PDA

View Full Version : Rumor about Edge coming to KC

N TX Dave
05-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Just read another rumor about James coming to KC. At least these are something about the Chiefs.

Source (http://testosteronesports.com/the_vein_review.php?vein_id=2697)

Chiefs looking at Edge

Posted: 05/05/09 11:29 am The Main Line...Edgerrin James played last season for Todd Haley while they both were in Arizona, but a reunion could be coming in Kansas City. ESPN is reporting that the Chiefs are looking at the possibility of adding James to their mix now that he's been released by the Cardinals.
jesse thinks...
The team was openly flirting with the option of cutting Larry Johnsnon few months back, and this could possibly give them a replacement if that's still the plan. Still, moving from LJ to Edge would be a downgrade for the offense, so I think Haley will consider this cautiously before moving ahead. I could also see James being added to pair with LJ, which would likely signal the end of Kolby Smith's run in KC.

yashi
05-08-2009, 12:22 PM
There's a few things that would be interesting about this move, and although I bashed the idea of it before, I do see how it makes sense.

Edge is much more complete back in the passing game than LJ, especially when it comes to pass blocking. Haley's offense is likely to revolve around the pass, meaning LJ isn't an ideal fit being that he's very good in the running game, very poor in the passing game.

Then of course there's the money situation. If we can dump LJ's contract, Edge can probably be acquired much cheaper. But with free agency ending, what would we do with the cash.

The obvious problem is that Edge has a ton of mileage on those legs and hasn't had over 3.9 YPC since 2005. Was it a result of poor blocking, or age? Who knows.

There's also a possibility that we end up with both. LJ, Edge, and Charles? That could be pretty nasty if Haley is able to work all 3 into the offense.

hometeam
05-08-2009, 01:00 PM
gross. do not want.

jmlamerson
05-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Edge as a backup to LJ is not a terrible idea. We'd get him cheap, and he is a better back than Kolby Smith. Charles would probably be our 3rd down RB. I don't see the downside here.

Vanilla Garilla
05-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah two 30 year old, beaten up running backs. Thats how you get it done.....are you freaking kidding me, the league has reverted back to speed.

Sn@keIze
05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I think the Saints are the main team looking at him right now.

Lazeye
05-08-2009, 01:49 PM
No with James! The only thing I can see as a positive with this is that James would be able to give leadership training to LJ and a bottle of ACT RIGHT PILLS!

tornadospotter
05-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Sign him or not, I do not care.

Chiefster
05-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Sign him or not, I do not care.

Yup; either or.

josh1971
05-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Doesn't much matter to me as long as the team wins.

N TX Dave
05-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Doesn't much matter to me as long as the team wins.
:sign0098: :bananen_smilies046:

I am with you there I don't care who they sign or don't sign as long as they win.

oregonchieffan58
05-09-2009, 07:11 PM
I think the news is just a rumor. I think plans and strategies had to be in place just in case LJ demanded a trade or KC needed to move him. Initially I think sometimes a disgruntled RB gets motivated a tad bit when a big name free agent is discussed about joining or replacing the current RB...ofcourse these plans backfire too. I think the news about James is a contiuation of KC discussing all of the possibilities with our run game. James in place of LJ would be a downgrade

oregonchieffan58
05-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Even though LJ has his share of issues (more than his share really). If James and LJ had the same # of carries, my money would be on LJ

yashi
05-09-2009, 08:39 PM
So far everyone is still talking about the running game and seem to be forgetting that this is likely going to be a pass-heavy offense, which favors Edge over LJ. Sure LJ is the better ball carrier, but Edge's pass blocking skills are leaps and bounds better than LJ and he's better at catching the ball out of the backfield.

I don't think Edge is a better player than LJ, but I can certainly see how he could be a better fit in Todd Haley's scheme than LJ.

