PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Johnson was he missused ?

KC-Krazo
06-02-2006, 08:22 AM
I think he was! Early in the season the pass rushes he was involved in were awsume! He flat ran over most anyone that tried to block him. :hammer: Im betting herm saw that too! That was some crazy stuff watching Derrick take fullbacks out with a full speed running hit. All i have to say is turn that man loose. ;-)

Chiefster
06-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Definitely! Guru's signature animated GIF makes the point you're outlining here quite nicely. I would like to see a lot more of him just pass rushing the QB like that, although he also proved his worth by sitting back, playing his position, and avoiding the block in run situations.

Guru
06-02-2006, 05:22 PM
As long as Gun can find a way to get him unblocked at least one to two times per game, he will be an absolute force. :hammer:

briank
06-03-2006, 02:02 AM
It all starts at the D-Line. If our boys can get some push, it will free up guys like Johnson and Bell. I think Bell and Johnson can cause some real problems if they are used according to their talents. It would be pretty cool to see the both of those guys rushing the passer on some plays........

Guru
06-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Welcome Briank!!!

I think Bell could be this seasons story. If they get him in his proper position, he and DJ could be monsters. With Gun at the defensive helm, having HIS coaches, plus a defensive minded head coach.... This could be a fun year.

briank
06-03-2006, 02:10 AM
I totally agree!

Night all!

KC-Krazo
06-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Don't get me wrong. When bell was with pittsburg man he was a monster. But it seemed his playing weight was a bit less. Or mabey he was just moving so fast he looked lighter. lol. What do you wanna bet he is in a heck of alot better shape for this season . :lol:

Guru
06-03-2006, 02:28 AM
I am counting on it.

Chiefster
06-03-2006, 02:51 AM
briank wrote:
I totally agree!

Night all!

Nite briank; and welcome! :hammer:

Chiefster
06-03-2006, 02:52 AM
KC-Krazo wrote:
Don't get me wrong. When bell was with pittsburg man he was a monster. But it seemed his playing weight was a bit less. Or mabey he was just moving so fast he looked lighter. lol. What do you wanna bet he is in a heck of alot better shape for this season . :lol:

I'll bet that is a safe bet. :-)

Johnson and Bell; the next 1-2 punch???

Guru
06-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Chiefster wrote:

Well THAT is an obvious SAFE bet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Johnson and Bell? There has to be a nickname in there somewhere for that tandem. :-?

Chiefster
06-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Guru wrote:

Chiefster wrote:

Well THAT is an obvious SAFE bet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Johnson and Bell? There has to be a nickname in there somewhere for that tandem. :-?

For sure; the dynamic duo????

I'm grasping here; help a Chief fan out. :lol:

KC-Krazo
06-05-2006, 07:26 AM
I hope so. :-? I still think he was slow last year. Bell that is. :-(

Chiefster
06-05-2006, 02:19 PM
KC-Krazo wrote:
I hope so. :-? I still think he was slow last year. Bell that is. :-(

Yeah KC hasn't had a dynamic duo since Thomas and Smith. Those were the days!

KC-Krazo
06-07-2006, 09:52 AM
I loved those days. Dale Carter and James Hastings were having some good years about then to. But they did also let ya mug the wide recievers then. :hammer:

chief31
06-07-2006, 11:43 AM
maybe a bit cheesy,but...............D-BELL?
...........as in...for whome D-BELL tolls.

Chiefster
06-07-2006, 01:34 PM
chief31 wrote:

Pretty good; better then anything that John Madden ever came up with.

Guru
06-07-2006, 11:50 PM
chief31 wrote:

I like it. At least until someone dethrones that title. :-D

Guru
06-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Chiefster wrote:

chief31 wrote:

Don't you mean Berman? I don't remember Madden ever really giving nicknames. Just BOOM!!!

Chiefster
06-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Guru wrote:

Chiefster wrote:

chief31 wrote:

Don't you mean Berman? I don't remember Madden ever really giving nicknames. Just BOOM!!!

Yeah that's the guy. :-D

Guru
06-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Chris "I can make a stupid moronic nickname for anyone" Berman

Chiefster
06-08-2006, 01:30 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Halfcan
06-13-2006, 12:44 AM
I think they will use DJ to chase the QB a lot more-at least that is what I hope they do.

Guru
06-13-2006, 01:16 AM
Halfcan wrote:
I think they will use DJ to chase the QB a lot more-at least that is what I hope they do.

I hope they get everybody sacking the QBs this year. Like the old days. I.E., Steve Young and Jeff George. :-D

Chiefster
06-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Guru wrote:

Halfcan wrote:

I hope they get everybody sacking the QBs this year. Like the old days. I.E., Steve Young and Jeff George. :-D

That would definitely be worth the price of admission. :-D

Guru
06-13-2006, 01:49 AM
Chiefster wrote:

There is nothing better than watching the opposing QB run for his life on practically every play.

Chiefster
06-13-2006, 01:57 AM
Guru wrote:

Chiefster wrote:

There is nothing better than watching the opposing QB run for his life on practically every play.

Especially in his own end zone.

milkman
07-01-2006, 09:29 PM
As much as I dislike Gun, in the use of DJ, he didn't make a mistake.

DJ can, with his speed, rush the passer.

