PDA

View Full Version : The reason I've still got hope for the off-season

AussieChiefsFan
05-09-2009, 03:02 AM
The reason that I've have still got my hopes up about the rest of the off-season and the whole regular-season. Evan though TG was traded and Curry wasn't drafted, is because that Scott Pioli has a great reputation with his draft picks and with making all sorts of other decisions.

pbatrucker
05-09-2009, 06:17 AM
You'e gotta believe!!!! GO CHIEFS!!!

AussieChiefsFan
05-09-2009, 09:05 AM
You'e gotta believe!!!! GO CHIEFS!!!
:bananen_smilies046:

chiefsfreak4life
05-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I fully anticipate we might see even more personnel changes with the Chiefs before training camp is over. A overhaul was needed in this organization from the top to the bottom. Starting with Pioli and Haley, down to signing undrafted rookies, the drive begins, to bring winning and pride back into Arrowhead country!!

2009-win the AFC West
2010-Super Bowl Bound

:fan_wave2:

okikcfan
05-09-2009, 11:38 AM
The reason that I've have still got my hopes up about the rest of the off-season and the whole regular-season. Evan though TG was traded and Curry wasn't drafted, is because that Scott Pioli has a great reputation with his draft picks and with making all sorts of other decisions.

There is no reason to be disapointed with our off season. We have a new GM and HC, a new QB, we have LB's and WR's coming outa our butts, and Bowe, well he's just gettin started, we have new comers that bring in the much needed experience and leadership that we lacked last year. We also had a pretty good draft last year but very poor coaching and no leadership. This is a whole new era, a whole new Chiefs team in so many ways. The sports critics are what they are, Critics! The Chiefs are being watched by other AFC West teams and thay are a little concerned as they should be. The Raiders?, well there just the Raiders, The Bronco's? well they blew it with the Cutler deal and it will cost them a season or two. The Chargers? They better stay healthy and ready because the times, they are a changing, They may have been the AFC west Champs the last three years but that my friend is about to change. There will be two fights this year, the Raiders and Bronco's fighting to stay out of last place, which with the Raiders new backup QB they could win that one and the Charges and Chiefs fighting to take the lead in the AFC West. Three of the first four games will be tough and we may lose all three and we may not but by the time the Cowboys game rolls into town we will be coming together as a team and people and critics will sit up and take notice and what better year to do it in than on the 50th anniversary of the AFC. Here's to the New Chiefs and a Kick *** Season! :bananen_smilies046: :yahoo:

Vanilla Garilla
05-09-2009, 06:14 PM
There is no reason to be disapointed with our off season. We have a new GM and HC, a new QB, we have LB's and WR's coming outa our butts, and Bowe, well he's just gettin started, we have new comers that bring in the much needed experience and leadership that we lacked last year. We also had a pretty good draft last year but very poor coaching and no leadership. This is a whole new era, a whole new Chiefs team in so many ways. The sports critics are what they are, Critics! The Chiefs are being watched by other AFC West teams and thay are a little concerned as they should be. The Raiders?, well there just the Raiders, The Bronco's? well they blew it with the Cutler deal and it will cost them a season or two. The Chargers? They better stay healthy and ready because the times, they are a changing, They may have been the AFC west Champs the last three years but that my friend is about to change. There will be two fights this year, the Raiders and Bronco's fighting to stay out of last place, which with the Raiders new backup QB they could win that one and the Charges and Chiefs fighting to take the lead in the AFC West. Three of the first four games will be tough and we may lose all three and we may not but by the time the Cowboys game rolls into town we will be coming together as a team and people and critics will sit up and take notice and what better year to do it in than on the 50th anniversary of the AFC. Here's to the New Chiefs and a Kick *** Season! :bananen_smilies046: :yahoo:

Completely agreed, this has been one of the best offseasons that I can remember for the Chiefs.

