PDA

View Full Version : Pioli has a plan

bigpoppachief
04-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Things just got a whole lot more interesting because of the trade of Tony Gonzalez. I mean a 2nd rounder next year ? At first I thought it was a dumb move not getting somethign this year but it kinda makes me believe Pioli may have a taker of our 3rd pick this year which may get us a swap of first and a 3rd adn maybe a first next year could you imagine next year having two first and two seconds ? That would be awesome ! I mean its just a thought but what doy ou guys think ? Would that nto be sweet next year having that many early picks ?

jmlamerson
04-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Things just got a whole lot more interesting because of the trade of Tony Gonzalez. I mean a 2nd rounder next year ? At first I thought it was a dumb move not getting somethign this year but it kinda makes me believe Pioli may have a taker of our 3rd pick this year which may get us a swap of first and a 3rd adn maybe a first next year could you imagine next year having two first and two seconds ? That would be awesome ! I mean its just a thought but what doy ou guys think ? Would that nto be sweet next year having that many early picks ?

That's possible. I think it's a lot more likely that neither side would budge on it being a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2009, so they agreed to a 2nd rounder in 2010.

pbatrucker
04-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm sure Paoli has a plan!!! I believe most of us hope he can pull a miricle and trade down. If nothing else jammerson is correct in that it was better to get a 2nd next year than a 3rd this year. Let's hope for those nuggets in the rocks.
:bananen_smilies046: :bananen_smilies046: :11:

honda522
04-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I just wish his plan didn't including trading Tony. I my mind, Tony still is and always will be a true Chief. He is the defenition of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Come on ATL!

yashi
04-23-2009, 04:38 PM
I just wish his plan didn't including trading Tony. I my mind, Tony still is and always will be a true Chief. He is the defenition of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Come on ATL!

For me that person is Will Shields. 14 years, 12 as a pro bowler, 9 time all-pro, great person, never once whined or complained, showed up each and every season and was the best at his position.

Tony was similar up until he started hinting and eventually flat out saying that he wanted out of KC. Shields was a Chief through thick and thin until the end. Not to take anything away from Tony G. He gave us 12 great seasons as a Chief and will probably always be the best TE in the history of the game for me and certainly the best Chiefs TE.

honda522
04-23-2009, 04:44 PM
For me that person is Will Shields. 14 years, 12 as a pro bowler, 9 time all-pro, great person, never once whined or complained, showed up each and every season and was the best at his position.

Tony was similar up until he started hinting and eventually flat out saying that he wanted out of KC. Shields was a Chief through thick and thin until the end. Not to take anything away from Tony G. He gave us 12 great seasons as a Chief and will probably always be the best TE in the history of the game for me and certainly the best Chiefs TE.
Tony wanted out simply cause the team wasn't even competitive. And who wouldn't? I think he worked his *** off while everyone else was taking a break for the last 3 years. He got dealt a bad hand when Herm was hired.

Thanks for the memories tony.

northwest
04-23-2009, 04:49 PM
The tg trade definitely makes me think pioli is out to make the chiefs a great franchise to follow again. (Not that they're not now, but you know what I mean)

slc chief
04-23-2009, 04:51 PM
i sure hope he has a plan because losing tony is going to take alot to replace his production

DT14PRIEST
04-23-2009, 04:56 PM
At least we traded him out of the AFC. That being said we got a decent return for him considering he potentially has 3 years left in him max, 2 realistically. 2nd round next year could well be a market increase over a 2nd this year considering the wealth of talent that is coming out on offense in next years draft.

That aside...

Everyone was freaking out last year when all the baddies from last season were letting pro bowl vets go in trades and releases as such (aka Miami let Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor, the only 2 guys on the roster anybody outside of Miami actually knew about) and they improved dramatically.

Its to early to see how this will pan out, we'll have to wait till the end of the season to see how it all comes down and how far or close the Chiefs are to being legitmate once again. Tony would of helped Cassel out, sure, and made this offense that much better but I doubt he would've been the crutch he was when Thigpen was quarterback.

Think long term and objectively about this. It may not feel good right now but it'll pay off in the future.

Tony doesn't go to the HoF because of 2 years as a Falcon, he goes to the hall because of 12 years as a Chief.

DT14PRIEST
04-23-2009, 04:57 PM
i sure hope he has a plan because losing tony is going to take alot to replace his production

I remember when 49er fans were saying the same thing when they traded Joe Montana. Now of course they had Steve Young in the wings but nobody was willing to jump on that boat yet.

We all see how that worked out for them.

pbatrucker
04-23-2009, 04:58 PM
The more I think about this trade, well it just makes me think bigpoppa is right, there has to be something else in the works. Could it mean a trade with the Broncos? Maybe one of their firsts, a second or third and their tight end, who wants out of Denver since his buddy Cutler is gone. Don't know what is going on, but something is in the works.
:bananen_smilies046: :11:

jmlamerson
04-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Tony wanted out simply cause the team wasn't even competitive. And who wouldn't? I think he worked his *** off while everyone else was taking a break for the last 3 years. He got dealt a bad hand when Herm was hired.

Yeah, it's sad, but we're going to be building this team for two-three years fixing Herm's mess. Tony wants a SB now.

