PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

Vanilla Garilla
05-06-2009, 01:01 AM
I just thought we should have a new thread for Windows 7, seeing as it has nothing to do with Linux.
If you guys need any tips feel free to ask, I have been using Windows 7 since January, and have grown very accustom to it. Some helpful tips/hints to get you started:

#1...STOP USING DESKTOP... It is no longer needed with Windows 7, you can simply pin your most used/favorite programs to the taskbar at the bottom now. That means you dont have to close windows or press the start button to get to the program you want.

#2....When your looking to do ANYTHING at all on your computer, the easiest way minus the taskbar is to press the windows button, and simply type any thing your looking to do in the search box at the bottom. this is the best feature in my opinion. For example if you want to burn a dvd but dont want to go through all the hassle all you have to do is simply>press windows button>type dvd, and its the first thing that comes up.

#3.....Virtual Sticky Notes on your desktop rules, and Gadgets can go anywhere now, not just on a stupid sidebar.

AussieChiefsFan
05-06-2009, 01:12 AM
I told my dad about Windows 7 when I found out about it abouut 4 weeks ago and he said we might be getting it. I hope we do, it looks really good to use. Better than vista ofcourse and maybe evan better than XP. XP has been the most popular for many years, let's see if Windows 7 can overtake it.

Chiefster
05-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Outstanding VG!

Rep!

AussieChiefsFan
05-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Outstanding VG!

Rep!
I'll second that! :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
05-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Anyone using the 64 bit version?

Vanilla Garilla
05-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Anyone using the 64 bit version?

Thanks for the rep fellows, I will share the love:bananen_smilies046:

I am indeed using the 64 bit version because it is as fast as Otis Nixon....I don't use the 64 bit internet explorer though because almost no websites function well with it.

AussieChiefsFan
05-06-2009, 01:41 AM

I am indeed using the 64 bit version because it is as fast as Otis Nixon....I don't use the 64 bit internet explorer though because almost no websites function well with it.Including the chiefscorwd?

Vanilla Garilla
05-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Including the chiefscorwd?

Actually its been updated since the beta, it works quite well now. I still prefer Firefox over everything though.

AussieChiefsFan
05-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Actually its been updated since the beta, it works quite well now. I still prefer Firefox over everything though.
I stopped using firefox becasue the window (page in browser) starts bouncing after about 10 seconds of using it.

Chiefster
05-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Using Windows 7 now and so far is working great, with the exception of some printer issues!

Vanilla Garilla
05-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Using Windows 7 now and so far is working great, with the exception of some printer issues!

Thats good, kinda strange about the printer issues though! I haven't had a compatibility problem with hardware what so ever, but I do not have a whole hell of a lot hooked up either.

How you like the user friendliness of 7 compared to Vista Chiefster?

Vanilla Garilla
05-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I stopped using firefox becasue the window (page in browser) starts bouncing after about 10 seconds of using it.

Thats extremely strange Aussie, Ive never heard of that. I have found Firefox to be the most stable, reliable browser yet. Another option for you might be to use Wyzo, it is also very good.

AussieChiefsFan
05-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Thats extremely strange Aussie, Ive never heard of that. I have found Firefox to be the most stable, reliable browser yet. Another option for you might be to use Wyzo, it is also very good.
I think I'll keep using Google chrome and IE8 ATM. Another weird thing is that the whole reason I actually use IE8 is because when I use chiefscrowd.com in Google chrome it make the browser crash, and the chiefscrowd.com is the website I visit the most! But yeah, I'll have a look at "Wyzo" over the weekend (just finished school [it's friday]). :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
05-08-2009, 02:05 AM
Thats good, kinda strange about the printer issues though! I haven't had a compatibility problem with hardware what so ever, but I do not have a whole hell of a lot hooked up either.

How you like the user friendliness of 7 compared to Vista Chiefster?

