PDA

View Full Version : hey guys falcons fan here!!

FLYINFALCONSGA
04-19-2009, 12:01 AM
first congrats for getting cassel and vrabel for just a second round pick scot pioli really did screw up his former team..and i just wanna say great draft last year..i was jelous of all ur pics last year and it looks like curry is the guy u all will be picking this year..anyways..alotta falcon fans are talkin about trading for Dorsey....so i came here to see what u guys thought of that...and is he on the trading block?

AussieChiefsFan
04-19-2009, 12:03 AM
first congrats for getting cassel and vrabel for just a second round pick scot pioli really did screw up his former team..and i just wanna say great draft last year..i was jelous of all ur pics last year and it looks like curry is the guy u all will be picking this year..anyways..alotta falcon fans are talkin about trading for Dorsey....so i came here to see what u guys thought of that...and is he on the trading block?I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Dorsey is staying.

:welcome:to the Crowd BTW.:bananen_smilies046:

Vanilla Garilla
04-19-2009, 12:33 AM
first congrats for getting cassel and vrabel for just a second round pick scot pioli really did screw up his former team..and i just wanna say great draft last year..i was jelous of all ur pics last year and it looks like curry is the guy u all will be picking this year..anyways..alotta falcon fans are talkin about trading for Dorsey....so i came here to see what u guys thought of that...and is he on the trading block?

Well welcome to our humble abode FlyinFalcons. As far as i have heard Dorsey is gonna be staying with the Chiefs, but who really knows right? The only trade rumor I have heard involving the Chiefs and Falcons are about Gonzales....

AussieChiefsFan
04-19-2009, 12:37 AM
The word rumor is right as Pioli has already said that all Chiefs with a contract will not be traded unless a team gives out the right deal, translation you gotta give til it hurts LOL......especially for TG.:bananen_smilies046:

jmlamerson
04-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Well welcome to our humble abode FlyinFalcons. As far as i have heard Dorsey is gonna be staying with the Chiefs, but who really knows right? The only trade rumor I have heard involving the Chiefs and Falcons are about Gonzales....

1. To cut or trade Dorsey would equal $20M in dead cap space.

2. We aren't cutting/trading Dorsey.

AussieChiefsFan
04-19-2009, 12:39 AM

Agreed.

Chief Tyler
04-19-2009, 01:15 AM

Even if it were more possible I don't think Atl has the right draft picks available, later in the round picks are meh.

jmlamerson
04-19-2009, 01:29 AM
Even if it were more possible I don't think Atl has the right draft picks available, later in the round picks are meh.

It doesn't matter what people offer, unless they offer something ridiculous. Dorsey will be a Chief in 2009 and 2010 at least for cap reasons.

theaxeeffect4311
04-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Are the Falcons interested in Tamba Hali? He is possibly the one player who may be on the trading block because he does not fit into a 3-4 defense.

jmlamerson
04-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Are the Falcons interested in Tamba Hali? He is possibly the one player who may be on the trading block because he does not fit into a 3-4 defense.

Nobody wants our lousy DL! Nobody wants Tank, Turk, Dorsey, Hali, or any other miserable Herm Edwards draft pick!

FFS, how stupid do you think other teams are?

theaxeeffect4311
04-19-2009, 02:44 AM
Nobody wants our lousy DL! Nobody wants Tank, Turk, Dorsey, Hali, or any other miserable Herm Edwards draft pick!

Actually people would want Dorsey. I could see the Colts and other teams (like the Falcons) asking about him. He is probably not available, but teams will wonder especially since you have pointed out so many times, he does not fit in a 3-4.

And I'm excited to see what Tank can do as our NT. Plus, it's funny that our NT is named Tank. It fits too well. McBride is not that bad, and he was having a decent season before he got injured last season. Not sure how he'll fit in a 3-4, but he's a former second round pick, so let's see what he can do before you write him off.

But I never put a price on Hali. And just so you know jmlamerson, there are Falcons' fans who are interested in Hali to use him rotational opposite of Abraham.

okikcfan
04-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Dorsey and Hali will remain in KC unless for some reason they don't make the cut in preseason but I don't see that happening at all. Last year was not so hot for either of them imo partly because of bad "Herm" coaching and I for one expect it to be much better this season....

IlovetheChiefs
04-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Falcons went from 3-13 to 11-5 last year. Look for our Chiefs to improve likewise. :)

honda522
04-19-2009, 10:52 AM
We wouldn't know, they keep things quite here. You do realize that was probably a fair trade for Cassel right?