oregonchieffan58
05-09-2009, 07:07 PM
I liked our offseason as well. Many of the not so obvious or unpopular moves will probably make sense a year or two from now...which is what the new regime is looking towards. Pioli is "the man" for a reason, I may not agree with everytning he is doing/does, but that is why he is the head guy and I am typing about the guy on a forum :-)

oregonchieffan58
05-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Can you imagine how much everyone will praise Pioli and Haley if we get in the playoffs this year? Good possibility if we fills some spots, improve play and for heavens sake finish games. In the FC West a 9-7 record could take it this year. Obviously going from 2-14 to 9-7 is a large task, but I think we have the pillars in place to pull a Dolphin 08 surprise to the league

jmlamerson
05-09-2009, 11:00 PM
No offense, but anyone who has problems with this offseason isn't paying enough attention. We rebuilt our front seven, traded for a franchise QB, signed some legitimate FAs for our WR and OL corps, signed a real HC, and rebuilt our special teams. We lost Tony, which depresses me, but we are better (or at least equal) as every position except TE.

And, again, no offense but anyone who wanted Curry was crazy. We had no one to stop the run on the DL. Curry would have racked up a number of tackles, but we're not winning four games without stopping the run.

honda522
05-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Thats right Aussie, but no real Chiefs fan would ever give up hope. A real Chiefs fan still watches, and wishes the best for his team, even under hard time...like when you have a doushbag head coach like Herm Edwards. :bananen_smilies046:

chief31
05-10-2009, 12:13 AM
No offense, but anyone who has problems with this offseason isn't paying enough attention. We rebuilt our front seven, traded for a franchise QB, signed some legitimate FAs for our WR and OL corps, signed a real HC, and rebuilt our special teams. We lost Tony, which depresses me, but we are better (or at least equal) as every position except TE.

And, again, no offense but anyone who wanted Curry was crazy. We had no one to stop the run on the DL. Curry would have racked up a number of tackles, but we're not winning four games without stopping the run.

Overall, I like this offseason. But that certainly doesn't mean that there are no complaints to be made.

A.) A real head coach? He is a rookie head coach. There is plenty of room to be skeptical of that. Upgrade over Herm? Almost certainly. But I can't presume to say that he is a real HC at this time.

B.) Are we really that confident in our new DC's track record?

C.) Eliminating great draft position, by reaching at almost every pick is definitely worthy of criticism.

D.) Goff may be able to make our O-line look good. But I think most of us know that there are holes to be filled yet. Certainly, that could still be on the horizon.

Now, I want to repeat this, as the positive portions of my posts tend to get overlooked, but I do like this offseason, overall. I'd grade it, at this point, as a B-.

But I don't think that everything has gone perfectly. And I have been paying attention.

Coach
05-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Now, I want to repeat this, as the positive portions of my posts tend to get overlooked, but I do like this offseason, overall. I'd grade it, at this point, as a B-.

But I don't think that everything has gone perfectly. And I have been paying attention.

I'm very happy with this off-season.
Pioli vs Carl Peterson = Improvement
Anyone vs. Herm Edwards = Improvement

I'd grade it at a Solid A-.

jmlamerson
05-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Overall, I like this offseason. But that certainly doesn't mean that there are no complaints to be made.

A.) A real head coach? He is a rookie head coach. There is plenty of room to be skeptical of that. Upgrade over Herm? Almost certainly. But I can't presume to say that he is a real HC at this time.

C.) Eliminating great draft position, by reaching at almost every pick is definitely worthy of criticism.

D.) Goff may be able to make our O-line look good. But I think most of us know that there are holes to be filled yet. Certainly, that could still be on the horizon.

Look at it this way. We're equal to or better at every position but TE this offseason. There's only so much you can do in one year!

chief31
05-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Look at it this way. We're equal to or better at every position but TE this offseason. There's only so much you can do in one year!

But, looking at the long-term, we have some major question marks, including GM, HC and DC.

The question at GM is rather Pioli is great GM making great pick-ups, or if Belichick was getting the best out of the players he was given.

If it's the latter, then what do we have at GM?

Saying that we are better than last year isn't saying much.

A consistent 7-9 team is a whole lot better than what we had last year. But that wouldn't be very impressive.