I got the printer issue resolved; I didn't do a clean install it allowed me to do an upgrade so I didn't have to re-install any of my software/drivers, but for some reason the printer driver got corrupted so I just uninstalled the software and reinstalled it and it works great now. As far as the user friendliness goes: its awesome, but to tell the truth it, to me, is only marginally better then Vista with SP1. However, like I said it's awesome I really like do like it, but not so much that I couldn't live without it. JMHO.

Chiefster
05-08-2009, 02:08 AM

Same here, I particularly like the way it picks up all my misspellings; something IE has yet to incorporate.

Vanilla Garilla
05-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I got the printer issue resolved; I didn't do a clean install it allowed me to do an upgrade so I didn't have to re-install any of my software/drivers, but for some reason the printer driver got corrupted so I just uninstalled the software and reinstalled it and it works great now. As far as the user friendliness goes: its awesome, but to tell the truth it, to me, is only marginally better then Vista with SP1. However, like I said it's awesome I really like do like it, but not so much that I couldn't live without it. JMHO.

Lucky you getting to do an upgrade, I had to do a clean install each time (2x) and it is a pain transferring everything. My drivers were easy with windows 7 though, because it just searched and updated them automatically. IMO Windows 7 is what Vista was supposed to be, or what it was envisioned to be, just was not reached. I think they did it right this time, and customers should be happy. Oh and I wasn't sold on it from the gate either, took me a little bit, and what sold me was when my laptop was in for prepare, and I had to go back to Vista.:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
05-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Lucky you getting to do an upgrade, I had to do a clean install each time (2x) and it is a pain transferring everything. My drivers were easy with windows 7 though, because it just searched and updated them automatically. IMO Windows 7 is what Vista was supposed to be, or what it was envisioned to be, just was not reached. I think they did it right this time, and customers should be happy. Oh and I wasn't sold on it from the gate either, took me a little bit, and what sold me was when my laptop was in for prepare, and I had to go back to Vista.:bananen_smilies046:

Yeah, I was real surprised that I was able to do the upgrade, it made it a lot easier. I agree with your assessment though, it is what Vista should have been.

hermhater
05-09-2009, 01:12 AM
The latest version of 7 has an XP virtual machine built in.

I still haven't installed it yet, but have heard great things.

Chiefster
05-09-2009, 01:16 AM

I am indeed using the 64 bit version because it is as fast as Otis Nixon....I don't use the 64 bit internet explorer though because almost no websites function well with it.

I wish I had the PC inerds to run 64 bits! :D

Chiefster
05-09-2009, 01:18 AM
The latest version of 7 has an XP virtual machine built in.

I still haven't installed it yet, but have heard great things.

I read something about that as well, I'll have to check it out.

Vanilla Garilla
05-09-2009, 01:39 AM
I wish I had the PC inerds to run 64 bits! :D

I finally got the 64 bit capability last year, after hearing this brit from work tell me over and over how smoother it was. i didn't believe him at first, but it truly makes an operating system much better.

Chiefster
05-09-2009, 02:14 AM
I finally got the 64 bit capability last year, after hearing this brit from work tell me over and over how smoother it was. i didn't believe him at first, but it truly makes an operating system much better.

Oh yeah dude, at least twice as better. :D

Chiefster
05-11-2009, 04:42 PM
The first documented bug in the Windows 7 Release Candidate (build 7100) is a doozy.
Yesterday, Microsoft published Knowledge Base article 970789 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970789), which provides details of a problem that affects the 32-bit (x86) English-language version of Windows 7 build 7100. The problem, in short, is that the installer incorrectly sets access control lists (ACLs) on the root of the system drive. The longer version is described as follows:...

Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report mobile edition (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1003&tag=nl.e539)

Vanilla Garilla
05-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report mobile edition (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1003&tag=nl.e539)

Yeah I read this somewhere, mine didn't update so 64 bit systems must not have been affected. Did it affect yours Chiefster?

Chiefster
05-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah I read this somewhere, mine didn't update so 64 bit systems must not have been affected. Did it affect yours Chiefster?

No actually it installed correctly for me; I was unaffected by the bug. I got lucky.

Yeah, 64 bit systems are unaffected by this bug.

