PDA

View Full Version : Thigpen not happy

rustfan76
04-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Around The Web (http://blogs.nfl.com/category/around-the-web/)
Thigpen wants to be a starting quarterback (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/20/qb-thigpen-wants-to-be-a-starter-in-kc/)

Posted: Around The Web (http://blogs.nfl.com/category/around-the-web/) | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Kansas City Chiefs (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/kansas-city-chiefs/), Matt Cassel (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/matt-cassel/), Tyler Thigpen (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/tyler-thigpen/)
Chiefs QB Tyler Thigpen wants to be the starting quarterback. And you could even argue that Thigpen played well down the stretch for the Chiefs as one of the lone bright spots in a dreary season in Kansas City. But while you have to like the competitive fire from Thigpen, the Chiefs didn’t bring in Matt Cassel and his $14 million salary to back up the former seventh-round pick.
Thigpen told the Kansas City Star that he’s “not OK” with being the backup again (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1150887.html). He felt that he was going to come into the 2009 season as the starter. But he understands the situation — being Cassel’s backup — and will push on.
“It’s life,” Thigpen said Sunday. “Everything happens for a reason. You may not see the reason right now, but I know there’s a reason that they brought a guy in like Matt.
“I’m behind him, and all I’m doing is pushing him, making him better. Hopefully me doing that is going to make this team better.”Thigpen opened the 2009 season as the team’s No. 3 quarterback, but he went on to start 11 games for the Chiefs. He threw for 2,608 yards, 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions for a passer rating of 76.0.

I for one like this, the harder Thigpen tries to win the starting job . The harder Cassel will try. It's win win if they continue to push each other week in and week out. The better both will play whichever one starts.:yahoo:

wichitaj
04-21-2009, 01:00 PM
I liked the guy, but you have to win a couple. Without Tony, he'd be a real bum.

jmlamerson
04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I like Thigpen. He's a scrappy guy who would have won a couple more games last year with a real HC.

That being said, unless Cassel gets hurt or ends up in jail, Thigpen isn't starting for the Chiefs.

He'll be our backup and will mop up games if we end up blowing someone out. We might even use him for the Wildcat or trick plays. He might even line up as WR once or twice. But he won't start.

He's under contract until after the 2010 season. His best bet is to be a good soldier in 2009, and then get traded pre-season 2010 to a team needing a young QB, like the Panthers or Titans.

yashi
04-21-2009, 01:11 PM
He could very well get his opportunity again if Cassel busts. I like having him around, he has to be considered one of the better backups in the league now. Depth is good.

He probably wouldn't start anywhere else. And like it's already been said, Cassel will probably give 110% knowing that Thigpen is gunning for his job.

chiefnut
04-21-2009, 01:20 PM
I liked the guy, but you have to win a couple. Without Tony, he'd be a real bum.

on last years team w/out Tony cassel would be a real bum too. if Thiggy came out and said he's fine w/the backup role i would want to dump him. no member of an nfl team should be happy being a backup. to a man they all should believe they can be a starter given the chance or they shouldn't be there. so i'm happy he's not!

dbolan
04-21-2009, 01:24 PM

This could be relative to another thread that was posted a while back about Cassell vs. Thiggy but again....

How well do you think Cassell would have done with the same exact roster and coaches that Thiggy had with the Chiefs? And, do you think Thigpen could have done better with the Pats offensive personnel and scheme?

Food for thought, eh?

I see a good competiton here and in all seriousness, I think the head honchos will play the better QB. That is why they did NOT sign Cassell to a long term deal. They will see and if he does not pan out, then they can move on.

SDChief09
04-21-2009, 01:39 PM
This bothers me, he didnt win many games and was pretty inaccurate, I think he shined at times, but if he didnt get that chance, he wouldnt be saying anything, guys play a few games and think they are owed more, I just dont think at 3 inches shorter, with a weaker arm, that he has any advantage on cassel outside of his running ability, which Cassel is better at than people give him credit for, in fact, Cassel is tough, goes for the first down and was sacked 47 times last year, and kept going....That is the only other negative, Cassel took awhile in the pocket but got better.

