PDA

View Full Version : lions negotiating with stafford,smith,curry

slc chief
04-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Sources: Lions negotiating with Stafford, Smith, Curry (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11642509/rss)
0 Comment (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/sources-lions-negotiating-with-stafford-smith-curry-225338.html)
April 18 CBSSports.com

Share Article (javascript:void(0))
"Two independent sources with knowledge of the situation have confirmed to NFLDraftScout.com that the Detroit Lions have entered into preliminary negotiations with the representatives for Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford, Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith and Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry for the right to be the first player selected in the 2009 NFL Draft on April 25.

The sources declined to go on the record discussing conversations related to Detroit's intentions with the selection.
While general manager Martin Mayhew has said it is "critical" for the team to have a deal in place with the No. 1 overall pick before the draft, team president Tim Lewand softened that stance a bit this week.
"It is certainly a goal of ours," Lewand told the Detroit Free Press, "and I think the teams that have been able to sign their player prior to the draft have seen a better measure of success by and large. Now is that because there's a contract in place? I don't know if there's a causal effect or not."
The move to negotiate early is similar to the one orchestrated last year by Bill Parcells and the Miami Dolphins, who opened contract talks with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long and actually agreed to a contract four days before the draft.
Previously, the Houston Texans agreed to a contract with defensive end Mario Williams before making him the first pick in 2006.
The difference with Detroit this year is that the Lions are negotiating with multiple prospects.
And the negotiating could get quite interesting with the two favorites to be the top pick -- Stafford and Smith -- being represented by Tom Condon and Ben Dogra, who both work for CAA. Curry is represented by Andy Ross of Octagon.
Stafford dined with a contingent of the Lions' top executives, including Lewand, Mayhew and coach Jim Schwartz at the scouting combine, and sources said the former Georgia quarterback was impressive at his pro day and private workout.
Most league insiders think Stafford remains the prohibitive favorite to be the top pick. Schwartz is well-versed in the risks of drafting quarterbacks so high. He came to the Lions from the Titans, who had very mixed success with a pair of No. 3 overall picks in Steve McNair and Vince Young.
"It provides perspective, but I don't think it charts a course for what we do because everybody's different," Schwartz said at the owner's meetings last month. "

honda522
04-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I bet the take Smith.

Vanilla Garilla
04-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I bet the take Smith.

Whats the point of a good OT if you don't have a QB? I don't see them taking anyone besides Stafford.

honda522
04-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Whats the point of a good OT if you don't have a QB? I don't see them taking anyone besides Stafford.
They have Culpepper, yea I know he sucks. But don't they have 2 first rounds or did they trade the other one away?

Vanilla Garilla
04-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Well Unless they did end up trading that second first round pick, I just figured they would use the 17th or whatever it is to secure a OT, because the only QB left around that time will be Freeman, and nobody is too high on him.

Coach
04-19-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure what scenario would work better for a Chiefs "trade down"scenario.

Scenario #1: Stafford goes #1 to Lions, then other teams have to move in front of Seattle to get Sanchez.

or

Scenario #2: Stafford falls to us at #3, then other team start conversations to move up in front of Seattle and get the best QB in the draft.

I can't wait for Saturday!!!!!!