PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 NFL Draft - My Opinion

AussieChiefsFan
04-30-2009, 03:29 AM
This is what I give each Pick:

Round #1 - I feel that our first pick was not thought through properly. Tyson Jackson is a good player and all but IMO we needed Aaron Curry a lot more. He was available but we didn't seize the moment! My grade for our first pick is "D-".

Round #3 - I unfortunately don't know all that much about Alex Magee so I'll give our 2nd round pick a grade of "C".

Round #4 - To be completely honest with you guys I am quite fond of Donald Washington. He is a good player in my eyes. The only problem is that IMO we don't really need a CB, we needed a safety, which I would have been happier to have drafted. My Grade for this pick is “B+”.

Round #5 – Colin Brown I think was an alright choice. We needed An Offensive Lineman and we got one. Although I think instead of Drafting Alex Magee, instead we should’ve drafted an O-Lineman then instead of in round 4. My grade for this pick is “B”.

Round #6 – Quinten Lawrence IMO was a bit unnecessary. I don’t see the point of drafting a Wide Receiver when we already have 9 others. And only recently we had 10 Wide Receivers! My grade for this pick is “C-”.

Round #7 – Personally I can’t actually make up my mind about Javarris Williams. Not for the how well he plays, but for the fact of “How much do we actually need him?”. If Larry Johnson gets cut, we will need a RB unless Jamaal Charles can become a star player. Personally I think he can, I like him as a player and he played very well in 2008 IMO. He is also my favorite rookie for 2008. My grade for this pick is “C+”.

Round #8 – Another Wide Receiver. My opinion on this pick is the same as the one on Round #5. My grade for this pick is “C-“

Round #9 – This pick was a surprise to me. I wasn’t expecting for us to draft a Kicker at all. It wasn’t an unpleasant one though. I DO hope he develops into a great kicker that can smash the ball for over 50 yards though! I don’t see what’s wrong with our current kicker though. My grade for this pick is “B”.

Well now you guys know what I think of this year’s NFL Draft. Can’t wait until the Pre-season commences!

:bananen_smilies046:

northwest
04-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Passing up on Curry was like passing up on a new computer for xmas to buy something you really need, like a new window.

I'm sad to not have Curry too, but in hindsight, Jackson was a really good pickup. And im pretty sure people started realizing he was the best defensive member for our team because Im positive Pioli didn't leak that we were thinking about him.

DT14PRIEST
04-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Passing up on Curry was like passing up on a new computer for xmas to buy something you really need, like a new window.

Haha

That was a terrific metaphor. Had a good laugh

jakesmith
04-30-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm with ya on Curry. I was really hoping for a young talent in the LB corps to act as a spark plug to get something going. In my opinion, the defensive line is serviceable, the LB corp need help. (Why else add two veterans??)

However, in hindsight I understand why the Chiefs went the route they did. Lets face it, Hali is not going to be a great Right DE. Its pretty obvious Jared Allen took a lot of heat off Hali and freed up blockers so he could get to the QB. I like McBride but he isnt developing into a player that will be a consistant. They needed to get a new DE and move Hali back to the left and have him compete with McBride for the starting job. The switch to 3-4 was also a deciding factor, the Chiefs need big physical DE's and they dont have them atm. Hopefully Jackson can provide that.

This is kind of out there, but, Dorsey is not doing well he needs some help, what better than a former teammate and roommate.

Lastly, back to the linebackers, they just paid quite a bit of money on two veteran LBs. Are they both not Inside Linebackers and wasnt Curry an inside linebacker? I think the Chiefs figured thay got at least 1 year with Thomas and probably 2-3 years with Vrabel. They are thinking getting a LB next year or the year after is ok and fix the line today.

josh1971
04-30-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm with ya on Curry. I was really hoping for a young talent in the LB corps to act as a spark plug to get something going. In my opinion, the defensive line is serviceable, the LB corp need help. (Why else add two veterans??)

I think that was backwards. I thought the linebackers (with the addition of Vrabel and Thomas) were serviceable, but the line was just terrible.

jb

honda522
04-30-2009, 10:38 PM
As much as I wanted, and we all wanted Curry, it would have been an unnecessary pick. We are ok at LB for the next 2 years. We really, and I mean REALLY needed a DL. We have't really signed any F/A D-lineman.

