PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 of the Draft

jap1
04-25-2009, 10:05 PM
What does everyone think we should do with our next pick?

I think Pioli and Haley continue with the philosophies of "defense wins championships" and building from the inside out and we will go NT (Chris Baker, Hampton or Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman), or a LB.

Although I can also see us going with an OT (Jamon Meredith, South Carolina).

I truly believe that Pioli and Haley are building a team to make a run in 2010 and/or 2011.

DT14PRIEST
04-25-2009, 10:13 PM
More or less:

- More DL (Samie Lee Hill, Jarron Gilbert types etc...)
- A 'Tweener' (Lawrence Sidbury types etc...)
- 1-2 Interior OL (Center/Guard types)
- A RT prospect (Dallas Reyonlds tpes etc...)
- ILB

Something like that

bigpoppachief
04-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I really don't know but I am thinking we will go after some offensive players because I think that with taking Jackson Pioli is thinking that Tank can make a decent enough NT for the 3-4. With that being said I could see us taking the big NT that is left. I dont know but after the intial shock has worn off I am putting faith that Pioli knows what he is doing. Jackson and Dorseys season was better when they played together so hopefully the reunite will make thigns better

bigpoppachief
04-25-2009, 10:38 PM
I am just trying to put together some players that may be able to come in and help These are justa few players that I actually know and have watched play

Offensive

OT : Alex Boone Ohio State, he was once believed to be a beast OT so why not take a chacne and see if he cna play rt?

OG Cedric Dockery Texas good G

C: Jonathan Luguis Arkansas

OT Ltdon Murtha Nebraska

Has duek robinson been taken ?

WR
Derrick Williams PENN could be a good late pick at wr

Pat turner USC

Quan Cosby Texas

One I really like because of size is Carr from FSU the kid is 6'6 !

TE

There are alot of Te's left

Beckum form wisconsin

coffman from Mizzou

Ingram from florida

Shawn Nelson form Southern Miss

RB

Shone Green Iowa

Glen Coffee Bama

Ian Johnson Boise

Javon ringer Michigan state

Defense

DL

ANother from LSU Jean-Francois, Ricky

DT roy miller Texas

DE Micheal Johnson THIS GUY would be a steal !!!! I really hope we will grab him ! This guy coulda been in the 1st round

LB

Jasper brinkley

Marcus freeman

Brian Toal

Really dont think we need CB or S but these are just some gusy left that I have watched them play a bit and think they could be good players int he NFL looking forward tomorrow !

Diesel
04-25-2009, 10:58 PM
We pick 3rd tomorrow in the 3rd round, the list of canidates should be these guys:

DE/LB Michael Johnson
DE Jarron Gilbert
DE/LB Lawrence Sidbury

To me it's a no brainer one of those three guys should be the pick without a doubt!

Diesel
04-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Yeah I still do want NT Sammie Lee Hill and like Baker as well but with our top pick tomorrow in the 3rd round imo it has to be one of these guys!!

DE/LB Michael Johnson
DE Jarron Gilbert
DE/LB Lawrence Sidbury

yashi
04-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Pretty uneventful day 1 for us. Pioli was a lot quieter than many of us thought he'd be.

With that said, I think there are some really intriguing prospects available. And being that we have the 3rd pick tomorrow, it will be interesting to see what Pioli does.

Here's what I'm kind of hoping for tomorrow. I'll leave out the later rounds.

3.) Michael Johnson (DE/OLB) - I thought if there was one player that would be drafted much sooner than he should be it would be Johnson, but somehow he's still available.. and probably one of the best values left. He would be a great fit as a pass rusher for us. Who knows if he can cover people, but I'm more confident in him in pass coverage than most tweeners because of his athleticism.

Honorable mention:
Lawrence Sidbury (DE/OLB)
Jarron Gilbert (DE) - Good value, but we probably don't need him now that we have Jackson.
Jamon Meredith (OT) - Solid value at OT here too.

4.) Chris Baker (NT) - The best nose tackle left. I wouldn't be completely opposed to taking him in the 3rd or trading up to get him either.

Honorable mention:
Jonathan Luigs (C) - Would be a higher ranked center in most draft pools.

Coach
04-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Has duke robinson been taken ?

No, he's still on the board. I was kind of surprised by that. I wonder if we would look at him. Also, Shonn Greene is interesting.

jap1
04-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Hypothetical Situation:

We trade Brian Waters to someone in the early 3rd round.

We pick up Duke Robinson and a LB with our 2 3rd round picks.

I dont know how likely that scenario is, or even if there is anyone interested in Waters at the beginning of the 3rd. But what do you guys think?

Vanilla Garilla
04-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Hypothetical Situation:

We trade Brian Waters to someone in the early 3rd round.

We pick up Duke Robinson and a LB with our 2 3rd round picks.