When it comes down to it, I doubt Pioli is thrilled with the idea of LJ being the guy putting up the last ditch block for his potential 30+ million dollar investment in Cassel. We are talking about a guy who routinely gets out of the way rather than tries to block for the QB.

oregonchieffan58
05-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I think we are talking about the running game because it opens up the passing game. The only way Bowe will truly be able to break out is if he has help in the back field and have the opposition fear or atleast respect the run. Sure James may fit better into a pass heavy attack (which is how Chiefs played the second half of the season and how Arizona played the entire season) but I can argue that Arizona could have won the superbowl (they almost did) if they has a better compliment to their awesome passing attack. Many possible first downs could have be made if there was an actual running game. James was the leading rusher on the team vs Pitt....he rushed for 9 times. Harrington and Hightower each got a carry for a grand total of 11 rushing carries (12 since Warner rushed once to avoid being killed). Arizona played awesome and Fitz kept him in the game. Although exciting to watch, not typically a way a team gets to the superbowl being so one sided offensively. That is one of the reasons the world was so surprised that Arizona was playing in the Superbowl. Besides, we don't have the players to have an offense like that....yet.

jmlamerson
05-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah two 30 year old, beaten up running backs. Thats how you get it done.....are you freaking kidding me, the league has reverted back to speed.

Um, no it hasn't? Teams are platooning at RB with fresh legs. Size, speed, etc. aren't nearly as important as staying healthy. Signing Edge has no downside, as long as it's a one-year contract. Plus him in when LJ gets hurt.

AussieChiefsFan
05-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Um, no it hasn't? Teams are platooning at RB with fresh legs. Size, speed, etc. aren't nearly as important as staying healthy. Signing Edge has no downside, as long as it's a one-year contract. Plus him in when LJ gets hurt.Or if he get's traded or cut.

jmlamerson
05-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Or if he get's traded or cut.

I'd have bet your life he would be at the end of 2008 season. But it's becoming less and less likely every day. Especially since he lost the arbitration.

Coach
05-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Edge is familiar with our offense and pass blocking schemes. He is a great pass-blocker. Always has been. He's also a hard runner. That would compliment people like Jamaal Charles. I think he's a viable option as a backup for LJ. As jmlamerson correctly points out, I think he's worth a roster spot under a 1 yr contract.

Coach
05-10-2009, 12:42 AM
The big downside is his health , is he fit enough to last an entire season?
In the role he'd play here, I can't imagine him getting more than 6-8 carries a game. So I'd say he has an above average chance of staying healthy.

Chiefster
05-10-2009, 01:27 AM
That would be the one reason he would work out for us, but if he is not able to produce yardage when he is asked to carry he will be reduced to blocking back and a red flag for defenses when he comes in the game. Now , I could see him playing a role as a Combo back and doing some blocking for LJ or in passing downs have Edge and LJ in the backfield for blocking in the pass game. The big downside is his health , is he fit enough to last an entire season?

In the role he'd play here, I can't imagine him getting more than 6-8 carries a game. So I'd say he has an above average chance of staying healthy.

I think he may well be able to be more productive as receiving running back. Perhaps using a double back set would go a long way towards keeping the defense honest. Just a thought.

oregonchieffan58
05-10-2009, 02:22 AM
Um, no it hasn't? Teams are platooning at RB with fresh legs. Size, speed, etc. aren't nearly as important as staying healthy. Signing Edge has no downside, as long as it's a one-year contract. Plus him in when LJ gets hurt.

The league has made a transition to RBBC of sorts. However, the teams that are sucessful with this (ie NY Giants, Carolina) have younger kids in there...not 30 year olds. Many teams are bringin in ou guys to have one 30+ yr old vet with a youngster to teach him the ropes

jmlamerson
05-10-2009, 08:52 PM
The league has made a transition to RBBC of sorts. However, the teams that are sucessful with this (ie NY Giants, Carolina) have younger kids in there...not 30 year olds. Many teams are bringin in ou guys to have one 30+ yr old vet with a youngster to teach him the ropes

I'm not saying that bringing Edge in would be a good thing. But it wouldn't be a bad thing either. RB is an increasingly replaceable position. After LJ gets hurt this season, we're going to need to put someone for a few games. Edge is as good as anyone else.

I just don't see it as a big deal.

josh1971
05-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Agreed. I don't see how it would hurt.

dbolan
05-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Edge could be a mentor to Charles and Kolby while being a starter. LJ could be out.

If people are worried about the legs of Edge, why so if we are gonna be a "pass happy" offense? If he gets 10-15 carries a game and the rest go to Charles and/or Kolby we would have a fresh group of RB's.

This will be a fun thing to see what happens but I like Edge's work ethic and he insists that he has plenty left in the tank.

