PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sign C Eric Ghiaciuc!

honda522
04-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Chiefs sign center Ghiaciuc - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1172094.html)

What do you think, good pick up?

That means Rudy can move to RT or RG and we should have a soild and stable OL.

yashi
04-30-2009, 10:36 PM
I saw this earlier... personally I'm not a big fan. Ghiaciuc was one of the worst starting centers in the league the past few years, and I could be wrong but he seems about equal to Niswanger.

ESPN Scouting Report:
Ghiaciuc is an intelligent pivot man with marginal size and strength. He is quick off the ball and competes to the whistle. His lack of power and bulk will always be a drawback, especially in the AFC North, which is loaded with powerful nose tackle types. He is an above-average athlete for the center position and shows natural knee bend. Ghiaciuc does a nice job blocking at the second level and getting downfield, where his athleticism stands out. He runs well and can change directions in space without looking awkward. His technique, blocking angles and feel for the game are all strengths to his game. He can recover when initially beaten. Ghiaciuc isn't a player to run behind in short-yardage situations and will not consistently blow his opponent off the ball. While he should continue to get stronger, he is incapable of out-muscling his opponent or pressing bigger defensive tackles off his body. He isn't a mauler and is more of a technician. He is inconsistent to anchor effectively versus interior power rushers and needs to increase his haunch power. Ghiaciuc is an okay starting pivot, but often needs help getting movement in the run game from his teammates and his lack of bulk and power will always hinder his effectiveness.

tornadospotter
04-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Interesting, indeed.

jtandcrew
05-01-2009, 12:53 AM
I say its a good pick up. Either Niswanger will get better or he will sit! I was impressed with Niswanger last year after learning a new role. I agree signing this guy gives alot more freedom for coaches to move players.

pbatrucker
05-01-2009, 01:05 AM
It was a good signing. We had hardly any depth at the C position. Luigs was available in the fourth round of the draft and would have been a much better choicee for our team.
:11:

jap1
05-01-2009, 01:59 AM
I saw this earlier... personally I'm not a big fan. Ghiaciuc was one of the worst starting centers in the league the past few years, and I could be wrong but he seems about equal to Niswanger.

ESPN Scouting Report:
Ghiaciuc is an intelligent pivot man with marginal size and strength. He is quick off the ball and competes to the whistle. His lack of power and bulk will always be a drawback, especially in the AFC North, which is loaded with powerful nose tackle types. He is an above-average athlete for the center position and shows natural knee bend. Ghiaciuc does a nice job blocking at the second level and getting downfield, where his athleticism stands out. He runs well and can change directions in space without looking awkward. His technique, blocking angles and feel for the game are all strengths to his game. He can recover when initially beaten. Ghiaciuc isn't a player to run behind in short-yardage situations and will not consistently blow his opponent off the ball. While he should continue to get stronger, he is incapable of out-muscling his opponent or pressing bigger defensive tackles off his body. He isn't a mauler and is more of a technician. He is inconsistent to anchor effectively versus interior power rushers and needs to increase his haunch power. Ghiaciuc is an okay starting pivot, but often needs help getting movement in the run game from his teammates and his lack of bulk and power will always hinder his effectiveness.

He should only be here for depth at the position. Our biggest problems running last year was in short yardage, which apparently is this guy's weakness.

But maybe this gives us leverage against Waters for a trade ...

dbolan
05-01-2009, 09:41 AM
If I am not mistaken, we had problems in short yardage last year. So, why sign an OL that is weaker in that position? Hmmmm...

honda522
05-01-2009, 10:00 AM
First of all, why would you listen to what ESPN has to say about a team or player that is not on the Pats, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Colts, or Pittsburgh?

Second of all with the right training, he can learn to be awesome. Rememeber there was a time when Tony G sucked at blocking, but he took the time to learn and got great at it.

yashi
05-01-2009, 10:11 AM
First of all, why would you listen to what ESPN has to say about a team or player that is not on the Pats, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Colts, or Pittsburgh?

Second of all with the right training, he can learn to be awesome. Rememeber there was a time when Tony G sucked at blocking, but he took the time to learn and got great at it.

The actually scouting is done by Scouts Inc., not ESPN. They scouted 2400 NFL players, not just players on prolific teams. Also, just by reading it you can tell whoever scouted the guy knows what they're talking about and understands the nuances of an offensive lineman.

I'm not going to argue with you. I just don't personally see him as an upgrade over Niswanger, that's all.

chiefnut
05-01-2009, 10:19 AM
hey, ya gotta root for rudy. Rudy makes a great chant Ruuuuuuuuudee! Ruuuuuuuuudee! and even the last name nice-wanger should be alot of fun. but seriously he was making solid progress before his injury. "Ghiaciuc" is a tongue tied accident waiting to happen. it does sound like he may make a decent pulling guard however.

jmlamerson
05-01-2009, 10:41 AM
I have to think this is just a move made for depth. I would guess that we open the season (if we don't sign anyone else) with Goff at C and Niswanger at RG, with Ghiaciuc as a reserve.

Chiefster
05-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Heck, I don't know!

VonBlade
05-01-2009, 04:02 PM
WHO-DEY!!

Erm, yeah hi. Bengals fan here. Heard you've got Ghiacuc.

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. He's abysmal. Awful. Terrible. Hopeless. And other terms of hatred.

In case you wonder how terribly devastated Bengaldom is about this, here is a thread (http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=48289) on the unofficial Bengal forum.

Needless to say, the opening picture is as kind as it gets.

Sorry to hear of your gain :(
VB

pbatrucker
05-01-2009, 04:25 PM
WHO-DEY!!

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. He's abysmal. Awful. Terrible. Hopeless. And other terms of hatred.

In case you wonder how terribly devastated Bengaldom is about this, here is a thread (http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=48289) on the unofficial Bengal forum.

VB
Think this guy sucks or something!!!!
:11:

DT14PRIEST
05-01-2009, 05:38 PM
hey, ya gotta root for rudy. Rudy makes a great chant Ruuuuuuuuudee! Ruuuuuuuuudee! and even the last name nice-wanger should be alot of fun.

Haha I need a nice-wanger jersey

honda522
05-01-2009, 09:35 PM
WHO-DEY!!

VB

One mans trash, another mans treasure.

Three7s
05-01-2009, 10:37 PM
This guy is just plain awful, if he plays AT ALL, then you can count on him giving up at least a sack per game.

northwest
05-04-2009, 07:49 PM
maybe this pick up was extra motivation for our already below average C.

N TX Dave
05-04-2009, 08:06 PM
One mans trash, another mans treasure.

Yes didn't the Bengals loose thier defensive line to Denver about 3 or 4 years ago and they were not too bad?

honda522
05-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes didn't the Bengals loose thier defensive line to Denver about 3 or 4 years ago and they were not too bad?
But Denver is always bad soo.....