PDA

View Full Version : My KC Post draft - Mock Draft

Coach
04-26-2009, 11:09 PM
I think everyone here is a little stunned at how the draft played out for the Chiefs. So I decided to put together a post draft Mock draft. I am basing my draft based upon the players that were still on the board when the Chiefs picked in each round.

1st round: Aaron Curry (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/aaron-curry?id=79842)- LB
3rd Round: Jarron Gilbert (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/jarron-gilbert?id=79559)- DE
4th round: Brandon Williams (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/brandon-williams?id=71515) - DE
5th round: Duke Robinson (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/duke-robinson?id=71455)- OL
6th round: Andrew Gardner (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/andrew-gardner?id=71311)- OT
7th round: Demetrius Byrd (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/demetrius-byrd?id=71235)- WR
7th round: Chris Baker (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/chris-baker?id=79529)- NT

All players were still on the board, but were passed on. Chris Baker the NT was undrafted. He's got some character concerns but IMO they need to go get him immediately.

Please post yours so we can compare notes.

jap1
04-26-2009, 11:16 PM
I think everyone here is a little stunned at how the draft played out for the Chiefs. So I decided to put together a post draft Mock draft. I am basing my draft based upon the players that were still on the board when the Chiefs picked in each round.

1st round: Aaron Curry - LB
3rd Round: Jarron Gilbert - DE
4th round: Brandon Williams - DE
5th round: Duke Robinson - OL
6th round: Andrew Gardner - OT
7th round: Demetrius Byrd - WR
7th round: Chris Baker - NT

All players were still on the board, but were passed on. Chris Baker the NT was undrafrted. They need to go get him immediately.

Please post yours so we can compare notes.

Demetrius Byrd has been in intensive care after a car crash. I think he is still in the hospital after a week. I question the risk of using a pick on him at all.

Coach
04-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Demetrius Byrd has been in intensive care after a car crash. I think he is still in the hospital after a week. I question the risk of using a pick on him at all.
4.42 in the 40yd.
36-in vertical.

He is expected to make a full recovery and was projected much higher than the 7th round. But I will give you that one if you'd like.

Chief Tyler
04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
What happened to Duke that he dropped so badly? I didn't even see his name today, did he even get drafted?

Coach
04-26-2009, 11:43 PM
What happened to Duke that he dropped so badly? I didn't even see his name today, did he even get drafted?
5th round. I'm not sure what happened, I was shocked we didn't snatch him up in the 4th or 5th round.

pbatrucker
04-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Hampton was on my list. At 6'2",329, strong and fast, can play NT or DE, someone from the Chiefs should have been on the phone yesterday. There was off the field issue that I could find no information on. 3 colleges and all that.
Duke Robinson Jasper Brinkly and Follet were all there until 6 th or 7th round. And alot of you know Jaron Gilbert was on my list B4 he strarted climbing the draft boards.
:wheelchair:

Coach
04-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Hampton was on my list. At 6'2",329, strong and fast, can play NT or DE, someone from the Chiefs should have been on the phone yesterday. There was off the field issue that I could find no information on. 3 colleges and all that.
Duke Robinson Jasper Brinkly and Follet were all there until 6 th or 7th round. And alot of you know Jaron Gilbert was on my list B4 he strarted climbing the draft boards.
:wheelchair:

How does McGee go before Gilbert? Puzzling.

pbatrucker
04-26-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm still confused. Even if I give them the 1st and 3rd picks, the rest of the draft makes no sense.

AussieChiefsFan
04-27-2009, 12:39 AM

1st round: Aaron Curry (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/aaron-curry?id=79842)- LB

3rd Round: Jarron Gilbert (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/jarron-gilbert?id=79559)- DE
4th round: Brandon Williams (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/brandon-williams?id=71515) - DE
5th round: Duke Robinson (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/duke-robinson?id=71455)- OL
6th round: Andrew Gardner (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/andrew-gardner?id=71311)- OT
7th round: Demetrius Byrd (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/demetrius-byrd?id=71235)- WR
7th round: Chris Baker (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/chris-baker?id=79529)- NT

All players were still on the board, but were passed on. Chris Baker the NT was undrafted. He's got some character concerns but IMO they need to go get him immediately.