Pro_Angler
05-11-2009, 02:29 PM
if edge couldnt beat out sorry hightower, then how will he beat out LJ and others?

yashi
05-11-2009, 02:54 PM
if edge couldnt beat out sorry hightower, then how will he beat out LJ and others?
I never really did understand that... Hightower is terrible. He had 2.8 yards per carry last season. Edge had 3.9. I have no idea why Hightower was the starter much of the season.

josh1971
05-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Edge could be a mentor to Charles and Kolby while being a starter. LJ could be out.

If people are worried about the legs of Edge, why so if we are gonna be a "pass happy" offense? If he gets 10-15 carries a game and the rest go to Charles and/or Kolby we would have a fresh group of RB's.

This will be a fun thing to see what happens but I like Edge's work ethic and he insists that he has plenty left in the tank.

What makes you so sure LJ is out?

N TX Dave
05-11-2009, 08:00 PM
What makes you so sure LJ is out?

He said "LJ could be out" why do you think he is "so sure LJ is out"?:sign0153:

Sn@keIze
05-12-2009, 03:10 AM
LJ is staying!

He is going to have 1589 rushing yards and 215 recieving yards!

And at the end of the season we will all be posting about how happy we are that LJ has turned his life and field play around.

AussieChiefsFan
05-12-2009, 04:14 AM
LJ is staying!

He is going to have 1589 rushing yards and 215 recieving yards!

And at the end of the season we will all be posting about how happy we are that LJ has turned his life and field play around.
Fair enouph. :bananen_smilies046:

DT14PRIEST
05-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Isnt the basis of Edge's wanting out of Arizona revolving around how he felt under 'utilized' there? Why would he want to come to KC to play for the OC that didn't use him as much as he wanted to be used?

Or am I off on this?

Crawdadr
05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Bad offfield players are a poison to any locker room. Better to have Edge showing the young guys how to play then LJ showing them the wrong way to act.

dbolan
05-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I just don't think Edge is as washed up as some folks tend to think. I believe he has at least 2 solid years left becuase he pretty much had a partial season last year due to splitting time with the other backs in AZ.

He wanted the ball more last year to show that he still "had it" and all of us know that a majority of backs need to get a number of touches to get in a good groove.

If the Chiefs could work out a good deal to get him for a couple of years, I am all for it!!

Coach
05-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Isnt the basis of Edge's wanting out of Arizona revolving around how he felt under 'utilized' there? Why would he want to come to KC to play for the OC that didn't use him as much as he wanted to be used?

Or am I off on this?

You are right on the money. But at this point I think reality has to be setting in for Edge.

What team is going to trade for Edge to be their feature back? I can't think of any.

He will be part of a platoon. New Orleans, GB, Ariz, Seattle, Cincy, Tampa, NE, Jax are some places that immediately come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

NWA Chief
05-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Edge is not going to KC. Deal with it....Seattle and New Orleans could pick him up. Heck, it doesn't matter to him if his team wins the superbowl or loses every game. He was whining while playing for a team that made it to the Super Bowl, he just wants the ball. I don't see him being helpful to us production wise or with his attitude. Pioli nor Haley would want him either

Pro_Angler
05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
I think teams are waiting to see how camps go wether or not they bring him in..

DrunkHillbilly
05-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Edge is not going to KC. Deal with it....Seattle and New Orleans could pick him up. Heck, it doesn't matter to him if his team wins the superbowl or loses every game. He was whining while playing for a team that made it to the Super Bowl, he just wants the ball. I don't see him being helpful to us production wise or with his attitude. Pioli nor Haley would want him either
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about!! Edge was nothing but classy throughout the entire 08 season. Sure he voiced some displeasure about not getting the ball as much as he would have liked but he was at no point a distraction to the team. He has always had a good attitude and would be an assett for any team looking for a veteran RB.

hermhater
05-17-2009, 01:55 PM
With him and Dorsey running the wildcat we can't lose.

Sn@keIze
05-20-2009, 01:46 AM
With him and Dorsey running the wildcat we can't lose.

LOL! your lovin this Wildcat Dorsey thing aren't ya?

Heres a lil update on the edge:

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Saints still looking at RB James, GM says « (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/05/19/saints-still-interested-in-rb-james-gm-says/)

marloweopatchiefs
05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
jamaal charles is are future..that kid is fast

josh1971
05-22-2009, 01:12 AM
jamaal charles is are future..that kid is fast

He's fast, but he got run down from behind by a dolphins DB, and it could hardly be said that he is durable.

jb

Sn@keIze
05-22-2009, 02:41 AM
He's fast, but he got run down from behind by a dolphins DB, and it could hardly be said that he is durable.

jbYes it was Yeremiah Bell. Much older.