But his strength lies in getting into passing lanes and creating havoc and turnovers in open space.

Because pass D is more complex than simply just rushing the passer, it takes longer for a player like DJ to asimilate info, and use that knowledge to make plays.

He's had a year in the NFL.
His play will be more instinctive and fluid this year.

With the Chiefs apparently converting to a cover 2 as their base D, DJ will excel.

Think Derrick Brooks.

Or go back further, think Jack Lambert.

milkman
07-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Also, in a cover 2, LBs don't blitz nearly as often.
It relies on the front four to create pressure.

Bell, in a cover 2, because his coverage skills are virtually non-existent, will be virtually useless as a LB.

If we get anything from him, as highly unlikely as it is, it will be as a rush end.

Guru
07-02-2006, 12:59 AM
milkman wrote:

But his strength lies in getting into passing lanes and creating havoc and turnovers in open space.

Because pass D is more complex than simply just rushing the passer, it takes longer for a player like DJ to asimilate info, and use that knowledge to make plays.

With the Chiefs apparently converting to a cover 2 as their base D, DJ will excel.

Think Derrick Brooks.

It will be interesting to see how everything pans out with the defense this year. I sure hope we see more improvement than last year. I certainly expect it... but expecting and getting are two totally different things.

Chiefster
07-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Guru wrote:

milkman wrote:

Think Derrick Brooks.

It will be interesting to see how everything pans out with the defense this year. I sure hope we see more improvement than last year. I certainly expect it... but expecting and getting are two totally different things.

At this point; I would like to have high expectations, but really don't have a clue as to what to expect. (Not that that's anything new)

Guru
07-02-2006, 01:19 AM
Chiefster wrote:

At this point; I would like to have high expectations, but really don't have a clue as to what to expect. (Not that that's anything new)

I am renaming you....

Deciseless :hammer:

Chiefster
07-02-2006, 01:28 AM
Guru wrote:

Chiefster wrote:

I am renaming you....

Deciseless :hammer:

Eh; you're just now figuring that out? :lol:

milkman
07-02-2006, 01:30 AM
by Guru on 2006/7/2 0:59:46
It will be interesting to see how everything pans out with the defense this year. I sure hope we see more improvement than last year. I certainly expect it... but expecting and getting are two totally different things

If this defense is going to see any real improvement, someone from the group that includes Ryan Sims, Lional Dalton, Ron Edwards, and/or James Reed will have to step up and become a force in the middle.

I expect to get better production from Jared Allen, DJ, and Kawika.

I also expect better production from the left end position with the addition of Tamba Hali.

But none of it will be enough if someone in the middle doesn't command respect from the opposition O-Line.

Chiefster
07-02-2006, 01:32 AM
milkman wrote:

by Guru on 2006/7/2 0:59:46
It will be interesting to see how everything pans out with the defense this year. I sure hope we see more improvement than last year. I certainly expect it... but expecting and getting are two totally different things

If this defense is going to see any real improvement, someone from the group that includes Ryan Sims, Lional Dalton, Ron Edwards, and/or James Reed will have to step up and become a force in the middle.

I expect to get better production from Jared Allen, DJ, and Kawika.

I also expect better production from the left end position with the addition of Tamba Hali.

But none of it will be enough if someone in the middle doesn't command respect from the opposition O-Line.

Exactly! Quite frankley Sims has just sucked from day one, except from a few flashes. IMO.

milkman
07-02-2006, 01:51 AM
I still think Sims can step it up.

Half of his problem has been injury.

I'm hoping that Krumrie can fix his motivation issues by season's start.

Get him motivated and keep him healthy and we can actually win the battle in the trenches.

Chiefster
07-02-2006, 01:55 AM
milkman wrote:
I still think Sims can step it up.

Half of his problem has been injury.

I'm hoping that Krumrie can fix his motivation issues by season's start.

Get him motivated and keep him healthy and we can actually win the battle in the trenches.

Has he completed an entire season; not trying to be a wise guy here - I honestly don't know. I think much of his injury whoes in the past has been due to lack of conditioning. That, IMO, is a personal character issue that I, like you, hope that Herm will be successful in addressing with Sims.

milkman
07-02-2006, 02:02 AM
Sims played in all 16 games in '03.

Chiefster
07-02-2006, 02:33 AM
milkman wrote:
Sims played in all 16 games in '03.

One entire season over the past five is not a good track record; I'd say he has just about used up his chances.

Guru
07-02-2006, 07:47 PM
If Sims can come back and play at the level he started the season with last year, then I am looking forward to seeing what he can do for the entire season. If continues is track record though, I would say this would be his last season as a Chief.

I still won't be surprised if he is playing for another team by the end of preseason if the coaches are not getting what he wants out of him.

Chiefster
07-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Guru wrote:
If Sims can come back and play at the level he started the season with last year, then I am looking forward to seeing what he can do for the entire season. If continues is track record though, I would say this would be his last season as a Chief.

I still won't be surprised if he is playing for another team by the end of preseason if the coaches are not getting what he wants out of him.

I've always kinda questioned his willingness to play to his full potential at KC.

Halfcan
08-22-2006, 10:00 PM
I would love to see Gun let DJ loose on the QB. I think he was misused last year and should have a monster season!!!