PDA

View Full Version : Leroy Hill... Right Now!!

texaschief
04-26-2009, 03:44 AM
LET'S GO GET THIS GUY, YESTERDAY!!!!

The Seahawks removed the franchise tag and he's officially a free agent. Let's get another long-term piece for our LB corp.

DT14PRIEST
04-26-2009, 04:17 AM
Hawks remove Hill’s franchise tag | The News Tribune - Sports | Seattle-Tacoma News, Weather, Sports, Jobs, Homes and Cars | South Puget Sound's Destination (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/721669.html)

I'd like to have him, he's been a productive player for the Seahawks, but I don't know about the drug possession and the arrest.

Sounds like a red flag for Pioli, but you never know.

yashi
04-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Very good young player, I don't know why they cut him. Probably would have to play inside in a 3-4 since he doesn't seem to be much of a pass rusher.

pbatrucker
04-26-2009, 11:41 AM
This pick up would give us a guy in the LB crew with DJ that won't be gone after this season or next.
2010 2nd rd pick?
:yahoo: :11:

Chiefster
04-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Hawks remove Hill’s franchise tag | The News Tribune - Sports | Seattle-Tacoma News, Weather, Sports, Jobs, Homes and Cars | South Puget Sound's Destination (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/721669.html)

I'd like to have him, he's been a productive player for the Seahawks, but I don't know about the drug possession and the arrest.

Sounds like a red flag for Pioli, but you never know.

Agreed.

theaxeeffect4311
04-26-2009, 02:20 PM
LET'S GO GET THIS GUY, YESTERDAY!!!!

The Seahawks removed the franchise tag and he's officially a free agent. Let's get another long-term piece for our LB corp.

What would he do? ILB? While it's an option, I don't know if it's the best option.

DT14PRIEST
04-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Very good young player, I don't know why they cut him. Probably would have to play inside in a 3-4 since he doesn't seem to be much of a pass rusher.

He wasn't cut they just lifted the franchise tag because he didn't sign his tender and they drafted Curry who is in for a lucrative contract being taking at 4.

chiefsfreak4life
04-26-2009, 02:59 PM
He wasn't cut they just lifted the franchise tag because he didn't sign his tender and they drafted Curry who is in for a lucrative contract being taking at 4.

We have the money, go sign this guy now!!!

DynastyTalk
04-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Agreed, this would be a great signing. And seriously who gives a crap about a measly Pot possession. Unless it turns into something more I could care less. Its pot people. This is 2009. Most of America is smoking, and in most other countries its completely legal.

partysan
04-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Agreed, this would be a great signing. And seriously who gives a crap about a measly Pot possession. Unless it turns into something more I could care less. Its pot people. This is 2009. Most of America is smoking, and in most other countries its completely legal.

That's exactly what Chris Henry said on his first offense.

jap1
04-26-2009, 08:05 PM

First, I doubt that greater than 50% of people smoke pot.

Second, it shows he has a disregard for the rules. Pot is illegal, its a rule. Stupid or not, you have to deal with it. When you play football you have a lot of stupid rules. If you dont follow the rules and blow your assignment, the other team scores a TD.

That having been said, I wish I knew the details, like was it a couple joints, or a brick? That makes a big difference to me.

partysan
04-27-2009, 03:08 AM
Oh, and one more thing, marijuana is not legal in any country in the world. And before somebody mentions the Netherlands or Pakistan, there IS a difference between legalization and decriminalization. That being said, if the league says you can't smoke marijuana, then that's what you don't do. Period. It is legal to purchase steroids in India, but would that justify their use in a pro sports league?

Sn@keIze
04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Oh, and one more thing, marijuana is not legal in any country in the world. And before somebody mentions the Netherlands or Pakistan, there IS a difference between legalization and decriminalization. That being said, if the league says you can't smoke marijuana, then that's what you don't do. Period. It is legal to purchase steroids in India, but would that justify their use in a pro sports league?The way I understood it, by law you can smoke weed in Amsterdam.

As a matter of fact it is legal here too....for medicinal use.

I feel a sudden case of glaucoma coming on.:D

jmlamerson
04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
The way I understood it, by law you can smoke weed in Amsterdam.

