PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs QB Brodie Croyle Outshined By Damon Huard

Sweets
08-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Source: Jason King, Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/219152.html)

Damon Huard had a much better night in the Chiefs' scrimmage Sunday than Brodie Croyle as the two players battled to become the starting quarterback. Huard threw the most impressive pass of the practice, a 21-yard touchdown pass to Tony Gonzalez. Croyle struggled. He had one pass intercepted by Heath Farwell, a reserve linebacker. Farwell should have intercepted a second Croyle pass, but he dropped it instead. On another play, Croyle had rookie wide receiver Maurice Price open, but threw a bad pass and an incompletion. Sports Illustrated's Peter King mentioned how shaky Croyle looked, throwing multiple interceptions. Croyle did better earlier in the sessions to be fair. Huard is going to have to out-play Croyle by a wide margin in the preseason to win the starting job.

sling58
08-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Damon has been the guy I have been rooting for all along

m0ef0e
08-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Source: Jason King, Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/219152.html)

Damon Huard had a much better night in the Chiefs' scrimmage Sunday than Brodie Croyle as the two players battled to become the starting quarterback. Huard threw the most impressive pass of the practice, a 21-yard touchdown pass to Tony Gonzalez. Croyle struggled. He had one pass intercepted by Heath Farwell, a reserve linebacker. Farwell should have intercepted a second Croyle pass, but he dropped it instead. On another play, Croyle had rookie wide receiver Maurice Price open, but threw a bad pass and an incompletion. Sports Illustrated's Peter King mentioned how shaky Croyle looked, throwing multiple interceptions. Croyle did better earlier in the sessions to be fair. Huard is going to have to out-play Croyle by a wide margin in the preseason to win the starting job.

I know, I know. Croyle's supposed to be our future but this hardly seems fair.

Why... WHY???-- Do the Chiefs always have to mess around with keeping their most capable players on the bench??? As an organization and coaching staff they have a RESPONSIBILITY to put the best players on the field to give us a chance to win. If this is not happening, they are not reaching the basic expectations associated with thier job -- much less excelling at it. I've seen this so many times with the Chiefs, I can't remember what year it is now! All the years I have watched football tend to mesh together after seeing the exact same damn scenario over and over again.

If Huard is playing better, he gives us a better chance to win. If he is playing better, Huard wins the job. Period. I'm trying to stay optimistic about this season but I'm really effin tired of seeing my team bench our best guy!

luv
08-06-2007, 02:18 PM
I know, I know. Croyle's supposed to be our future but this hardly seems fair.

Why... WHY???-- Do the Chiefs always have to mess around with keeping their most capable players on the bench??? As an organization and coaching staff they have a RESPONSIBILITY to put the best players on the field to give us a chance to win. If this is not happening, they are not reaching the basic expectations associated with thier job -- much less excelling at it. I've seen this so many times with the Chiefs, I can't remember what year it is now! All the years I have watched football tend to mesh together after seeing the exact same damn scenario over and over again.

If Huard is playing better, he gives us a better chance to win. If he is playing better, Huard wins the job. Period. I'm trying to stay optimistic about this season but I'm really effin tired of seeing my team bench our best guy!
Why...WHY would you bench someone who's playing better? Just out of loyalty? Huard is a backup. That's what he was last year. He did what he needed to as that. If Croyle is outplaying Huard, and he's our QBOTF, then why are you so against starting him. You say we're benching the most capable player. How do you know that when you've never seen Croyle play?

sling58
08-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Why...WHY would you bench someone who's playing better? Just out of loyalty? Huard is a backup. That's what he was last year. He did what he needed to as that. If Croyle is outplaying Huard, and he's our QBOTF, then why are you so against starting him. You say we're benching the most capable player. How do you know that when you've never seen Croyle play?

Nice point.

Chiefster
08-06-2007, 02:46 PM

Saved by the bell curve.

m0ef0e
08-06-2007, 04:17 PM

Did you read the original post? Huard is outperforming Croyle... I don't care WHO it is, just PLEASE put the best guy on the field. If Croyle is going to throw a bunch of picks, I don't want to see him "play". Same goes for Huard. I just want the best guy on the field that gives us the best chance to win. That's all, and if this is not happening, then the coaches are not doing their jobs. If Croyle is crappy in the preseason, what reason do we have to think that he will do better in the regular season when the gameplay speeds up and intensifies in terms of pressure and difficulty?? If he needs more time to develop, fine. Let him develop and learn on the bench again. I'm not making a case that Huard is better. I'm saying put the guy on the field who wins the job, period. For us to think we need to start Croyle this season because he is the 'future' is lunacy, imo. So many franchises have started mediocre players over good ones because they don't want to look like they drafted the wrong guy. Especailly with QB's (look at the Cleveland Browns over the last 15 years or so). I've seen this scenario with KC QB's so many times... Nevermind. It's just old and I'm tired of throwing playoff games away because we feel like we have some kind of obligation to a guy thats through, that's all. The ONLY difference between this year's "QB controversy" and the prior ones of the last decade is the season hasn't started yet.

sling58
08-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Did you read the original post? Huard is outperforming Croyle... I don't care WHO it is, just PLEASE put the best guy on the field. If Croyle is going to throw a bunch of picks, I don't want to see him "play". Same goes for Huard. I just want the best guy on the field that gives us the best chance to win. That's all, and if this is not happening, then the coaches are not doing their jobs. If Croyle is crappy in the preseason, what reason do we have to think that he will do better in the regular season when the gameplay speeds up and intensifies in terms of pressure and difficulty?? If he needs more time to develop, fine. Let him develop and learn on the bench again. I'm not making a case that Huard is better. I'm saying put the guy on the field who wins the job, period. For us to think we need to start Croyle this season because he is the 'future' is lunacy, imo. So many franchises have started mediocre players over good ones because they don't want to look like they drafted the wrong guy. Especailly with QB's (look at the Cleveland Browns over the last 15 years or so). I've seen this scenario with KC QB's so many times... Nevermind. It's just old and I'm tired of throwing playoff games away because we feel like we have some kind of obligation to a guy thats through, that's all. The ONLY difference between this year's "QB controversy" and the prior ones of the last decade is the season hasn't started yet.