I stand by my bet in some thread that a couple fools took me up on: Atlanta is in the NFC championship this year.

ctchiefsfan
04-23-2009, 05:33 PM
I guess I got to go with Pioli on this one. Not because I want to, I don't, the whole thing makes me want to PUKE! But well, I got no choice. I just hope that 2-3 years from now we're all saying that getting pioli and haley was a stroke of genious not a screw up like we've realized getting herm was.

dbolan
04-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Also...Pioli could use the 2010 2nd rd pick as trade bait. He knows we still have holes to fill and we could use some talent with more than 1-2 years left in the tank.

Bike
04-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I was still hoping for more immediate help for trading Tony.
At least a 2nd round this year.

chief31
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah, it's sad, but we're going to be building this team for two-three years fixing Herm's mess. Tony wants a SB now.

I stand by my bet in some thread that a couple fools took me up on: Atlanta is in the NFC championship this year.

I don't put Atlanta in the playoffs in '09. Close run at the wild-card. But not in.

As for the Gonzales trade, it certainly doesn't feel good to watch him go away. But I think that it is in The Chiefs' best interests.

Yes, we have to wait a year to use the pick. But I hope we keep all of next years picks until next year, when they have more value to the rest of the league.

Right now, it holds the same value as a late third round pick for this draft. But that value will be alot higher in a year.

I dislike trading away future picks for that exact reason. You don't get the same value for it, as you would by holding them.

dbolan
04-24-2009, 11:34 AM
I don't put Atlanta in the playoffs in '09. Close run at the wild-card. But not in.

As for the Gonzales trade, it certainly doesn't feel good to watch him go away. But I think that it is in The Chiefs' best interests.

Yes, we have to wait a year to use the pick. But I hope we keep all of next years picks until next year, when they have more value to the rest of the league.

Right now, it holds the same value as a late third round pick for this draft. But that value will be alot higher in a year.

I dislike trading away future picks for that exact reason. You don't get the same value for it, as you would by holding them.

Actually, we do not have to "wait" to use the pic. It can be used in a trade this year which is what I anticipate them to do.

chief31
04-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Actually, we do not have to "wait" to use the pic. It can be used in a trade this year which is what I anticipate them to do.

If we want to lose the value of the pick.

It's like an investment. Just hold on to it, and the value rises.

Only the value of this pick is guaranteed to rise in one year.

northwest
04-24-2009, 11:55 AM
I personally hope they use it this year, even if the value lessens a bit.

honda522
04-24-2009, 11:57 AM
I was watching the NFL network and I think there is more to the deal than what has been said. Has Clark/Pioli/Haley held a press confrence yet? NO

I think the Chiefs also picked up a 4th rounder 4 this year from the trade as well as a "UNDISCLOSED" draft pick, atleast thats what I read on the network.

pbatrucker
04-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I was watching the NFL network and I think there is more to the deal than what has been said. Has Clark/Pioli/Haley held a press confrence yet? NO

I think the Chiefs also picked up a 4th rounder 4 this year from the trade as well as a "UNDISCLOSED" draft pick, atleast thats what I read on the network.
:bananen_smilies046: Pioli and Haley held a press confrence yesterday. IMO the rest of the deal is Their first this year for Dorsey.
:11:

honda522
04-24-2009, 12:15 PM
:bananen_smilies046: Pioli and Haley held a press confrence yesterday. IMO the rest of the deal is Their first this year for Dorsey.
:11:
They didn't reval everything. That was a phone confrence, not a real press confrence.

Trust me, there is more to come.

yashi
04-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I was thinking this last night... remember the Cassel/Vrabel trade? It was first announced that we acquired Vrabel the day before, and we only found that Cassel was a part of the deal the next day.

northwest
04-24-2009, 12:19 PM
I was thinking this last night... remember the Cassel/Vrabel trade? It was first announced that we acquired Vrabel the day before, and we only found that Cassel was a part of the deal the next day.

exactly. that's what i keep thinking. i am checking for news updates literally every minute today. :yahoo:

honda522
04-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Yes, this is what I am talking about.

Pro_Angler
04-24-2009, 01:17 PM
I think that the 2nd rd pick next year will be concievable in the middle of the round given atl's projected finish this year.

honda522
04-24-2009, 01:29 PM
exactly. that's what i keep thinking. i am checking for news updates literally every minute today. :yahoo:
Probably wont come out untill the draft.

chiefsfreak4life
04-24-2009, 01:33 PM

Yup, you are not the only one. I can't get away from the TV and PC looking for "breaking news":drunkhb:

KCraised
04-24-2009, 09:19 PM

I think you are forgetting WHY Tony G. worked his a** off....he was paid multi millions by the Hunts to do so.
He just produced what was expected and most of the others didnt. I could care less if he won/wins a playoff game. He was very well taken care of here in KC and let his personal accomplishments get in the way of continuing playing as a team member. I would say Pioli has a deal agreed upon, involving that 2nd rounder and its looooong gone in a package deal tomorrow:)

Coach
04-24-2009, 09:37 PM
I think that the 2nd rd pick next year will be concievable in the middle of the round given atl's projected finish this year.

Exactly. Atlanta is will not sneak up on anyone this year. And they play TB, Car, NO twice a year. .500 team at best IMO. They need Dorsey in a big way.