Thigpen may be better than the vikings qbs right now, but I just dont see him being traded this season, not with Cassel still without a long term deal. Yes his contract is up after 2010, but he will be a restricted FA, he gets dealt next offseason after throwing a fit.

bigpoppachief
04-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Around The Web (http://blogs.nfl.com/category/around-the-web/)
Thigpen wants to be a starting quarterback (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/20/qb-thigpen-wants-to-be-a-starter-in-kc/)

Posted: Around The Web (http://blogs.nfl.com/category/around-the-web/) | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Kansas City Chiefs (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/kansas-city-chiefs/), Matt Cassel (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/matt-cassel/), Tyler Thigpen (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/tyler-thigpen/)
Chiefs QB Tyler Thigpen wants to be the starting quarterback. And you could even argue that Thigpen played well down the stretch for the Chiefs as one of the lone bright spots in a dreary season in Kansas City. But while you have to like the competitive fire from Thigpen, the Chiefs didn’t bring in Matt Cassel and his $14 million salary to back up the former seventh-round pick.
Thigpen told the Kansas City Star that he’s “not OK” with being the backup again (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1150887.html). He felt that he was going to come into the 2009 season as the starter. But he understands the situation — being Cassel’s backup — and will push on.

“It’s life,” Thigpen said Sunday. “Everything happens for a reason. You may not see the reason right now, but I know there’s a reason that they brought a guy in like Matt.
“I’m behind him, and all I’m doing is pushing him, making him better. Hopefully me doing that is going to make this team better.”Thigpen opened the 2009 season as the team’s No. 3 quarterback, but he went on to start 11 games for the Chiefs. He threw for 2,608 yards, 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions for a passer rating of 76.0.

I for one like this, the harder Thigpen tries to win the starting job . The harder Cassel will try. It's win win if they continue to push each other week in and week out. The better both will play whichever one starts.:yahoo:

I like thiggy but we are going to a more pro style system and we seen what happened in Atlanta. I think Thigpen will be good somewhere but never be a manning, Brady, type player. I really think cassell can. Sure he has been a back up his whole career but look who he has backed up. All he needed was chance and now he has it and honestly I think will go down as the greatest chiefs QB in history (hoping like hell anyways :D)

yashi
04-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Thigpen may be better than the vikings qbs right now, but I just dont see him being traded this season, not with Cassel still without a long term deal.

If the Vikings wanted him, they shouldn't have cut him in the first place!

bigpoppachief
04-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Great point lol you know they hated him doing so well !

honda522
04-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Well duh. He is just going to have to get over it like I did.

chiefnut
04-21-2009, 01:55 PM
I like thiggy but we are going to a more pro style system and we seen what happened in Atlanta. I think Thigpen will be good somewhere but never be a manning, Brady, type player. I really think cassell can. Sure he has been a back up his whole career but look who he has backed up. All he needed was chance and now he has it and honestly I think will go down as the greatest chiefs QB in history (hoping like hell anyways :D)

man what a leap of faith, or at least a leap that is!!! this guy has played one season, had a good [not HOF] year and you truly believe from that , that he will replace Lenny Dawson as the greatest CHIEFS QB ever????:beer: lots of it.

bigpoppachief
04-21-2009, 02:20 PM
[/size]

man what a leap of faith, or at least a leap that is!!! this guy has played one season, had a good [not HOF] year and you truly believe from that , that he will replace Lenny Dawson as the greatest CHIEFS QB ever????:beer: lots of it.

Ok maybe I am going a little overboard but hey why not ? I mean it doesnt hurt and the guy has some great skill sets. I had some friend swho live in KC and went and watched him in person and said his throws were MONEY missed like one or two throws the rest looked great. I DK just want something to look forward to lol

Vanilla Garilla
04-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I like Thigpen alot, but I never have seen him as a permanent starter for the Chiefs, I have seen glimpses that looked inspiring, but not a complete package. I really don't think Thigpen could be a starter anywhere in the league yet, he needs to get a few more wins behind him first.

pbatrucker
04-21-2009, 02:31 PM
[/size]

Gotta have the faith bro!!!!
:bananen_smilies046: :11:

chiefnut
04-21-2009, 04:18 PM
not a question of faith, i just don't like to get my hopes sky hi w/o some footing to stand on. i remember stu gillam, steelers qb...looked like the perfect passer..thru absolute darts 30yds on a string. chuck knoll hailed him as the future of the franchise. then three games later he was benched, bradshaw got the job the rest was super bowl history. so i'll wait a few games just to see whats shakin.

yashi
04-21-2009, 04:22 PM
not a question of faith, i just don't like to get my hopes sky hi w/o some footing to stand on. i remember stu gillam, steelers qb...looked like the perfect passer..thru absolute darts 30yds on a string. chuck knoll hailed him as the future of the franchise. then three games later he was benched, bradshaw got the job the rest was super bowl history. so i'll wait a few games just to see whats shakin.