Well put!

Guru
08-06-2007, 04:40 PM

We have had other QB controversies since the Grbac/Gannon debacle?

m0ef0e
08-06-2007, 04:43 PM
We have had other QB controversies since the Grbac/Gannon debacle?

Last year. I know I'm not alone in thinking that Huard should have at least gotten a shot in the second half of the playoff game against the colts. Especially after the 3 bad games and miserable performance Trent put on in the first half. (I know it was the entire offense not just one guy but cmon.... I like Trent but he killed us last year!)

Guru
08-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Last year. I know I'm not alone in thinking that Huard should have at least gotten a shot in the second half of the playoff game against the colts. Especially after the 3 bad games and miserable performance Trent put on in the first half. (I know it was the entire offense not just one guy but cmon.... I like Trent but he killed us last year!)

To me, last year was not a controversy but a completely STUPID coach. He made a bad decision 4 weeks in a row.

At least Marty only did it once. Both cost us one playoff game.

m0ef0e
08-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I agree, but every time any QB starting job in the NFL is in question (by fans or coaches), it is automatically labeled as "controversy". Not saying it is neccesarily the correct label, but it existed last year nonetheless. The fans saw the light but the coach didn't. Stupid coach? Yes. Controversy? By media standards, I would say yes.

Guru
08-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I agree, but every time any QB starting job in the NFL is in question (by fans or coaches), it is automatically labeled as "controversy". Not saying it is neccesarily the correct label, but it existed last year nonetheless. The fans saw the light but the coach didn't. Stupid coach? Yes. Controversy? By media standards, I would say yes.

Everything is a controversy by media standards. See :fatlock:.

None of it compares to Gannon Gate though.

m0ef0e
08-06-2007, 05:06 PM
True. Not starting Gannon had to be one of the greatest coach/GM blunders of all-time, imo. We don't give him a fair shake and he goes to the Faders to break records and play a superbowl....

Way to go, Carl......................n00b

Guru
08-06-2007, 05:08 PM
True. Not starting Gannon had to be one of the greatest coach/GM blunders of all-time, imo. We don't give him a fair shake and he goes to the Faders to break records and play a superbowl....

Way to go, Carl......................n00b

don't forget....

League MVP and Pro Bowl starter.

Good move there Marty.

sling58
08-06-2007, 05:10 PM
don't forget....

Good move there Marty.

Yea someone dropped the ball that year

m0ef0e
08-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh, yeah. Thanks for exposing it to be as truly ignorant as it was. The combo of that circus with last year is why I get so fired up when people say we should start this guy or that guy based on ANY reason other than their performance on the field.

Chiefster
08-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Nice point.

Well put!

You're quickly replacing me as the less filling - taste great guy.:lol:

DrunkHillbilly
08-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Not to be a thorn here but I hardly doubt Brodie Croyle is going to be the QB of the future. I know they drafted him to be but he was hardly a top tier QB in college and I expect the same in his NFL career. If the Chiefs go through a few bad years and get a decent draft position, it wouldn't surprise me if they took a QB if there were one that was a stud. Now obviously they need to sure up the O line but I don't think they think Croyle is the saviour nor do I. He may be another Frye or Couch in a few years.

Chiefster
08-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Everything is a controversy by media standards. See :fatlock:.

None of it compares to Gannon Gate though.

I would say that the guy drinks too much of his own bath water but he probably bathes in KC Masterpiece.

Chiefster
08-06-2007, 07:41 PM
don't forget....

Good move there Marty.

Meh! Herm is just following in the footsteps of his mentor, and over achieving.

m0ef0e
08-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Not to be a thorn here but I hardly doubt Brodie Croyle is going to be the QB of the future. I know they drafted him to be but he was hardly a top tier QB in college and I expect the same in his NFL career. If the Chiefs go through a few bad years and get a decent draft position, it wouldn't surprise me if they took a QB if there were one that was a stud. Now obviously they need to sure up the O line but I don't think they think Croyle is the saviour nor do I. He may be another Frye or Couch in a few years.

Excellent post. :sign0098:

m0ef0e
08-06-2007, 08:46 PM
I would say that the guy drinks too much of his own bath water but he probably bathes in KC Masterpiece.

:lol: :lol:

luv
08-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Even if he was a stud, no one would want to start him. Always the case. We'll never develop a QB. We'll keep trading in hopes of finding one. Quite disappointing.

Chiefster
08-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Even if he was a stud, no one would want to start him. Always the case. We'll never develop a QB. We'll keep trading in hopes of finding one. Quite disappointing.

I gotta agree; tryin to find a quick fix for the here and now and never thinking long term.

Guru
08-07-2007, 12:07 AM

Never know.... He could be the next Tom Brady too. If we never take that chance, we will never know.

Chiefster
08-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Never know.... He could be the next Tom Brady too. If we never take that chance, we will never know.

Ditto!!