Coach
04-21-2009, 01:54 AM
Dorsey could become a Falcon for the right price. The numbers that I have heard thrown around would be a 1st and 2nd or a 1st and 3rd. I'm not sure of the exact amount of the cap hit, but it really doesn't matter considering this team is about $40million under it and won't be any where close to going over it. The cap hit would not be $20 million though.
AdamJT13: A loophole around the NFL's 30 Percent Rule (http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2009/03/loophole-around-nfls-30-percent-rule.html)

AussieChiefsFan
04-21-2009, 01:57 AM
Personally I think this would be a great trade if the right one comes for the right price.

pbatrucker
04-21-2009, 04:37 AM
IMO I don't think anyone is untouchable.
I don't want to see TG traded, because we can't get as much in value for him as to what he means to our offense.
I don't want to see BW traded, not only is he one of our top players. We already need two starters on the OL, A RT and a OC. If BW goes we would have to have three starters( at least two Starters). We can't afford to use most of our draft on OL, too many other holes to fill.
:bananen_smilies046: :11:

yashi
04-21-2009, 09:13 AM

that is absolutely not true as far as Dorsey goes. Go to Google and type "glenn dorsey trade". You'll find an endless number of fans discussing trade scenarios to grab Dorsey from us.

honda522
04-21-2009, 09:36 AM
IMO I don't think anyone is untouchable.
I don't want to see TG traded, because we can't get as much in value for him as to what he means to our offense.
I don't want to see BW traded, not only is he one of our top players. We already need two starters on the OL, A RT and a OC. If BW goes we would have to have three starters( at least two Starters). We can't afford to use most of our draft on OL, too many other holes to fill.
Well said, rep.

chiefnut
04-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Agreed.

i thought they only take the cap if he's cut, but when he's traded his salary goes with him so the cap hit transfers to the new team with him.:sign0153:

jmlamerson
04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Dorsey could become a Falcon for the right price. The numbers that I have heard thrown around would be a 1st and 2nd or a 1st and 3rd. I'm not sure of the exact amount of the cap hit, but it really doesn't matter considering this team is about $40million under it and won't be any where close to going over it. The cap hit would not be $20 million though.
AdamJT13: A loophole around the NFL's 30 Percent Rule (http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2009/03/loophole-around-nfls-30-percent-rule.html)

I think you're reading that article wrong. They're talking about structuring new contracts in expectation of an uncapped year in 2010, not the cap hit we'd take in 2009.

jmlamerson
04-21-2009, 01:18 PM
i thought they only take the cap if he's cut, but when he's traded his salary goes with him so the cap hit transfers to the new team with him.:sign0153:

Salary and salary cap number are two different things.

A person's salary is their yearly salary.

A person's salary cap number is (1) a prorated portion of the player's signing bonus; and (2) their yearly salary.

If a player is cut/traded, the team that signed him to the signing bonus must count the entire remaining prorated portion of the singing bonus against their cap for that year, if they cut/trade him before June 1. It will be split for the next two years if you cut/trade him after June 1.

Assume you sign Player A to a 5 year contract, at $5M a year, with a $10M signing bonus in 2008. Assume no escalators, incentives, or any of that stuff. In 2008, that player counts for $7M against your cap. You trade Player A in 2009 before June 1. Although you don't have to pay the player any more salary, you must count the prorated bonus against your cap. Player A will count for $8M against your cap in 2009. If you cut/trade him after June 1, Player A counts $4M against your 2009 cap and $4M against your 2010 cap.

This is commonly referred to as dead cap space. You do not have to pay the salary of the person cut/traded, but he will count against your cap. The NFL does this so that teams can't sign people to huge signing bonuses and cut them the next year to avoid cap implications.

pbatrucker
04-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Salary and salary cap number are two different things.

A person's salary is their yearly salary.

A person's salary cap number is (1) a prorated portion of the player's signing bonus; and (2) their yearly salary.

If a player is cut/traded, the team that signed him to the signing bonus must count the entire remaining prorated portion of the singing bonus against their cap for that year, if they cut/trade him before June 1. It will be split for the next two years if you cut/trade him after June 1.

Assume you sign Player A to a 5 year contract, at $5M a year, with a $10M signing bonus in 2008. Assume no escalators, incentives, or any of that stuff. In 2008, that player counts for $7M against your cap. You trade Player A in 2009 before June 1. Although you don't have to pay the player any more salary, you must count the prorated bonus against your cap. Player A will count for $8M against your cap in 2009. If you cut/trade him after June 1, Player A counts $4M against your 2009 cap and $4M against your 2010 cap.

This is commonly referred to as dead cap space. You do not have to pay the salary of the person cut/traded, but he will count against your cap. The NFL does this so that teams can't sign people to huge signing bonuses and cut them the next year to avoid cap implications.

I have read somewhere, probally espn.com, that because there is no cap for next year, the total hit would be applied to 2009 and not spread out over two years.

jmlamerson
04-21-2009, 04:08 PM
I have read somewhere, probally espn.com, that because there is no cap for next year, the total hit would be applied to 2009 and not spread out over two years.

Interesting. Makes sense, I guess.

If we cut Dorsey, it's a $20M hit (actualy $19._M) then, whether before or after June 1.

wildcat
04-21-2009, 05:24 PM
We are still way under the cap from what I understand. If we had to take a cap hit, it would be better for it to be all this year. That way it would not effect the FA signings next offseason.

I hope we keep Dorsey and he turns out to be a great player, but like everybody else I'm just not sure how he is going to do in a 3-4.