Chiefster
05-10-2009, 01:37 AM

I've really not known a draft/off season to go "perfectly", however, I agree with most of what you've mentioned here.

The jury is still way out on our head coach but agree that just about anyone is better then Herm.

I defer point "C" to my opening comment; at this point I have no reason not to trust Pioli's off season experience.

I give us a B.

Chiefster
05-10-2009, 01:40 AM
But, looking at the long-term, we have some major question marks, including GM, HC and DC.

The question at GM is rather Pioli is great GM making great pick-ups, or if Belichick was getting the best out of the players he was given.

A consistent 7-9 team is a whole lot better than what we had last year. But that wouldn't be very impressive.

Good point! :lol:

okikcfan
05-10-2009, 01:50 AM

Well, everyone has to start sometime and it's Haley's time to shine. Pioli picked him for a reason and until he has his chance we won't know, but as for me, he is a HC, he's our HC and I will support him until he proves to me he is not worthy. Yes some of the off season picks are short term fixes but they are short term fixes we needed badly not only for there experience but also there leadership, something we did not have last year and any coaching is better than what we had last year. Faith is what we need and it's what many of us have. This could very much be the year everything changes for us, and it may not, but it's what we want to believe in, and untill this season is over I will back Pioli and Haley 100 percent. :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
05-10-2009, 01:53 AM
Well, everyone has to start sometime and it's Haley's time to shine. Pioli picked him for a reason and until he has his chance we won't know, but as for me, he is a HC, he's our HC and I will support him until he proves to me he is not worthy. Yes some of the off season picks are short term fixes but they are short term fixes we needed badly not only for there experience but also there leadership, something we did not have last year and any coaching is better than what we had last year. Faith is what we need and it's what many of us have. This could very much be the year everything changes for us, and it may not, but it's what we want to believe in, and untill this season is over I will back Pioli and Haley 100 percent. :bananen_smilies046:

I will back them until they give me a reason not too.

oregonchieffan58
05-10-2009, 02:29 AM
who are we kidding, we will back them no matter what...we are chief fans thats what we do, that is what we have been doing. Its been tough but ultimately we get to start off each season with new hopes and when new coaching comes in (and management this year) that is just another aspect we are thinking of as fans.

Vandelay
05-10-2009, 02:57 AM
It's been a great offseason. Two years from now, all Chiefs fans will be happy they drafted Jackson instead of Curry.

AussieChiefsFan
05-10-2009, 04:41 AM
It's been a great offseason. Two years from now, all Chiefs fans will be happy they drafted Jackson instead of Curry.
Well out of the top five picks in the draft Tysong jackson was voted to have the least successful career and Aaron Curry was voted to have the MOST successful career!

Vandelay
05-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Well out of the top five picks in the draft Tysong jackson was voted to have the least successful career and Aaron Curry was voted to have the MOST successful career!
All we can do is wait and see. I just get the feeling Curry is the next Derrick Johnson, a good player, but not great, and certainly not worth a #3 pick.

oregonchieffan58
05-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Talent is great, getting into a system and being productive and coachable are traits that make solid players. I remember tons of players in recent past that were tagged the next best thing, flop under the pressure of the NFL. Granted many QB's have failed, one can argue its because of the difficulty of the position, but how many draft busts have there been in recent years? PLENTY! Curry may have been "voted" to be more successful than Jackson...but in the end performance on the field will be the judge of that

okikcfan
05-10-2009, 06:37 PM

As I said earlier, critics are what they are, CRITICS! Did you know that Ryan Leaf was predicted to have a better start than Eli Manning? How close where they on that one? :lol: :lol:

billb40
05-10-2009, 08:28 PM
We will no how good they are at the end of next season. That will be the true test all else is pure speculation and unending faith in the red and gold.

jmlamerson
05-10-2009, 08:29 PM

For some reason, people are trying to pretend either Belichick or Pioli was the brains of the Pats. The answer is that neither was. Or both were. It isn't an either/or thing. Both were expert talent evaluators and both shared similar personnel philosophies. Belichick will excel without Pioli and Pioli will excel without Belichick. Because both are smart and know the way to run a franchise in today's NFL.

