PDA

View Full Version : Defense Question

rodu
04-27-2009, 07:58 PM
I just read a brief article on the Chiefs official site, saying we'll use an odd man front; a 3-5. Who is the extra player? Just a safety lining up in the box on a regular basis? I'm not to familiar with the 3-4 or 3-5 since we've been a 4-3 team for as long as i can remember

sammyboy909
04-27-2009, 09:03 PM
we're making the switch to the 3-4 this season, which is a front with three down lineman and four linebackers. This is a defense that has become very popular in the NFL in the past few years, and it can be implemented very effectively if you have the right personel. Both our early draft picks are ideal Defensive ends in the 3-4, with Jackson playing a true 5-technique (lining up on the outside shade the offensive tackle) and Magee being more of a three technique (lining up outside the opposite guard). In this scheme most of the speed pass rushing is done by the outside linebackers, so, for example we will probably end up moving Tamba Hali to an outside linebacker spot.

The main issue is that the whole key to making the 3-4 work is the nose tackle position. This is one of the most punishing positions in all of football. Last year we spent our #5 overall pick on Glenn Dorsey and it would be great if we could utilize him at the nose, but there are questions as to whether he would be able to do it.

yashi
04-27-2009, 09:09 PM
we're making the switch to the 3-4 this season, which is a front with three down lineman and four linebackers. This is a defense that has become very popular in the NFL in the past few years, and it can be implemented very effectively if you have the right personel. Both our early draft picks are ideal Defensive ends in the 3-4, with Jackson playing a true 5-technique (lining up on the outside shade the offensive tackle) and Magee being more of a three technique (lining up outside the opposite guard). In this scheme most of the speed pass rushing is done by the outside linebackers, so, for example we will probably end up moving Tamba Hali to an outside linebacker spot.

The main issue is that the whole key to making the 3-4 work is the nose tackle position. This is one of the most punishing positions in all of football. Last year we spent our #5 overall pick on Glenn Dorsey and it would be great if we could utilize him at the nose, but there are questions as to whether he would be able to do it.

well and good, but he's asking about the 3-5-3.

basically at times we'll be stacking 8 in the box with 3 down linemen. Pollard would likely play up near the line in this formation and injure the other teams quarterback accidentally.

Hayvern
04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
well and good, but he's asking about the 3-5-3.

basically at times we'll be stacking 8 in the box with 3 down linemen. Pollard would likely play up near the line in this formation and injure the other teams quarterback accidentally.

Man if we could do that... I don't know, I have a real love affair going on with Pollard right now. I just see that guy hustling for all he is worth! I think he has the speed and drive to be a good pass rusher as long as we have the corners and a safety to stay back and cover the deep pass. Unfortunately, Page is NOT that guy!

yashi
04-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Man if we could do that... I don't know, I have a real love affair going on with Pollard right now. I just see that guy hustling for all he is worth! I think he has the speed and drive to be a good pass rusher as long as we have the corners and a safety to stay back and cover the deep pass. Unfortunately, Page is NOT that guy!

yeah I want to see Pollard blitz more.. while he did almost end Brady's career, the important thing for us is that he was in the backfield on that play.

I love the idea of incorporating the 3-5-3. It could confuse the offense to no end because we could be sending the house or dropping 7 or 8 back in coverage.

rodu
04-27-2009, 10:31 PM

I agree on Page

tornadospotter
04-28-2009, 12:15 AM
This is a make or break season for Page. He better step up, or will be shipped out.

Hayvern
04-28-2009, 01:47 AM
yeah I want to see Pollard blitz more.. while he did almost end Brady's career, the important thing for us is that he was in the backfield on that play.

I love the idea of incorporating the 3-5-3. It could confuse the offense to no end because we could be sending the house or dropping 7 or 8 back in coverage.

Hey, I think there are a lot of people out there giving Pollard a bad wrap on that incident in New England. He clearly was not intentionally kneecapping the guy. I am not saying this is what you are saying, but to even bring it up like this really gets my hackles up.

The KC press even went so far as to ask Cassell about it when he came in as if Cassel was going to say something like "Yeah I hate that Pollard for what he did to Brady!"

Come on, Pollard did not make that hit intentionally it was clear it was accidental and if you play football long enough you are going to get injured, that is how it works.

AussieChiefsFan
04-28-2009, 01:52 AM
3-5-3 is used alot at the college level in passing downs to give the appearence of blitzs and such. I know it is seldom used but it is a very effective way to desguise blitzing packages with the appearence of the zone. It's called Zone Blitz combo. You can look like your blitzing by crowding the line and back off or play loose and blitz in, it keeps an offense very honest and sometimes off balance.
Fair enough.

Ryla02
04-28-2009, 02:02 AM
LOL injure the QB

Canada
04-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Huh? Why would we intentionly injure a teams QB?

Isn't it obvious? So their back up can come in and play for a season and then sign with the Chiefs!!:D

chief31
04-28-2009, 06:37 AM
This is a make or break season for Page. He better step up, or will be shipped out.

I consider him broke. I don't think that he is capable of changing the poor habits that he has shown.

It's about instincts, and it is rare to see someone make real improvements to their instincts.

rodu
04-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Any chance Dajaun Morgan can take over at FS?

Sn@keIze
04-28-2009, 08:48 AM
I havent given up on Page yet. Yes he needs to learn to wrap up and is more finesse.

But lets see how he does when we have a pass rush and recievers cant run around like wild chickens.

Hes living in the shadow of Jerome Woods.