Guru
05-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Well, I have ended up with one minor problem with Windows 7. Kodak printers won't work worth a darn for it. Kodak said they won't release a new driver set until Win7 goes live so Kodak customers are screwed. Not Microsofts fault though. Kodak is the same company that refuses to make drivers for Linux as well.

Chiefster
05-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Well, I have ended up with one minor problem with Windows 7. Kodak printers won't work worth a darn for it. Kodak said they won't release a new driver set until Win7 goes live so Kodak customers are screwed. Not Microsofts fault though. Kodak is the same company that refuses to make drivers for Linux as well.

Man, that sucks!

I think it's stupid not to go ahead and release a driver for this OS.

Vanilla Garilla
05-12-2009, 12:48 AM

Yeah that's crap. They know Win7 is coming, so why not release some drivers, and all in all it should be an easy fix. Another reason why I will always choose HP for printers.

Guru
05-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Yeah that's crap. They know Win7 is coming, so why not release some drivers, and all in all it should be an easy fix. Another reason why I will always choose HP for printers.
The only reason I even purchased it was for the affordable Wifi functionality. The ink is cheaply priced but also doesn't last near as long as what the overpriced HP cartridges do. Probably a wash on ink I guess. Hp didn't have any reasonably priced Wifi printers at the time though. Too late to change it now I guess.

Vanilla Garilla
05-12-2009, 10:16 AM
The only reason I even purchased it was for the affordable Wifi functionality. The ink is cheaply priced but also doesn't last near as long as what the overpriced HP cartridges do. Probably a wash on ink I guess. Hp didn't have any reasonably priced Wifi printers at the time though. Too late to change it now I guess.

I know that's right, I looked everywhere for a decent priced one and couldn't find one anywhere. I ended up getting the standard non wifi one and just taking my laptop over there each time I wanted to use it.

Just curious how much ink is for the Kodak, I have been getting two multicolor packs for 24.99, and too me thats reasonable. I get two blacks for 19.99, which isnt bad either. I dont print a whole hell of a lot, so i only need ink 3-4 times a year.

Guru
05-12-2009, 11:56 PM
I know that's right, I looked everywhere for a decent priced one and couldn't find one anywhere. I ended up getting the standard non wifi one and just taking my laptop over there each time I wanted to use it.

Just curious how much ink is for the Kodak, I have been getting two multicolor packs for 24.99, and too me thats reasonable. I get two blacks for 19.99, which isnt bad either. I dont print a whole hell of a lot, so i only need ink 3-4 times a year.
With HP? Where are you getting that deal and what type of cartridges are you using? HP has two severely different types.

Kodak is 9.99 for black and 14.99 for color.

Chiefster
05-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Another thing that I've noticed with "7" is that it does not network very well with other Windows OSs. In fact, I have been unable to network it with any of the machines I have running XP. I was, however, successfully able to network it with my wife's laptop running Vista, but that, I'm guessing, is because the two are virtually the same; "7" is Vista on steriods.

AussieChiefsFan
05-13-2009, 03:22 AM
Another thing that I've noticed with "7" is that it does not network very well with other Windows OSs. In fact, I have been unable to network it with any of the machines I have running XP. I was, however, successfully able to network it with my wife's laptop running Vista, but that, I'm guessing, is because the two are virtually the same; "7" is Vista on steriods.
Does that still mean that it's better?

Vanilla Garilla
05-13-2009, 09:56 AM

I am currently networked to my XP old schoold desktop and my Xbox 360 without a prob. Its great to stream movies and music to my living room via the xbox 360. The only thing i had to do was turn on network discovery.

Vanilla Garilla
05-13-2009, 09:59 AM
With HP? Where are you getting that deal and what type of cartridges are you using? HP has two severely different types.

Kodak is 9.99 for black and 14.99 for color.

Right here bud:

Buy HP Deskjet F4140 All-in-One ink and paper from HP® Official Store (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/supplies_model.do?model_name=HP%20Deskjet%20F4140% 20All-in-One)

They also offer free next day shipping on all items. So if I order my ink today, it will be here tomorrow afternoon.