Joe Gilliam :)

chiefnut
04-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Joe Gilliam :)

yur right , my bad....stu was his second cousin twice removed on his mothers side from poughkipsee who walked w/a limp and sang dirges in the dark:bananen_smilies046: .

YZILLA
04-21-2009, 08:35 PM
I kinda Thought Montana was a pretty decent QB for the Chiefs too.........:lol:

chiefnut
04-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Joe is an all time great but he had only a short time w/the CHIEFS historicly speakin

slc chief
04-21-2009, 09:55 PM
thigpen will be a good qb in this league one day it is not his fault his head coach last year sucked i for one say let the best qb win and i cannot wait to see them battle it out

Coach
04-21-2009, 10:15 PM
For the first time since Grbac/Gannon, we have two good QB's on this roster.

I think we need both men on this roster, because it's likely Cassell won't play every game.

jmlamerson
04-21-2009, 10:55 PM
For the first time since Grbac/Gannon, we have two good QB's on this roster.

I think we need both men on this roster, because it's likely Cassell won't play every game.

What are you talking about? We didn't trade for Cassel to rotate he and Thigpen in and out of games.

chief31
04-21-2009, 11:52 PM

Well, they were just trying to keep him on their prctice squad. I bet they would hate having to trade a high draft pick for him now. :D

I like Thigpen alot, but I never have seen him as a permanent starter for the Chiefs, I have seen glimpses that looked inspiring, but not a complete package. I really don't think Thigpen could be a starter anywhere in the league yet, he needs to get a few more wins behind him first.

Hard to get any wins if you aren't starting. :D

But I agree that he probably isn't starting material. He played well with the situation that he was in. But I don't see a bonafide starter there.(Yet)

chiefnut
04-22-2009, 12:08 AM
??? What are you talkin about bro? Joe Montana? This thread is about Tyler Thigpen.

i was responding to a post in this thread about joe montana being a great CHIEFS QB, don't ya know

texaschief
04-22-2009, 12:31 AM
You know...

The Vikings still need a starting QB and they WERE the team that drafted him. Wonder what kind of draft pick package we could get for him. I'm fine with Croyle as the backup.

lol... never mind. didn't read them all.

BallHawk92
04-22-2009, 12:37 AM
thigpen won't be starter no matter what and that is a crime. we all know that the coaches set their mind on cassel. I know they said it's a open spot but that's a bunch of crap. :mob:

chief31
04-22-2009, 12:40 AM
You know...

The Vikings still need a starting QB and they WERE the team that drafted him. Wonder what kind of draft pick package we could get for him. I'm fine with Croyle as the backup.

Agreed. And I know that it is unwise to consider such factors, but I bet The Vikes would be unwilling to offer what is fair for a Thigpen, based on the fact that they already had him at the price of a seventh round pick.

Much like if we were to try and start anyone but Cassel, or moving Albert to OG. (Hypothetically)

Eventhough it may be the best thing for your team right now, thoughts like "That means we drafted an OG in the middle of the first round last season", or "Now we are paying a backup QB starter money" still have an effect on people's decisions.

So the thoughts of "we just gave this guy away for absolutely nothing, and now we are supposed to give away a second round pick to get him back? We only gave a seventh round pick to get him in the first place!" may keep them out of even bidding on Thigpen, no matter how much they may need him.

Coach
04-22-2009, 12:42 AM
What are you talking about? We didn't trade for Cassel to rotate he and Thigpen in and out of games.

I'm talking about depth at QB. Occasionally QB's in this league have been known to get injured from time to time.

Vanilla Garilla
04-22-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm talking about depth at QB. Occasionally QB's in this league have been known to get injured from time to time.