Being better than last year isn't hard, I'll admit. But we're building this team right. We're signing good, cheap FAs and building our lines in the draft. My big regret is that we didn't sign more OL, but again, we're only one year into the Pioli/Haley era!

josh1971
05-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Who was this that voted? And what were they basing it on? Suppose in two weeks, Curry blows out a kneed and never plays a down for Seattle, what then? (Note- I sure hope this doesn't happen, just being hypothetical)

A vote like that is just ridiculous. No one knows yet what either of these guys will be like in the NFL.

I think it would be interesting to keep these "voters" in mind for a few years down the road, if Tyson's had 2 or 3 seasons with 10+ sacks, division titles, etc.

But then, they'll just complain about the "weak division" or some such garbage.

My big regret is that we didn't sign more OL, but again, we're only one year into the Pioli/Haley era!

Actually, isn't it more like 3 months into the Pioli/Haley era? When was it that those guys came on. Honestly, I can't remember, but it was January at the earliest, no?

jb

jmlamerson
05-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Who was this that voted? And what were they basing it on? Suppose in two weeks, Curry blows out a kneed and never plays a down for Seattle, what then? (Note- I sure hope this doesn't happen, just being hypothetical)

A vote like that is just ridiculous. No one knows yet what either of these guys will be like in the NFL.

I think it would be interesting to keep these "voters" in mind for a few years down the road, if Tyson's had 2 or 3 seasons with 10+ sacks, division titles, etc.

But then, they'll just complain about the "weak division" or some such garbage.

jb

Agreed. There are few things more foolish than people voting on what could happen.

Curry is a LB. That's all he is. A great LB is only a LB. You aren't winning championships if you LBs are great and your DL is lousy. Just as you aren't winning championships if your TE is great and your OL is lousy.

What do people think Curry could do for us? He'd rack up 120+ tackles on a 2-14 team. We'd be 2-14 because we couldn't stop the run or rush the passer. Curry's a great player, but he doesn't play at important enough of a position to help our defense out of the cellar of the NFL.

EDIT: Yeah, it's the first few months of the era. People don't realize this isn't Madden. You can't make top free agents sign with you. You can't trade scrubs for draft picks. You can't trade down on a whim. Pioli's done as much as any huiman being could given the mess of a roster he inherited.

chief31
05-10-2009, 10:19 PM
For some reason, people are trying to pretend either Belichick or Pioli was the brains of the Pats. The answer is that neither was. Or both were. It isn't an either/or thing. Both were expert talent evaluators and both shared similar personnel philosophies. Belichick will excel without Pioli and Pioli will excel without Belichick. Because both are smart and know the way to run a franchise in today's NFL.

Being better than last year isn't hard, I'll admit. But we're building this team right. We're signing good, cheap FAs and building our lines in the draft. My big regret is that we didn't sign more OL, but again, we're only one year into the Pioli/Haley era!

Your opinion about the Pats' greatness being a product of both Haley and Pioli is no less arguable than those who would give credit to one of them over the other.

The fact is, much like any others who have come from that staff, there is a huge question of rather or not he was doing a great job, or if Bellichick's work was making those around him look good.

Those who choose to have faith, or trust, in Pioli are fine by me. But I can't do it. Not with the doubts that immediately jump at me.

As far as building the team right, I certainly agree with the notion of building your lines.

But, much like you did prior to the draft, I feel like the NT was the D-line spot that was highly deficient. And the O-line was definitely missing a couple of starters.

We have alot of talent available to play 3-4 DE. Guys that have gotten a bad rap from the last staff's mistakes.

We reached in the draft, to try and fill-in team needs. But the primary needs were overlooked, for a position that was overflowing with talented guys.

Hopefully, that works out for us. But I have serious doubts about reaching for positons that I thought were pretty well taken care of.