Kodak had a good price for its ink as well...

Chiefster
05-13-2009, 10:36 AM
I am currently networked to my XP old schoold desktop and my Xbox 360 without a prob. Its great to stream movies and music to my living room via the xbox 360. The only thing i had to do was turn on network discovery.

Ok, I'll try it again.

Vanilla Garilla
05-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Well Microsoft has already come out and said that Windows 7 will ship before 2010. To me that's great, since the RC lasts 6 months after that fact. I will buy it regardless though, hopefully its going to be reasonably priced.

Chiefster
05-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Well Microsoft has already come out and said that Windows 7 will ship before 2010. To me that's great, since the RC lasts 6 months after that fact. I will buy it regardless though, hopefully its going to be reasonably priced.

Don't hold your breath.

Chiefster
05-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Still having networking problems for some reason.

Guru
05-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Right here bud:

Buy HP Deskjet F4140 All-in-One ink and paper from HP® Official Store (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/supplies_model.do?model_name=HP%20Deskjet%20F4140% 20All-in-One)

They also offer free next day shipping on all items. So if I order my ink today, it will be here tomorrow afternoon.

Kodak had a good price for its ink as well...Thats what I thought. Here is what MY HP ink costs me...

Buy PSC 750 ink and paper from HP® Official Store (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/supplies_model.do?model_name=PSC%20750)

Chiefster
05-14-2009, 12:08 AM
For some reason when I go to map a network drive it will list the computer in the network in the browser window but states that it cannot access the computer listed.

Vanilla Garilla
05-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Thats what I thought. Here is what MY HP ink costs me...

Buy PSC 750 ink and paper from HP® Official Store (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/supplies_model.do?model_name=PSC%20750)

OUCH!!!

Vanilla Garilla
05-14-2009, 12:15 AM
For some reason when I go to map a network drive it will list the computer in the network in the browser window but states that it cannot access the computer listed.

Are all the devices on the network listed on the Homegroup? I know that makes a difference in whether or not sharing is allowed.

Guru
05-14-2009, 12:16 AM
OUCH!!!
Yep. Hence why I jumped to Kodak. Knowing what I know now though, I probably should have just stuck with my printer. I was able to get decent priced ink for it on Ebay. I just really wanted to get back to name brand ink. We purchased our Kodak in December and the ink is out already. I don't think we printer more than 100 pages in that time. The HP ink I purchased under the same usage pattern would last over a year.

Chiefster
05-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Are all the devices on the network listed on the Homegroup? I know that makes a difference in whether or not sharing is allowed.

I thought so, I'll double check.

Chiefster
05-14-2009, 12:19 AM
...All looks kosher.

Chiefster
05-14-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm networked through a wireless router; perhaps I need to adjust settings there. Don't know how much messing around with those settings I really want to do though.

Chiefster
05-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Yep. Hence why I jumped to Kodak. Knowing what I know now though, I probably should have just stuck with my printer. I was able to get decent priced ink for it on Ebay. I just really wanted to get back to name brand ink. We purchased our Kodak in December and the ink is out already. I don't think we printer more than 100 pages in that time. The HP ink I purchased under the same usage pattern would last over a year.

I use a lexmark all-in-one which has excellent print quality, but I don't get near ink usage you got out of your HP.

Vanilla Garilla
05-14-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm networked through a wireless router; perhaps I need to adjust settings there. Don't know how much messing around with those settings I really want to do though.

So is it that you cant share any files among your computers all together? I know Ive had plenty of networking problems throughout my life, and It seems as if I search the internet for the problem for weeks and finally find what it is. But I really don't know whats going on with yours, if you were able to share before you installed Windows 7, then its something in the options. I can capture a screenshot of mine if you think it will help.

Chiefster
05-14-2009, 12:18 PM
So is it that you cant share any files among your computers all together? I know Ive had plenty of networking problems throughout my life, and It seems as if I search the internet for the problem for weeks and finally find what it is. But I really don't know whats going on with yours, if you were able to share before you installed Windows 7, then its something in the options. I can capture a screenshot of mine if you think it will help.