As a matter of fact it is legal here too....for medicinal use.

I feel a sudden case of glaucoma coming on.:D

Partysan is being pedantic. By decriminalized, he means that you can possess, smoke, and even sell marijuana in approved areas without being arrested. But you can't buy a farm in the Netherlands and grow big fields of pot. That's the difference between legal and decriminalized.

partysan
04-27-2009, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't go as far as calling it big fields. You can have five grams of cannabis for personal consumption and not be prosecuted. And you're allowed to grow only five plants of cannabis as well, but you do have to hand them over if you're busted, even if you have only one. But I'm sorry for getting off topic, all I tried to do is say that the Chiefs do not need players that bad as to become another Bengals.

pbatrucker
04-27-2009, 01:17 PM
:bananen_smilies046: Thought this was about LeRoy Hill? The bottom line is, a lot of people make mistakes. The big question is, will he make another.
The Seahawks removed the frachise tag, that does not mean that they are not going to try to resign him. They just gave his agent permission to talk to other teams.
Could the Chiefs use him? You bet, if he's clean. He is a very good LB and with the addtion of the players we have at that position, there will probally be injuries. We are going to need addtional PLAYERS at that position.
:11:

yashi
04-27-2009, 02:05 PM
I think we should sign him.. 84 tackles in 12 games last year translates to 112 over a full season. Not sure how he'd translate to a 3-4 but he'd probably be pretty good inside next to Zach. He's also only 26.

I doubt we do though.

pbatrucker
04-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I think we should sign him.. 84 tackles in 12 games last year translates to 112 over a full season. Not sure how he'd translate to a 3-4 but he'd probably be pretty good inside next to Zach. He's also only 26.

I doubt we do though.

He would probally be an ILB in 3-4. That's ok, looks like DJ could be moved outside to rush the passer, IMO
:bananen_smilies046:

jmlamerson
04-27-2009, 05:20 PM
He would probally be an ILB in 3-4. That's ok, looks like DJ could be moved outside to rush the passer, IMO
:bananen_smilies046:

Is DJ projected inside right now? He strikes me as a perfect OLB for a 3-4. I would have thought Beisel/Williams would have been our other ILB.

texaschief
04-27-2009, 05:51 PM
What's wrong with signing this guy as an ILB? Put him next to Thomas on the inside and put Vrabel and DJ outside. What's the problem?

jmlamerson
04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
What's wrong with signing this guy as an ILB? Put him next to Thomas on the inside and put Vrabel and DJ outside. What's the problem?

If you're responding to my preceding post, I have no problem. I'm just surprised anyone was projecting DJ as an ILB as opposed to an OLB.

Bike
04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
No problem I can see. Except, of course, he ain't here.

yashi
04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
If you're responding to my preceding post, I have no problem. I'm just surprised anyone was projecting DJ as an ILB as opposed to an OLB.
I've been projecting DJ at ILB for a while, but that was before we signed Thomas, who is obviously ILB all the way.

I hope he can do it, but he's about 10 lbs lighter than a "light" 3-4 OLB (3-4). Not many of them in the league under 245 lbs, heck not many of them under 255.

northwest
04-27-2009, 07:33 PM
i would be terribly surprised if this happened. i would love to have him on the chiefs. i would really love it.

pbatrucker
04-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Is DJ projected inside right now? He strikes me as a perfect OLB for a 3-4. I would have thought Beisel/Williams would have been our other ILB.
Just going off someone else's projection. Haven''t seen anything official from the Chiefs. I don't see Hali or McBride making too good a transition to LB and Dj skills would best fit the rush LB we need. IMO Beisel is going to be a backup and Williams is stil a ?

jap1
04-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Pros: Hill would be a great pickup. He is a hard hitting, fast and effective blitzer, a good tackler, and hes only 26.

Negatives: Marijuana arrest (he publicly apologized and I couldnt find any articles on the details of his arrest like amount, etc). He has a history of a few minor injuries. He turned down a 6 yr $36 mil contract from Seattle (either too long of a contract for him or not enough money).

