PDA

View Full Version : Hali talks about playing OLB

yashi
05-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Hali hoping for a fresh start - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1183165.html)

I like the things he says, about dropping to 250 lbs to increase his speed. And that the only reason he was at 275 was because Gunther wanted him at that weight. He says he's more comfortable at 250. I thought he looked a step slow last season.

Honestly, my personal opinion is that Hali does have a place in this offense, and that it's at starting OLB opposite Vrabel, with DJ playing inside. We have to have a skilled pass rusher. DJ is unproven in that area (and undersized as a 3-4 OLB), and Vrabel struggled last season getting to the QB.

Pencil him at starter for now.

OLB - Tamba Hali
ILB - Derrick Johnson
ILB - Zach Thomas
OLB - Mike Vrabel

honda522
05-07-2009, 09:32 AM
I think it was stupid for him to gain weight. I see in college he was light...and fast. Now he put on weight and slowed down. I think DE's should be not really slim, but alittle bigger than average.

yashi
05-07-2009, 09:36 AM
I think it was stupid for him to gain weight. I see in college he was light...and fast. Now he put on weight and slowed down. I think DE's should be not really slim, but alittle bigger than average.

yeah.. obviously the question is whether or not he can drop into coverage, at least for short zones if nothing else. That will be the test.

jmlamerson
05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Hali hoping for a fresh start - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1183165.html)

I like the things he says, about dropping to 250 lbs to increase his speed. And that the only reason he was at 275 was because Gunther wanted him at that weight. He says he's more comfortable at 250. I thought he looked a step slow last season.

Honestly, my personal opinion is that Hali does have a place in this offense, and that it's at starting OLB opposite Vrabel, with DJ playing inside. We have to have a skilled pass rusher. DJ is unproven in that area (and undersized as a 3-4 OLB), and Vrabel struggled last season getting to the QB.

Pencil him at starter for now.

OLB - Tamba Hali
ILB - Derrick Johnson
ILB - Zach Thomas
OLB - Mike Vrabel

I wish him luck, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think he has shown the toughness needed for the position.

Vanilla Garilla
05-07-2009, 10:19 AM
I wish him luck, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think he has shown the toughness needed for the position.

Well he sounds as if hes fully committed to getting leaner and meaner this year, which is great. I already named him as who I thought would be the most improved chiefs for 09 in the other thread, lets see if he can bring me some joy.

Canada
05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Honestly, my personal opinion is that Hali does have a place in this offense

RB or WR?? :D

yashi
05-07-2009, 10:24 AM
RB or WR?? :D

oops!! I'm surprised you're the first one to catch that. :D

yashi
05-07-2009, 10:31 AM

yeah we'll see what happens. I do feel that if he doesn't play OLB and instead Beisel or Williams is starting, then our LB corps will be really undersized for a 3-4. I look at most OLBs in particular around the league, and they're mostly 255+ lbs. The only starting linebacker we'd have over 243 would be Vrabel.

pbatrucker
05-07-2009, 10:38 AM
oops!! I'm surprised you're the first one to catch that. :D
Some of us aren't into hammering people for a little slip up. Just don't let it happen again.. He He
:D

Canada
05-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Some of us aren't into hammering people for a little slip up. Just don't let it happen again.. He He

I wasn't hammering him, I just wanted to make sure it did not confuse you!! :p

pbatrucker
05-07-2009, 02:19 PM
I wasn't hammering him, I just wanted to make sure it did not confuse you!! :p
I get confused easily. Canada is south of Mexico right.

tornadospotter
05-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Why yes it is, a long way south.

PawnshopMarimba
05-07-2009, 03:24 PM

If you want to get technical about it, yes, it actually is.
The earth's magnetic north pole is actually what we have dubbed the 'South Pole'.

/Mr. Wizard.

tornadospotter
05-07-2009, 03:53 PM
If you want to get technical about it, yes, it actually is.
The earth's magnetic north pole is actually what we have dubbed the 'South Pole'.

/Mr. Wizard.
I knew it, that dang compass is wrong!!! Hah! now my wife will eat crow, always telling me I not going in the right direction, just pull over and get directions she says.:11:

That is why I missed the Super Bowl party at Canada's house. :D

Canada
05-07-2009, 04:22 PM

If u go far enough!!

josh1971
05-08-2009, 04:40 AM
That was a really good article about Mr. Hali, and I have to say, the guy has a great attitude about this. I'm not sure why Gunther would have had him add that much weight to play DE, but it must have had something to do with wanting our line to be huge, slow, and sloppy, and unable to sack groceries, let alone a QB.

25 pounds lighter, the guy is probably going to have much better quickness.

Hopefully that will allow him to really contribute this year, and get back to the sack totals he was enjoying before.

jb

AussieChiefsFan
05-08-2009, 04:54 AM
That was a really good article about Mr. Hali, and I have to say, the guy has a great attitude about this. I'm not sure why Gunther would have had him add that much weight to play DE, but it must have had something to do with wanting our line to be huge, slow, and sloppy, and unable to sack groceries, let alone a QB.

25 pounds lighter, the guy is probably going to have much better quickness.

Hopefully that will allow him to really contribute this year, and get back to the sack totals he was enjoying before.

jb:bananen_smilies046:

yashi
05-08-2009, 08:50 AM
yea, he needs to have the ability to drop into coverage, but honestly how often do we see Shawne Merriman or Demarcus Ware drop back? Point being that I think it's much more important that he can get to the passer quickly since he'll be trying to do that more often than not.

josh1971
05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Not picking on the guy, but how often did Derrick Thomas drop back? It would kind of depend on the scheme used, wouldn't it?

pbatrucker
05-08-2009, 07:31 PM
You are both right about those players to a point. They aren't exspected to cover man to man, but are responsible for zone coverage. Willie McGinnest was one of the best hybrids and he stated learning to drop into coverage was the hardest thing he had to learn. It's not physically getting to a certain place, but were and how to get the proper reads to be in the correct position.

oregonchieffan58
05-09-2009, 01:20 AM
I think if Hali can go from 275 down to 250 he will prove to be more effective. To be honest, no matter what position he plays I think the weight needs to drop off to be more effective. Terrell Suggs from Baltimore and Woodley from Pitt are the type of OLB's that are good at 260+ If hali can get down to the 250 range I think he can do damage. Look at at off the stud OLB from last year...tons of them were around 250 or below. Chiefs need not worry about having the biggest players...we should get some big and speedy guys. There are exceptions to the rule of OLB being 250 or below, its just my humble opinion

josh1971
05-09-2009, 02:52 AM
It does depend on the scheme but towards the end of DT's career and life he was dropping back in coverage alot more frequently.

I seem to remember that Gunther had done some different schemes that had DT doing things other than rushing the passer. Wasn't there a season where DT said he felt really out of place because of what they were having him do?

jb