Yeah, before I was able to access the HD of each computer within my network, but I networked them together in order to share the printer. A screen shot would be great, thanks.

Chiefster
05-14-2009, 12:19 PM
I am able to share files with my wife's laptop running Vista, but not with my spare PC running XP.

Vanilla Garilla
05-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I am able to share files with my wife's laptop running Vista, but not with my spare PC running XP.

I just went and checked, and after I reinstalled the RC from the beta, I cant access the XP pc's hard drive either. The only thing I am allowed to do, is transfer files from my xp computer into the Windows 7 PC, but I cant do the opposite.

Chiefster
05-14-2009, 06:06 PM
I just went and checked, and after I reinstalled the RC from the beta, I cant access the XP pc's hard drive either. The only thing I am allowed to do, is transfer files from my xp computer into the Windows 7 PC, but I cant do the opposite.

Ok, must not be compatible beyond Vista then. So much for backwards compatibility.

Vanilla Garilla
05-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I just posted a question asking about this at the Windows 7 Forums here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/ed05788a-af43-4df6-b124-fdb57391752e

If I find a solution, I will let you know.

Chiefster
05-15-2009, 11:24 AM
I just posted a question asking about this at the Windows 7 Forums here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/ed05788a-af43-4df6-b124-fdb57391752e

If I find a solution, I will let you know.

:lol:

Too funny, I found it before I saw your post here and replied to it. I, too, will be watching the thread for a solution. :bananen_smilies046:

Vanilla Garilla
05-15-2009, 11:25 AM
:lol:

Too funny, I found it before I saw your post here and replied to it. I, too, will be watching the thread for a solution. :bananen_smilies046:

That is funny, I thought Greg's situation sounded alot like yours...

Chiefster
05-15-2009, 11:29 AM
That is funny, I thought Greg's situation sounded alot like yours...

Yup, and now that everyone here knows my name; what does KC stand for. :lol:

Vanilla Garilla
05-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Yup, and now that everyone here knows my name; what does KC stand for. :lol:

Kevin Christopher, and my favorite team :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
05-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Kevin Christopher, and my favorite team :bananen_smilies046:

:bananen_smilies046:
Good name! Gotta like the initials. :sign0098:

hermhater
05-17-2009, 01:02 PM
What's the problem in here?

pbatrucker
05-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Anyone know if photoshop will work with windows 7?

Vanilla Garilla
05-17-2009, 01:37 PM
From what I have read it works just fine.

hermhater
05-17-2009, 01:40 PM
I will ask my GF to reboot her machine.

If the Windows 7 dual boot is still there I will let you know.

pbatrucker
05-17-2009, 03:16 PM
So far 7 is everthing I've heard or read about it. No major problems. It is difinatley ssmooth and fast.

hermhater
05-17-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm gonna use it eventually full time probably.

Still love my XP though.

pbatrucker
05-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Ok Gorrila, I tried using my dvd player and it shut down windows 7. Do you have any ideas?

Vanilla Garilla
05-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Ok Gorrila, I tried using my dvd player and it shut down windows 7. Do you have any ideas?

Are you talking about the DVD disc drive? Or the Windows media player? Anyways if its the disc drive, you probably need to update the drivers for it, seeing as this is a new OS. If its Windows media player, then I have no clue. I havent experienced problems with either, but the first thing I did once Windows 7 was installed, was go to the start button, and search update device drivers. Once your their, go to the device and update drivers.

Chiefster
05-23-2009, 12:48 AM
I'm gonna use it eventually full time probably.

Still love my XP though.

Me too, but make no mistake about it XP is going away.

AussieChiefsFan
05-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Me too, but make no mistake about it XP is going away.
Sadly. I also still love my XP but it would be good to get windows 7. I mean now there are 2 newer windows Operating Systems' than Xp.

Chiefster
05-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Sadly. I also still love my XP but it would be good to get windows 7. I mean now there are 2 newer windows Operating Systems' than Xp.

Newer does not always equate to better.