Possible Lineup Next Year:

DJ / Vrabel / Thomas / Hill

Backups: Hali?, Williams, Beisel, Mays, Babin?

The nice thing is that they all can be moved around to different spots pretty effectively.

I doubt this will happen because I dont think Pioli and Haley want to take a chance on a guy who smokes pot right before FA starts, plus he either wants more than 6 mil a year, or a short term contract.

N TX Dave
04-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Source (http://www.examiner.com/x-1331-Seattle-Seahawks-Examiner~y2009m1d25-Leroy-Hill-arrested-on-pot-charges)

Seahawks linebacker Leroy Hill has been arrested in Atlanta on charges of marijuana possession. (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/397393_hawk25.html)http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/leroy.jpg
Hill was found asleep at the wheel of his car at a major intersection at around 4 a.m Saturday morning. A search of his car found less than an ounce of marijuana. He was booked and released on bond.
Hill, of course, is the number one priority for the Seahawks this off-season, as they attempt to sign him and maintain their three-headed monster at linebacker. He is set to become a free agent next month.
If he indulges in his little hobby before contract negotiations, maybe we can sign him for a box of Cheez-its and some Jack 'N The Box.

That last statement is not mine.

jap1
04-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Thanks Dave. That puts it into perspective. Its not even like he was actively smoking or carrying a crap ton.

With that information in mind, I am more inclined to take a chance on him ... IF he will accept something like a 2-3 year deal for around 5-6 mil with behavior clauses. Based on what Seattle offered him supposedly, Im not sure if he will take that.

AussieChiefsFan
04-28-2009, 02:22 AM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/04/68.jpg
Is it just me or is his head quite oddly shaped?

tornadospotter
04-28-2009, 02:55 AM
It fits a football helmet.:11:

AussieChiefsFan
04-28-2009, 02:58 AM
It fits a football helmet.:11:
OH yeah!

pbatrucker
04-28-2009, 04:00 AM

:bananen_smilies046: A result of many years of pounding his head into RB and WR's.

chief31
04-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Thanks Dave. That puts it into perspective. Its not even like he was actively smoking or carrying a crap ton.

With that information in mind, I am more inclined to take a chance on him ... IF he will accept something like a 2-3 year deal for around 5-6 mil with behavior clauses. Based on what Seattle offered him supposedly, Im not sure if he will take that.

I know that the statement had him with "Less than an ounce" of marijuana, but an ounce is a pretty big bag.

If you were to take your basic ziplock sandwich bag, then you would fill it more than half way to acquire an ounce.

An ounce is a couple of week's worth to a daily pot smoker.

Now, if it were less than a dime bag, (around 1/8 of an ounce) then he still would have had a decent party bag, and the report would likely have read that he had less than a quarter ounce.

Also, "Hill was found asleep at the wheel of his car at a major intersection at around 4 a.m Saturday morning."

Odds are that he was drunk as could be. There could be no DUI charge if he was not in the driver's seat with the key in the ignition. So there would be no DUI to mention. But he almost certainly was driving in a horrible state.

I'm not saying that I think we should avoid him. Nor that I have any problem with him at all.

Just that having "less than an ounce" just means that he probably wasn't dealing it. And that being asleep at the wheel of a major intersection at 4:00 AM sounds like he narrowly missed getting into alot more trouble than he wound-up with.

Canada
04-28-2009, 08:21 AM
I know that the statement had him with "Less than an ounce" of marijuana, but an ounce is a pretty big bag.

If you were to take your basic ziplock sandwich bag, then you would fill it more than half way to acquire an ounce.

An ounce is a couple of week's worth to a daily pot smoker.

No it is not!! It's about one weeks worth!!

Now, if it were less than a dime bag, (around 1/8 of an ounce) then he still would have had a decent party bag, and the report would likely have read that he had less than a quarter ounce.

Also, "Hill was found asleep at the wheel of his car at a major intersection at around 4 a.m Saturday morning."

Odds are that he was drunk as could be. There could be no DUI charge if he was not in the driver's seat with the key in the ignition. So there would be no DUI to mention. But he almost certainly was driving in a horrible state.