AussieChiefsFan
05-01-2009, 01:46 AM
As much as I wanted, and we all wanted Curry, it would have been an unnecessary pick. We are ok at LB for the next 2 years. We really, and I mean REALLY needed a DL. We have't really signed any F/A D-lineman.:mob:

However, in hindsight I understand why the Chiefs went the route they did. Lets face it, Hali is not going to be a great Right DE. Its pretty obvious Jared Allen took a lot of heat off Hali and freed up blockers so he could get to the QB. I like McBride but he isnt developing into a player that will be a consistant. They needed to get a new DE and move Hali back to the left and have him compete with McBride for the starting job. The switch to 3-4 was also a deciding factor, the Chiefs need big physical DE's and they dont have them atm. Hopefully Jackson can provide that.

This is kind of out there, but, Dorsey is not doing well he needs some help, what better than a former teammate and roommate.

Lastly, back to the linebackers, they just paid quite a bit of money on two veteran LBs. Are they both not Inside Linebackers and wasnt Curry an inside linebacker? I think the Chiefs figured thay got at least 1 year with Thomas and probably 2-3 years with Vrabel. They are thinking getting a LB next year or the year after is ok and fix the line today.:bananen_smilies046: :bananen_smilies046:

pbatrucker
05-01-2009, 07:51 AM
I've gone back and forth with my opions the last few days. As much as I like Curry, Jackson is probally the best move. However this is my take on the rest of the draft.

1) Jackson- ok
2) Cassell, Vrabel, potentially great.
3)McGee- Jaron Gilbert, Antoine Caldweld were both available, we'll have to see which choice would have been better.
4)Jonhathan Luigs was available, we just picked up the player he replaced.
5)Jasper Brinkley' He was one of the top LB in the country before blowing out a knee in 2007, worked hard ,came back in 2008 and played at a high level. We all know the first year after knee surgery is not usually full speed.
6) Chris Baker. Might have been our NT for years, Denver picked him up as UDFA
7)Zack Follet -Another descent LB, someone else picked up.
As you can see, I have my reservations about some of the choices and how they filled our needs. Only time will tell what the best choices would have been.
:11:

honda522
05-01-2009, 10:05 AM
:mob:

:bananen_smilies046: :bananen_smilies046:
Calm Down Aussie. Look who we have at LB. Vrable, DJ, Bisel, Hali?, Zach Thomas and whoever.

Were good for 2 years. Yes, I really wanted Curry to, but we really needed a D-lineman. And I think it was a better move than people think.

Chiefster
05-01-2009, 12:13 PM
This is what I give each Pick:

Round #1 - I feel that our first pick was not thought through properly. Tyson Jackson is a good player and all but IMO we needed Aaron Curry a lot more. He was available but we didn't seize the moment! My grade for our first pick is "D-".

Round #3 - I unfortunately don't know all that much about Alex Magee so I'll give our 2nd round pick a grade of "C".

Round #4 - To be completely honest with you guys I am quite fond of Donald Washington. He is a good player in my eyes. The only problem is that IMO we don't really need a CB, we needed a safety, which I would have been happier to have drafted. My Grade for this pick is “B+”.

Round #5 – Colin Brown I think was an alright choice. We needed An Offensive Lineman and we got one. Although I think instead of Drafting Alex Magee, instead we should’ve drafted an O-Lineman then instead of in round 4. My grade for this pick is “B”.

Round #6 – Quinten Lawrence IMO was a bit unnecessary. I don’t see the point of drafting a Wide Receiver when we already have 9 others. And only recently we had 10 Wide Receivers! My grade for this pick is “C-”.

Round #7 – Personally I can’t actually make up my mind about Javarris Williams. Not for the how well he plays, but for the fact of “How much do we actually need him?”. If Larry Johnson gets cut, we will need a RB unless Jamaal Charles can become a star player. Personally I think he can, I like him as a player and he played very well in 2008 IMO. He is also my favorite rookie for 2008. My grade for this pick is “C+”.