AussieChiefsFan
05-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Newer does not always equate to better.
I know, but Windows 7, I have heard is a lot better than Vista (obviously) and might evan be better than the world famous "Microsoft Windows XP"!

Chiefster
05-23-2009, 01:31 AM
I know, but Windows 7, I have heard is a lot better than Vista (obviously) and might evan be better than the world famous "Microsoft Windows XP"!

Actually Windows 7 is like a new and improved Vista. In fact they really should call it Vista SE.

AussieChiefsFan
05-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Actually Windows 7 is like a new and improved Vista. In fact they really should call it Vista SE.
So, Windows 7 is an improved version of Vista, so that makes it equal (or above) of XP. Therefore it actually beats XP becausse IMO it does look a bit better. XP is still a great OP though!:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
05-23-2009, 01:55 AM
So, Windows 7 is an improved version of Vista, so that makes it equal (or above) of XP. Therefore it actually beats XP becausse IMO it does look a bit better. XP is still a great OP though!:bananen_smilies046:

Yeah, but if i had my choice I'd stick with XP forever, it's just because that's what I'm used to. :D

AussieChiefsFan
05-23-2009, 02:03 AM
Yeah, but if i had my choice I'd stick with XP forever, it's just because that's what I'm used to. :D
To be honoust, I'd like a change. I really like it how the bar that you use to move windows around is trasnparent!:D :bananen_smilies046:

hermhater
05-23-2009, 03:16 AM

I don't have no problem with that.

But OS's carry on and we must also.

We can envy the OS of the OS we were weened on but must eventually move on.

AussieChiefsFan
05-23-2009, 04:31 AM

Which is basically what I was saying.:bananen_smilies046:

pbatrucker
05-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Everthing is back to huncky dory with 7

AussieChiefsFan
05-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Everthing is back to huncky dory with 7That's why I want it.:bananen_smilies046:

pbatrucker
05-23-2009, 06:42 AM
The final product will be awesome!!!!

AussieChiefsFan
05-23-2009, 06:48 AM
The final product will be awesome!!!!
Isn't 7 the final product?

pbatrucker
05-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Yes, but we're running the RC version. The finnish product won't be released to the public until just before x-mas. It can be difficult getiing drivers for some hardware now.

AussieChiefsFan
05-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Yes, but we're running the RC version. The finnish product won't be released to the public until just before x-mas. It can be difficult getiing drivers for some hardware now.
Oh, ok. So if my dad think of getting it before x-mas I'll tell him what you told me.:bananen_smilies046:

hermhater
05-23-2009, 01:17 PM
More 7 news?

Chiefster
05-23-2009, 11:27 PM

Yup!

Chiefster
06-26-2009, 06:42 AM
I just pre-ordered and purchased the October 22 full version of Windows 7 being offered at half price for 49.99 + 3.90(Tax)=53.89. I ordered through Amazon.com and the shipping was free!

AussieChiefsFan
06-26-2009, 06:43 AM
I just pre-ordered and purchased the October 22 full version of Windows 7 being offered at half price for 49.99 + 3.90(Tax)=53.89. I ordered through Amazon.com and the shipping was free!
Nice work!

Chiefster
06-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks Aussie! I'm hoping that the full version has the home networking issues resolved. Other then that I'm pretty happy with the product.

AussieChiefsFan
06-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks Aussie! I'm hoping that the full version has the home networking issues resolved. Other then that I'm pretty happy with the product.

Vanilla Garilla
06-26-2009, 10:53 AM

What an excellent offer from MS, I ordered it as well. This deal only lasts until I think July 11th or something like that. Finally MS is doing some fan service.

Chiefster
06-26-2009, 06:39 PM
What kind of Home Networking issues are you having Chiefster?

For some reason I am unable to network my Windows 7 PC with any of my other PCs running Vista and XP. They will display in my network list but will not connect to them.

AussieChiefsFan
06-26-2009, 11:07 PM
For some reason I am unable to network my Windows 7 PC with any of my other PCs running Vista and XP. They will display in my network list but will not connect to them.
That's not good...........