I remember because I raised such a fuss about it while everybody told me it was really cold and a fluke.

I guess Yeremiah had better weather at his part of the field.

I do think Jamaal is one of the fastest. He and the coaches need to make sure they stay warmed up and limber tho if that was the case.

josh1971
05-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Agreed- he's fast. More than that, he has a particular quickness to get through the line that's really nice to see. I don't want to give the impression that I don't like Mr. Charles. I think he could be really great, especially in a role like Todd McNair had for the chiefs (and broke some really big plays, mind you!)

I'm just saying that I don't think he's an every-down back in the NFL.

jb

yashi
05-22-2009, 04:37 PM
So who was it again that first rushed for 100 yards against Tampa Bay last season, all the way in week 9? Forte? Turner? Deangelo Williams? Marion Barber?

Nope, 21 year old rookie Jamaal Charles.

Charles is going to be a stud and I refuse to believe anything less.

josh1971
05-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Wow- he had a 100 yard game.

I'm not saying he's not going to be good. But again- not an every down back. Also notable about that game was that Charles didn't score, but did fumble once.

jb

NWA Chief
05-23-2009, 10:58 AM
100 yard games were hard to come by last year. Given the fact that he was a ROOKIE still learning the ropes also. Josh1971, why you bashing Charles? He might not be the future RB that carries it 40 times a game for 10 years but he has a role on our team as a slasher. Also to just throw this out there, not many RB's would've had 100 yd games running behind our line last year. If I remember right, he was the first back that year to run for more than 100 yds on the Bucs.

rodu
05-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Greg Hill had a few 100 yard games

josh1971
05-23-2009, 11:39 PM
100 yard games were hard to come by last year. Given the fact that he was a ROOKIE still learning the ropes also. Josh1971, why you bashing Charles? He might not be the future RB that carries it 40 times a game for 10 years but he has a role on our team as a slasher. Also to just throw this out there, not many RB's would've had 100 yd games running behind our line last year. If I remember right, he was the first back that year to run for more than 100 yds on the Bucs.

Once again, and if you actually read what I write, I am not bashing him. He's going to be very good, and as I said, in a role like Todd McNair had for us, I have no doubt he'll excel, and we need that. But I just don't think he's a 20-25 carries a game, 16 games kind of back. It's not bashing, it's realism. He's not very big, and he's already shown the tendency to get nicked by injuries.

But as a 3rd down and specialty back, and a change of pace from pounding the line, I think he's going to be excellent. With his speed, it will be like having an extra WR out there in passing situations.

jb

DT14PRIEST
05-26-2009, 02:05 AM
Unless Charles can add some considerable bulk while maintaing his step or all of a sudden becomes a shifty in backfield runner he'll always be flash without the thunder; a complementary back.

There are some stud comp. backs.

Chiefster
05-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Greg Hill had a few 100 yard games

Point well taken.

...So did Marcus Allen BTW.

dbolan
05-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Unless Charles can add some considerable bulk while maintaing his step or all of a sudden becomes a shifty in backfield runner he'll always be flash without the thunder; a complementary back.

There are some stud comp. backs.

I disagree. There are and were plenty of backs that were comparible in size (5'11'' 200lbs) that were very successful. Todd McNair and Charles are not even close to one another from an athletic standpoint.

Wonder why a guy that is near 6' and 200 lbs is usually deemed as "light, yet you can have a 5'9" RB at 190lbs and it's no big deal? I am sure Charles will put on a few few pounds as he matures physically.

Charles is a little bit smaller version of Dickerson and Allen while very close to Payton, yet he has better speed than all of them.

Chris Johnson of the Titans is an exact replica of Charles from a physical standpoint...Speed included. He was actually "used" properly in his first year and I think he will become a 20-25 carry per game back as well.

Eric Dickerson: 6'3" 220lbs

Marcus Allen: 6'2" 210 lbs

Walter Payton 5'10" 202 lbs

Chris Johnson 5'11" 200 lbs: 4.2 speed and Runner-up Rookie of the year.