Round #8 – Another Wide Receiver. My opinion on this pick is the same as the one on Round #5. My grade for this pick is “C-“

Round #9 – This pick was a surprise to me. I wasn’t expecting for us to draft a Kicker at all. It wasn’t an unpleasant one though. I DO hope he develops into a great kicker that can smash the ball for over 50 yards though! I don’t see what’s wrong with our current kicker though. My grade for this pick is “B”.

Well now you guys know what I think of this year’s NFL Draft. Can’t wait until the Pre-season commences!

:bananen_smilies046:

Hmmm, a 2.25 GPA.

AussieChiefsFan
05-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Hmmm, a 2.25 GPA.
GPA?

DT14PRIEST
05-02-2009, 12:42 AM
GPA?

Grade point average

AussieChiefsFan
05-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Grade point average
OK, thanks.:bananen_smilies046:

okikcfan
05-02-2009, 01:32 AM
I always think it's funny when we all judge and grade the picks. Granted, when Carl and Herm were picking we had good reason to, this year though, we have to trust the judgement of the new leadership. After hours and hours of watching tape of Curry and Jackson, Pioli made a choice he felt was best for the team. Myself, I can't wait to see the new crew in action and I have a very good feeling about this season....GO CHIEFS

chief31
05-02-2009, 02:50 AM
I always think it's funny when we all judge and grade the picks. Granted, when Carl and Herm were picking we had good reason to, this year though, we have to trust the judgement of the new leadership. After hours and hours of watching tape of Curry and Jackson, Pioli made a choice he felt was best for the team. Myself, I can't wait to see the new crew in action and I have a very good feeling about this season....GO CHIEFS

You trust. I'll continue to form opinions, no matter how funny that is to you.

Some of the moves I've really liked. Others, not so much.

The fact that Herm and Gunther won't be butting heads tells me that the defense will almost definitely improve. And with the defensive draft, it should improve alot.

The addition of Goff should improve the offense, along with Haley's high-powered passing offense.

There's plenty of things to be optimistic about. But there is still plenty to worry about too.

I'm seeing 8-8. A six game improvement over last season.

AussieChiefsFan
05-02-2009, 03:37 AM

The fact that Herm and Gunther won't be butting heads tells me that the defense will almost definitely improve. And with the defensive draft, it should improve alot.

The addition of Goff should improve the offense, along with Haley's high-powered passing offense.

There's plenty of things to be optimistic about. But there is still plenty to worry about too.

Same here. I loved it when we hired Todd Haley as head Coach and when Scott Pioli was hired for General Manager. What I didn't like and sometimes could've said that I hated it is, the trade of Tony Gonzalez and the Pick-up of Tyson Jackson (not that I have anything against him).

okikcfan
05-03-2009, 12:57 AM

Well I have to agree with you about the defense and I feel our offense will be much better also. I was just saying, we are fans, Pioli spends days or even weeks watching films of many different players and seeing he is the rebuilder, who would know more about whom would be a better fit for our team than him. Also, where as we may have some what of a slow start I see us doing better than an 8-8. :carrot:

NWA Chief
05-03-2009, 02:11 AM
does that mean that you guys that are saying 8-8 will call it a failure if we have a 4-12 season? i hope your expectations arent too high on a first time coach and gm. these guys are making changes but it will definitely take time. if you guys havent noticed, we have A LOT of new faces player and personnel wise. it will take more than a year to fix this. and i also think that our 4th rounder might be able to play safety. thats just a hope of mine, not saying i did hours of studies myself but it baffled me too when he was picked. they must have liked him alot because he had a little bit of trouble at ohio state also

Bike
05-03-2009, 08:34 AM
I always think it's funny when we all judge and grade the picks.
Why so funny? Isn't that what these forums are all about?

jmlamerson
05-03-2009, 10:36 AM
does that mean that you guys that are saying 8-8 will call it a failure if we have a 4-12 season? i hope your expectations arent too high on a first time coach and gm. these guys are making changes but it will definitely take time. if you guys havent noticed, we have A LOT of new faces player and personnel wise. it will take more than a year to fix this. and i also think that our 4th rounder might be able to play safety. thats just a hope of mine, not saying i did hours of studies myself but it baffled me too when he was picked. they must have liked him alot because he had a little bit of trouble at ohio state also

If we finish 4-12, the 2009 season will have been a failure. Simply because we could have stuck with the status quo (Herm/CP/Croyle/etc.) and still eked out 3-4 wins. We picked up vets like Vrabel, Engram, Goff and Thomas so that we would be competitive in 2009. Although this team is "rebuilding" to a large extent, this season won't be an extended tryout for our rookies like 2008 was.