Please post yours so we can compare notes.Not picking Aaron Curry IMO will be the biggest mistake that the chiefs will make for a long wjile to come! We needed him and he was up for grabs when it was out turn to pick we blew it. Aaron Curry was voted to have the most successfuf career out of any of the other players in the draft. To sum it all up; I am extremely annoyed with the decision!

pbatrucker
04-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Not picking Aaron Curry IMO will be the biggest mistake that the chiefs will make for a long wjile to come! We needed him and he was up for grabs when it was out turn to pick we blew it. Aaron Curry was voted to have the most successfuf career out of any of the other players in the draft. To sum it all up; I am extremely annoyed with the decision!
:bananen_smilies046: AUSSIE, you know I'm a Curry fan, but we also needed Jackson. Follow our lead little brother and keep the faith and let's hope Pioli and Haley proves they are great football minds.
GO CHIEFS, SB BOUND AND PRAY TO GOD IT'S NOT HELD IN ENGLAND!!!!!
:11:

AussieChiefsFan
04-27-2009, 12:55 AM
:bananen_smilies046: AUSSIE, you know I'm a Curry fan, but we also needed Jackson. Follow our lead little brother and keep the faith and let's hope Pioli and Haley proves they are great football minds.
GO CHIEFS, SB BOUND AND PRAY TO GOD IT'S NOT HELD IN ENGLAND!!!!!
:11:Yeah, now that we have pioli now instead of CP we have a better chance at pretty much everything.:) Although I'm still not pleases with the TG trade. BTW I'm pretty sure the SB next year is gonna be held in Miami. So is the Pro Bowl unfortunatley. I like it in Hawaii.:bananen_smilies046:

DT14PRIEST
04-27-2009, 02:48 AM

From what I read and heard is that Magee was rated as the best defensive prospect to come out of Purdue in a couple of years and was highly touted for his size, strength, football smarts, and versatility.

I think the Chiefs valued that the most, IQ and versaility, over production numbers as a majority of Gilberts hype came after his standout senior season and the youtube video. Was considered the second best 3-4 end prospect avalible in the the draft and went around the area scouts had projected (early 3rd).

I think that helped propel him over a raw GIlbert whose stock only began to rise his senior season and after the youtube video.

yashi
04-27-2009, 07:58 AM
From what Herm said, it sounds like if it was still the Herm/Carl show, Curry would have been a Chief.

Too bad he would have been coached poorly and had a bottlenecked career :D

ewendt128
04-27-2009, 04:12 PM
1) Aaron Curry, LB
3) Jarron Gilbert, DE
4) Javon Ringer, RB
5) Herman Johnson, OL
6) Tiquan Underwood, WR
7) Troy Nolan, S
7) Lendy Holmes, S

jmlamerson
04-27-2009, 04:22 PM
1st round: Tyson Jackson - DE

Love the pick. We needed a versatile DE with size to make the 3-4 transition.

3rd Round: Alex Magee - DE

Wasn't on my radar before the draft, but I trust Pioli/Haley that he was the next best 3-4 DE. Jarron Gilbert dropped for a reason.

4th round: Herman Johnson - OG

I didn't like the Washington pick, although I understand it. I would rather of had some size on our OL. Plus, it would be our second LSU grad of this draft.

5th round: Colin Brown - OT

I'm not going to pretend I know enough about the OTs this low to second guess the pick.

6th round: Quinten Lawrence - WR

I'm fine with this pick. We badly needed a PR/KR, and he was the best available.

7th round: Curtis Taylor - FS

I hate Page, and would love to find his replacement. Plus, it would be our third LSU grad of this draft.

7th round: Chris Baker - NT

Agreed. Would have been a perfect final pick.

yashi
04-27-2009, 04:43 PM
7th round: Curtis Taylor - FS

I hate Page, and would love to find his replacement. Plus, it would be our third LSU grad of this draft.

What about DaJuan Morgan? I'd much rather give him a chance at FS if Page falters than some 7th round scrub. Morgan played both safety positions in college. He was Mike Mayock's #2 ranked FS in his class.

jmlamerson
04-27-2009, 04:51 PM
What about DaJuan Morgan? I'd much rather give him a chance at FS if Page falters than some 7th round scrub. Morgan played both safety positions in college. He was Mike Mayock's #2 ranked FS in his class.

I dunno. What I saw out of Morgan last year made me think that he's a prototypical SS. I didn't see him as a FS. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

northwest
04-27-2009, 07:57 PM
the more i think about it, the more i'm glad we didn't get curry. he's very appealing, but it's not what our team needed.

now we just to pick up leroy hill from the seahawks. basically an aaron curry without the appeal.

Vandelay
04-27-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm so tired of hearing about Curry. IMO it was a good call to pass on him. We won't Know for sure for a couple of years, but I believe Jackson will be the better player.

KristofLaw
04-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Nevermind Curry... he's great, but look at all the people who passed on Maualuga who a number of however many days ago was rated right there with Curry. That was where I wouldn't have minded trading back up... uhhmm yeah. Purely speculative at the moment.

jaimevick
04-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Maualuga is a head case. He will fit right in with the rest of the criminals in the Bengals organization.

YouTube - Rey Maualuga grinding on Hotty Erin Andrews

chief31
04-28-2009, 07:16 PM
I dunno. What I saw out of Morgan last year made me think that he's a prototypical SS. I didn't see him as a FS. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Maualuga is a head case. He will fit right in with the rest of the criminals in the Bengals organization.