Chiefster
06-26-2009, 11:56 PM
That's not good...........

Well it's not ideal, I just hope the full upgrade version I purchased resolves the issue.

AussieChiefsFan
06-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Well it's not ideal, I just hope the full upgrade version I purchased resolves the issue.
Yeah...

pbatrucker
06-30-2009, 10:30 PM

Yes, I ordered through WalMart.

Chiefster
06-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm excited about getting it.:bananen_smilies046:

Guru
07-01-2009, 12:23 AM
It's $150 more than I really want to spend but too good of a price not to upgrade all 3 of our main PC/laptops.

Chiefster
07-02-2009, 01:35 AM
It's $150 more than I really want to spend but too good of a price not to upgrade all 3 of our main PC/laptops.

No doubt! If I wasn't laid off I would have done the same.

hermhater
07-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Has anyone put Apache on Windows 7 yet?

hermhater
07-12-2009, 03:50 PM
What about Filezilla FTP server?

Canada
07-12-2009, 04:14 PM
What about Filezilla FTP server?

What about shut the f#$k up

hermhater
07-12-2009, 04:58 PM
That's not an option.

Chiefster
07-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Here's the link to the Windows 7 Support Forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

Chiefster
10-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Got my Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade Upgrade in the mail today! Does anyone know whether this can be installed on top of the Eval version or do I need to take my machine back to Vista and upgrade from there? I'm sure that the subject is covered somewhere on Microsoft's website but just don't feel like researching it. :D

The only problem is that my eval version is "Ultimate" and I ordered "Premium" so my upgrade is really a downgrade. :(

Connie Jo
10-30-2009, 12:48 AM
UGH! All this change intimidates me! I'm older, wasn't taught how to use computers in school. By the time PC's for home use became widely used, I was intimidated. I finally bought my PC in 2003...first time I ever turned on or touched a computer.

I've invested hours teaching myself since 2003, and have come such a long way. My kids & others often turn to me for PC advice now. I'm far from a geek, or expert, but also far from the PC illiterate I was in 2003.

I still use the same PC, now 7 yrs old. Still using my original OS Windows XP. I don't want to start over learning a new OS...I love XP! All of the programs I've purchased over the yrs, such as my Paint Shop Pro, Office Publisher...aren't compatible with Vista or Windows 7...I can't afford to replace them either.

My PC's memory is beginning to show signs of age...slowing down, and it's very outdated with being 7 yrs old now. I know I'm eventually gonna have to break down & buy a new PC. I know I need one with more memory for graphics, also more features related to music, such as higher quality sound, etc....but sure wish I could buy one with XP installed as this one was.

Guru
10-30-2009, 05:39 AM
Got my Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade Upgrade in the mail today! Does anyone know whether this can be installed on top of the Eval version or do I need to take my machine back to Vista and upgrade from there? I'm sure that the subject is covered somewhere on Microsoft's website but just don't feel like researching it. :D

The only problem is that my eval version is "Ultimate" and I ordered "Premium" so my upgrade is really a downgrade. :(
I haven't messed with mine yet but a friend of mine just chose the "custom" options on an upgrade copy and got the clean install that way.

Chiefster
10-30-2009, 05:43 AM
UGH! All this change intimidates me! I'm older, wasn't taught how to use computers in school. By the time PC's for home use became widely used, I was intimidated. I finally bought my PC in 2003...first time I ever turned on or touched a computer.

I've invested hours teaching myself since 2003, and have come such a long way. My kids & others often turn to me for PC advice now. I'm far from a geek, or expert, but also far from the PC illiterate I was in 2003.

I still use the same PC, now 7 yrs old. Still using my original OS Windows XP. I don't want to start over learning a new OS...I love XP! All of the programs I've purchased over the yrs, such as my Paint Shop Pro, Office Publisher...aren't compatible with Vista or Windows 7...I can't afford to replace them either.