Given the weakness of our division and some of our out-of-division opponents, six wins is the minimum we should accept from the team.

We drafted Washington, I think, because Pioli wanted a big, fast CB who could cover WRs one on one. Flowers and Carr don't have top-end speed. I don't see Washington as a safety, simply because he isn't a hard hitting guy like a 3-4 safety needs to be.

yashi
05-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I see what he's saying though. Our team, particular our defense, is going to be full of guys who have never played together, new coach, new defensive scheme. I think we will be competitive, but I don't think it's out of the question that our defense could still be pretty poor for a while until everyone gets the hang of things.

On offense, Cassel's having to learn a new (but somewhat similar) system in 6 months or so. He had 4 years to learn the Pats offense before he had to start a game.

I think 4-12 is pretty unlikely, as is making the playoffs, this year anyway. I would put money on us being somewhere in between.

jmlamerson
05-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I see what he's saying though. Our team, particular our defense, is going to be full of guys who have never played together, new coach, new defensive scheme. I think we will be competitive, but I don't think it's out of the question that our defense could still be pretty poor for a while until everyone gets the hang of things.

On offense, Cassel's having to learn a new (but somewhat similar) system in 6 months or so. He had 4 years to learn the Pats offense before he had to start a game.

I think 4-12 is pretty unlikely, as is making the playoffs, this year anyway. I would put money on us being somewhere in between.

I agree. A six-win season is acceptable. An eight win season would be great. Anything more than that would be gravy. I'm not going to declare the Haley/Pioli era a failure if we don't win six games, but I'll certainly say that they failed the fans in 2009.

But given that Denver has imploded, the Raiders are the Raiders, San Diego and us should split, and the Jags, Bills, Bengals, and Browns all have major problems, if we don't win six games, new personnel/schemes notwithstanding, it isn't a good year. We should beat bad teams and be competitive with good teams.

That being said, as we have better personnel across the board in 2009 as opposed to 2008 (except, *sob*, at TE) and better coaches, I expect us to hve a pretty good season, new schemes or not.

NWA Chief
05-03-2009, 12:22 PM
We were competitive last year, we just could not finish games. The thing is, we can't just build on last year because everything we ran scheme wise is changing. we have to find a new way to stay competitive and for pioli, thats putting really young guys up front on defense and letting the vets take care of the middle. as for the offense, i have little questions we can compete. haley's teams can move the ball. hope chan gailey and haley can work together to form a scheme of our O and their O from last year. it seems to baffle me how good LJ will be. If he will be the next edgerrin james or not. Defensively, we had to draft DE's because no one on our team was serviceable to play right now and compete at a high level. Will i call this year a failure if we get ran up and down all season, no because it takes time and unfortunately every fan wants to see us pull the dolphins or the falcons season next year. if we win 6 or 7, i will like it. it we win 4 or 5 but show a lot of potential i will STILL like it. Right now we have no person on defense that is the face of that D. We need a leader, or a captain and go from there. I see your point jmlamerson, those teams suck, honestly. but last year we lost to the bengals when they sucked. anything can happen, but we need to learn the final part of winning, which is in the 4th quarter.