I dont know how likely that scenario is, or even if there is anyone interested in Waters at the beginning of the 3rd. But what do you guys think?

Only 1 3rd rounder for Waters? NO THANKS!

AussieChiefsFan
04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
IMO we really should've chosen Curry. He was there for the taking and he is also voted to have the most successful career. I don't understand why we didn't pick him!! And now the Seahawks have got him and I bet they were just as surprised as I were when he was still available after the #3 overall pick; OURS!!!

Chiefster
04-26-2009, 12:14 AM
I'd like to see us sure up the "O" line.

yashi
04-26-2009, 12:17 AM
IMO we really should've chosen Curry. He was there for the taking and he is also voted to have the most successful career. I don't understand why we didn't pick him!! And now the Seahawks have got him and I bet they were just as surprised as I were when he was still available after the #3 overall pick; OURS!!!

Sure, but why bother dwelling on it now? While I like Curry a lot, I'm satisfied with Jackson. He's going to do wonders to improve our rush defense, and will take him opposing OTs to free up our pass rushers.

In a way, I feel like Curry will be a better player, but that Jackson improves our defense more. It's kind of disappointing to not get the sexy 255 lb LB who runs a 4.55 and tackles everything in site, but Jackson is our guy.. we should worry about him now.

Pioli's not an idiot, he knows what he's doing. Let's not forget he has a history of making unpopular draft choices that turned out to be great moves... Mayo, Warren, Wilfork. He's not here to get us the players we want, but to build a team that wins football games.

Diesel
04-26-2009, 12:20 AM
We need to help our OL on day two and continue to build our defense! We were dead last at getting to the QB, we should try to address that in round 3 with either Michael Johnson or Lawrence Sidbury.

greg3564
04-26-2009, 12:34 AM
I think the Chiefs should go after Quan Cosby at WR. He's the sleeper pick this year. Not real happy with our first round pick. My gut feeling says he's another Hali(average but not great). I would have preferred Curry, Raji or Orakpo.

yashi
04-26-2009, 12:40 AM
I think the Chiefs should go after Quan Cosby at WR. He's the sleeper pick this year. Not real happy with our first round pick. My gut feeling says he's another Hali(average but not great). I would have preferred Curry, Raji or Orakpo.

Problem with Cosby is that he's going to be a 27 year old rookie though...

Hali is not dominant against the run and Jackson is. Also Hali can't play 3-4 end.

northwest
04-26-2009, 01:04 AM
im pretty excited we get 3rd pick in the 3rd round since there is still talent available. it's like today all over again. i like the TE from mizzou but we probably won't address the TE need since we picked up another this last week.

greg3564
04-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Problem with Cosby is that he's going to be a 27 year old rookie though...

Hali is not dominant against the run and Jackson is. Also Hali can't play 3-4 end.

You're missing the point. Hali was touted as the next great thing too. Look how he turned out. Dorsey was touted as the next great thing after Hali. So far he hasn't materialized yet. The buzz on Jackson is mixed amongst various sports writers and some seem to think Jackson should have been a late 1st or early 2nd rounder. I just don't know if he's worth a 3rd overall pick, but only time will tell.

yashi
04-26-2009, 09:30 AM
You're missing the point. Hali was touted as the next great thing too. Look how he turned out. Dorsey was touted as the next great thing after Hali. So far he hasn't materialized yet. The buzz on Jackson is mixed amongst various sports writers and some seem to think Jackson should have been a late 1st or early 2nd rounder. I just don't know if he's worth a 3rd overall pick, but only time will tell.

Hali was ever the next great thing? Because I specifically remember a lot of analysts and fans being confused by the pick. Most seemed to assume that he was drafted mostly on character. Mel Kiper said something like, "Herm Edwards is going to love this guy's character, a good kid coming from a tough life in Liberia, etc". They didn't even mention his playing ability.

I don't really get the comparison, since while both DEs, one is a 3-4 DE and the other a 4-3 DE. If they have anything in common I would say it's that both could be considered reaches.

I don't know anyone who thinks Jackson should have been a 2nd rounder. The Browns, Packers, Broncos, and Pats all coveted him (3 of which picked in the top 12).. and there was no chance of him slipping past Denver.

He was the best 3-4 DE in the draft, and we desperately needed good 3-4 defensive linemen. There's not much to it.

I was probably the biggest Aaron Curry fan here, but I'm confident that Jackson is going to be the unsexy pick that begins the turnaround for this defense.

Diesel
04-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Yeah TJ was a consensus 1st round pick. NOONE had him falling to round 2. Add the fact that he is a legit 3-4 end and his value goes to the top 10 of the 1st round. Add to that his value of being able to kick inside as a pass rusher on 3rd down in your nickel and dime packages and he starts looking even better.