My PC's memory is beginning to show signs of age...slowing down, and it's very outdated with being 7 yrs old now. I know I'm eventually gonna have to break down & buy a new PC. I know I need one with more memory for graphics, also more features related to music, such as higher quality sound, etc....but sure wish I could buy one with XP installed as this one was.

Some programs you might want to invest some time in, Connie, that compliment whatever anti-virus you're using are Malwarebytes, Ad-aware and possibly an registry cleaner from Glary Utilities. All are free and do not, to my knowledge, interfere with the operation of any anti-virus programs.

Chiefster
10-30-2009, 05:47 AM
I haven't messed with mine yet but a friend of mine just chose the "custom" options on an upgrade copy and got the clean install that way.

Cool. I'll probably install mine today. It's my understanding that after this month the eval copies begin to do the every other hour shutdown thing.

Vanilla Garilla
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Cool. I'll probably install mine today. It's my understanding that after this month the eval copies begin to do the every other hour shutdown thing.

Chiefster, i had to get help in upgrading from the RC to the final copy. I wanted to keep all my files the easy way so I just followed the steps on this following link and it worked great. Hope this helps.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3075/how-to-upgrade-the-windows-7-rc-to-rtm/

Connie Jo
11-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Some programs you might want to invest some time in, Connie, that compliment whatever anti-virus you're using are Malwarebytes, Ad-aware and possibly an registry cleaner from Glary Utilities. All are free and do not, to my knowledge, interfere with the operation of any anti-virus programs.

HUH? You lost me some Chiefster with your advice, which I do appreciate, since I'm not 'that' PC wise. :)

The anti virus I use is from PC Tools, and the registry cleaner I use is RegCure, which isn't free, have to pay an annual renewal fee. I'd of course prefer to use a free one, but someone told me once the free registry cleaners often add 'extras' to your PC not desirable, so that's why I opted at the time for RegCure.

I also do a back up anti virus scan regularly with McAffe's free on line 'Stinger'. At one time I used AVG Anti Virus, but it kept having errors during scans, so uninstalled and went with PC Tools instead.

Connie Jo
11-01-2009, 11:37 PM
I might add, that one thing I've never done is update drivers, which I feel I need to do, but it all confuses me when I look at the list. Many of the websites offering such advice, write tutorials as if they're being read by PC experts, and they lose me, hahaha. :)

Chiefster
11-02-2009, 12:03 AM
HUH? You lost me some Chiefster with your advice, which I do appreciate, since I'm not 'that' PC wise. :)

The anti virus I use is from PC Tools, and the registry cleaner I use is RegCure, which isn't free, have to pay an annual renewal fee. I'd of course prefer to use a free one, but someone told me once the free registry cleaners often add 'extras' to your PC not desirable, so that's why I opted at the time for RegCure.

I also do a back up anti virus scan regularly with McAffe's free on line 'Stinger'. At one time I used AVG Anti Virus, but it kept having errors during scans, so uninstalled and went with PC Tools instead.

RegCure is a good registry cleaner and if you don't mind paying for it does a good job. Glary Utilities does not add anything undesirable as far as I know. Malwarebytes and Ad-aware are very comprehensive programs that will rid your system of any ad-ware or malware that may have infected your machine through typical internet usage.

Malwarebytes.org (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)

Get Ad-Aware Plus for Free with Lavasoft and TrialPay - Lavasoft (http://www.lavasoft.com/single/trialpay.php)

I might add, that one thing I've never done is update drivers, which I feel I need to do, but it all confuses me when I look at the list. Many of the websites offering such advice, write tutorials as if they're being read by PC experts, and they lose me, hahaha. :)

I would be careful with this, and be sure you understand the procedure for rolling back drivers in the event the driver you update causes your hardware to fail or your system to crash. Typically a system that is beginning to run slow and sluggish is in need of cleaning up like a check disk, defrag and utilizing your registry cleaner and scanning for viruses, ad-ware and malware. Here are some step by step solutions to try for typical PC problems:

York PC Service.org • View topic - Solutions to try for before calling a PC technician (http://www.yorkpcservice.org/solutions-to-try-for-before-calling-a-pc-technician-t4.html)