This is quite a presumtuous statement. I once fell alseep at an intersection at about 5am with some weed in my car. I had just finished working an 18 hour shift and happen to doze off while waiting at a red light. Does not mean I was in a horrible state at all.

Also, if u are in your vehicle and have the keys in your posession then you can be charged with a DUI as you have care and control of a motor vehicle.

I'm not saying that I think we should avoid him. Nor that I have any problem with him at all.

Just that having "less than an ounce" just means that he probably wasn't dealing it. And that being asleep at the wheel of a major intersection at 4:00 AM sounds like he narrowly missed getting into alot more trouble than he wound-up with.

He seems like an alright guy to me!! :bananen_smilies046:

theaxeeffect4311
04-28-2009, 08:45 PM
How about signing Larry Foote once he becomes a free agent? He sounds like a team player and knows about winning coming from the Steelers. Plus, he's been a starter at ILB for the past 4-5 years, played in a 3-4, and is only 28 years old.

texaschief
04-28-2009, 09:21 PM
how bout both? just because we have Zach Thomas doesn't mean we shouldn't plan for the future and grab two LB's. Hill is 27 and Foote is 28. Put them with Vrabel and DJ and we'd only have to replace Vrabel in the next couple years or so.

theaxeeffect4311
04-28-2009, 09:25 PM
how bout both? just because we have Zach Thomas doesn't mean we shouldn't plan for the future and grab two LB's. Hill is 27 and Foote is 28. Put them with Vrabel and DJ and we'd only have to replace Vrabel in the next couple years or so.

But do you believe that DJ can play OLB in a 3-4? I know he has the speed and maybe the pass rush ability, but does he have the strength? Not really doubting it, but I'm more wanting to know if you have heard anything.

texaschief
04-28-2009, 10:13 PM
But do you believe that DJ can play OLB in a 3-4? I know he has the speed and maybe the pass rush ability, but does he have the strength? Not really doubting it, but I'm more wanting to know if you have heard anything.

IMO, his athletic ability would be a waste inside. Plus, the Chiefs don't have another LB with his type of pass rushing speed. He could be a beast like he was at Texas if he's used properly. I think with the additions of solid LBs around him, he's going to have a break out year. He's a play-maker and when offenses are having to account for other players than just him, he may be able to get free more and wreak havoc.

Coach
04-28-2009, 10:22 PM
IMO, his athletic ability would be a waste inside. Plus, the Chiefs don't have another LB with his type of pass rushing speed. He could be a beast like he was at Texas if he's used properly. I think with the additions of solid LBs around him, he's going to have a break out year. He's a play-maker and when offenses are having to account for other players than just him, he may be able to get free more and wreak havoc.
I fully expect a great year from DJ this year as well. This is a LB friendly defense. I think he has the versatility to play ILB or OLB. With the age of our other LB's, it's very likely he's going to have to play both positions at different points of the season. He's one of the few LB's we have that can pull it off.

texaschief
04-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I fully expect a great year from DJ this year as well. This is a LB friendly defense. I think he has the versatility to play ILB or OLB. With the age of our other LB's, it's very likely he's going to have to play both positions at different points of the season. He's one of the few LB's we have that can pull it off.

Exactly why we should grab them BOTH.

chief31
04-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Odds are that he was drunk as could be. There could be no DUI charge if he was not in the driver's seat with the key in the ignition. So there would be no DUI to mention. But he almost certainly was driving in a horrible state.This is quite a presumtuous statement. I once fell alseep at an intersection at about 5am with some weed in my car. I had just finished working an 18 hour shift and happen to doze off while waiting at a red light. Does not mean I was in a horrible state at all.

Also, if u are in your vehicle and have the keys in your posession then you can be charged with a DUI as you have care and control of a motor vehicle.

Definitely presumption. But I sincerely doubt that he had just finished with practice, as The NFL is his job.

And the circumstances for a DUI charge are likely pretty different in different states. But hat is how it is here.

I wouldn't dare to believe that he was just tired at 4:00 AM.

Presumption? Indeed.

But it is even more presumptuous to search for alibies.

I agree.

Oh yeah. I believe he would be an ideal OLB in a 3-4. The strength goes on the inside. The OLB needs to rush the passer and drop into coverage.

He has the strength to play OLB in a 4-3, so that's plenty for the 3-4.

theaxeeffect4311
04-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Exactly why we should grab them BOTH.

Haha, alright Tex. I'm good with taking both. Might as well when it's such a weakness for this team. I mean no one can expect Thomas to be an every down LB. Vrabel maybe, so both of those guys would be a huge help. But I understand the idea that DJ has the skill and athleticism to pull off OLB in a 3-4. I do not think that he necessarily has to add weight (James Harrison is only 6', 242 lbs/DJ 6'3", 242 lbs) but he may need to become stronger. I like the idea because this could be the breakout year for DJ because of the 3-4.

jmlamerson
04-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Definitely presumption. But I sincerely doubt that he had just finished with practice, as The NFL is his job.

And the circumstances for a DUI charge are likely pretty different in different states. But hat is how it is here.

DUIs shouldn't be the end all/be all of signing a player. I think most of us would kill to have JA back, DUIs or no.

chief31
04-28-2009, 11:13 PM
DUIs shouldn't be the end all/be all of signing a player. I think most of us would kill to have JA back, DUIs or no.

Agreed.

But one would want to be aware of the facts if he took the risk of costing his team by getting suspended.

I'll still take him here.

pbatrucker
04-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Most of us agree, we still need good LB help. I also expect Dj to have a awesome year. If he was taking his career serious, he's been in the weight room all summer.
:bananen_smilies046: :11:

jap1
04-29-2009, 01:42 AM

I would be willing to take that chance on him. But if we do, I hope Pioli could arrange some sort of back-loaded contract with behavior clauses. Something that allows us to cut him without cap hits if he is found to be a dumb a$$ again and back-loaded so that he doesnt cost us too much right now.

Honestly, with a LB corps of DJ, Thomas, Vrabel, and Foote OR Hill, the new coaching, and the new look DL, I think our D just went from 30th last year to being in the top half in 2009, and top 10 in 2010.

Im excited, I hope Pioli is on the phone with the agents for both Hill and Foote as I type.

jap1
04-29-2009, 01:54 AM
He seems like an alright guy to me!! :bananen_smilies046:

Yeah, falling asleep at red lights happens. I have fallen asleep twice while waiting at a red light ... during the middle of the day!! One time my foot slipped off the brake and I rolled into the car in front of me. Luckily we both drive beat up trucks so we didnt care.

Granted both times this happened after working in the hospital for 30+ hours straight.

texaschief
04-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Add Travis LaBoy to this list. The 6'3, 260lb. 27 year old would be a nice addition to the LB corp as well. He was recently released by the Cardinals. (same time as Edge)

With Pendergast being the DC, we should expect the same type of defense he ran in Arizona, which was a 4-3/3-4 hybrid. We're still going to need Hali and at least one more good pass rusher at DE when we run that 4-3.

pbatrucker
04-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Add Travis LaBoy to this list. The 6'3, 260lb. 27 year old would be a nice addition to the LB corp as well. He was recently released by the Cardinals. (same time as Edge)

With Pendergast being the DC, we should expect the same type of defense he ran in Arizona, which was a 4-3/3-4 hybrid. We're still going to need Hali and at least one more good pass rusher at DE when we run that 4-3.
I agree. The coaches are very familar with LaBoy and he would be a good addition. Hill would be nice also, but proball to expensive.

DT14PRIEST
05-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Seahawks work out six-year, $38 million deal with untagged LB Hill (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81015793&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

the end

jap1
05-01-2009, 01:50 AM
Seahawks work out six-year, $38 million deal with untagged LB Hill (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81015793&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

the end

damn

CasselFan
05-01-2009, 01:59 AM
[/COLOR][/URL]http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/04/68.jpg

Come on! Even his head looks like an arrowhead!

texaschief
05-01-2009, 02:14 AM
that's gonna be a STACKED LB corp is Seattle. wow

dbolan
05-01-2009, 09:38 AM
that's gonna be a STACKED LB corp is Seattle. wow

And it could have been ours! Good thing they are not in our division anymore.