Sn@keIze
04-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Any chance Dajaun Morgan can take over at FS?
hell ya theres a chance! one impression that Im getting from Pioli and Haley is that there will be competition within the team and the best will get the job.

And they are not afraid to mix and match positions, heck, I dont really know whos a DT or DE at this point.

yashi
04-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I think Morgan or Page are fine for the time being.

I'm still questioning why Pioli didn't chase Gibril Wilson after the Raiders releasd him.

jmlamerson
04-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I think Morgan or Page are fine for the time being.

I'm still questioning why Pioli didn't chase Gibril Wilson after the Raiders releasd him.

Maybe we did and he chose the Dolphins over us. It wouldn't shock me if we chased guys like Wilson, Canty, and Housmandazeh and they turned us down. If we did and they did, Pioli probably doesn't want it known.

Canada
04-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Uuuuuuuuuuuh, yea. Canada, please take a break at beer number 18 so you can think long enough to get a ligit answer LMAO! J/K buddy , keep up the good work man, your obvious answers are astounding. Very astupe.

Would you rather I just repeat the same thing everyone else says over and over? Being serious gets boring. :bananen_smilies046: Have a beer, u will find me much funnier!! :bananen_smilies046:

Canada
04-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Can't drink alcohol my friend. My medication needs to stay alive require me to stay alcohol free. However to answer your question, I was being serious, I enjoy your obvious answers BUT, wouldn't hurt for ya to loosin up and take it all in stride. SARCASM is a great thing when it's used in proper fashion :D
:bananen_smilies046::drunkhb::drunkhb::drunkhb:

You may possibly be the first person to ever tell me to loosen up!! :sign0098:

tornadospotter
04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Uuuuuuuuuuuh, yea. Canada, please take a break at beer number 18 so you can think long enough to get a ligit answer LMAO! J/K buddy , keep up the good work man, your obvious answers are astounding. Very astupe.
This is miss information, beer 18,

Would you rather I just repeat the same thing everyone else says over and over? Being serious gets boring. :bananen_smilies046: Have a beer, u will find me much funnier!! :bananen_smilies046:
yes we, I resemble this statement.:drunkhb:

You may possibly be the first person to ever tell me to loosen up!! :sign0098:

O no, you did not just tell Canada to loosen up?
YouTube - Who Let the Dogs out??- Baha men Original version

Somebody has to do it brotha, all in the family ya know. YEEEEEEEA!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I know is the 2009 Chiefs are just lookin too SWEEEEEEEEEEET!
Hey , Canada, tighten it up man your slouchin ;)
Pull the dogs back in, The home opener is coming some day.

chiefnut
04-28-2009, 04:07 PM
3-5-3 is used alot at the college level in passing downs to give the appearence of blitzs and such. I know it is seldom used but it is a very effective way to desguise blitzing packages with the appearence of the zone. It's called Zone Blitz combo. You can look like your blitzing by crowding the line and back off or play loose and blitz in, it keeps an offense very honest and sometimes off balance. It is what most people call a Nickel line up.

the 3-5-3 is just the 3-4 w/a safety in an apparent blitz formation. he and or any number of the other LB's may blitze or drop into coverage at the snap. that is Zone Blitzing that the steelers have developped to an art form and have used to confuse manning & the colts. many other teams are now trying to copy their success, including us.!!:yahoo:

Coach
04-28-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't think it's time to give up on any of our defensive players. We are moving to a new scheme and we have a new DC. There will be guys that surprise this year both good and bad.

New scheme, new chance for many of these guys. Especially DJ. I'm very excited about his chances.

I'm also very interested to see how they use Dorsey. As long as he isn't head up on the center, I think he could become more like the player we thought we were drafting.

Sn@keIze
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't think it's time to give up on any of our defensive players. We are moving to a new scheme and we have a new DC. There will be guys that surprise this year both good and bad.

New scheme, new chance for many of these guys. Especially DJ. I'm very excited about his chances.

I'm also very interested to see how they use Dorsey. As long as he isn't head up on the center, I think he could become more like the player we thought we were drafting.good post. pretty much sums it up for me

Hayvern
04-30-2009, 06:43 PM

I just noticed in another posted article today that Page is a restricted free agent and has not yet signed his tender.

One has to wonder what he is holding out for. Can't be much.

Of course he did have 62 tackles last season. That is pretty good, but one has to also remember that when the linebackers could not make the stop, the only person left is the safety.

jakesmith
04-30-2009, 08:03 PM

I'm also very interested to see how they use Dorsey. As long as he isn't head up on the center, I think he could become more like the player we thought we were drafting.

Remember they were talking to Will Shields about Doresy and how he thought they were telling him to line up wrong? It seemed to make sense to me.

One thing I'm worried about is if Dorsey is big enough to play Nose Tackle. He has been considered undersized for a DT. As far as I know the Nose Tackle needs to be a pretty big guy to plug up the middle. I wonder if Dorsey could move outside to DE and use his quickness.

Pro_Angler
04-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Yea witht the right LB's we could really put a hurting on the offense.

rodu
04-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Remember they were talking to Will Shields about Doresy and how he thought they were telling him to line up wrong? It seemed to make sense to me.

One thing I'm worried about is if Dorsey is big enough to play Nose Tackle. He has been considered undersized for a DT. As far as I know the Nose Tackle needs to be a pretty big guy to plug up the middle. I wonder if Dorsey could move outside to DE and use his quickness.

Dorsey is playing DE in the 3-4