Bike
05-03-2009, 12:45 PM
We were competitive last year, we just could not finish games. The thing is, we can't just build on last year because everything we ran scheme wise is changing. we have to find a new way to stay competitive and for pioli, thats putting really young guys up front on defense and letting the vets take care of the middle. as for the offense, i have little questions we can compete. haley's teams can move the ball. hope chan gailey and haley can work together to form a scheme of our O and their O from last year. it seems to baffle me how good LJ will be. If he will be the next edgerrin james or not. Defensively, we had to draft DE's because no one on our team was serviceable to play right now and compete at a high level. Will i call this year a failure if we get ran up and down all season, no because it takes time and unfortunately every fan wants to see us pull the dolphins or the falcons season next year. if we win 6 or 7, i will like it. it we win 4 or 5 but show a lot of potential i will STILL like it. Right now we have no person on defense that is the face of that D. We need a leader, or a captain and go from there. I see your point jmlamerson, those teams suck, honestly. but last year we lost to the bengals when they sucked. anything can happen, but we need to learn the final part of winning, which is in the 4th quarter.
Vrabel is qualified to take on that role.

NWA Chief
05-03-2009, 12:51 PM
is that all you got out of my whole post? yes vrable is a face we need but he wont be the one for the next 7 years. hes already 34, im talkin about a guy that plays lights out that we can look forward to every year. this is a first to have an experienced vet come in like this for us. I can't use Donnie Edwards because last year he did nothing.

Bike
05-03-2009, 12:58 PM
is that all you got out of my whole post? yes vrable is a face we need but he wont be the one for the next 7 years. hes already 34, im talkin about a guy that plays lights out that we can look forward to every year. this is a first to have an experienced vet come in like this for us. I can't use Donnie Edwards because last year he did nothing.
Well, thats all I felt compelled to respond to.
BTW, we ain't gonna rebuild this entire team in one season. Vrabel will work for a year or two.

jmlamerson
05-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Vrabel is qualified to take on that role.

I agree. Vrabel and Thomas will be expected to be our defensive leaders. Really, we are suddenly pretty good on defense. I think we have a solid young nucleus of Jackson, Magee, Dorsey (assuming he can make the transition to DE), Pollard, Carr, DJ (I think he'll be rejuvinated playing with real LBs in a real scheme again), and Flowers. We have good vets in Beisel, Thomas, and Vrabel.

I think we're a FS, LB (please, sign Foote), and a NT away from any real contention, but there's only so much you can do in one offseason.

If nothing else, our defense has improved for the first time since 2006.

EDIT: As for long term leader, watch Pollard step up this year. He should thrive in the 3-4.

jmlamerson
05-03-2009, 01:05 PM

I understand what you're saying. The thing is, I think we would have won five games last year if our HC wasn't completely incompetent (the two we won, plus the Bucs, Jets, and Chargers games). If we can't win more than that with upgraded personnel and a coach who is minimally competent (i.e. don't put Bowe in on onside recoveries until he stops dropping balls!), then I don't think we can call the season a success.

And as I stated above, I think you'll see Pollard thrive in the 3-4. Like Polamalu thrive.

Bike
05-03-2009, 01:08 PM
I agree. Vrabel and Thomas will be expected to be our defensive leaders. Really, we are suddenly pretty good on defense. I think we have a solid young nucleus of Jackson, Magee, Dorsey (assuming he can make the transition to DE), Pollard, Carr, DJ (I think he'll be rejuvinated playing with real LBs in a real scheme again), and Flowers. We have good vets in Beisel, Thomas, and Vrabel.

I think we're a FS, LB (please, sign Foote), and a NT away from any real contention, but there's only so much you can do in one offseason.

If nothing else, our defense has improved for the first time since 2006.

EDIT: As for long term leader, watch Pollard step up this year. He should thrive in the 3-4.
I really thought we should have found a replacement for Page THIS year. Hell, he can't get out of the way of his own teammates, is always out of position, and consistently misses tackles. Page needs to go.

Bike
05-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I understand what you're saying. The thing is, I think we would have won five games last year if our HC wasn't completely incompetent (the two we won, plus the Bucs, Jets, and Chargers games). If we can't win more than that with upgraded personnel and a coach who is minimally competent (i.e. don't put Bowe in on onside recoveries until he stops dropping balls!), then I don't think we can call the season a success.

