I don't think we are going to be a running team much.

honda522
04-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Don't allow the offensive situation in Arizona force you into believe that we will have the same type of offense. I would agree that yes Jaamal and Kolby are good at catching the ball and can block but the problem you run into when you have a multi back system is the defense can 80% of the time guess what your up to by the personel you have on the field. If we had 1 back that can do it all then we can mix things up and keep the defense honest.
True, but I am not basing it on the way Arizona did it. I am basing it on the Patriot way, with the addition of our fan QB Matt Cassel. If we were going to stick to a running game, do you think we would of picked up Cassel, or seen if Thigpen was the man.

tornadospotter
04-17-2009, 10:19 AM
I seen nothing I liked to be honest , he is into himself quite a bit and sort of an ego maniac. Shonn Greene is humble and just gets the job done.

Here is a vid on Shonn, no comments just highlights period.
YouTube - Shonn Greene Heisman Style Highlights (Future NFL STAR) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWZwH9VVJU)
:sign0098:

honda522
04-17-2009, 10:54 AM
By the Patriot way:
The Pats have always had one or 2 backs with similiar styles and one small difference, one was forpower running and the other speed. Both can get yards thru the air and on the ground and can block for pass protection. Don't forget that having a good running attack relies on the ability to kill thru the air, it isn't all one or the other. I have yet to witness a team that is all one way running or passing that won the Superbowl with exception to the 49ers and the West Coast offense , but even they had Roger Craig who could run with the best of them. I believe he was the first player ever to get 1,000 yrd rushing and 1,000 yrds passing in the same season so maybe I am not understanding where your headed with your comments but they seem all single minded. It takes a balanced attack to dominate unless you intend on relying on your defense to win the game for you.I believe the Pats picked up Fred Taylor this off season so they must have a need for a RB, I feel we need to follow suit and if LJ can't produce or he won't block then we need a guy that will or the offense will struggle .
I'm not saying we need to cut running the ball out all together, I am just saying LJ will not work with the scheme. We should dump him off and find a back that can do both, without worrying about if he gets the ball or not.

Here is LJ's problem. If he is going to play, he wants the ball. So he can "make a play", he has become a greedy ball hog ever since we stopped running it with him alot.

jmlamerson
04-17-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm not saying we need to cut running the ball out all together, I am just saying LJ will not work with the scheme. We should dump him off and find a back that can do both, without worrying about if he gets the ball or not.

Here is LJ's problem. If he is going to play, he wants the ball. So he can "make a play", he has become a greedy ball hog ever since we stopped running it with him alot.

Corey Dillon was exactly the same back as LJ. Though a single-dimension back, a cancer, and past his prime, he helped the Pats to two SBs. Given a real coach and GM for the first time, LJ might just thrive.

wichitaj
04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Correct.

Shonn will be gone before the Chiefs are willing to use a pick on a running back. I agree that Coffee is a good late round pack. I worry that Shonn Greene and Javon Ringer have too many carries under their belt already, and if the Chiefs could get a quality back they wouldn't have to worry about LJ holding them hostage.

dbolan
04-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Well, Coffee ran a 4.5 40 at pro day and runs just as hard with the pads on. He also rushed for almost 1400 yards last year and that was accomplished in the SEC..Not the Big 10 or Big 12. ;-) Just as well..He does not have the work or weight ethic issues either.

On another quick note, whilst Walker Football . com says Coffee is "light" at 6' and 209lbs. they should note that he was in the top 10 of 46 in bench press reps. I believe Shonn Greene was a little week with a walloping 19 reps for a 230 lb guy?

Shonn Greene, Iowa
Height: 5-11. Weight: 227.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
Combine 40 Time: 4.63.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.55.
Benchx225: 19. Vertical: 39. Broad: 10-6.
Projected Round (2009): 2-3.

Glen Coffee, Alabama
Height: 6-0. Weight: 209.
Projected 40 Time: 4.49.
Combine 40 Time: 4.58.
Benchx225: 24. Vertical: 36. Broad: 10-1.
Projected Round (2009): 5.

dbolan
04-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Northwestern, Iowa State, Pitt and Indiana were where he had some bigs games...From the highlight reel I seen, I think a lot of credit goes to the O Line! LMAO!! Gawd! If you don't get touched by the time you get 10 yards up field, then hit a DB at full speed....I would tend to think you could, would and should amass some serious yardage! ;-)

Sorry but it just comes down to who has the best highlight reel in this case! hehe

dbolan
04-20-2009, 08:07 PM
I left out Maine and Purdue as well....LMAO!!

dbolan
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
You say Big 10 and Big 12 as if those are lesser divisions of NCAA.