All the while, leaving the NT, RT and C positions as-is. (So far)

But, the only reason I posted in this thread is because you said that 'anyone who has problems with this offseason isn't paying attention' and, while I give us a pretty good grade, I do still have doubts and dislikes about it, and I have been paying attention.

jmlamerson
05-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Your opinion about the Pats' greatness being a product of both Haley and Pioli is no less arguable than those who would give credit to one of them over the other.

The fact is, much like any others who have come from that staff, there is a huge question of rather or not he was doing a great job, or if Bellichick's work was making those around him look good..

Assuming you mean Belichick instead of Haley, I don't see it as a terribly debatable point. Look at how every Pats exec has done well and every Pats coach had done badly. That's because the execs realize why teams succeed and the HCs don't.

It's like Herm v. Dungy. Dungy knows why the Cover 2 succeeds. Herm didn't. That why Dungy's a HOFer and Herm's a living joke. Pioli and Belichick both know that Pats system. That's why the Manginis and McDaniels of the worls are bottom feeders and the Dimitroffs, Belichicks and Piolis aren't.

Those who choose to have faith, or trust, in Pioli are fine by me. But I can't do it. Not with the doubts that immediately jump at me.

As far as building the team right, I certainly agree with the notion of building your lines.

But, much like you did prior to the draft, I feel like the NT was the D-line spot that was highly deficient. And the O-line was definitely missing a couple of starters.

We have alot of talent available to play 3-4 DE. Guys that have gotten a bad rap from the last staff's mistakes.

We reached in the draft, to try and fill-in team needs. But the primary needs were overlooked, for a position that was overflowing with talented guys.

Hopefully, that works out for us. But I have serious doubts about reaching for positons that I thought were pretty well taken care of.

All the while, leaving the NT, RT and C positions as-is. (So far)

But, the only reason I posted in this thread is because you said that 'anyone who has problems with this offseason isn't paying attention' and, while I give us a pretty good grade, I do still have doubts and dislikes about it, and I have been paying attention.

I've never pretended that I wanted anything other than Raji in the 1st. Pioli and Haley obviously did not see what I saw in him. They are going to muddle through 2009 with Edwards/Tank and draft a NToTF in 2010. I think you overestimate Turk, Boone, and the rest. We have only Jackson as a legitimate DL prospect. Dorsey and Magee are prospects. Edwards and Tank are stopgaps. Everyone else is cut.

I think we're set at C in Goff in 2009. RG is going to be Niswanger, I think.

All of us have the things we'd do instead in 2009. I'd have made RT my #1 priority. But, to perhaps put in a better way, our GM has done as much as any one person could given the deficiencies of the personnel he inherited. No GM alive could have done better.

Chiefster
05-11-2009, 08:24 AM
I agree with you both in that, I think, more should have been done to address the glearing needs present in our OL. IMO.

jmlamerson
05-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I agree with you both in that, I think, more should have been done to address the glearing needs present in our OL. IMO.

Yeah, I'm terrified that McIntosh is somehow going to be a Chiefs starting OT for what feels like the tenth year in a row. I understand our not drafting a RG or RT (except Brown, who doesn't look ready for the NFL yet) - our draft was focused on stopping the run and filling in some gaps at the skill positions.

It just seems like those are positions we could have and should have filled via FA.

pbatrucker
05-11-2009, 09:08 AM
It's still early. Hopefully we can still address the OL problems.
:11:

Chiefster
05-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I'm terrified that McIntosh is somehow going to be a Chiefs starting OT for what feels like the tenth year in a row. I understand our not drafting a RG or RT (except Brown, who doesn't look ready for the NFL yet) - our draft was focused on stopping the run and filling in some gaps at the skill positions.

It just seems like those are positions we could have and should have filled via FA.

:lol: I read ya!

It's still early. Hopefully we can still address the OL problems.
:11:

Sure hope you're right.

Pro_Angler
05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I think we will be better then we all think at the OL. We picked up Goff and our other young guys will have a year under thiser belt and with a new HC that has way more offensive experience then the past few years regime.
I think LJ will go off and make d's play us different then last year.