Yeah just a little bit :lol:

texaschief
04-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Agreed. And I know that it is unwise to consider such factors, but I bet The Vikes would be unwilling to offer what is fair for a Thigpen, based on the fact that they already had him at the price of a seventh round pick.

Much like if we were to try and start anyone but Cassel, or moving Albert to OG. (Hypothetically)

Eventhough it may be the best thing for your team right now, thoughts like "That means we drafted an OG in the middle of the first round last season", or "Now we are paying a backup QB starter money" still have an effect on people's decisions.

So the thoughts of "we just gave this guy away for absolutely nothing, and now we are supposed to give away a second round pick to get him back? We only gave a seventh round pick to get him in the first place!" may keep them out of even bidding on Thigpen, no matter how much they may need him.

This line of thinking could be devastating to a club. If Pioli had that line of thinking about Cassel, he would've have given up a 2nd rounder and 14 million for a guy he gave up only a 6th rounder for a couple seasons ago. Being too prideful to acknowledge your mistakes at the expense of your club is a razor's edge.

If I'm the Vikings GM and I IF I KNOW I NEED a new QB, I would be looking at ALL available options and trying to find THE BEST option, no matter WHAT that might be. I wouldn't let my past mistakes interfere with what would be the best solution for my team. Would it absolutely suck to know I let my future franchise QB go? YES. But would I let that interfere with improving my team? NO. That would make things twice as bad, IMO.

chief31
04-22-2009, 01:15 AM
This line of thinking could be devastating to a club. If Pioli had that line of thinking about Cassel, he would've have given up a 2nd rounder and 14 million for a guy he gave up only a 6th rounder for a couple seasons ago. Being too prideful to acknowledge your mistakes at the expense of your club is a razor's edge.

If I'm the Vikings GM and I IF I KNOW I NEED a new QB, I would be looking at ALL available options and trying to find THE BEST option, no matter WHAT that might be. I wouldn't let my past mistakes interfere with what would be the best solution for my team. Would it absolutely suck to know I let my future franchise QB go? YES. But would I let that interfere with improving my team? NO. That would make things twice as bad, IMO.

You are absolutely right.

But we all remember Grbac/Gannon.

It's bad to be so prideful, but it happens.

If I am in charge of The Vikes, I am definitely looking into the possibility of re-acquiring Thigpen.

windwalker
04-22-2009, 06:53 AM

If he would have had a Defense, he would have "won a couple " !!

AussieChiefsFan
04-22-2009, 07:00 AM
If he would have had a Defense, he would have "won a couple " !!
Yeah.....

PawnshopMarimba
04-22-2009, 08:58 AM
It's really kind of frustrating to see so many people around here undercut a guy who did very well for his first season in a starting role on a very very bad team.

I'm not saying Thig should start, I'm just saying there should be a fair competition for the spot - because, after all, it remains to be seen how well Cassell would've played with OUR starting offense from last season. Thig put up comparable numbers with a decidedly worse team, and also didn't play the full season. That's gotta count for something.

Bike
04-22-2009, 09:06 AM
It's really kind of frustrating to see so many people around here undercut a guy who did very well for his first season in a starting role on a very very bad team.

I'm not saying Thig should start, I'm just saying there should be a fair competition for the spot - because, after all, it remains to be seen how well Cassell would've played with OUR starting offense from last season. Thig put up comparable numbers with a decidedly worse team, and also didn't play the full season. That's gotta count for something.
I'm with ya. I thought the qb position would be Thigs' job to lose. Now it appears to be Thigs' job to get back after the Cassel trade. Who knows, maybe Pioli packages Thig/Waters or even TG for some major picks come saturday...

Canada
04-22-2009, 09:09 AM

Thank god none of them played for the Chiefs!!

texaschief
04-22-2009, 03:32 PM
something else for the Vikings to consider...

while Thigpen isn't in Cutler's class RIGHT NOW, with the additions of Cutler, Rogers and now (according to ESPN) Mathew Stafford in that division, the Vikings are going to need a REAL QB to keep up in that division. I'd take a long look at Thigpen or perhaps another option out there to try and develop a QB for my team. Sanchez might even be an option if they want to trade up to get him. At least TWO of those options would involve the Chiefs.