In this era, I would have to say that they are. You can throw the WAC in there to if it makes you feel better! Just ribbin' ya!

DT14PRIEST
04-20-2009, 09:39 PM
from 2000 - 2009 the SEC has won 4 National titles 2 for Florida and 2 for LSU, Big 12 had 2 as Oklahoma had 1 and Texas 1, The Big Ten had 1 ,Ohio State had 1, Pac 10 has 1 , USC - 1 , ACC has 1 , Miami - 1 So if you count National titles yea they have dominated that but I am one of those guys that thinks the system is still too based around popularity . I would be willing to bet, if and when the NCAA has a playoff system installed things will change across the entire US Division wise. I don't think for once that Iowa would be in the National title picture but I think the Big Ten would have won more than 1. The Big 12 would have definately won more than 1 as well, between Texas,Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State , one of those teams would have been in it. I also think USC would have been in it as well, the thing is in a playoff system anyone of those teams could beat one another and definately defeat Florida orLSU, the Iowa Hawkeyes beat both Florida and LSU in this era in bowl games. That says something there as those are the only SEC Teams that won National title from 2000 - 2009, interesting huh?
College Football Nation: National Champions: 2000-2009 (http://cfbnation.blogspot.com/2006/08/national-champions-2000-2009.html)

- USC split the national title in 2003 with LSU so they technically won 2.

- The Big Ten has been represented by Ohio State in 3 National titles (Twice in consecutive years) since 2000

- The bowl system/conference system is a revolving door of dominance between the FBS conferences: Big 12, Big 10, SEC, PAC-10, ACC all hit their strides at different times with this decade belonging to the SEC (Florida and LSU in particular)

- I think the exclusion of the Mountain West is a bit biased and Boise State/FSU/UH have given some sembleance of respectability to the WAC. I think it'd be best to include them in the FBS and have a shot at BCS bowls on a yearly basis (i.e. that Boise State/OU game)

I don't know where I'm going with this.

DT14PRIEST
04-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Actually thats cool info because it explains how Ohio State may have been one of the more dominating teams in the decade proving Big Ten is a contender in the FBS. I would venture to say that Oklahoma is also one of the decades power house teams as is USC, all 3 of these teams have been in it almost every year in the #1 spot atleast one time a year every year except last year. Ohio State had issues last year.

Some schools should be considered non-factors then if you want to consider a conference as a whole because they're perennial contenders throughout time really regardless of the strength of their individual conferences. Even in down years or 'rebuilding years' certain schools still seem to be in the hunt for a BCS game

dbolan
04-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Not saying those conferences are not contenders but all of us know how tough the SEC is and it is pretty much proven that when it comes to championship games, the SEC has proven that they are better. Sorry, that it just the way it is. For example, a 2-loss LSU team spanks Ohio State in a game where OSU should have been the domineer.

Seriously...I like the Big 12 because i lived in Wichita for 22 years which is one reason why I became a Chiefs fan many moons ago but to sit around the campfire and say that the SEC isn't any better would just be wrong! LOL! Kudos to the Big 12 because they have vastly improved over the past several years in their entirety....Not just a couple of good teams.

dbolan
04-21-2009, 01:04 PM
You mean the Big 12 actually just started being better? What about the Nebraska teams that the SEC Florida and ACC Miami teams could never defeat? Tom Osbournes system dominated College football for a very long stint. Since his retirement, the SEC and ACC has just started to get some notariaty.

I would not go as far as to say Osbornes system "dominated for a very long stint" but I do give props to him for the great accomplishments. And as far as the SEC getting notoriety due to Osborne's retirement....The record shows that the SEC won a championship right before Osborne won two and for the record, the SEC holds more championships (18) than the Big 12.

I believe my comment (compliment) was that "as a whole" the Big 12 has gotten better. Yes, Nebraska was a very good team for a long time and undeniabley so.

7 of the past 10 years the title has belonged to SEC or ACC Teams. I belive 5 of 10 were to SEC Teams. I included the ACC because they are in the SE region which undoubtedly is a top competitor and neighbor to the SEC.

This is the link I used...

NCAA College Football Division 1A Past Champions (http://www.rauzulusstreet.com/football/college/collegechampionship.htm)

It's all good though, right? :yahoo: