PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Chiefs Draft Grade

Coach
04-26-2009, 09:11 PM
So what are your thoughts on the 2009 draft. Vote at the top.

*Please keep in mind that the Chiefs spent their 2nd round pick on Matt Cassell and Mike Vrabel when placimg your grades.

Coach
04-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I will honestly say that I was not thrilled with the players we drafted. I didn't see any pick that matched up with what most analysts thought the Chiefs would do. I really hope that Scott knows what he is doing.

With all that said, once you lump in the trade of our 2nd round pick for a franchise QB and Mike Vrabel, then I like this draft a lot more.

The Chiefs had to address the defense with their early picks in my opinion. They did that even if wasn't the players that I would have picked.

My overall grade including the Cassell trade(2nd rd): B

DT14PRIEST
04-26-2009, 09:21 PM
I voted C range with just the draft.

But if I were to include Cassel and Vrabel for the 2nd round I'd bump the grade up to C+/B grade.

All speculative and just my initial reactions.

edit: iam looking forward to see whats avalible and what is to come through with UDFA signings

KottkeKU
04-26-2009, 09:39 PM
i liked the draft. wasnt an A. I say B-, so B. id give it a 81 or so out of 100...

I liked our first and third round selections, and the cb....all the rest of the picks i didnt really think were that special....a WR, RB ?? O line was addressed too late IMO (in my opinion)

I think we have a lot of trading to do....seeya Tank, Turk, Tamba, maybe Dorsey...man thats a lot of turnaround. we are going to suck again next year.

But i think Pioli got some good defensive players in this years draft. I thought the Tyson Jackson pick was the right choice as much as it hurt to let Curry go. simply put, 3-4 DEs are MUCH harder to find than outside LBs...this made Jacksons value much higher than his overall ability...so Curry was the better player, but this guy will make our defense better than Curry would...if that makes sense...

chiefsfreak4life
04-26-2009, 09:49 PM
I will honestly say that I was not thrilled with the players we drafted. I didn't see any pick that matched up with what most analysts thought the Chiefs would do. I really hope that Scott knows what he is doing.

With all that said, once you lump in the trade of our 2nd round pick for a franchise QB and Mike Vrabel, then I like this draft a lot more.

The Chiefs had to address the defense with their early picks in my opinion. They did that even if wasn't the players that I would have picked.

You know I voted C, but after reading your post, and thinking about the Cassel/Vrabel trade, I would have to agree and say it would be a B grade instead. I know Tyson Jackson wasn't the "sexy" pick, but he fills a need for a runstopping DE. The D line has several good young players now, I expect Edwards, Boone to be gone. Hopefully Hali can switch to the OLB and rush from the right. I think our LB's will be ok for this year.

honda522
04-26-2009, 10:07 PM
A if your going to count Cassel and Vrable in. Maybe a B without them. Really you can't grade them till you see the players in action.

Coach
04-26-2009, 10:13 PM
I think you have to consider the Cassel/Vrabel trade. Otherwise we would have had a 2nd round pick(35) that would have landed a major player.

I think one thing this draft showed is the premium that teams are putting on having a quality QB. Cassel is better than Sanchez, Stafford, and Freeman in my opinion. And we got him and Vrabel for a 2nd round pick and likely for less money tham we would have had to pay a 1st round pick.

Our 2nd round pick may have been the pick of the draft.

KristofLaw
04-26-2009, 11:19 PM
This years draft held many surprises and KC wasn't without a few for myself and probably the majority of Chief's nation. My initial reaction to day one was 'what the' but as I ponder over what has occurred in the off-season and what may happen I still believe we are continuing on a winning course.

Many within the Chief's fan-base, myself included felt we needed to build from the front lines, however many analysts do not feel this is so and with the off-season turning it's head to the second phase of free-agency perhaps we will go to the O-line from there.

What has happened is our team's depth on D and our transition to 3-4 has been shored up. Could we have dropped back and picked up Jackson, maybe/maybe not. I don't think trades are needed or we have to dump any of our defensive front. Take a look at the Giants and the rotation they use. On the other hand we have some trade value with our d-line as well.

Our youthful team has acquired veteran help in Cassell, Goff, Vrabel/Thomas/Beisel, and Engram. The question seems to be how well they will gel, and are the changes to the roster enough to make up the difference in the close losses we have suffered over the past couple seasons?

I give the team a B- in the draft but bump it up into a solid A with the inclusion of the Patriots Cassell trade as well as our current off-season activities thus far.

*We also have 2 second round picks in a much deeper draft next season.*

Coach
04-26-2009, 11:24 PM
OK, why not draft a NT though? I'm guessing that Tank is going to play NT. What happens if he gets hurt? Who is going to step in? They dropped the ball on a NT IMO.

pbatrucker
04-26-2009, 11:30 PM

I'd say "B" aslo. I can live with Jackson, we had to have someone to stop the run. After the 3rd rd pick, Haley said Dorseywould play DE also. Tells me they didn't like his chances. He also said McBride and Tyler were the NT's. Hali better be able to adjust to being a LB or he's gone.
Even giving them an OK on 3 and 4, after that every pick that was made, i'd check who was available and there would be OL, DL or LBers that I had on my list going at 5 or 6. A DT from Hampton collage I had on my sleeper list, also on that list and not drafted, Hoyer,QB MSU, 59% completion rate last year, but had 65 passes dropped. There are still some good players out there, available as undrafted free agents.
:11:

KristofLaw
04-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I am also questioning that decision. What I do see is talent on the front and maybe a rotation of our front after someone wins the position.

There is also the possibility of a trade or signing a remaining DT. We do have the money. Here's the available Dt's. Scout.com: 2009 NFL Free Agency DT Rankings (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2009&nid=83&lnid=83&rc=16&pid=22)

Maybe Robertson deserves a look or Kendrick Allen's big and from LSU :D but I wouldn't doubt the Chief's brass are looking at free-agency phase 2 now. Honestly, I'm not sure how the draft phased out my grade was on the optimistic side.

Coach
04-26-2009, 11:39 PM
He also said McBride and Tyler were the NT's.

McBride had better put on 40-50 lbs in the next 4 months if he doesn't want to get blown up at NT.

pbatrucker
04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
McBride had better put on 40-50 lbs in the next 4 months if he doesn't want to get blown up at NT.
:bananen_smilies046: Agreed!!

Vanilla Garilla
04-27-2009, 12:01 AM
I definitely give them a B. Would have been an A if they would have taken Curry or Monroe with the first pick.

Chiefster
04-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Overall I guess I'd give a "B"

AussieChiefsFan
04-27-2009, 12:45 AM
I gave it a "D" because we needed Aaron Curry and he was available when it was out turn to pick. When I saw that we had not chosen Curry I was dissapointed but not angry. Then I saw the the Seahawks got him. THE PICK AFTER US!!!!!!! I am also sorta annoyed because we didn't get any other LineBacker when we really needed one and we didn't get a safety either when IMO we need another one that can be bilt into a star one. One other thing; why di we get a Kicker, Cundiff is alright isn't he?

Hayvern
04-27-2009, 12:58 AM
I can see some good things coming from what we got, I gave the grade a B. I too would have liked to get Curry, but I think we got what we needed and it will help.

I can see some things being moved around. I could see Hali losing a couple of pounds and being moved to Linebacker. Possibly moving Dorsey to End and playing Tyler in the nose tackle spot. I know that is a lot of moving around, but it is not like offense, I think the front seven can move around like that.

We'll see what the future holds. I would think there might be a couple more moves as well before everything is over.

josh1971
04-27-2009, 01:12 AM
I gave it a "D" because we needed Aaron Curry and he was available when it was out turn to pick. When I saw that we had not chosen Curry I was dissapointed but not angry. Then I saw the the Seahawks got him. THE PICK AFTER US!!!!!!! I am also sorta annoyed because we didn't get any other LineBacker when we really needed one and we didn't get a safety either when IMO we need another one that can be bilt into a star one. One other thing; why di we get a Kicker, Cundiff is alright isn't he?

Curry just wasn't the absolute necessity that a lot of people think he was. With Thomas, DJ, and Vrabel, and having a number of other linebackers we signed in free agency, I think we'll be adequate in the linebacking corps this season. Our weakness was up front, last year, and drafting Tyson Jackson definitely puts some 3-4 talent there.

And our kicker is Connor Barth, not Cundiff.

jb

pbatrucker
04-27-2009, 01:17 AM
:11: QUESTION!!!!!! This came into my head saturday after a couple of beers at the draft party. WHY DOES THE NFL DRAFT HAVE TO BE IN NYC EVERY YEAR? Why can't it be hosted by all 32 teams, giving all fans a chance to enjoy the big party. I beleive this is unfair and we should press this issue.
:yahoo: :bananen_smilies046: :drunkhb:

AussieChiefsFan
04-27-2009, 01:43 AM
Curry just wasn't the absolute necessity that a lot of people think he was. With Thomas, DJ, and Vrabel, and having a number of other linebackers we signed in free agency, I think we'll be adequate in the linebacking corps this season. Our weakness was up front, last year, and drafting Tyson Jackson definitely puts some 3-4 talent there.

jb
Sorry, my mistake. Haven't talked about those two guys in a while.

AussieChiefsFan
04-27-2009, 01:56 AM

jbBTW what does "jb" stand for?

pbatrucker
04-27-2009, 01:58 AM
:11: Quote Todd Mc Shay, Scouts INC. a uninspiring first draft for Pioli and disappointing for Chiefs fans.
:bananen_smilies046: At least one so called expert got something right.
:drunkhb:

josh1971
04-27-2009, 03:18 AM
BTW what does "jb" stand for?

It's my initials

slimdagreat
04-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Overall I say C-.

They could have traded down with the Jets, and probably still gotten Jackson considering how far Orakpo and Maybin fell. and they would have a 2nd rounder and a collection of players.

pbatrucker
04-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Overall I say C-.

They could have traded down with the Jets, and probably still gotten Jackson considering how far Orakpo and Maybin fell. and they would have a 2nd rounder and a collection of players.
:bananen_smilies046: Why would the Jets want to move up to 3rd and spend another $20 mil?

jmlamerson
04-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Overall I say C-.

No, they couldn't have. No one wanted to move to the third spot.

yashi
04-27-2009, 09:48 AM
I'll be blunt, I thought we had a terrible draft.

First off, we had a chance to take the best defensive player in the draft in Aaron Curry. You can tell me LB isn't a need, but I look at the roster and only see 1 of 4 linebacker positions that have someone who will be a capable starter for us in 2 years. Instead we took Jackson, who while he is certainly the best 3-4 DE in the draft which was also a huge need, with the 3rd overall pick you better be getting a superstar, and that I believe he will not be. Curry, meanwhile, will likely be attending pro bowl after pro bowl for much of his career and rack up 100+ tackle seasons easily.

Secondly, we took Magee. Honestly this pick makes no sense to me, personally. Another 5 technique 3-4 DE? Why didn't we just take Curry and draft Magee in the 3rd? Or better yet, why not Jarron Gilbert who went 1 pick later to the Bears and is more talented and built like a prototypical 3-4 DE. What position does Glenn Dorsey play now? Rotational lineman?

Third pick Donald Washington, CB from Ohio State. Maybe the worst pick for me. CB is the one position we have pretty good depth at with the Brandons and Leggett, who is a playmaking nickelback and had a couple of TDs last year. We had a great chance to address a big need at RT while also getting good value with someone like T.J. Lang, who will be starting for the Packers.

Colin Brown, OT. Finally Pioli addressed RT, sort of. We drafted an oak tree in Columbia, MO. The problem is this guy probably wouldn't have even been drafted if we didn't take him. He was the 58th ranked OT on ESPN, and only the top 27 or so were projected to be drafted. There were also much better OTs available such as Jamon Meredith, who is much smaller but definitely NFL talent. Colin Brown ran the slowest 40 I've ever seen, around a 5.55. Essentially, he's a tree who will probably be run right around in the NFL.

Note: The best OG in the draft, Duke Robinson, was still avaiable at this point.

6th round we drafted Will Franklin.... oops, I mean Quintin Lawrence. Both are fast, raw, injury prone, and can't run good routes, but at least Franklin is 6' 210.

And onto the 7th round picks.

Javarris Williams - Right position, wrong player. Rashad Jennings was still available, who many had as easily one of the top 6-7 backs in the draft and a 2nd or 3rd round talent. Jennings is clearly bigger and better. Williams is clearly not good enough to replace LJ, or even come close.

Then we traded to get Jake O'Connell. Didn't we already sign 2 tight ends? Hopefully he can play.

And finally, Mr. Irrevelevant 2009, Ryan Suck-Up. He must have really sucked up, because he was only 20/30 in field goals his senior year and shouldn't have been drafted. Not to mention Graham Gano is much more accurate and I'm positive has a stronger leg. Not to mention we have nobody with nose tackle size, and Chris Baker went undrafted.

Ok, I'm done venting. Basically I gave us a C in the poll, but after thinking about it more, it should have been a D. I don't really agree with a single pick, honestly. Hopefully all the reaches turn out to be good players, otherwise it's going to look like Pioli didn't do his research.

jmlamerson
04-27-2009, 09:53 AM
OK, why not draft a NT though? I'm guessing that Tank is going to play NT. What happens if he gets hurt? Who is going to step in? They dropped the ball on a NT IMO.

Dorsey's going to play NT. Whether that will work, I don;t know. But we're going to give him the shot.

I'll believe it when I see it, but I hope to see it.

dbolan
04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
C+ for me as well. That first pick was not the best in my opinion.

yashi
04-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Dorsey's going to play NT. Whether that will work, I don;t know. But we're going to give him the shot.

lamerson you of all people should be criticizing Pioli for drafting in such a way that sets Dorsey up to play NT. I know you don't think he can do it, and that position obviously doesn't utilize what he's good at. Dorsey is going to be improperly coached for his entire career at this rate.

pbatrucker
04-27-2009, 10:20 AM

Haley stated in his Q&A that Dorsey would play DE in the 3-4. Says a whole lot about what they think of him when they draft 2 DE's.

KottkeKU
04-27-2009, 10:55 AM
so from what i understand, Magee will be backing up dorsey/jackson at DE, and when we go to 4 man fronts, he will play DE? While we move Dorsey and Jackson inside...

we better be STOUT against the run next year...

pbatrucker
04-27-2009, 11:11 AM
so from what i understand, Magee will be backing up dorsey/jackson at DE, and when we go to 4 man fronts, he will play DE? While we move Dorsey and Jackson inside...

we better be STOUT against the run next year...

McGee, because of his height and reach has an advantage over Dorsey as a 3-4 DE. I just hope Dorsey gets ticked about being jerked around and proves he is still the man.
And yes we will be able to stop the run.

chiefnut
04-27-2009, 12:06 PM
with all these DE's who will play NT?

pbatrucker
04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
with all these DE's who will play NT?
Tank Tyler
:bananen_smilies046:

jmlamerson
04-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Tank Tyler
:bananen_smilies046:

Edwards will have to get some sort of shot too.

pbatrucker
04-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Edwards will have to get some sort of shot too.

Since they are both a little lite, I see them rotating until either one puts on 20#s of muscle.

AussieChiefsFan
04-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Who voted "F"?

Hayvern
04-27-2009, 09:49 PM
all in all though it makes me feel good that we scored better on our draft than any other AFC west team. Even the Chargers only got a B.

Denver and Oakland.... MUAHAHAHAHAHA

AussieChiefsFan
04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
all in all though it makes me feel good that we scored better on our draft than any other AFC west team. Even the Chargers only got a B.

Denver and Oakland.... MUAHAHAHAHAHA
:sign0151:

DT14PRIEST
04-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Let's go BARRY RICHARDSON!

I'll buy a blank jersey and slap his name on it if he starts

KottkeKU
02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
not a great 2009 campaign from the first Pioli class...but pretty solid. i stick with the B grade. I have seen much worse, but it would have been nice to hit on one of those 3rd-4th round selections from 2009..

Tyson Jackson started to play really well towards the end of the season, and Cassel and Vrabel proved to be one of the best 2nd round draft picks i can remember... Too early to tell on A.Magee, and obviously Succop was the steal of the draft for us. So the WR, RB, and OL they tried to address look like misfires at this point. Quinten Lawrence did get some return action late in the season, so we will have to see how he ends up too....

2010 Draft is even more important than the last few years, so lets hope its a good one...

Coach
02-11-2010, 11:46 PM
not a great 2009 campaign from the first Pioli class...but pretty solid. i stick with the B grade. I have seen much worse, but it would have been nice to hit on one of those 3rd-4th round selections from 2009..

Tyson Jackson started to play really well towards the end of the season, and Cassel and Vrabel proved to be one of the best 2nd round draft picks i can remember... Too early to tell on A.Magee, and obviously Succop was the steal of the draft for us. So the WR, RB, and OL they tried to address look like misfires at this point. Quinten Lawrence did get some return action late in the season, so we will have to see how he ends up too....

2010 Draft is even more important than the last few years, so lets hope its a good one...

I think we have a franchise QB in Cassell. We have our kicker in Succop. Based upon those two players alone, I think this draft was suscessful.

Tyson Jackson is a big ? mark in my opinion. Especially with the players that were still sitting on the board at the time. I still think this draft gets a B grade. If Jackson develops, I think we will look back on this draft as a turning point for the Chiefs because they brought in Cassel. I know others are not sold on him. I am. I look forward to seeing how he develops as this team develops. He needs a few more weapons and better protection. With that, I think he could be a Top 10 QB in this league.