PDA

View Full Version : About Curry - Per Don Banks (CNNSI)

jmlamerson
04-22-2009, 12:57 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/04/22/snaps/index.html?eref=T1

• Strange as it might sound at this late date, I talked to two club executives Tuesday who said it's not out of the question that LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson cracks the top five. That's right, the top five. Both No. 3 Kansas City and No. 5 Cleveland were mentioned as teams that conceivably could pull the trigger on a prospect who is widely considered the best 3-4 end in the draft.
It does make some sense in that the Chiefs and Browns are 3-4 defensive formation teams, and K.C.'s Scott Pioli and Cleveland's Eric Mangini came out of a Patriots system that says you always value defensive linemen above almost any other position in the draft. But Jackson in the top five might still be a little rich in terms of his draft grade, and teams are always hesitant to select someone in that ultra-pricey neighborhood and overpay for a pick that smacks of being a reach.

• The buzz about the Chiefs resuming their attempts to trade veteran tight end Tony Gonzalez (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/3950) has re-started, and it sounds as if the Eagles might have nosed ahead of the Falcons as the most likely trade partner. Philly is thought to be willing to give up a third-rounder for Gonzalez. But Kansas City is seeking at least a second-round pick for a player it considers a future Hall of Famer, and may not be willing to bear the brunt of any criticism that could come if it's perceived to have given away Gonzalez too cheaply.

• As much as the Chiefs feel Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry might be the cleanest prospect in this draft, as many have labeled him, he's still a linebacker. And in his schooling in the Patriots Way under Bill Belichick, Pioli learned that one of the rules was that you don't usually spend first-round picks, especially top-five picks, on linebackers.
True, Pioli and Belichick went against their history in taking Jerod Mayo (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/8787) No. 10 out of Tennessee last season in New England. But that's the exception, not the rule, and it was driven by the Patriots' obvious need at the position. And for that reason, I'm hearing Pioli may not opt to spend No. 3-level money on Curry no matter how impressive the ex-Demon Deacon is.

dbolan
04-22-2009, 01:11 PM
GOnzo will be gone and as long as we get the best position person when it comes our turn (whether we trade down or not), that is all that matters.

Pro_Angler
04-22-2009, 03:26 PM
i think id hate to lose TG but we are ok at TE without him. We need a #2 ROUND PICK THOUGH OR NO DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pbatrucker
04-22-2009, 06:59 PM
i think id hate to lose TG but we are ok at TE without him. We need a #2 ROUND PICK THOUGH OR NO DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:bananen_smilies046: agreed!!!!:11:

Chief Tyler
04-22-2009, 07:34 PM
I haven't heard this discussed at all, but suppose we were able to trade out from #3, where do you guys think Curry would fall? I honestly can't see anybody except for Jacksonville nabbing him in the top 10, and even then it might be a stretch. I'd think he's more a value pick for teams in the low teens, so does anybody think we would have a shot still if we traded down?

Pro_Angler
04-22-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't think we want curry though. I believe we want to trade down or get orakpo or jackson.. I want crabtree

Chief Tyler
04-22-2009, 08:27 PM
I don't think we want curry though. I believe we want to trade down or get orakpo or jackson.. I want crabtree

I'm not arguing that so much. It's just that a lot of people want to stay at number 3 to nab Curry, I was wondering how feasible it might be to get him lower and have extra picks. Eat yoru cake and have it too you know? I just don't see anybody taking him except for value.

Seattle has more pressing needs, Cincy and Cleveland are pretty young at LB and have needs as well, no to the Raiders, Jacksonville maybe (value), Green Bay is a no. Really the first absolute primary need place I could see him going to is Denver at 12.