And as I stated above, I think you'll see Pollard thrive in the 3-4. Like Polamalu thrive.
I hope you're right about Pollard. Maybe pair him up with Morgan.

jmlamerson
05-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I really thought we should have found a replacement for Page THIS year. Hell, he can't get out of the way of his own teammates, is always out of position, and consistently misses tackles. Page needs to go.

Yeah, Page is awful. He tries so hard to get the INT that he keeps giving up the big play. Not to mention that he can't tackle or figure out the schemes. He'd even be worse in the 3-4, where he'll be asked to hit and hit hard most down (Rodney Harrison, Chris Hope, etc.).

I understand why we didn't upgrade the position in FA or the draft. We had too many needs with our QB, OL, and front seven to worry about FS. Still, it is going to be a mess this year. You know, Rodney Harrison is a free agent . . .

I wouldn't be shocked to see Morgan or even (gulp) McGraw be our starter opening day over Page.

Bike
05-03-2009, 01:28 PM
And 2: Maybe DJ or TJ can turn into that lights out player you are referring to;
And 3: No, you can't use Donnie Edwards - because he's been released.:sign0104:

NWA Chief
05-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Noob??? are you kidding me? I stated I can't use Donnie Edwards as an experienced vet that could come in and help us out LAST YEAR, like everyone thought he could. Yes I know he has been cut, as a matter of fact, I would like to see what the coaches have as the starting 4 LB's. Everyone is guessing but I see alot of possibilities and im just confused on if Vrabel is one of our OLB's or ILB's. If hes an OLB then we should immediately pick up Foote. I dont think that is the case though, which makes it hard to figure out who is opposite DJ. Yes I hope Pollard becomes the face of our D. I dont see Tyson Jackson being it because he will make plays, but not necessarily tackles.....He'll open up tackles for the LB's and S's so he'll be the unsung kinda guy.

jmlamerson
05-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Noob??? are you kidding me? I stated I can't use Donnie Edwards as an experienced vet that could come in and help us out LAST YEAR, like everyone thought he could. Yes I know he has been cut, as a matter of fact, I would like to see what the coaches have as the starting 4 LB's. Everyone is guessing but I see alot of possibilities and im just confused on if Vrabel is one of our OLB's or ILB's. If hes an OLB then we should immediately pick up Foote. I dont think that is the case though, which makes it hard to figure out who is opposite DJ. Yes I hope Pollard becomes the face of our D. I dont see Tyson Jackson being it because he will make plays, but not necessarily tackles.....He'll open up tackles for the LB's and S's so he'll be the unsung kinda guy.

Vrabel is an OLB.

Zach Thomas is an ILB.

Monty Beisel is an ILB.

DJ and DeMorrio Williams will probably shift between ILB and OLB.

If we sign Foote, he will be an ILB. Our starters will be DJ/Foote/Thomas/Vrabel.

pbatrucker
05-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Personally I'm hoping Dj has a breakout year. He's been disappointing so far in his career. maybe under this new system he can excel.

okikcfan
05-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Jeeez, did you all wet the bed last nite? "I think it's funny" is kinda a phrase, I'm so sorry for offending anybody. So of the older talent were brought in not only to play football but to teach it as well, to give leadership to the younger members. After this season is over Pioli will have a much better feel for the team as a whole, he will know who's gonna make it and who's not, the draft will be much different then it was this year. Some of the people that Pioli brought in were very good in there day and that's just some of the knowlage he wants passed on. Not everyone will like his picks and he won't care, it's what they do when there time comes that matters. He is where he is for a reason, so yea, we have to trust him untill he gives us a reason not to.

pbatrucker
05-04-2009, 03:21 AM
Jeeez, did you all wet the bed last nite? "I think it's funny" is kinda a phrase, I'm so sorry for offending anybody. So of the older talent were brought in not only to play football but to teach it as well, to give leadership to the younger members. After this season is over Pioli will have a much better feel for the team as a whole, he will know who's gonna make it and who's not, the draft will be much different then it was this year. Some of the people that Pioli brought in were very good in there day and that's just some of the knowlage he wants passed on. Not everyone will like his picks and he won't care, it's what they do when there time comes that matters. He is where he is for a reason, so yea, we have to trust him untill he gives us a reason not to.
Well saikd!!!