YouTube - Rey Maualuga grinding on Hotty Erin Andrews (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdDGYsYXHKc)

That looks pretty bad. But it all depends upon how well he knows her.

yashi
04-28-2009, 07:42 PM
That looks pretty bad. But it all depends upon how well he knows her.

I find it hard to believe she's OK with him doing that while she's preparing for her job in front of millions of viewers, no matter how well he knows her. Erin is a classy lady.

texaschief
04-28-2009, 11:22 PM
1. Aaron Curry- The Chiefs are going to line up with AT LEAST two LBs 34 or older. It would've been nice to have another cornerstone type player in the fold to learn from those two vets. Plus, I believe he represented better value than Tyson Jackson. I'm not completely angry at the Tyson pick because he is a needed piece for the new defense. What made me upset was the fact that Pioli said they weren't trying to trade down and get Jackson. He absolutely would've been been there at number 8 before the Packers picked. But when you look at the board, there just isn't a good trading partner because of how bad the Bengals and Raiders are at the draft. I'm sure the Jags, 49ers and Bills all got the player they wanted. So, if Pioli knew Jackson would've gone to the Packers or Broncos, you can't be too angry at the #3 pick.
3. Antoine Caldwell- If Haley and Pioli see Dorsey on the outside, why are we taking Magee? This pick really bothered me because we could've found a starter on the O-line, but instead, we essentially draft a third or fourth player rotational player on the end, whether Magee is that guy or pushes another player to that spot. Give me a pure center and push Niswanger over to his natural spot at Guard. But hey. Maybe this pick guarantees Waters is going to stay. They don't seem too concerned about replacing the perennial Pro Bowler... but Peterson didn't concern himself with such matters wither, so who knows.
4. Donald Washington- I'm going to trust their evaluations on this one. He seems like a GREAT athlete who was hamstrung by injuries. Plus, I can't find anyone I'd rather have than Washington at this pick. Our depth at CB looks great with this pick.
5. Duke Robinson- Brown isn't going to be our starting RT. Robinson has the skill set to be a starter in a year or so worth of development. Brown is a MASSIVE human being and it would be a wonderful thing if he did develop into a starter. He just seems too slow to me to keep up with the pass blocking... and looking at Haley's past offenses, we're going to need a good pass blocking RT.
6. Quinten Lawrence- This is THE ONE pick that I was ecstatic over. I've seen this kid play and he's electrifying. I didn't expect him to still be available. I've seen a lot of people saying he's just going to be a return guy, but in Haley's offense, he's going to be a utilized weapon and he has the moves to hit a homerun every time he touches the ball. GREAT PICK
7. Jarvis Williams- Will probably be a fullback at the NFL level. I can't see him passing Charles or Smith as the 2nd or 3rd RB. Unless he's going to be a FB, this is probably a wasted pick. If he IS FB, he could give the Chiefs a new wrinkle in the offense with his speed at that position.
7. Jake O'Connell- I heard an interesting theory about this guy. His "measurables" are almost identical to Connor Barwin, the 2nd rd DE/OLB. O'Connell played S/WR in high school. Barwin played TE until his last year in college. Jake is 6'3, 250 and ran a 4.66. Barwin was being compared to Vrabel. If O'Connell lines up with the LB's in training camp, this could be the steal of the draft.
7. Chase Patton- I like this pick better than a 66% FG kicker. Maybe that's just me.

Bike
04-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Irrelavent, but here's mine..

Rd. 1....Aaron Curry
Rd. 3....Alex Magee
Rd. 4....Jonathon Luigs
Rd. 5....Duke Robinson
Rd. 7....Demetrius Byrd
Rd. 7....Nick Reed
Rd. 7....Chris Baker

yashi
04-29-2009, 10:01 AM
1. Aaron Curry (LB)
3. Jarron Gilbert (DE)
4. T.J. Lang (OT)
5. Duke Robinson (OG)
6. Cameron Morrah (TE)
7. Rashad Jennings (RB)
7. Darryl Beckwith (LB)
7. Chris Baker (NT)

I wish I didn't bother to do that... now I'm just kind of mad to realize such a draft was possible.

As important as depth is on the D-Line, given that we took Jackson in the first round.. instead of drafting a backup DE, why not take a guy like T.J. Lang, who is ready to immediately start at RT?

ah well, I should really stop looking back at this point.

Bike
04-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Irrelavent, but here's mine..

Rd. 1....Aaron Curry
Rd. 3....Alex Magee
Rd. 4....Jonathon Luigs
Rd. 5....Duke Robinson
Rd. 6....Jarius Wynn
Rd. 7....Demetrius Byrd
Rd. 7....Nick Reed
Rd. 7....Chris Baker
Oops. Forgot round 6