Jamaal Charles 5'11" 200lbs: 4.2 40yd dash

jmlamerson
05-31-2009, 07:26 PM
I disagree. There are and were plenty of backs that were comparible in size (5'11'' 200lbs) that were very successful. Todd McNair and Charles are not even close to one another from an athletic standpoint.

Wonder why a guy that is near 6' and 200 lbs is usually deemed as "light, yet you can have a 5'9" RB at 190lbs and it's no big deal? I am sure Charles will put on a few few pounds as he matures physically.

Charles is a little bit smaller version of Dickerson and Allen while very close to Payton, yet he has better speed than all of them.

Chris Johnson of the Titans is an exact replica of Charles from a physical standpoint...Speed included. He was actually "used" properly in his first year and I think he will become a 20-25 carry per game back as well.

Eric Dickerson: 6'3" 220lbs

Marcus Allen: 6'2" 210 lbs

Walter Payton 5'10" 202 lbs

Chris Johnson 5'11" 200 lbs: 4.2 speed and Runner-up Rookie of the year.

Jamaal Charles 5'11" 200lbs: 4.2 40yd dash

You can't compare Dickerson, Allen, and Payton to Charles. Front sevens, even 15 years ago, were much smaller and slower.

Chris Johnson had a great 1st year. He played behind a great OL and had a big back in Lendale White to pick up some slack (things Charles didn't). If he plays another 16 game season, I'll be shocked. The league is littered with ROY RBs who broke down. With the exception of true freaks like Tomlinson, Westbrook, and Portis, there just isn't such a thing as an every down RB anymore (and even those three break down every so often). A ready supply of fresh legs and a good OL are more important than any one player.

Again, nothing against Charles, but don't build him up too much. If we try to give him the ball 20 times a week, he'll break down. At best, probably, he's a Leon Washington/Kevin Faulk type for us (10 touches a week). And that's pretty good in today's NFL.

dbolan
06-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Medicinal aids, equipment, theraputic and supplement regimens are leaps and bounds ahead of what they were even 10 years ago (salaries included) and to think that "most" RB's in a pro league cannot carry the ball more than 10-15 times without risk of breaking down...Hmmm.

I know, I know....We need a better O-line...Most backs are successful and "less" beat-up with a good line but for pete's sake....It seems like every one of our backs are "situational" backs. One can run like hell, catch a ball and block pretty good but he is deemed "fragile". The other is already fragile (Smith) and the other is a beast of a runner that does not like to block, can't catch very well, and lately, tends to avoid contact.

So, in reality....We're "screwed"??? LMAO!

Johnson in...It's more probable of a run play....Take him out, more probable of a pass play. Sheeesh!

That is what I liked about Edge....He could do all and I still think he could for another year or two.

jmlamerson
06-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Medicinal aids, equipment, theraputic and supplement regimens are leaps and bounds ahead of what they were even 10 years ago (salaries included) and to think that "most" RB's in a pro league cannot carry the ball more than 10-15 times without risk of breaking down...Hmmm.

No. Medical equipment in preventing/curing injury hasn't even come close to the conditioning that have turned the average LB into a 250 lb wall of muscle that can run a 4.6.

Here's a quiz: How many RBs rushed over 20 or more times a game (320 carries total) last season? 3. That's right. 3. (AP, Turner, and Portis). AP and Turner are just starting out in the league and haven't had much wear and tear (I'll bet at least one misses significant games this year). And Portis (like Westbrook and LT - both of whom were around 15/game) is a freak.

It's not an accident that successful teams are platooning at RB, while unsuccessful teams are sticking with the one-back system.

I know, I know....We need a better O-line...Most backs are successful and "less" beat-up with a good line but for pete's sake....It seems like every one of our backs are "situational" backs. One can run like hell, catch a ball and block pretty good but he is deemed "fragile". The other is already fragile (Smith) and the other is a beast of a runner that does not like to block, can't catch very well, and lately, tends to avoid contact.

So, in reality....We're "screwed"??? LMAO!

Johnson in...It's more probable of a run play....Take him out, more probable of a pass play. Sheeesh!

That is what I liked about Edge....He could do all and I still think he could for another year or two.

We're not screwed. We use LJ as a two-down RB and Charles as our 3DRB and in the two-back set. We don't play Herm-ball (run/run/pass). We are pretty good to go RB-wise, just so long as we don't expect one guy to dominate. Edge would be fine as a change of pace back. He's not an every down back anymore. Very, very few RBs are.